2023 NC State Women's Cross Country 11/19 NCAA CHAMPS!

36,150 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by GuerrillaPack
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now showing the Pack with 52 points, but still way ahead. They only count the top 5 isn't that correct?
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

Now showing the Pack with 52 points, but still way ahead. They only count the top 5 isn't that correct?
Yes top 5. But the way they scoring sites work is they wont count a teams score at all until they have 5 runners across for some reason so thats why you see the scores periodically get higher as individual runners who place higher up get added when their team gets a full 5 across.
Wolfer79
Nairo
UNC is trash. All that talent and they proceed to get smashed.
jadawson
Nairo said:

UNC is trash. All that talent and they proceed to get smashed.

I understand they've had injuries but they've had several years running of top tier recruiting classes so you'd think they have a bit more depth built up. 5th at nationals to not making it at all with no graduations from that top 7 is wild.
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

so Tyynismaa is obviously a downer and Henes is going to have to weigh if she thinks she can finish at nationals. Running 6 finishing runners is a big risk.

Positive signs from today: Sam Bush is pretty much back IMO. She just needs to start a bit more confidently. She just had one of the best closing K's in the field which has been her trademark for the past few years. Hartman was really solid again as was Quarzo. Throw in Chmiel and Stephens and that is 6 really capable runners.
Until we hear what happened, we will have to wait and see about Amaris.

Just a thought that maybe Coach Henes is just saving her for nationals and playing a little game with teams like NAU. Coach knew at 5K that the team was going to win and may have just shut Tyynismaa down. Hopefully her chip just stopped working and she finished, but who knows.

They are showing her as a DNF right now.
GuerrillaPack
Incredibly bummed about Tyynismaa. Looked good through the 3.5k split, only 1 second back of Tuohy. Could it be cramps again? Hope it's something minor, and she can bring the A game at nationals, but that doesn't seem likely given the results of the last 2 races. Hartman ran really well today...maybe she can up her game and finish ~20-30 at nationals to give us a chance against NAU. Still planning to drive up to Charlottesville for the championship, but not feeling good right now about us beating NAU.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
toddl
Staff
Amaris looked good at the mile and was in the lead group. At 2 miles she was back several spots and looked rough (she kinda has a jerky stride, so some of that is just her normal gait). Next time I saw them was at finish and she wasn't there.

Sam finished strong, as she normally does. Zipped past Hartman at 200m like she was standing still.
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

so Tyynismaa is obviously a downer and Henes is going to have to weigh if she thinks she can finish at nationals. Running 6 finishing runners is a big risk.

Positive signs from today: Sam Bush is pretty much back IMO. She just needs to start a bit more confidently. She just had one of the best closing K's in the field which has been her trademark for the past few years. Hartman was really solid again as was Quarzo. Throw in Chmiel and Stephens and that is 6 really capable runners.

Just a thought that maybe Coach Henes is just saving her for nationals and playing a little game with teams like NAU. Coach knew at 5K that the team was going to win and may have just shut Tyynismaa down. Hopefully her chip just stopped working and she finished, but who knows.

Obviously we aren't privy to the coaching decisions so we can't say for sure, but i dont see any benefit to playing games with a team like NAU. Getting Tyynismaa confidence in finishing well if she's able would be the priority i would think. I think if we were confident in her fitness but wanted there to be an unknown for NAU we would have just sat her today and ran Gapes or someone else.
TheStorm
Date of NCAA Championships?

*Y'all did a great job with this today.
jadawson
TheStorm said:

Date of NCAA Championships?
Next Saturday the 18th
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

Obviously we aren't privy to the coaching decisions so we can't say for sure, but i dont see any benefit to playing games with a team like NAU. Getting Tyynismaa confidence in finishing well if she's able would be the priority i would think. I think if we were confident in her fitness but wanted there to be an unknown for NAU we would have just sat her today and ran Gapes or someone else.
Just an idea. I am not dialed into all the nuances of Cross County like you, GP, and others are.

I think Coach Henes has earned her trust in the way she handles things. The girls will be ready next week. It will be tough, but we will see how it goes.
toddl
Staff
I wouldn't bet my house on them winning ncaas next week, but they have a reasonable chance
jadawson
toddl said:

I wouldn't bet my house on them winning ncaas next week, but they have a reasonable chance
basically where i am. Without confidence in Tyynismaa being up there i wouldn't say we're favorites but there's still a chance.
Wolfer79
TO THE 'SHIP

The NC State women's team finishes with 52 points to take first and win its seventh-straight NCAA Southeast Regional Championship and move on to Nattys!

