The Masters

14,564 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Wolfer79
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Cool. LIV Phil made a late charge that catapulted him up the leaderboard… with absolutely no chance to win.

Congrats… now go crawl back under that sand dune you've been hiding under for two years.

Yeah I had no interest in Phil winning yesterday
Outside a guy getting into legal trouble, I can't think of a guy who fumbled "legend" status any quicker than he has

*and of course, he likely should have had legal troubles for his insider trading scheme
Yeah he was always one of my favs but with the insider trading mess and going to LIV he's just not the same Phil to me anymore.

I will say he and Spieth put on a clinic yesterday, was a lot of fun to watch.

No surprise on Spieth, he's great at Augusta.
But even seeing Phil interviewed earlier this week he just looked different. None of that usual spark you see in him. But dude didn't win so maybe/o being a tough competitor and Augusta flipped a switch for him to
Phil lost some serious weight since I last saw him.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
caryking
910wolf said:

Really fun thought exercise here. It's so hard to win majors in this era because there are so many capable players. Don't see anyone on the list getting past 5.
I still think Spieth has a run at majors left in him…

Joe Biden
910wolf
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

Really fun thought exercise here. It's so hard to win majors in this era because there are so many capable players. Don't see anyone on the list getting past 5.

I agree on the depth of talented players. But I could see Rahm getting the most
And if Rory ever gets straight, he would (but we've been saying that a long time now)
I say either Rahm or Scheffler, both are on another level at the moment. I know Scheffler didn't have his best tournament but that dude seems to always be in the top 10-15 of every tournament, same with Rahm.

That's the easy thing to say right now, but you never know how long these runs will last.

At the end of 2014 you would have thought Rory would have way more than 4 by now.

At the end of 2017 you would have thought Spieth would have more than 3 by now.

At the end of 2019 you would have thought Koepka would have more than 4 by now.

There's just so many dudes that can win.
910wolf
caryking said:

910wolf said:

I still think Spieth has a run at majors left in him…

I agree. Don't think he completes the Grand Slam, but with how often he puts himself in contention at The Masters and The Open he's bound to win those again.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Cool. LIV Phil made a late charge that catapulted him up the leaderboard… with absolutely no chance to win.

Congrats… now go crawl back under that sand dune you've been hiding under for two years.

Outside a guy getting into legal trouble, I can't think of a guy who fumbled "legend" status any quicker than he has

*and of course, he likely should have had legal troubles for his insider trading scheme
Yeah he was always one of my favs but with the insider trading mess and going to LIV he's just not the same Phil to me anymore.

But even seeing Phil interviewed earlier this week he just looked different. None of that usual spark you see in him. But dude didn't win so maybe/o being a tough competitor and Augusta flipped a switch for him to

He had, but i wasn't referring to his weight. I just thought he looked / acted blah to the questions where he usually lights up in to view interviews
This was WED evening. I just assumed it was a mix of poor recent play, and what has to be a stress of what the last 18 mos has been (relative stress, as it's difficult to feel sorry for a $200mm guy)
Packchem91
910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

And if Rory ever gets straight, he would (but we've been saying that a long time now)
I say either Rahm or Scheffler, both are on another level at the moment. I know Scheffler didn't have his best tournament but that dude seems to always be in the top 10-15 of every tournament, same with Rahm.

That's the easy thing to say right now, but you never know how long these runs will last.

At the end of 2014 you would have thought Rory would have way more than 4 by now.

Great point. Golf success at highest level is fleeting for everyone not named Tiger / Jack
Throw in Jason Day and JT - for both, not that long ago, they looked like multiple major win guys.
It's nice to see Day playing well, but JT has been average the last couple of years
910wolf
Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

Great point. Golf success at highest level is fleeting for everyone not named Tiger / Jack
Throw in Jason Day and JT - for both, not that long ago, they looked like multiple major win guys.
It's nice to see Day playing well, but JT has been average the last couple of years

I get your overall point, but JT literally won the PGA Championship last year LOL
packgrad
910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

I get your overall point, but JT literally won the PGA Championship last year LOL

The tournament where the leader had a THREE stroke lead in a major after 54 holes, and a one stroke lead going into 18, then double bogeyed?

And we think Brooks loss this weekend is close to an all timer?

No.
Packchem91
910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

Dayum. You know, that was a major I missed because was out of town, and frankly completely forgot about it. But you are right.

I was just remembering his win in Charlotte
910wolf
packgrad said:

910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

The tournament where the leader had a THREE stroke lead in a major after 54 holes, and a one stroke lead going into 18, then double bogeyed?

No.

Damn man, coming out of nowhere. I'm sorry you took my Brooks comment so personally.

Yeah Mito choked that one away last year. Really reminded me of Phil at Winged Foot.

I really like Brooks and think golf is way more interesting when he's in the mix. Bummer we only get to see him 4 times a year.
packgrad
910wolf said:

packgrad said:

910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

No.

