2023 NC State Women's Cross Country 11/19 NCAA CHAMPS!

36,161 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DrummerboyWolf said:

I hope the Powers That Be like Chancellor Woodson and AD Corrigan are planning on honoring these young ladies Saturday night at the football game. If you have connections to those two and anybody else who can get this done, then it needs to happen. I know most of the girls might be going home to visit family, but hopefully they can come back a little early on Saturday and get the recognition they so deservedly have earned.

I won't be going to the game on Saturday, but if they honor these ladies, please give them a standing ovation for what they have accomplished. We may never see anything like this again in any sport.

GO PACK!!
The Women's Cross Country team deserves an on field recognition moment during the UNC game.
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfpack91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I hope the Powers That Be like Chancellor Woodson and AD Corrigan are planning on honoring these young ladies Saturday night at the football game. If you have connections to those two and anybody else who can get this done, then it needs to happen. I know most of the girls might be going home to visit family, but hopefully they can come back a little early on Saturday and get the recognition they so deservedly have earned.

I won't be going to the game on Saturday, but if they honor these ladies, please give them a standing ovation for what they have accomplished. We may never see anything like this again in any sport.

GO PACK!!
The Women's Cross Country team deserves an on field recognition moment during the UNC game.
I agree. Maybe at the first TV timeout or right before kick off. The crowd will really get riled up!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfpack91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

GO PACK!!
I agree. Maybe at the first TV timeout or right before kick off. The crowd will really get riled up!
They've honored them during a basketball game in January each of the last 2 years. It would definitely be cool to see it happen in front of the bigger crowd at CF and while its fresh on people's minds, but i'm not sure of the logistics of that turnaround and if all of them plan to be in Raleigh over the holiday break.
GuerrillaPack
cylonwolf has posted the entire broadcast of the NCAA Championships, including the award ceremonies:

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Redwolf
Awesome man I've been looking !!!!
jadawson
The amount of entertainment Cylonwolf has given me over the years is unmatched. The actual GOAT for what they do for State fans.
jadawson
Cool video for those that have just started following the sport in the last year or two on Katelyn Tuohy's entire career thus far (HS included) and her legacy as she is assumed to be leaving college running. (Also lots of shots of Kelsey Chmiel right behind Tuohy).

*Please ignore when the voice calls us the university of north carolina LOL

Redwolf
jadawson said:

Cool video for those that have just started following the sport in the last year or two on Katelyn Tuohy's entire career thus far (HS included) and her legacy as she is assumed to be leaving college running. (Also lots of shots of Kelsey Chmiel right behind Tuohy).

*Please ignore when the voice calls us the university of north carolina LOL

Haha ….I'm color blinded but can still tell the difference between red and baby blue…lol..

Other than that excellent video of then to now.
jadawson
Final Rankings are out from The Stride Report. They are rankings over a whole season, so it's not just the finishing order of nationals, but the NC State women still ranked 1st.

1. NC State Wolfpack (+1 / 2)

Even when everything was against them, the Wolfpack women fought tooth and nail en route to a stunning a one-point victory over Northern Arizona.

On Friday, Coach Laurie Henes informed the press that All-American veteran, Kelsey Chmiel, wouldn't be toeing the line on Saturday due to a late-season injury. That was a major blow for the Wolfpack who were already having different challenges with Amaris Tyynismaa and Sam Bush throughout the season.

Things only got worse for NC State as the 2022 NCAA XC Championship individual winner, Katelyn Tuohy, continued to fall back from the lead on Saturday. Tuohy, who we later learned was ill, fell as low as 11th place, but rallied late to finish 5th overall.

With a handful of young backend runners, the challenges were mounting for NC State while their odds of a national title seemingly dwindled.

Amaris Tyynismaa, a two-time, top-10 All-American at Alabama, bounced back insanely well after recording two consecutive DNFs leading up the cross country national meet. Tyynismaa's 25th place finish was perfectly matched by Sam Bush's 28th place finish, giving NC State a pair of unbelievably clutch middle-lineup results. Neither of those women had run anything this season which suggested that they would be top-30 All-Americans.

From there, it came down to what the remaining runners would do. Leah Stephens, who impressed earlier this season, competed well in her first showing at the NCAA XC Championships by finishing 43rd. And then there was the ever-consistent redshirt rookie scorer, Grace Hartman, who was 16 seconds back in 63rd place.

