2021-22 NC State wrestling

42,065 Views | 522 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SportManagementEngineer
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
174 | One last BONUS victory!

In his final match for @PackWrestle, Hayden Hidlay scores a 12-4 win over Iowa's Kemerer and closes out his career with major decision and 3rd place!

#PackMentality // #WinningCulture https://t.co/18sirXbqOe
Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
Hidlay with a dominating final performance. Happy to see him go out with a W.

He's State's only wrestler this week to outperform his seed.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
184 | Wolfpack WIN!

Closing out his second NCAAs, Trent Hidlay scores a 3-2 win over Ohio State's Romero and brings home a 5th place NCAA finish!

#PackMentality // #WinningCulture https://t.co/Vi6lekYAoz
SportManagementEngineer
3-0 in the medal round but we'll finish 9th place at best.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
PossumJenkins
Alright...so what's our lineup next year?
Bluegrace99
Some new faces for sure. Milano and Kovacs should break into the line up.
SportManagementEngineer
PossumJenkins said:

I'll have a full breakdown for my predictions later, but quick look and I've got:

125: #5 R-So. Jakob Camacho (4-0), maybe Stevo Poulin pushes him
133: #17 R-Fr. Kai Orine (6-0) -OR- R-So. Jarrett Trombley (6-2)
141: #18 Fr. Ryan Jack (8-1)
149: Ahrberg? Fields? Lewis? No idea who wins this weight.
157: #28 Fr. Ed Scott
165: Fr. Donald Cates or Kovacs
174: R-So. Alex Faison
184: #3 Trent Hidlay
197: #15 Fr. Isaac Trumble
285: Jr. Tyrie Houghton
Bluegrace99
Was wondering if Kovacs had the frame to drop to 149? Some retooling of the line up. Should be exciting to see the new blood.
SportManagementEngineer
Bluegrace99 said:

Was wondering if Kovacs had the frame to drop to 149? Some retooling of the line up. Should be exciting to see the new blood.
Forgot that Trombley is dropping to 125. Will be interesting to see how he and Camacho match up.

Also, incoming freshman Jackson Arrington (Ranked #20 nationally and #2 at 145 pounds by FloWrestling) could factor at 149. And Matty Singleton (Ranked #14 nationally and #2 at 170 pounds by FloWrestling) could get a shot at 174.

The top recruit in the class, Dylan Fishback (Ranked #5 nationally and #1 at 195 pounds by FloWrestling) will probably redshirt with Trent Hidlay and Isaac Trumble locked into 184/197.
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Man, that should be required watching for every Pack athlete. Job well done, Mr Hidlay.

ETA: Both of the above videos!! I hope he continues on as a part of our program since he is giving up competitive wrestling.
TheCapper
Packchem91 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Man, that should be required watching for every Pack athlete. Job well done, Mr Hidlay.

ETA: Both of the above videos!! I hope he continues on as a part of our program since he is giving up competitive wrestling.

Incredible.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Agreed. Same with Tariq's. Haven't been this sad to lose 2 players since Rivers and Jerricho graduated. Fortunately it sounds like both may be on staff next year.
Wolfer79
On the final day of the 2022 NCAA Championships, all three NC State wrestlers that reached the placement bouts got their hands raised in their final bouts.

Super Seniors Tariq Wilson (149 pounds) and Hayden Hidlay (174) both scored bonus points in their final match in the Red & White singlet. Trent Hidlay also secured a win in his last bout.

Hayden Hidlay placed third in his final season, now a five-time All-American. Trent placed fifth, and was an All-American for the third straight year. Wilson capped his career as a four-time All-American placing seventh.