DrummerboyWolf
Here is the story of today's win from GoPack and a picture of the ladies holding an NCAA Punched ticket.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/10/cross-country-wolfpack-women-take-home-seventh-straight-ncaa-regional-title

Wolfer79
UP NEXT With the victory, the women's squad captured an automatic bid to the 2023 NCAA Cross Country Championships in Charlottesville, VA on November 18.

The men's team will await seeding for a potential at-large bid that will be announced during the 2023 NCAA Selection show which will be streamed on NCAA.com tomorrow (I think Saturday) at 5:00 p.m.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/10/cross-country-wolfpack-women-take-home-seventh-straight-ncaa-regional-title
Wolfer79
This weekend, #UVa is set to host the NCAA Cross Country Championships for the first time since 1987. Here are five things to know about Saturday's event at Panorama Farms.

Race schedule
The women's race, which is a 6K run, is scheduled to begin at 10:20 a.m. It will be followed by the men's race, which is a 10K event, at 11:10 a.m. The meet will be broadcast live on ESPNU.

How to get tickets
Tickets for Saturday's event are $20 and can be purchased at UVATix.com. All tickets are being sold in advance online. No on-site sales will be available. Fans ages 2 years and older will be required to have a ticket.

Parking and shuttle service
There will no on-site parking at Panorama Farms for the NCAA Championships. UVa will be providing round-trip shuttle service from Fashion Square Mall to Panorama Farms. The shuttle service is included in the price of the event ticket and does not cost any extra.

Outgoing shuttles will begin running at 6:45 a.m. and run until 9:30 a.m., while returning shuttles begin at 11 a.m. and run until 1:30 p.m.

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/college/cavalierinsider/five-things-to-know-about-saturdays-ncaa-cross-country-championships-at-panorama-farms/article_44cd3d52-8232-11ee-ab76-9bebc4115e04.html
toddl
Staff
https://virginiasports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=XC&linkID=virginia&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Tickets are sold out, so if you were planning on going, I hope you got your tickets early.
GuerrillaPack
There's a thread on Let's Run forum with people saying there's a "rumor" or that they've heard Kelsey Chmiel has a foot fracture and had surgery last week. Not sure what to make of this, whether it could be true or people trolling.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
toddl
Staff
At regionals she looked fine, from the minute or two I saw her. No boot, no limp.
GuerrillaPack
toddl said:

At regionals she looked fine, from the minute or two I saw her. No boot, no limp.

Good news. Thanks. One of the people in the thread claimed that people saw Chmiel at the Regional in crutches, which seems to be clearly false. So maybe this is all not true. But several different accounts on Let's Run claim they "heard" that Chmiel has a foot injury.

And, correction…they are claiming that she had surgery this week, with one person even being so specific as to claim the surgery was on Tuesday and that " She had a navicular fracture that had to be pinned". Another person claimed that they heard she had injured her foot, but they thought she might race through it.
jadawson
As all sites that allow anonymity with no signup suffer from, Letsrun is famous for trolls trying to get a rise out of people. Best to take all unsourced info that doesn't come from their staff with a mountain of salt, whether positive or negative.
toddl
Staff
Well, that'd be the nail in the coffin. We're on thin ice anyway and need our top 5 to all run great in order to win. Without her, second place would probably be pretty optimistic. Guess we'll see on Saturday.
Wolfer79
jadawson
The Stride Report put out their preview/prediction article today. Two writers picked Tuohy to win and one picked Valby. All 3 considered it pretty much a coinflip (one even flipped a coin to decide who to pick).

As for team title, all 3 picked NAU. First writer put odds to win at NAU 55%, NC State 25%, Field 20%, Second writer had it at NAU 60%, NC State 30%, Field 10%, 3rd writer had it at NA 45%, NC state 35%, Field 20%

I'm not sure how much % i'd give the field in this one. I think NAU is so deep it would take something catastrophic for them to have a bad enough day for someone other than NC State to beat them. I might go something like 55% NAU, 40% NC State, 5% field.

It's going to be fun to watch win or lose as its likely to be the end of an era for this team.
GuerrillaPack
The user "Tuffy" (believed to be an insider to the program) posted this on the Let's Run forum thread on Chmiel's possible injury:

"All I will say is that there is a lot of misinformation being reported on here. She did not have surgery this week. She was at regionals with the team. That is all I will report at this time so as to not provide a competitive edge to any other teams."

Assuming that's the real Tuffy and actual intel, that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence that Chmiel is healthy and ready to go.
DrummerboyWolf
GuerrillaPack said:

The user "Tuffy" (believed to be an insider to the program) posted this on the Let's Run forum thread on Chmiel's possible injury:

"All I will say is that there is a lot of misinformation being reported on here. She did not have surgery this week. She was at regionals with the team. That is all I will report at this time so as to not provide a competitive edge to any other teams."