As the live results continued to change, NC State was hoping for a miracle. Losing handily to NAU earlier this season at Nuttycombe, the Wolfpack knew that they had to be at their best to take down the Lumberjacks in Virginia. And sure enough, that's exactly what happened when the scoreboard read "NC State: 123 points, Northern Arizona: 124 points."

The women of Raleigh were awarded with their third-consecutive NCAA title this past weekend by using every card they had. Only happy tears were shed for NC State...probably because they return to our TSR #1 spot, right?

jadawson
Chills

https://instagr.am/p/Cz9p9eovEYN
rbtrackfan
Here is what the NAU coach had to say after the meet. [Mike] Smith put best what he and others saw from the Wolfpack on Saturday morning:

"The thing about the team that beat us, they were dealt a massive blow of adversity with one of their top athletes out with an injury, and look how they responded," he said. "That's the team we would aspire to be if we could be."

That is coming from a coach whose Men's team won 3 in a row twice and 6 out of 7.
GuerrillaPack
rbtrackfan said:

Here is what the NAU coach had to say after the meet. [Mike] Smith put best what he and others saw from the Wolfpack on Saturday morning:

"The thing about the team that beat us, they were dealt a massive blow of adversity with one of their top athletes out with an injury, and look how they responded," he said. "That's the team we would aspire to be if we could be."

That is coming from a coach whose Men's team won 3 in a row twice and 6 out of 7.
That's quite the compliment, coming from him.

I recognize you from the letsrun forum. Thanks for stopping by.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

Chills

https://instagr.am/p/Cz9p9eovEYN
That was a very nice video. Thanks for sharing!
GuerrillaPack
Good article on the championship, with quotes from Coach Henes, Amaris Tyynismaa, and Mike Smith:

https://trackandfieldnews.com/with-an-ace-veteran-absent-nc-state-dug-deep/

Quote:

With An Ace Veteran Absent NC State Dug Deep

November 20, 2023 by Ricky Quintana

AFTER SATURDAY'S DRAMATIC NCAA Cross team victory over favored Northern Arizona, NC State coach Laurie Henes found herself at a loss to single out one runner who stood out on her Wolfpack team. "Every one of them dug as deep as they could," she said of the 123-124 win over the Lumberjacks which lengthened her team's streak of titles to three.

The Wolfpack had experienced struggles with injuries all season and this was exacerbated with the news that 3-time All America senior Kelsey Chmiel had a broken foot and junior Katelyn Tuohy entered Saturday's race after being sick for a day and a half beforehand an adverse circumstance understandably only revealed after the race.

Henes met the adversity head on and told her team nothing would change, only that they would be less deep without Chmiel and that the team would need to manage their emotions.

"I told them we couldn't change our strategy. We were going to do exactly the same thing as though she were in the race. We were going to have a little bit more depth if she was in the race. We talk about managing your emotions this time of year because the teams and individuals that manage the stress and their emotions are the ones that do the best. This group did it in an amazing way."

With the Wolfpack's "heart and soul of the team," as Henes put it, sidelined, each of the NC State runners ran strongly from the gun and they sprung into the lead by the 3K mark overtaking early leaders BYU, Northern Arizona and Notre Dame.

The Wolfpack's resilience was most evident in Alabama transfer Amaris Tyynismaa, who had decided to join the Wolfpack after a 1-hour call with Henes after she entered the transfer portal. Her contribution to the team heading into the race was in question after two DNFs at the ACC Champs and Regionals and she said she wasn't even sure if she was going to run nationals. Henes said that in a prerace talk on Friday she could see Tyynismaa's demeanor had changed.

"Sometimes when you talk to people the day before you can tell a big difference. And there was definitely a big difference yesterday," Henes said. "Amaris, with the Kelsey situation, said, 'Well, this is what I came here for, to try to win national team titles and it's my turn to get it done,' and that's what she did."

For Tyynismaa the problems she had at conference and the regional were set aside.

"I didn't finish at ACCs and I didn't finish at regionals," she said. "At regionals, to be honest, I was struggling mentally. This team is incredible. I can't even describe it in words how much they mean to me, but maybe today showed it because I pulled through. I was just running with heart today. I knew I had it in me, the staff knew I had it in me, and the girls and Henes. We were a little nervous, but I knew I was going to come through for my team."

