2023 NC State Women's Cross Country 11/19 NCAA CHAMPS!

36,149 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by GuerrillaPack
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking back through last year's thread. Is there any reason Abby Loveys did not race? Rauber was injured I believe all year. We are so deep and despite not having nearly a full roster ready to go we were still able to pull off the 3-peat.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
GuerrillaPack
DrummerboyWolf said:

I was looking back through last year's thread. Is there any reason Abby Loveys did not race? Rauber was injured I believe all year. We are so deep and despite not having nearly a full roster ready to go we were still able to pull off the 3-peat.
I can't remember the details, but they decided to redshirt Abby Loveys for cross country this season. I believe the plan is for her to run cross country in the fall of 2024. She's someone who could potentially be All-American in cross country and finish round 30-40 at nationals. So she could be a key piece for next year. And, yes, Rauber was injured all this season.

Looking ahead to next year, we have a team that should be top 10 and in the mix to compete for the title again -- with Stephens, Hartman, Loveys, Gapes, Rauber, and true freshman Bethany Michalak (who could contribute immediately like Stephens did this year).
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
Nairo
D3 national champion is transferring in as well.

GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I can't remember the details, but they decided to redshirt Abby Loveys for cross country this season. I believe the plan is for her to run cross country in the fall of 2024. She's someone who could potentially be All-American in cross country and finish round 30-40 at nationals. So she could be a key piece for next year. And, yes, Rauber was injured all this season.

Looking ahead to next year, we have a team that should be top 10 and in the mix to compete for the title again -- with Stephens, Hartman, Loveys, Gapes, Rauber, and true freshman Bethany Michalak (who could contribute immediately like Stephens did this year).
Wolfer79
jadawson
Nairo said:

GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

So is that confirmed behind the scenes? I saw the team instagram account started following Fiona Smith at some point this season.
Nairo
Yes.

jadawson said:

Nairo said:

GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

So is that confirmed behind the scenes? I saw the team instagram account started following Fiona Smith at some point this season.
DrummerboyWolf
GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

And Angelina Napoleon should help out next year as well.
jadawson
Nairo said:

Yes.

jadawson said:

Nairo said:

GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Awesome news. Should be really competitive again next year.
GuerrillaPack
Coach Henes confirms that Katelyn Tuohy was sick (for the last few days). Says Amaris was really "down" after not finishing the last 2 races, and stepped up for the team this race with Kelsey out.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
Attention Wolfpack Nation

Come help us celebrate the THREE-PEAT tonight in Raleigh

The team bus will be arriving at the Belltower at 6:45 p.m. for a National Championship celebration

Be early, be loud, and GO PACK

toddl
Staff
toddl
Staff
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/CzzRdQyu7CQ

Quote:

We don't measure the character of an athlete on their best day, but on their toughest. Today, @katelyntuohy proved herself a true leader of the Wolfpack.

Despite coming down with a sickness, she still led @wolfpack_tf_xc with a fifth place finish as they captured their third consecutive national title by one point.
DrummerboyWolf
The whole team overcame a lot of obstacles, but they dug deep and finished as best they could. For Katelyn to be sick and still finish 5th is amazing. Amaris able to pull through after the injury and struggling mentally to fight hard today for her teammates. And Sam also coming back from injury and being able to pass as many as she could. Doing what they did without Kelsey and several having their own issues is just other worldly. The whole was definitely greater than the sum of the parts.

I am so proud of these young ladies for gutting it out, giving their all for their teammates, and ultimately doing just enough to win a 3rd straight National Championship. Their run today was just as good as what happened in 1983. They are truly "DESTINY'S DARLINGS"!!

I am just flabbergasted at what they accomplished today and all the obstacles they had to deal with. We saw today what Champions are made of.
T-Buck
Well stated Drummer Boy.
I came on here to post my thoughts, but you had already done it.
DrummerboyWolf
T-Buck said:

Well stated Drummer Boy.
I came on here to post my thoughts, but you had already done it.
They must have been good thoughts. LOL

Thank you
GuerrillaPack
As maybe already mentioned, NC State is now only the 3rd program to win at least 3 NCAA Championships in women's cross country in a row. Stanford had a 3-peat from 2005-2007, and Villanova won 6 straight from 1989-1994.

