2018 Pack9

18,570 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JCooke93
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Ripper said:

Is JUCO First Baseman Evan Edwards still coming? He was one of the top hitters in the Coastal Plain League this summer. Outperformed Shane Shepard. Hopefully the better player gets the most playing time., whoever that may be. I've never seen Edwards play.
I would put 0 stock into how kids perform in the CPL. Anyhow, wasn't Shane a CPL all star?
CLTWolf
wkdbigpckfan said:

Ripper said:

Is JUCO First Baseman Evan Edwards still coming? He was one of the top hitters in the Coastal Plain League this summer. Outperformed Shane Shepard. Hopefully the better player gets the most playing time., whoever that may be. I've never seen Edwards play.
I would put 0 stock into how kids perform in the CPL. Anyhow, wasn't Shane a CPL all star?

Not sure why Edwards wasn't. All he did was hit .365 with 12 bombs, 13 doubles a triple and 31 RBI from looking at the CPL website. Everywhere this kid plays he just tears the cover off the ball.
Ripper
I understand summer league play is not the arbiter to determine who plays next spring. However, we've all seen Shane Shepard play for three years (albeit in limited duty). Who played 1B this past season during Shane's Junior campaign? Stephen Pitara. That speaks volumes. The Edwards kid appears to have excelled in both JUCO and summer play. Will it translate to ACC? Possible platoon scenario or a third option? My hunch is Edwards wins the
job. You can call me out next spring if I'm wrong.
ScoobyWolf
Ripper said:

There was a blurb in yesterday's (Aug 5) High Point Enterprise that Edwards signed his NLI With the Pack .
JCooke93
Yes He is Still Coming to the Pack 9 This Fall
rwwalsh
I still think Edwards is the clear favorite for the 1B job. Shane has always had the talent, but at some point he's going to have to start hitting in an NCSU jersey.

Anyone know how good defensively Gulakowski is at 3B? Seems to be the biggest question mark in our lineup.
JCooke93
Brady has done a pretty good job at 3B
JCooke93
This will be the last year of Avent's Contract
JCooke93
Evan Edwards Had A Other good game last night
ClePack
Ripper said:

I am hoping Edwards win the 1B job.
JCooke93
I really like are roster
Bismarck
JCooke93 said:

This will be the last year of Avent's Contract

Didn't realize that. He has nothing beyond this year?
JCooke93
Nope
JCooke93
The 2017 Fall Baseball Season Full Roster is Now Out on Gopack.com
JCooke93
This Coming Season Will Be A Make or Break Year For The Pack 9
Ripper
What do you mean by "Make or Break"? For Avent? For the future of the program? The last 10 years we have been in 8 NCAA's, been to 3 super Regionals, with the one Omaha appearance. Not bad overall. But that also includes some insane losses. Will the University start spending some cash on the program with a great 2018 season or are they waiting until they replace Avent?
JCooke93
Make or break for Avent with 1 year left on his contract
JCooke93
And The Wolfpack Club and Yow are the ones in charge of putting $ in to the Pack 9 Program
DanielWilsonIPS
JCooke93 said:

This Coming Season Will Be A Make or Break Year For The Pack 9

Couldn't agree more, especially with McLain and Deatherage opting not to sign their pro contracts and Piedmonte granted another year of eligibility (dude's just never going to leave, is he?).

The only real question for me in terms of position is third base. Every other position is either a lock or has enough depth. Left-center-right isn't going to change from last year, Wilson's going to shift from second to short, and Pitarra's going to move back to second. That leaves Shepard and Edwards at first and Debo, Conley, and Gulakowski behind the plate. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they do what they did with Knizner a few years back, but in reverse. I can imagine any of the four catchers (including freshman Patrick Bailey) getting time during fall practices learning the hot corner. At this point, this is speculation though. I'll have my time at Doak Field to get as much intel as possible.
JCooke93
JCooke93
I think that 3B will be between R.Johnston Brady Gulakowski David Vazquez Steven.O and Maybe D.Cooper
JCooke93
And I Think Catching is Between J.Conley B.Debo and P.Bailey
JCooke93
And I Think that 1B is between S.Shepard E.Edwards Brady Gulakowski And Steven.O
JCooke93
Just got a commit from Miami Dade College and he just finished his FR Year and he is a SS/2B Brian Rey Not sure if he will be on the team this fall or not till next fall ?
DanielWilsonIPS
MDC is a JUCO, so more than likely, he'd be available for this coming season.
JCooke93
CLTWolf
DanielWilsonIPS said:

MDC is a JUCO, so more than likely, he'd be available for this coming season.

Not necessarily. He just finished his FR year so unless he was eligible out of HS he's got another year at Miami Dade. His numbers were damn good last year so he'd be a welcomed addition but he'd fill a bigger need next year with Pitarra gone, I'm thinking. Since classes just started doesn't seem like he's already in raleigh.
JCooke93
Let's Eat
Ripper
If Rey has another great JUCO season, there is a good chance he gets drafted and never suits up for us. Similar to Christian Williams (3B) from the 2015 draft and Tucker Davidson (LHP) from the 2016 draft. Hopefully he makes it here.
CLTWolf
Ripper said:

If Rey has another great JUCO season, there is a good chance he gets drafted and never suits up for us. Similar to Christian Williams (3B) from the 2015 draft and Tucker Davidson (LHP) from the 2016 draft. Hopefully he makes it here.

That's the risk w/ all of these kids.
JCooke93
Yup
JCooke93
The 2017 Pack 9 Fall Baseball Season is Just Around The Corner
DanielWilsonIPS
And I'll be there for IPS and PTB.
JCooke93
I Can't Wait
JCooke93
I think in RF Brock and Hunter Baker And in LF Brett Kinneman And Lawson MacArthur

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.