The Masters

14,568 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
barnburner said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Tiger does look like he is limping more than he had been.

I hope he is not doing more damage to himself
If that were the case, I doubt he would be playing. He's going to have to deal with the pain for a long time and maybe forever when he plays. The screws and plates he has in there decreases his mobility, but probably keeps everything in place. Your question may have been asked in his press conference earlier but I don't remember.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
Golf
Men's
The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
Final Round
Featured Groups Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 10:15 a.m.
Holes 4, 5 and 6 Masters Live/ESPN+, 10:30 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 11:45 a.m.
Holes 15 & 16 Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 12:30 p.m.
Main Feed CBS, 2 p.m.
Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 9 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.
The Masters: Tradition of Innovation CBS, 12:30 p.m.
Jim Nantz Remembers: Tiger Woods-A Win for the Ages CBS, 1 p.m.
Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 7 p.m.
Final Round Replay CBS Sports Network, 8 p.m.
Bell Tower Grey
Having watched most of the tournament on the Masters livestream, I have to say that I have grown to immensely dislike Billy Horschel. He has exhibited a bad attitude with several of his comments being picked up via the livestream audio. What did it for me was his loud and clear "G D" when one of his shots yesterday wound up in Rae's Creek. My 7 year old grandson was watching with me and said "that was an ugly word wasn't it, pop pop?" I told him that it was, and we were to never use it. I aske him how he knew that and he said he heard someone at his karate class say it all the time.

Today Horschel hasn't been much better. I don't care how bad you play, there's no need for that.

I've hit bad shots and cussed about it before, but not to that extreme. Over the years, I"ve tried to temper my expectations of my play, and watch what I say when I screw up...one never knows who is listening.

I hope the guy never wins another tournament and wouldn't mind seeing him miss the cut every time he plays.

Rant over.
Bell Tower Grey
Tiger's limp is more pronounced today. Guy is giving his best but I have to think these 4 days has taken a toll on him. Not sure we'll see him play again for a while. Appreciate his effort though.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tiger's limp is more pronounced today. Guy is giving his best but I have to think these 4 days has taken a toll on him. Not sure we'll see him play again for a while. Appreciate his effort though.

I wonder if he might take on another major or two. Especially when you figure this is the toughest walk he is going to see. British Open would be a lot flatter, but could give him crazy stances. PGA should be pretty flat. I'm not sure what Brookline is like for the US Open.
wilmwolf
I'd be willing to bet he'll play all the majors this year. I do think he will have a much harder time being competitive in the PGA and US open than he would at Augusta or the Open. PGA and US open setups are normally really long with long rough, and I just don't think his swing can handle that right now. Augusta is a place where he can be competitive for years.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Steve Videtich
wilmwolf80 said:

I'd be willing to bet he'll play all the majors this year. I do think he will have a much harder time being competitive in the PGA and US open than he would at Augusta or the Open. PGA and US open setups are normally really long with long rough, and I just don't think his swing can handle that right now. Augusta is a place where he can be competitive for years.

He just needs to find some consistency with the driver. Augusta was tough because of all the shot making it requires. If one of those you mentioned just required length, he'll just need to find a consistent drive. We'll see! It was fun having him back.
wilmwolf
I think with his leg injuries, and existing back problems, the driver will be the issue going forward. As long as he can hit baby cuts and get it out there far enough to have reasonable approaches he can play, but I just don't think he's doing to be able to move the ball out there anywhere close to what the big hitters do in the bomb and gouge era, and hope he doesn't try. He can still make shots, so on the right courses, his experience and craftiness will keep him competitive.
Steve Videtich
I think that's the key, "the right courses."
Bell Tower Grey
He still hasn't lost the ability to make shots. Occasionally gets a good drive out there. I think once he's able to regain his stamina he could possibly be a factor in most any tournament he plays. Poor guy was sweating so much today it looked like he was playing in the heat with a bodacious hangover.
Packchem91
Like the swallows at San Juan Capistrano….major Sunday Rory has shown up where he has played himself into a 10-shot hole the first three days, but shoots a 64 on the last day to at least make it fun
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

He still hasn't lost the ability to make shots. Occasionally gets a good drive out there. I think once he's able to regain his stamina he could possibly be a factor in most any tournament he plays. Poor guy was sweating so much today it looked like he was playing in the heat with a bodacious hangover.

Yeah I think with his unrivaled guts, his intelligence, and his ability to rise to the moment, he'll contend again.
Will likely be at a course where he has been successful (Augusta, though the contours may make that tough, but St Andrews, Torrey, Pebble, etc).
Bell Tower Grey
12th hole has cost Smith his shot at a chance to win.....add his name to a long list of "could haves"
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

12th hole has cost Smith his shot at a chance to win.....add his name to a long list of "could haves"

It is why the Masters is the best of all the Majors. That little bitty hole has ruined so many chances. But the whole back 9 is like that - you can make eagles or triples just as easily.

All scheffler has to do is keep it out of the water
Bell Tower Grey
Rory misses tying the course record by one. Hell of a shot on 18! Happy for him.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Rory misses tying the course record by one. Hell of a shot on 18! Happy for him.