As I mentioned on the first page of the thread, with its 3rd NCAA women's team title, NC State's women's cross country program is now an undisputed "blue blood" of the sport, along with a handful of other programs -- tied for 4th in number of NCAA team national titles: Villanova (9), Stanford (5), BYU (5), Oregon (4), NC State (3), and Colorado (3).

NCAA Championship history:
https://www.ncaa.com/history/cross-country-women/d1

But if you count the Wolfpack's back-to-back national championships under the AIAW in 1979 and 1980 (which I believe you should, as they are legitimate national championships only under a different governing body), NC State now has 5 National Championships in women's cross country -- and is tied for 2nd in number of team national titles with Stanford and BYU.

Good write up on the championship here:
https://www.letsrun.com/news/2023/11/2023-ncaa-xc-breakdown-tuohys-heroics-valbys-historic-season-osu-dethrones-nau-more/

Wolfer79
In a race that went down to the wire, the NC State women's cross country team won its third consecutive Women's Cross Country National Championship Saturday morning at Virginia's Panorama Farms.

HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolfpack won its third-straight National Title in dramatic fashion as NC State edged second-place Northern Arizona by one point in the closest team finish in NCAA DI Women's Cross Country Championship history.

NC State is the first program to win three consecutive women's cross country national titles since Stanford won three straight from 2005-07.

Katelyn Tuohy paced the Pack by finishing fifth with a time of 19:23.0 that earned her All-American honors. Amaris Tyynismaa was next for NC State, coming in at 19:55.3 to finish in 25th place and establish herself as an All-American.

Sam Bush was right behind her teammate, finishing in 28th with a time of 20:00.7. Bush also achieved All-American status. Bush passed 14 competitors in the final stage of the race to secure vital points for the Pack.

This marks the fourth cross country All-American honor for Tuohy, the third for Bush and the second (first at NC State) for Tyynismaa.

Leah Stephens and Grace Hartman rounded out the NC State scorers with Stephens finishing in 43rd place with a time of 20:08.2 and Hartman in 63rd place at 20:24.4.

In the men's race, the team finished in 17th place with 435 points. This is the men's team's ninth time finishing in the top-20 Nationally since 2002.

Brett Gardner led the way for the Pack, finishing in 30:00.1 to take 51st. After leading the men's team across the finish line last weekend at Regionals, Hannes Burger placed 71st today with a time of 30:16.1.

Toby Gualter followed up with a time of 30:34.8 that earned him 102nd. Dan McGoey and Ian Harrison rounded out the top-five for the Wolfpack, placing 112th and 190th, respectively with times of 30:39.6 and 31:37.6.

RESULTS
WOMEN'S 6k - Team Finish - 1st (123 points)
MEN's 10k - Team Finish - 17th (435 points)

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/18/cross-country-three-peat-complete-pack-womens-xc-claims-third-straight-national-championship
GuerrillaPack
Wolfer79 said:

This marks the fourth cross country All-American honor for Tuohy, the third for Bush and the second (first at NC State) for Tyynismaa.

Error in the GoPack article. This is the third All-American honor for Tyynismaa in cross country. She finished 3rd in the March 2021 race in Stillwater, and 9th at the Novemeber 2022 race in Stillwater.
GuerrillaPack
Going into this before knowing Chmiel was out, I thought we had about a 30-40% chance of winning the title, because NAU had looked so good all year, and Tyynismaa was a huge question mark. After hearing Chmiel was out, I figured we had about a 2% chance of winning.

Saw this excellent recap posted on another forum from a Wolfpack fan who was at the race, hitting on how improbable this victory was:

Quote:

The post should be retitled "The Miracle in Charlottesville." There is no way in hell we should have won this - I did not think we were going to win, and I didn't know until I got on the shuttle bus to the course this morning there was anything wrong with Chmiel. When I saw that, I told myself it would be good if they just finished in the top 4 and got on the podium.

Annual cross country scoring primer, which is particularly important today:
- your score is the sum of the places of your first five runners (at NCAA's there are individual runners who don't count, so the scoring places other than Tuohy are lower than the actual places) with the lowest score winning. Sixth and seventh runners don't count but can displace other teams' scorers, though that did not come into play with NC State and NAU today.
- it doesn't take much knowledge to realize how much of a blow losing someone like Chmiel - who was 3rd, 6th, and 9th the last three years - is to your score. This is not a "Dusan is out, so DJ is going to have to take on more of a load" situation. Your best people are already doing all they can. You replace #2 with #6, not by having the others in the top 5 do more. And we were replacing basically the best #2 in NCAA women's cross country history.
- the tiebreaker is which team won more of the head-to-head battles between runners in the same position on the team, and NAU beat State there, so they had to win outright.

