2018 Pack9

18,486 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JCooke93
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Saw somebody ask a question about next year's team in the other thread so figured I'd start a thread. I don't have any insight but I follow the team pretty closely.

Three outfield spots are set with Kinneman, McLain and Deatherage. Wilson and Pitarra up the middle. Corner infield is up for grabs but I assume Shane Shepard will be given every opportunity to start at first. Debo has to be in the lineup but not sure if they'll put him behind the plate or at DH, maybe some reps at first. I've heard good things about the freshman Bailey behind the plate but he won't catch every day. Third base I have no idea. I'd assume some freshmen will be given an opportunity to play there because nobody from last year's team is really a third baseman.

Pitching will hopefully be Feeney, Bienlien and Brown on the weekends. O'Donnell and Staley at the back of the pen. Klyman was excellent last year too. Pitching will be wide open but the weekend rotation and back of the pen should be pretty solid. One of the biggest issues last year was lack of defined roles and depth. If we can define roles and have more depth then we will likely take a step forward. Gauthier and Brabrand will be huge for that reason and I'm sure we've got at least one or two capable freshman. Of course, injuries can change everything especially on the mound, as we've seen the last two years.

I think it's a good team, hopefully we fly under the radar, but I would think it's a regional team at worst. Wilson and Debo are studs. (Debo needs to hit for more power and less contact IMO). One of the knocks on our teams recently is that we haven't had an All American type guy but they've both got that potential. (Not sure I agree with this because Dunand came on last year but whatever, it definitely applied the two years before). It's going to be tough to win the ACC as always but baseball is all about getting hot and peaking in May and June so it's certainly possible. I desperately want to see Avent get the ACC championship and get past the nightmares of the last three years and I think this team can. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible.
CLTWolf
Evan Edwards has been killing the ball this summer and he's known as a big time masher. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts at first.

He's a JUCO transfer originally from the Greensboro area I believe.
89_Grad
wkdbigpckfan said:

"Saw somebody ask a question about next year's team in the other thread so figured I'd start a thread. I don't have any insight but I follow the team pretty closely.

Three outfield spots are set with Kinneman, McLain and Deatherage. Wilson and Pitarra up the middle. Corner infield is up for grabs but I assume Shane Shepard will be given every opportunity to start at first. Debo has to be in the lineup but not sure if they'll put him behind the plate or at DH, maybe some reps at first. I've heard good things about the freshman Bailey behind the plate but he won't catch every day. Third base I have no idea. I'd assume some freshmen will be given an opportunity to play there because nobody from last year's team is really a third baseman.

Pitching will hopefully be Feeney, Bienlien and Brown on the weekends. O'Donnell and Staley at the back of the pen. Klyman was excellent last year too. Pitching will be wide open but the weekend rotation and back of the pen should be pretty solid. One of the biggest issues last year was lack of defined roles and depth. If we can define roles and have more depth then we will likely take a step forward. Gauthier and Brabrand will be huge for that reason and I'm sure we've got at least one or two capable freshman. Of course, injuries can change everything especially on the mound, as we've seen the last two years.

But the reason for that is that our initial starting rotation was so awful that we had to keep rotating people through those roles until we found some that were at least minimally effective. We can't be a top 25 team with Brown as the weekend ace. His game just isn't set up to be that kind of guy. He'd be at best the Sunday starter on a ranked ACC team. Both Feeney and Bienlien had good moments, but each had multiple appearances where they didn't even make it once through the other team's rotation. I'm not very optimistic about starting pitching, based on what I saw last year.
EthanBarry
Staff
I don't agree with not being a top 25 team with Brown as the ace. We were his first two years and last year he battled injuries. Regardless, I think he could be the Sunday starter because Feeney and Bienlien have big potential and that isn't a knock on Brown. Feeney and Bienlien were drafted out of high school and could be top picks (I believe Feeney is draft eligible this year). If they aren't good starters for us nothing else will really matter
CLTWolf
wkdbigpckfan said:

I don't agree with not being a top 25 team with Brown as the ace. We were his first two years and last year he battled injuries. Regardless, I think he could be the Sunday starter because Feeney and Bienlien have big potential and that isn't a knock on Brown. Feeney and Bienlien were drafted out of high school and could be top picks (I believe Feeney is draft eligible this year). If they aren't good starters for us nothing else will really matter
Unless Feeney is old for his class, he's got another 2 years in school. He was a true freshman last year so he's not draft eligible.
rwwalsh
I'd be shocked if Edwards doesn't start at 1B. Guy absolutely racked for USC Lancaster last year, and was also the best defensive 1B. Shan will probably split time off the bench as a corner OF, 1B and probably some DH. Bailey should get the nod behind the plate; switch hitter and was named best defensive catcher in HS by Baseball America. 3B should be either freshman Vasquez or Johnston.
FlockaWolf
From following the NC State baseball account on twitter it seems that Feeney (Cape Cod) and Usselman (Coastal Plains) have pitched well in their summer leagues and those leagues have very good competition.
rwwalsh
FlockaWolf said:

From following the NC State baseball account on twitter it seems that Feeney (Cape Cod) and Usselman (Coastal Plains) have pitched well in their summer leagues and those leagues have very good competition.
Nolan Clenney also had a big start recently. He's a JUCO transfer that I believe was supposed to play last year but got hurt and redshirted. He also can hit but haven't heard if he's coming in as strictly a pitcher.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