Assuming that's the real Tuffy and actual intel, that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence that Chmiel is healthy and ready to go.
I think you are reading too much into this. I don't see it as anything different than any coach would say about a possible player being injured. I hope she is healthy and from that statement, I believe she is. "Tuffy" is putting that seed of doubt into the other teams' minds in my opinion. Don't they put the lists of who is participating for each team out tomorrow anyway?
GuerrillaPack
DrummerboyWolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I think you are reading too much into this. I don't see it as anything different than any coach would say about a possible player being injured. I hope she is healthy and from that statement, I believe she is. "Tuffy" is putting that seed of doubt into the other teams' minds in my opinion. Don't they put the lists of who is participating for each team out tomorrow anyway?
Of course I hope you are right, and I could see that being a possibility - that Tuffy would play coy, when in fact Chmiel is fine and will race. However, I've read many posts by Tuffy over the last year or so, and he's usually pretty blunt and clear about injuries and who would or would not be running. So if Chmiel was fully healthy, I would have expcted Tuffy to just come right out and say that she was fine and not injured. That's why I also consider it a possibility that Chmiel is, in fact, injured and won't run and that's why he doesn't want to admit it, for competitive advantage.

And although there certainly is a lot of trolling and misinformation on the Let's Run forums (from average Joe yahoos), there are genuine insiders and people "in the know" (eg, coaches and athletes of other programs) who post there. So it's a mixed bag. For example, there were coaches (who had access to the transfer portal) that posted about Starliper being in the portal several days before it was made "official". It's very possible that other coaches/athletes have leaked the info about Chmiel out, and it's made its way to the boards.

Hopefully we will get an answer some time tomorrow, with the pre-race press conference and interview with Coach Henes, or other pictures and info that may surface. I will also add that Tuohy doesn't look too happy in that photo of her getting off the bus posted on the official account tonight. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, and it could mean nothing. But it's well known that Tuohy cares so much about the team (more than her individual performance).
DrummerboyWolf
GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Of course I hope you are right, and I could see that being a possibility - that Tuffy would play coy, when in fact Chmiel is fine and will race. However, I've read many posts by Tuffy over the last year or so, and he's usually pretty blunt and clear about injuries and who would or would not be running. So I also see the possibility that Chmiel is, in fact, injured and won't run and that's why he doesn't want to admit it, for competitive advantage.

And although there certainly is a lot of trolling and misinformation on the Let's Run forums (from average Joe yahoos), there are genuine insiders and people "in the know" (eg, coaches and athletes of other programs) who post there. So it's a mixed bag. For example, there were coaches (who had access to the transfer portal) that posted about Starliper being in the portal several days before it was made "official". It's very possible that other coaches/athletes have leaked the info about Chmiel out, and it's made its way to the boards.

Hopefully we will get an answer some time tomorrow, with the pre-race press conference and interview with Coach Henes, or other pictures and info that may surface. I will also add that Tuohy doesn't look too happy in that photo of her getting off the bus posted on the official account tonight. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, and it could mean nothing. But it's well known that Tuohy cares so much about the team (more than her individual performance).
It is what it is. No matter which 7 Coach Henes puts out there, I know they will give it their all and try to bring home that 3rd straight National Championship. Hopefully it all works out. No matter where they finish, I am proud as Hell of this group and what they have accomplished. If they lose to NAU, then you tip the cap to them.
Nairo
Chmiel and Stephens were held out of regionals. That's straight from the coach. No injuries, we didn't need them. Unless something suddenly cropped up this week, Chmiel is full go. She was running with the team at ATT the day after regionals.
GuerrillaPack
Nairo said:

Chmiel and Stephens were held out of regionals. That's straight from the coach. No injuries, we didn't need them. Unless something suddenly cropped up this week, Chmiel is full go. She was running with the team at ATT the day after regionals.
Thanks Nairo. Given what you said and that she is apparently not injured and running on Saturday, it seems highly unlikely that she could have gotten injured between Saturday and around Wednesday when these people started posting that she was injured on the letsrun boards. Possible, but pretty unlikely. Then you couple that unlikelihood with the other apparently outright false information (such as her "seen on crutches at the Regional" and "having surgery this week")...then maybe the most likely explanation is that this is all some deliberately false rumor that snowballed to an even bigger false rumor. As I said above, I hope we can get some more clarification from today's press conference, or any other photos/video/info that might come out. Because if Chmiel can't run, I don't know if I would even want to drive all the way up there for the race.
Nairo
The pedophiles and UNC fans on Let's Run are about as credible as The Onion.
Nairo
Looks like it's true unfortunately. Must have surfaced in the last week.
jadawson
Bummer. Think we can still put together a podium team which would be our 4th straight podium finish. Would still be a strong way to go out for the seniors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.