Beyond that - State's #2 today, Amaris Tyynismaa, transferred in January after a pair of top 10 NCAA finishes at Alabama. She had an injury that had limited her training in the summer and had never finished a cross country meet at NC State. She didn't race until late October and dropped out of both the ACC and regional meets. #3 Samantha Bush has been a big-time performer in the prior championships, but missed the spring and part of the summer with an injury and didn't look close to ready six weeks ago. The next three people after that were freshmen (two redshirts, but redshirts because they weren't close to making the lineup) and none of them Tuohy/Chmiel-like recruits. Ironically they did have a recruit that I thought could be an all-American right of the box, but she hasn't been close to making the lineup this fall and redshirted.

There were split times and scores at each kilometer, and State was pretty far back in fifth at 1k (pretty meaningless since the pack is so bunched), close in fourth at 2k, and slightly ahead of NAU in first at every remaining split. I was stunned when I saw it at 3k. It just seemed impossible given what they were dealing with, and I didn't even know until after the race that Tuohy was sick. She fell as far back as 11th at 4k when the main front group broke up, was in a 5th-9th block when she passed me with 400 meters to go, and beat all of those people by at least three seconds. Sam Bush as usual passed 14 people in the last kilometer. Freshman Leah Stephens was on absolute fumes, both in this race and the season (essentially trading places with Bush in both the last km and the last month), but held on just well enough - there were three women whose time was 20:08.2, and she was the first of them. Lose a couple thousandths of a second, and State loses gets second.

NAU should have scored 80-100 in this meet based on how they ran all season. They didn't today, and the State women did an absolutely incredible job of putting themselves in position to capitalize on something they could not have known was going to happen.

Someone who was there told me that talking to the team last night, Geiger said "There's no way one person can replace Kelsey, but working together, everyone can do a part to make it up." That turned out to be exactly what happened. I haven't felt like this at a cross country meet since 1991. I spent five minutes after the race walking around shaking, hoping that there was not one point swing that turned it into a tie we lost. (That happened last year to the Oklahoma State men on their home course.)

A final thing, that I was talking to other XC lifers about before the meet. It's awesome to have other NC State fans caring about cross country. But it also feels like people who had very little idea about what was happening before the last three years don't grasp how hard this is, and how small the margins are. Great runners - Tuohy-level great - bomb at NCAA's on a regular basis and finish in triple-digit places (I listed 8 examples off the top of my head to someone after the race, all Olympians or collegiate or American record holders). To have your awful day be FIFTH is incredible. State was legit the best team in the country in '21 and '22, and yet in both cases ran great at NCAA's and was one off day out of five from not winning. They were not the best team this season, and still won. To have that whole sequence come together three years in a row in unbelievable. It was not preordained even as good as we were. Savor it. We might not see it again from an NC State team in our lifetimes, and that doesn't even require a Wolfpack fan's scars to say.
toddl
Staff
My pessimism/skepticism coming into this race was based around the Nuttycombe and the Mountain regional results.

At Nuttycombe, NAU smoked us. They put 6 in front of our 4, and 7 in front of our 5. We were racing without Bush and Tyynismaa but with Chmiel. If we inserted Bush and Tyynismaa at peak form, we probably would have won Nuttycombe. But with no evidence that Bush and Tyynismaa were going to be at peak form, you had to tip the scales to NAU.

At Mountain Regional, NAU rested 3 of their top 5 and once again smoked 2nd place, #3 ranked BYU. If you can beat the pants off the #3 team in the country without 3 of your top 5, then what chance do the rest of us have? They were getting to legendary status in my head.

With both teams healthy, it was going to be a coin-flip at best. Then with Chmiel out, combined with those two earlier data points, the coin-flip turned into an extreme underdog.

But that's why we don't give out trophies based off paper. Still gotta perform on the day. BYU finished 14th at NCAAs. Just a bad day, or not as good as we thought? Maybe NAU beating them at regionals wasn't as impressive as I thought it was. And NAU certainly didn't run a flawless race, but that's life. Upsets happen. That's why we run the race. Feels good to be on the winning end.
Wolfer79
toddl said:

My pessimism/skepticism coming into this race was based around the Nuttycombe and the Mountain regional results.