Though the team was running well, Henes posted herself at 5K to reassure them.

"I was screaming at them at 5K that they were still winning," said the coach. "You could tell that people didn't feel great so I wanted them to know that they had a chance to win it and I think they heard that."

Tyynismaa used her coach's prerace and in-race words to keep fighting throughout: "That's what coach was saying before the race no matter how you felt to keep on fighting and that's what I was thinking about. I was foaming at the mouth at 3K and I got a little nervous but I said I was going to keep on going and do this for my team.

"At 5K, I heard Coach say, 'Five people,' and I said, 'Five people, baby!' That's my woman!"

In all, the Wolfpack got great efforts from the whole squad. (Don't miss the full account in our news story.)

Northern Arizona coach Mike Smith saw from just after the start that his Lumberjacks were in for a close race with the Wolfpack.

"I knew very early on that we were not in great positioning," said Smith who resorted to doing a quick count on his own after electronic live results stalled on his phone. "We knew we were going to have a battle on our hands because we didn't have people in the early positions where we would like them. If you go back and look at the 2K and 3K, not much changed from that point on."

But Smith was proud of his team's finish, the highest for Lumberjack women in school history.

"This meet is unlike any other meet," Smith said. "You can get a false sense of where you are in your performances at other meets in the year. You have to figure out this game and what it takes. For the men's team [champions the past 3 years and at 6 of the last 7 nationals before this one], we've gotten a lot of experience in what it takes on this level. This is a big day for us to be operating like this, but we need some experience operating on this level."

Smith put best what he and others saw from the Wolfpack on Saturday morning:

Redwolf
I find myself very interested in a few sports teams , swimming as I was a swimmer as a young man, that's always attracted my attention.
But sports like wrestling, tennis, and cross country… others as well. Not just because we are winning at those disciplines, but because I see past the sport, I see the heart of these young men and women, the coaches that have such drive and love for their sport. I see the effort involved in becoming an elite athlete, also the way they lift each other up. The fact that they do it only for the love of it. There isn't a golden pot at the end for these athletes.
What mostly attracted me though is the loyalty they share with each other, that is so impressive and something they will always have fundamentally.
Watching these young ladies during and after nationals, you can help but feel the connection.
GuerrillaPack
Redwolf said:

I find myself very interested in a few sports teams , swimming as I was a swimmer as a young man, that's always attracted my attention.
But sports like wrestling, tennis, and cross country… others as well. Not just because we are winning at those disciplines, but because I see past the sport, I see the heart of these young men and women, the coaches that have such drive and love for their sport. I see the effort involved in becoming an elite athlete, also the way they lift each other up. The fact that they do it only for the love of it. There isn't a golden pot at the end for these athletes.
What mostly attracted me though is the loyalty they share with each other, that is so impressive and something they will always have fundamentally.
Watching these young ladies during and after nationals, you can help but feel the connection.

Well said. I've mentioned this before, but for about the first 15 years of being a Wolfpack fan, I mainly only followed football and men's basketball, with a very little bit of baseball and women's basketball. Then, about 5 years ago, I started following NC State club ice hockey. A few years later, in 2020, I started following Wolfpack wrestling, women's tennis, and women's cross country...and paying more attention to women's basketball. In 2022 I started going to volleyball and swimming. Now, my favorite Wolfpack sports to follow, by far, are the "non-revenue" sports. Obviously it helps that we are having an extremely high level of success and notoriety in these sports -- especially women's cross country, women's tennis, wrestling, and swimming.

In hindsight, of course, I wish I had been following these non-revenue sports for my entire ~20 years of being a Wolfpack fan. It's strange that it took me so long to finally "wake up" and take notice. But once you invest in following them, it's just as exciting and interesting to follow as football or men's basketball. And there's been many more high points for me in following the non-revenue sports over just the last 3 years than 20 years of the revenue sports -- notably, including intimately following 3 national championships in women's cross country, 3 wrestling ACC championship teams, and an ACC championship in women's tennis and run to the national finals.
Redwolf
It's been a lot of fun digging in. So much involved, as much as the big 3, I just didn't see it.
GuerrillaPack
In the latest Instagram post from Katelyn Tuohy, it sounds like she can't believe that they were actually able to pull out the win. Clearly, that's one of the reasons why Tuohy and the team were so emotional after the race when they found out they had won -- along with her being sick, the emotion of not having Kelsey, and all the other adversity faced all season. It was almost miraculous. I thought they had virtually no chance to win after knowing Kelsey was out, and didn't watch the race live...but after hearing they had won, was immediately almost brought to tears.