Damn man, coming out of nowhere. I'm sorry you took my Brooks comment so personally.

Yeah Mito choked that one away last year. Really reminded me of Phil at Winged Foot.

I really like Brooks and think golf is way more interesting when he's in the mix. Bummer we only get to see him 4 times a year.

Apology accepted.

Lol.

But yeah. Comparing Brooks to Norman is ridiculous. **** happens every year.
910wolf
packgrad said:

910wolf said:

packgrad said:

910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

No.

Apology accepted.

Lol.

But yeah. Comparing Brooks to Norman is ridiculous. **** happens every year.

As I said, the comparison came from the tweet referenced in this thread that showed something specific happened that has only ever happened to Norman before Brooks did it.

Yes, guys blow leads all the time. **** happens every year.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

And JT just won a major last year… but overall, I agree.

I think Speith could get to 5, but honestly these days he's either on - or completely off…

Scheffler is tempting, but majors are just so hard to win, and are spaced out just enough where it is hard to take advantage of getting on a roll…

So, I'd have to either go Rahm or Morikawa here… I think Rahm can play anywhere, and Collin is just so good on the traditional US Open / PGA type layouts… and they are probably the two youngest with two under their belts already.

Majors being hard to win? Even Phil - as great a career as he has had - only has 6… and a couple that were totally unexpected and out of nowhere in the big picture (last 2).
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

He had, but i wasn't referring to his weight. I just thought he looked / acted blah to the questions where he usually lights up in to view interviews
This was WED evening. I just assumed it was a mix of poor recent play, and what has to be a stress of what the last 18 mos has been (relative stress, as it's difficult to feel sorry for a $200mm guy)
He acts that way now because of those CBD products that he takes (chews) on a regular basis… that's why the only thing he can do now is the thumbs up deal. His personality is a complete 180* from before.
caryking
Cam Young is a really good golfer. I'm not sure he's Major good; however, his calm demeanor makes me think it's a possibility.

I remember when he played at the Stitch Intercollegiate (MacGregor Downs in Cary). He was a very humble and extremely likable. He didn't win that tournament and actually lost in a playoff to an NC State golfer (can't remember his name).

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

Cam Young is a really good golfer. I'm not sure he's Major good; however, his calm demeanor makes me think it's a possibility.

I remember when he played at the Stitch Intercollegiate (MacGregor Downs in Cary). He was a very humble and extremely likable. He didn't win that tournament and actually lost in a playoff to an NC State golfer (can't remember his name).
Speaking of STITCH… I was looking for you guys last week, but never saw anything… how's everything going?
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Speaking of STITCH… I was looking for you guys last week, but never saw anything… how's everything going?
Stitch is doing really good. The only thing we had was Vijay Singh carrying the bag. Outside of that, we didn't have much else out there. We don't do a lot of marketing, on the tour, because it is really expensive and we are accomplishing our growth and profit objectives without it…

It's kind of like Johnny-O… they picked a good one and got a lot of TV coverage with Sam Bennett. If you didn't know, Johnny-O does all their design work, right here in Raleigh.

So, you have Stitch, Peter Millar, and Johnny-O right here in the triangle.

Joe Biden
packgrad
caryking said:

Did Cam whiff one in the bunker this week? They showed him swing from the bunker and you could see no splash of sand nor could you see ball movement. The announcer said something like "well that's embarrassing" and pretty much moved on. There was no replay or another angle to see what happened. Think that was when I was watching on the app.
Packchem91
caryking said:

I think Cam Young is on the come and can absolutely be a major winner. But as Stormy said - it's so difficult to win these things. I think the other Can has a chance to win several as well - Cam Smith
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

I think Cam Young is on the come and can absolutely be a major winner. But as Stormy said - it's so difficult to win these things. I think the other Can has a chance to win several as well - Cam Smith
What has the Majors said about LIV players? The PGA wouldn't bring them in because they no longer play on the PGA tour, right?

Joe Biden
caryking
packgrad said:

caryking said:

Did Cam whiff one in the bunker this week? They showed him swing from the bunker and you could see no splash of sand nor could you see ball movement. The announcer said something like "well that's embarrassing" and pretty much moved on. There was no replay or another angle to see what happened. Think that was when I was watching on the app.
I'm not sure…. I was on a cruise last week and got home Saturday evening. I didn't get a great chance to watch Thursday, Friday, or Saturday…

Joe Biden
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

And JT just won a major last year… but overall, I agree.

I think Speith could get to 5, but honestly these days he's either on - or completely off…

Scheffler is tempting, but majors are just so hard to win, and are spaced out just enough where it is hard to take advantage of getting on a roll…

So, I'd have to either go Rahm or Morikawa here… I think Rahm can play anywhere, and Collin is just so good on the traditional US Open / PGA type layouts… and they are probably the two youngest with two under their belts already.

Majors being hard to win? Even Phil - as great a career as he has had - only has 6… and a couple that were totally unexpected and out of nowhere in the big picture (last 2).