At Nuttycombe, NAU smoked us. They put 6 in front of our 4, and 7 in front of our 5. We were racing without Bush and Tyynismaa but with Chmiel. If we inserted Bush and Tyynismaa at peak form, we probably would have won Nuttycombe. But with no evidence that Bush and Tyynismaa were going to be at peak form, you had to tip the scales to NAU.

At Mountain Regional, NAU rested 3 of their top 5 and once again smoked 2nd place, #3 ranked BYU. If you can beat the pants off the #3 team in the country without 3 of your top 5, then what chance do the rest of us have? They were getting to legendary status in my head.

With both teams healthy, it was going to be a coin-flip at best. Then with Chmiel out, combined with those two earlier data points, the coin-flip turned into an extreme underdog.

But that's why we don't give out trophies based off paper. Still gotta perform on the day. BYU finished 14th at NCAAs. Just a bad day, or not as good as we thought? Maybe NAU beating them at regionals wasn't as impressive as I thought it was. And NAU certainly didn't run a flawless race, but that's life. Upsets happen. That's why we run the race. Feels good to be on the winning end.
thank you

I appreciate the information you have shared this and previous seasons
GuerrillaPack
Adding the FloTrack post-race interview with Tyynismaa since the Let's Run video cut off the last minute of the interview. One of the interesting things she says in this interview is that after DNF'ing at ACCs and Regionals, she "didn't even know if she would run at Nationals". But then when they knew Kelsey would be out, she had a new resolve to step up and "come through for the team".

Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Thanks Guerrilla, for the insight !
Redwolf
Yup for sure toddl, to follow wolfer79 comment.
Thanks for all the stat breakdowns you do for well many sports. Much appreciated brother!
GuerrillaPack
Post-race interview (from yesterday) with D3 champion Fiona Smith, who Nairo said is confirmed to be transferring NC State. She just set the record for a women's D3 6k, becoming the first to go under 20 minutes:

Redwolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Adding the FloTrack post-race interview with Tyynismaa since the Let's Run video cut off the last minute of the interview. One of the interesting things she says in this interview is that after DNF'ing at ACCs and Regionals, she "didn't even know if she would run at Nationals". But then when they knew Kelsey would be out, she had a new resolve to step up and "come through for the team".

Awesome bunch of athletes , you can tell how much they are about each other in their interviews .
jadawson
Still buzzing from yesterday. Wall of text incoming but i've been doing some "end of an era" reflecting on this team. Even though i definitely expect the team to remain competitive in future years, i've taking a moment and have been thinking about how special the class of 2019 has been and how it has changed the trajectory of this program. If anyone hasn't figured it out by now i'm a big XC/Track fan. Love basketball and football as well, but running holds a special place for me and i really enjoy following the sport at HS, College and Pro level. so my alma mater NC State being good is something i really take pride in.

To go back in time, Laurie Henes was made head coach of women's XC in 2016. The team was solid, but not the behemoth we know today at that point, and hadn't really been that top tier team since the run in the 1980's. Prior to Coach Henes getting the reins, the Women had finished 23rd in 2011 and then missed nationals in 2012 and 2013 before finishing 16th in 2014 and a really strong 5th in 2015. A couple of recruiting victories like the Frazier sisters and some strong development of runners like Erika Kemp, Rachel Koon and Megan Moye had the team the best it had been in well over a decade.

In 2016, now under Coach Henes, the team built upon that prior season and finished 4th, back on the podium for the first time since 2001 (and 1988 was the last time before that). Coach Henes had developed multiple runners into all-americans in Erika Kemp and Rachel Koon, the first time the team had multiple all americans in one year since 2006. They were able to maintain that strong level of performance, but not necessarily build upon it as they finished 8th and 13th.

Then the class of 2019 comes in and things immediately change. The headliner of the class was of course Kelsey Chmiel. High School superstar. Would have won countless state and national titles if it wasn't for Katelyn Tuohy. One of the most coveted recruits in the country and could have gone anywhere but she knew she wanted to be a Veterinarian and there probably isn't a better combo of Vet Science and Running in the country than NC State. The other jewel of the class turned out to be Samantha Bush, who was definitely a solid recruit, but was mostly an afterthought in a class that included Chmiel.