Saturday Afternoon Results
PLACEMENT BOUTS
149 7th Place Bout | #2 seed Tariq Wilson major dec. #5 seed Kyle Parco (Arizona State) 13-2
174 3rd Place Bout | #4 seed Hayden Hidlay major dec. #5 seed Michael Kemerer (Iowa) 12-4
184 5th Place Bout | #3 seed Trent Hidlay dec. #7 seed Kaleb Romero (Ohio State) 3-2

Wilson finished his Wolfpack career with a 7th place finish. He opened the bout with a quick takedown and scored a two-point near fall followed by a four-point near fall to take an 8-0 lead after the first period. Takedowns in the second and third, plus 3:15 of ride time, led to a 13-2 major decision.

Hayden Hidlay also capped his Wolfpack career with a bonus point win. Hidlay downed Iowa's Kemerer in the third place bout for a 12-4 major decision. After giving up the first takedown, Hidlay scored his own takedown and got a two-point near fall in the first. A takedown in the second and two more in the third, led to the bonus point win.

Trent Hidlay followed brother Hayden and capped off his second NCAAs with a fifth place finish by downing #7 seed Romero of Ohio State with the bout's lone takedown in the first period.

CONSOLATION SEMIFINALS
174 Cons. SFs | #4 seed Hayden Hidlay vs. #6 seed Dustin Plott (Oklahoma St.)
184 Cons. SFs | #3 seed Trent Hidlay vs. #4 seed Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)

Hayden Hidlay started the Pack's day with an 8-2 decision over Plott. Hidlay scored a takedown in all three periods and added in 1:45 of ride time to advance to the third place bout.

Trent Hidlay fell in his consolation semifinal, 7-5 in extra time. After the bout went into sudden victory tied 5-5, Keckeisen got a reversal in the ride outs for the decisive points.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/3/19/wrestling-hayden-hidlay-and-tariq-wilson-cap-their-packwrestle-careers.aspx
engineercoach
I've heard some speculation that Trumble will attempt to move up to heavyweight next year. Would be interesting and I believe better than the existing options at heavyweight.
DrummerboyWolf
Congrats to Coach Pop, the staff, and all the wrestlers for their hard work and dedication. H. Hidlay and Wilson will definitely be missed. They didn't reach the ultimate goal, but they performed tremendously through out their careers. Thanks for running with the Pack!

I did not see the final team results, but still another good showing by the team!

GO PACK!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
82TxPackFan
SportManagementEngineer said:

PossumJenkins said:

I'll have a full breakdown for my predictions later, but quick look and I've got:

Pretty sure that Poulin has left the program.
Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
82TxPackFan said:

SportManagementEngineer said:

PossumJenkins said:

Pretty sure that Poulin has left the program.

Wow. Hadn't seen that, happened just a few weeks ago according to Twitter. That sucks.
Bluegrace99
Dang. Hadn't heard that about Poulin. Saw him wrestle at the Wolfpack open at the beginning of the season and sustained an injury that day it appeared.
SportManagementEngineer
Bluegrace99 said:

Dang. Hadn't heard that about Poulin. Saw him wrestle at the Wolfpack open at the beginning of the season and sustained an injury that day it appeared.

According to Twitter, State wanted him to either bulk up to 133 or wait behind Camacho. With Camacho seemingly hitting his ceiling already, stinks to lose the next best option.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

Always great to have the support of @PackAthletics alums. @AJCole90 and @KyliePickrell showed up for some US Open action, watching @mike_macch punch his ticket to the finals tomorrow. #PackPros

https://twitter.com/PackWrestle/status/1520248545730699264?t=8gq2QdeeFSZIolMvGtWR6w&s=19
SportManagementEngineer
This past season, the Pack had four true freshmen redshirt and compete exclusively in open tournaments. Now those four will be among the current Pack and incoming freshmen competing to replace three starters (149, 165 and 174 pounds) that exhausted their eligibility.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/16/wrestling-packwrestle-redshirt-report.aspx?fbclid=IwAR18_nAFtXnwCd4MUWmyclJzLbDqpJP3fLv-B5InF3NUk2Y1g0stCDCBn9o

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.