Majors winners the last 5 years plus 2023
Reed, Koepka, Koepka, Molinari
Woods, Koepka, Woodland, Lowry
DJ, Morikawa, Dechambeau
Matsuyama, Mickelson, Rahm, Morikawa
Scheffler, JT, Fitzpatrick, Smith

Several young guns, two legends who were surprises, a couple of outliers (Lowry, Molinari). A guy who took the tour by storm but has since fallen apart in Dechambeau.
A guy who almost never wins, until there is a major in Koepka

And while I still think Rahm and Scheffler are odds on to win another this year, you even have some resurgent old heads like Day and Rose who did well enough at Augusta to make you think they could contend this year.
Lots and lots of good players these days

And all of this debate still makes Tigers winning %, his making cut streaks and his majors wins amongst the most impressive sporting accomplishments of our life time. Dude was clearly hurt and still went out there and beat a lot of the guys on this list this past week after not playing for months

Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

What has the Majors said about LIV players? The PGA wouldn't bring them in because they no longer play on the PGA tour, right?

I think it is if they qualify. So both Opens and the Masters had means to qualify from past majors winners, etc.
I'm not sure what the PGA has said, but would think it would be most restrictive.
Also all the LIV guys will be falling down the world rankings so that means of qualification won't help them
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

I think it is if they qualify. So both Opens and the Masters had means to qualify from past majors winners, etc.
I'm not sure what the PGA has said, but would think it would be most restrictive.
Also all the LIV guys will be falling down the world rankings so that means of qualification won't help them
Sounds like the world rankings might need a change…

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Sounds like the world rankings might need a change…
LIV guys that did well this week made exponential moves up the world rankings… I wouldn't expect the PGA to allow them to play though.

They can play in whatever the LIV sponsored major is…
910wolf
Not Masters related, but Zalatoris announcing he had season ending surgery opens up another Ryder Cup spot that he more than likely had locked up.
wilmwolf
I know y'all hate him, but I was very impressed with Mickelson at 52 years old, already the oldest major champ in history, making the run he did. If not for a few hole stretch towards the end of his third round, he might be wearing another green jacket. I think I saw a tweet that said to put it in perspective, it would be like Rahm finishing second in the 2047 Masters.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

I know y'all hate him, but I was very impressed with Mickelson at 52 years old, already the oldest major champ in history, making the run he did. If not for a few hole stretch towards the end of his third round, he might be wearing another green jacket. I think I saw a tweet that said to put it in perspective, it would be like Rahm finishing second in the 2047 Masters.

No doubt it was impressive. I'm not sure though if it was more impressive that he did it at this age or that it was so out of the blue.
caryking
wilmwolf80 said:

Actually, I think it was a great moment for Golf. In fact, the post commentary, on the Golf Channel, was very favorable to Phil.

Joe Biden
packgrad
caryking said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Actually, I think it was a great moment for Golf. In fact, the post commentary, on the Golf Channel, was very favorable to Phil.
I hope it inspires some sort of compromise. The game is better with those big names, DJ Brooks Phil Cam etc, playing in majors. I don't follow it as much as some here, but quite frankly I would have taken those huge paydays if I was in their shoes as well. I think DJ explained his position on it pretty well in the Netflix doc.
jkpackfan
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Stitch is doing really good. The only thing we had was Vijay Singh carrying the bag. Outside of that, we didn't have much else out there. We don't do a lot of marketing, on the tour, because it is really expensive and we are accomplishing our growth and profit objectives without it…

It's kind of like Johnny-O… they picked a good one and got a lot of TV coverage with Sam Bennett. If you didn't know, Johnny-O does all their design work, right here in Raleigh.

I have several shirts from Stitch and really like them…Expensive but so is everything these days.

Had no idea you were with Stitch, that's awesome.
SportManagementEngineer
jkpackfan said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

I have several shirts from Stitch and really like them…Expensive but so is everything these days.

Yes! Love the Stitch shirts. Been eyeing a new bag from them as well that I need to pull the trigger on at some point.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
jkpackfan
SportManagementEngineer said:

jkpackfan said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Yes! Love the Stitch shirts. Been eyeing a new bag from them as well that I need to pull the trigger on at some point.
Same here but not sure I can make myself spend that much on a bag lol.
caryking
jkpackfan said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

My title is VP Operations. So, my main responsibility is warehouse and distribution as well as technology. That said, my real responsibility is COO. I work with every department, except design, on strategy, structure, and execution.

Stitch is a very good brand (yes, we are expensive) that is growing very differently than the normal business. Most businesses take a bunch P.E. money and aren't profitable. I could blow you away with the number of businesses that are not profitable. We work on a nice growth percentage as well turning out double digit EBITDA. Not normal in todays businesses.

Now, keep on buying the Stitch stuff!!!

Joe Biden
PackFansXL
Good for you, cary!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.