The results were immediate. NC State shot right back up from 13th to finish 5th in XC in 2019, followed by 2nd in 2020 and 1st 3 times in a row from 2021-2023. All Chmiel and Bush have done is combine for 7 all-american finishes in those years, and the cool part about that is that both of them were an all-american every single time the lined up at XC nationals. Bush was not in the squad in 2019 or 2020 and Chmiel obviously didn't race in 2023. 7 for 7 is unreal. This isn't even mentioning their track credentials where both are again multiple time all-americans and have their names all over our all-time lists.

The imprint they leave is also more than the team finishes for the years they have been here. Would Katelyn Tuohy have come to NC State if Kelsey Chmiel wasn't here? It's certainly possible, but she's mentioned that she liked the fact that someone she was friends with was already on the team. Would these awesome transfers we've gotten over the past 4 years have wanted to come to NC State if Chmiel and Bush hadn't helped start the transformation of what people outside the program thought of NC State? Hannah Steelman was an all-american in XC already at another school and chose to transfer to NC state. Allie Hays was a track all-american at another school and chose to transfer to NC State. Same with Amaris Tyynismaa. Do all these great runners come in if we are still a program with inconsistent finishing sometimes back in the mid-teens? Hard to say. We currently have a crazy pipeline recruiting women's distance runners from NY and that started in earnest with Chmiel. Katelyn Tuohy, Claire Walters, Jenna Schulz, Brooke Rauber, Angelina Napoleon, Kate Putman all being national-level recruits from that state and choosing NC State since 2020.

The program is going to keep going and continue being great due to Coach Henes and the team culture here. I'm certainly not writing us off for competing again next year depending on how the portal shakes out. And this post certainly isn't trying to downplay the effect of others towards this current state of the program, like Tuohy, Elly Henes and Coach Henes herself. But knowing it's likely the last time in an NC state XC singlet for many of the top runners on this team right now makes me want to take a step back and reflect on how awesome the past 5 years have been for NC state XC and how it has changed how i view the future possibilities drastically..
GuerrillaPack
Excellent info jadawson. Just one thing....you said Henes became the the head coach of women's cross country in 2016. The GoPack bio of Coach Henes says she became the head coach of women's cross country in 2006. Was yours a typo?
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

Excellent info jadawson. Just one thing....you said Henes became the the head coach of women's cross country in 2016. The GoPack bio of Coach Henes says she became the head coach of women's cross country in 2006. Was yours a typo?

Good catch. The typo was that i meant to say Head of women's XC & Track. Just was typing too much/too fast. I was wrong on that too though, as i guess that was in 2019. Could have sworn it was longer ago than that. Maybe i conflated the two years in my head idk.
toddl
Staff
Laurie took over primary women's XC in 2006. She actually started off a little rocky as the women's team went backwards for a few years and didn't qualify for nationals a few times.
2001 - 2
2002 - 13
2003 - 6
2004 - 12
2005 - 14
2006 - 19 - Henes takes over
2007 - 29
2008 - DNQ
2009 - DNQ
2010 - 24
2011 - 23
2012 - DNQ
2013 - DNQ
2014 - 16
2015 - 5
2016 - 4
2017 - 8
2018 - 13
2019 - 5
2020 - 2
2021 - 1
2022 - 1
2023 - 1

The first 8 years were definitely below the standards for the program. WXC was generally the most successful program in NCSU history, with 2 national titles in 1979 and 1980 and 12 other top-10 finishes. Then a stretch with 4 DNQs in 6 years. But then she turned it around and went on one of the best runs we've ever seen. 8 out of 9 years in the top 10. 5 years in a row of top-5 finishes. And of course the 3-peat. They might not be the favorites to win next year, but I don't see them dropping very far any time soon. They should still be podium or top-5 for the foreseeable future.
GuerrillaPack
I watched an interview with Henes from over a year ago where she said something to the effect that she wasn't able to travel as much when her daughters were younger and at home, and that it hurt recruiting. So perhaps that was a significant factor to account for the down period from 2007-2013 or so.
DrummerboyWolf
I hope the Powers That Be like Chancellor Woodson and AD Corrigan are planning on honoring these young ladies Saturday night at the football game. If you have connections to those two and anybody else who can get this done, then it needs to happen. I know most of the girls might be going home to visit family, but hopefully they can come back a little early on Saturday and get the recognition they so deservedly have earned.