Quote:

katelyntuohy A crazy ending to the season. Odds were stacked against us but we showed up and ran for each other. I am still in disbelief that we have been able to win three years in a row, a true testament to this team's resilience and perseverance. It has been an absolute honor running with these ladies over the past few years. As always, Go Pack

https://instagr.am/p/C0Cd5cEAQsY
Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

In the latest Instagram post from Katelyn Tuohy, it sounds like she can't believe they were actually able to pull out the win. Clearly, that's one of the reasons why Tuohy and the team were so emotional after the race when they found out they had won -- along her being sick, the emotion of not having Kelsey, and all the other adversity faced all season. It was almost miraculous. I thought they virtually had no chance to win after knowing Kelsey was out, and didn't watch the race live...but after hearing they had won, was immediately almost brought to tears.

Quote:

katelyntuohy A crazy ending to the season. Odds were stacked against us but we showed up and ran for each other. I am still in disbelief that we have been able to win three years in a row, a true testament to this team's resilience and perseverance. It has been an absolute honor running with these ladies over the past few years. As always, Go Pack

The 83' team of cross country!,,
GuerrillaPack
Redwolf said:

Given their fitness/injury situation going into the race, very similar. Had the team been fully healthy all season, they were so loaded with talent that they would have likely won in a route, with either the lowest or 2nd lowest point total in NCAA Championship history -- something like Tuohy, Chmiel, Tyynismaa, Bush, and Stephens scoring 1/3/7/12/30 for a total of around 50-55 points. But dealing with injuries is a big part of the sport, so you need quality depth.
Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Redwolf said:

Given their fitness/injury situation going into the race, very similar. Had the team been fully healthy all season, they were so loaded with talent that they would have likely won in a route, with either the lowest or 2nd lowest point total in NCAA Championship history -- something like Tuohy, Chmiel, Tyynismaa, Bush, and Stephens scoring 1/3/7/12/30 for a total of around 50-55 points. But dealing with injuries is a big part of the sport, so you need quality depth.
Playing through adversity..I love that that's the cut of our jib !
GuerrillaPack
Reaction to the NCAA Championships from The Stride Report.

TSR analyst/host, Garrett, says that although the term "miracle" is overused in sports, that this NC State victory was a genuine sports "miracle" and "one of the most impressive performances he's ever seen in cross country" -- due to having Chmiel out, Tuohy sick, and both Bush and Tyynismaa's performance being a big question mark coming into the race (from 2:25 - 9:00 minutes in video).

Wolfer79
Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

In the latest Instagram post from Katelyn Tuohy, it sounds like she can't believe that they were actually able to pull out the win. Clearly, that's one of the reasons why Tuohy and the team were so emotional after the race when they found out they had won -- along with her being sick, the emotion of not having Kelsey, and all the other adversity faced all season. It was almost miraculous. I thought they had virtually no chance to win after knowing Kelsey was out, and didn't watch the race live...but after hearing they had won, was immediately almost brought to tears.

Quote:

https://instagr.am/p/C0Cd5cEAQsY
I still have to get use to the lowest number wins. It's still odd to look at lol
GuerrillaPack
Ben with The Stride Report gives his thoughts on the NCAA Championships (discusses women's team results from 6:40 - 11:00 in video). He says he "doesn't know how NC State won" and figured NC State had about 15% chance to win once it was known Chmiel was out, and would have given the Wolfpack "a 5% chance" to win Nationals if at the beginning of the year it was known that Chmiel would have been out, Tuohy sick, Tyynismaa having not finished a race prior to Nationals and DNF'd twice, and Sam Bush at sub peak form.

Looking forward to next year, he says NAU and NC State will probably be the top two teams again, and he wouldn't bet against NC State to be in contention to win, especially due to being able to add runners via the transfer portal.