Unless Feeney is old for his class, he's got another 2 years in school. He was a true freshman last year so he's not draft eligible.
Couldn't find the birthdays on gopack and didn't feel like looking it up but I'm pretty sure he is old. Regardless, we have him this year
CLTWolf
wkdbigpckfan said:

CLTWolf said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

Couldn't find the birthdays on gopack and didn't feel like looking it up but I'm pretty sure he is old. Regardless, we have him this year

You're right, he's 20 now (turned in May) so he'll be draft eligible this year since he turns 21 within 45 days of the draft. Damn, he's old.
3rdGenPacker
Could see Dillon Cooper competing for playing time at 3rd base as well. No doubt the OF is loaded with all 3 starters back, combined with Pitarra, Wilson and Debo that's the core of a strong team. Just need the pitching to get worked out and guys to have defined roles that stick so they can develop into them.
EthanBarry
Staff
3rdGenPacker said:

Could see Dillon Cooper competing for playing time at 3rd base as well. No doubt the OF is loaded with all 3 starters back, combined with Pitarra, Wilson and Debo that's the core of a strong team. Just need the pitching to get worked out and guys to have defined roles that stick so they can develop into them.
Don't think Cooper has the bat for third, or anywhere really.
Ripper
Does anyone know if Christian Demby is transferring? Demby is playing in Cape Cod with Brett Kinneman for Cotuit. However, he was not mentioned in Gopack.com's summer baseball review. Also, his (private) twitter feed says NSU baseball, not NCSU. NSU is Nova Southeastern University, near where he grew up in Florida. Some of his high school teammates currently play for that school.

He's got a 3.68 ERA in 14.2 innings with 13 K's.
Ripper
Gopack now has the 2018 baseball roster available online. Demby, Brabrand, and Reese are no longer on the roster. Not sure why Johnny Piedmonte is still listed. Is it possible he still has eligibility?

There are few redshirts who sat out last year: Ferguson (FR, P), Vaughn (FR, P), Gulakowski (FR, C), Centala, (FR, P), and Clenney (JR, P).

If Feeney, Bienlien, Klyman, and Gauthier break out as Sophs, this should be an excellent team. 6 starting bats returning, plus the 1B JUCO.
CLTWolf
Reese left for Liberty.

I'd have to go back and research but I wonder if Johnny got a 6th year since he missed so much time with the Tommy John and back issues his first two years.
JCooke93
I Can't Wait For The 2017 Fall Season To Start
JCooke93
Evan Edwards Had A 5 Hit Game Last Night
JCooke93
Demby is going to NCSU it is A D2 School in FL
JCooke93
Nolan DH Last Night For The Morehead Marlins And Went 1 For 4 at The Plate
JCooke93
And Brady Gulakowski Has Had A Very Good Summer This Year at 1B 2B 3B DH And Catching And He is Killing The Baseball Also
JCooke93
And Brett Kinneman Pitch A 1 2 3 Inning Last Night in The Cap Cod League and He K
JCooke93
And Zach Usselman Pitch a Great Game The Other Night
RunsWithWolves26
Glad to see you here jCooke. The baseball board will be much better with your contributions!
JCooke93
Thank you RunsWithWolves26
JCooke93
I really like are 2017 Fall Baseball Season Roster
Ripper
Any info regarding the eligibility status of Johnny Piedmonte? He's listed on Gopack's 2018 roster. I believe it is his 6th year since high school. Perhaps he already got the waiver due to his injuries.
CLTWolf
Ripper said:

Any info regarding the eligibility status of Johnny Piedmonte? He's listed on Gopack's 2018 roster. I believe it is his 6th year since high school. Perhaps he already got the waiver due to his injuries.

He got it. Probably an easy decision since he missed 2 straight years to injury. Big time boost to the rotation.
PackFansXL
That's fantastic news!!
Cole's commandments:

1) You get out what you put in
2) Treat everyone the right way and stand for something
3) Never accept mediocrity in anything
JCooke93
Johnny And Brown 1 and 2
JCooke93
Shane hit 2 Home Runs Last Night For The Wilson Tobs
Glasswolf
Ripper said:

Gopack now has the 2018 baseball roster available online. Demby, Brabrand, and Reese are no longer on the roster. Not sure why Johnny Piedmonte is still listed. Is it possible he still has eligibility?

There are few redshirts who sat out last year: Ferguson (FR, P), Vaughn (FR, P), Gulakowski (FR, C), Centala, (FR, P), and Clenney (JR, P).

If Feeney, Bienlien, Klyman, and Gauthier break out as Sophs, this should be an excellent team. 6 starting bats returning, plus the 1B JUCO.
Drew Johnson @d_johnson13 24h24 hours ago
More

Apparently Johnny Piedmonte was granted a 6th year by the NCAA. Big news for #Pack9 rotation.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JCooke93
Yes He was
JCooke93
Nolan pitch a great game again tonight but he got no run support so he got beat 2 to 0
JCooke93
It is going to be Shane Shepherd at 1B
Ripper
Is JUCO First Baseman Evan Edwards still coming? He was one of the top hitters in the Coastal Plain League this summer. Outperformed Shane Shepard. Hopefully the better player gets the most playing time., whoever that may be. I've never seen Edwards play.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.