I won't be going to the game on Saturday, but if they honor these ladies, please give them a standing ovation for what they have accomplished. We may never see anything like this again in any sport.

GO PACK!!
Wolfer79
jadawson said:

Still buzzing from yesterday. Wall of text incoming but i've been doing some "end of an era" reflecting on this team. Even though i definitely expect the team to remain competitive in future years, i've taking a moment and have been thinking about how special the class of 2019 has been and how it has changed the trajectory of this program. If anyone hasn't figured it out by now i'm a big XC/Track fan. Love basketball and football as well, but running holds a special place for me and i really enjoy following the sport at HS, College and Pro level. so my alma mater NC State being good is something i really take pride in.

To go back in time, Laurie Henes was made head coach of women's XC in 2016. The team was solid, but not the behemoth we know today at that point, and hadn't really been that top tier team since the run in the 1980's. Prior to Coach Henes getting the reins, the Women had finished 23rd in 2011 and then missed nationals in 2012 and 2013 before finishing 16th in 2014 and a really strong 5th in 2015. A couple of recruiting victories like the Frazier sisters and some strong development of runners like Erika Kemp, Rachel Koon and Megan Moye had the team the best it had been in well over a decade.

In 2016, now under Coach Henes, the team built upon that prior season and finished 4th, back on the podium for the first time since 2001 (and 1988 was the last time before that). Coach Henes had developed multiple runners into all-americans in Erika Kemp and Rachel Koon, the first time the team had multiple all americans in one year since 2006. They were able to maintain that strong level of performance, but not necessarily build upon it as they finished 8th and 13th.

Then the class of 2019 comes in and things immediately change. The headliner of the class was of course Kelsey Chmiel. High School superstar. Would have won countless state and national titles if it wasn't for Katelyn Tuohy. One of the most coveted recruits in the country and could have gone anywhere but she knew she wanted to be a Veterinarian and there probably isn't a better combo of Vet Science and Running in the country than NC State. The other jewel of the class turned out to be Samantha Bush, who was definitely a solid recruit, but was mostly an afterthought in a class that included Chmiel.

The results were immediate. NC State shot right back up from 13th to finish 5th in XC in 2019, followed by 2nd in 2020 and 1st 3 times in a row from 2021-2023. All Chmiel and Bush have done is combine for 7 all-american finishes in those years, and the cool part about that is that both of them were an all-american every single time the lined up at XC nationals. Bush was not in the squad in 2019 or 2020 and Chmiel obviously didn't race in 2023. 7 for 7 is unreal. This isn't even mentioning their track credentials where both are again multiple time all-americans and have their names all over our all-time lists.

The imprint they leave is also more than the team finishes for the years they have been here. Would Katelyn Tuohy have come to NC State if Kelsey Chmiel wasn't here? It's certainly possible, but she's mentioned that she liked the fact that someone she was friends with was already on the team. Would these awesome transfers we've gotten over the past 4 years have wanted to come to NC State if Chmiel and Bush hadn't helped start the transformation of what people outside the program thought of NC State? Hannah Steelman was an all-american in XC already at another school and chose to transfer to NC state. Allie Hays was a track all-american at another school and chose to transfer to NC State. Same with Amaris Tyynismaa. Do all these great runners come in if we are still a program with inconsistent finishing sometimes back in the mid-teens? Hard to say. We currently have a crazy pipeline recruiting women's distance runners from NY and that started in earnest with Chmiel. Katelyn Tuohy, Claire Walters, Jenna Schulz, Brooke Rauber, Angelina Napoleon, Kate Putman all being national-level recruits from that state and choosing NC State since 2020.

The program is going to keep going and continue being great due to Coach Henes and the team culture here. I'm certainly not writing us off for competing again next year depending on how the portal shakes out. And this post certainly isn't trying to downplay the effect of others towards this current state of the program, like Tuohy, Elly Henes and Coach Henes herself. But knowing it's likely the last time in an NC state XC singlet for many of the top runners on this team right now makes me want to take a step back and reflect on how awesome the past 5 years have been for NC state XC and how it has changed how i view the future possibilities drastically..

This should be today's IPS IN 5!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.