Redwolf
Thanks for posting these GP .. it's a learning g process so I appreciate the clips.. I would say I'm understanding all of it at an elementary school level…but that's the process.
Cheers
GuerrillaPack
Redwolf said:

Thanks for posting these GP .. it's a learning g process so I appreciate the clips.. I would say I'm understanding all of it at an elementary school level…but that's the process.
Cheers
No problem. For more, in addition to The Stride Report, go to the FloTrack, CITIUS MAG, and letsrundotcom YouTube channels. They've got several recaps and interviews up.
Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Redwolf said:

Cheers
No problem. For more, in addition to The Stride Report, go to the FloTrack, CITIUS MAG, and letsrundotcom YouTube channels. They've got several recaps and interviews up.

Definitely will add to my subscription list ty
jadawson
Confirmation of the transfer Nairo alluded to a while back. Should be a huge pickup for our program.

https://instagr.am/p/C0cTFUep_6wc7aJ6m4y1t2_rycgumzt2WqbkRo0
jadawson
Not sure why that instagram link isn't showing, but here's another post about Fiona Smith's transfer

https://instagr.am/p/C0caI-yuooG
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

Not sure why that instagram link isn't showing, but here's another post about Fiona Smith's transfer

https://instagr.am/p/C0caI-yuooG
Great news for the team! Got a lot to replace, but this is a great start!
toddl
Staff
Commit Bethany Michalak finished 2nd at NXN over the weekend. Finishing 2nd to anyone named Ritzenhein is a great result. Hopefully she can provide some solid depth next year as well, despite our hesitancy to using true freshmen.
https://live.athletictiming.net/meets/29011/xc-events/1036559/results

I'm unsure about how high to get my hopes up for Fiona Smith. Great experience and great results, but her times don't set the world on fire. Runaway national champion in D3 will be competing for our top 5.
https://www.tfrrs.org/athletes/7738747/St_Benedict/Fiona_Smith.html
And as soon as I say that I see she dropped a 15:50 on Saturday at BU. There you go, that's pretty good. Her 2022-2023 seasons were full of 16:10-20s, which is fine. 15:50 is on par with Grace Hartman.
jadawson
toddl said:

Commit Bethany Michalak finished 2nd at NXN over the weekend. Finishing 2nd to anyone named Ritzenhein is a great result. Hopefully she can provide some solid depth next year as well, despite our hesitancy to using true freshmen.

I'm unsure about how high to get my hopes up for Fiona Smith. Great experience and great results, but her times don't set the world on fire. Runaway national champion in D3 will be competing for our top 5.
And as soon as I say that I see she dropped a 15:50 on Saturday at BU. There you go, that's pretty good. Her 2022-2023 seasons were full of 16:10-20s, which is fine. 15:50 is on par with Grace Hartman.

transferring up divisions can definitely be difficult to grasp what to expect and D3 prospects can be hit or miss. Sometimes the step up in training partners and competition brings out a new level in them, sometimes they are the same runner as they were before. If we get the same runner she was before 15:50/33:05 PB range, then like you said she's a very nice complimentary piece who should be a complementary backend scorer for the type of team we want to be.

There is precedent for someone taking a massive leap forward going from dominating D3 to the D1 level with Alex Phillip who transferred to UNC this fall. He was 4:04/7:53/13:47 which is basically Ian Harrison from our team for reference who was 80th in XC last year. Phillip was 17th at XC nationals this year.

https://www.tfrrs.org/athletes/7364202/North_Carolina/Alex_Phillip.html

Even if the jump isn't that drastic, a reliable 30-40th place all-american runner would do wonders for our team next year.
Redwolf
toddl said:

Is there a sport you're not on top of toddl…?
Man mad props …I'm lucky if I remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
Kidding aside I for one really appreciate the stats and breakdowns from you thanks .
I will admit thought half of it at the moment goes right over my head , but I'm getting better.
toddl
Staff
Redwolf said:

toddl said:

Is there a sport you're not on top of toddl…?
Man mad props …I'm lucky if I remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
Kidding aside I for one really appreciate the stats and breakdowns from you thanks .
I will admit thought half of it at the moment goes right over my head , but I'm getting better.

XC is the one I care about.
Football is just a way to be a pain in the ass and tell people they're wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.