I wish he'd start well in one of these things. The game is better when he's going well
Bell Tower Grey
Packchem91 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I wish he'd start well in one of these things. The game is better when he's going well
Yep. Always fun when he's around the top.
Steve Videtich
wilmwolf80 said:

I think with his leg injuries, and existing back problems, the driver will be the issue going forward. As long as he can hit baby cuts and get it out there far enough to have reasonable approaches he can play, but I just don't think he's doing to be able to move the ball out there anywhere close to what the big hitters do in the bomb and gouge era, and hope he doesn't try. He can still make shots, so on the right courses, his experience and craftiness will keep him competitive.

Here it goes! Commits to The Open.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33713741/tiger-woods-shoots-6-final-round-completes-comeback-masters
wilmwolf
No surprise there.
Bell Tower Grey
I hope he doesn't overextend himself working to get ready to play. Given his competitive nature, I could see it happening. Time and patience will be his friend in his ongoing recovery.
PackFansXL
Bell Tower Grey said:

Those bunker chips by both Mcilroy and Morikawa to finish their rounds were a nice contrast from the way Scheffler finished his round. I wonder if that 3 putt finish will haunt Scottie in the future.
Bell Tower Grey
PackFansXL said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Those bunker chips by both Mcilroy and Morikawa to finish their rounds were a nice contrast from the way Scheffler finished his round. I wonder if that 3 putt finish will haunt Scottie in the future.
I doubt it, that green jacket lifetime exemption, and 5 year exemption for the tour, The Open and The PGA Championship can erase a lot of haunts.
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I mean, he made all the tough shots down the stretch, from the par putt at 11 after Smith had just birdied to the par recovery at 12, and so on. Probably got to 18 green and frankly lost his mindset a little bit, given he had such a big lead.

Of course, with the # of guys capable of winning a major these days, there is no guarantee he'll be in that position again, but winning 4 out of 6 starts on the PGA Tour, including the API, the Match Play, and the Masters (all very good fields) is about as good a run as we've seen since the Tiger prime.

To your other point --- how awesome would it have been to be on 18 green when these two guys went back to back with birdie bunker shots. That was fun.
wilmwolf
I thought he clearly got emotional on 18 and that affected his putt(s). I had commented to my buddies how little emotion he had showed to that point, other than a little first pump on 3 when he chipped in, he was a golfing robot out there. Seems like a lot of the good younger players are that way, but I wonder sometimes if holding that all inside is the best way to go about it. Obviously, he's won the Masters and I'm on my couch, but my favorite players over the years have worn their emotions on their sleeves, so I guess it's what I like to see. Seems like a good dude though, having a helluva run.
Wolfer79
Scottie Scheffler eight weeks ago.

0 wins in 70 PGA Tour starts
$8.7M career earnings
Ranked No. 14 in the world

Scottie Scheffler today.

4 wins in 76 PGA Tour starts
$17.6M career earnings
Ranked No. 1 in the world
Masters champion

caryking
Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion
Think about that... 0 wins and 8.7M in earnings... man, we are really upside down in our priorities.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Steve Videtich
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion
Think about that... 0 wins and 8.7M in earnings... man, we are really upside down in our priorities.

They can thank Tiger for that!
Packchem91
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion
Compared to what? Teachers' or firemen salaries....100% agree.
Sports? A baseball player can hit successfully 1/3 times or hit 25 HR but strike out one of every two at bats and make $20m a year.

I do think Scheffler had finished top 5 in a number of events...in fact, looks like he has 23 top 10s in 76 career events --- that is going to generally pay pretty well.
wilmwolf
The money in sports at all levels is dumb, but I don't fault any of them for taking it.
DrummerboyWolf
PackFansXL said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

If you listen to his after round interview at the Masters, he said he just lost concentration on the 18th green. He was nervous before the round and broke down crying, but he said once he got to the golf course he was fine and kept his focus until the 18th green. He said he wanted to enjoy that part of it. Now does that mean he will win every time he has a lead? Probably not, but longterm he will be be fine.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2022-04-10/16496368490709213/scottie_scheffler_sunday_interview_2022.html
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion
Sports? A baseball player can hit successfully 1/3 times or hit 25 HR but strike out one of every two at bats and make $20m a year.

I do think Scheffler had finished top 5 in a number of events...in fact, looks like he has 23 top 10s in 76 career events --- that is going to generally pay pretty well.
Chem, wilmwolf hit the nail on the head. Sports, movie stars, wall streeters, salaries are out of control. At the end of day, it is what it is…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion

Chem, wilmwolf hit the nail on the head. Sports, movie stars, wall streeters, salaries are out of control. At the end of day, it is what it is…
They are indeed in context to the normal guy.
Like most university's highest paid employee is now the head FC.
We pay $12/ticket for the movies or $140 for a Panthers game or an Eric Church concert, etc because those guys who entertain us have to get paid.
People were paying many thousands to go to K's final game or the Final 4.
Craziness.

Bell Tower Grey
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion

We pay $12/ticket for the movies or $140 for a Panthers game or an Eric Church concert, etc because those guys who entertain us have to get paid.
Craziness.

With all due respect to you, you can have all the eric church concert tickets you care to buy. I wouldn't walk across the road to watch him burn in a field clearing, the tarhole fanboy.
Steve Videtich
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion

I actually equate these folks to the 1%'ers. Just about any group, the top 1% in their field make the most money.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

$8.7M career earnings

Scottie Scheffler today.

$17.6M career earnings
Masters champion

Craziness.

With all due respect to you, you can have all the eric church concert tickets you care to buy. I wouldn't walk across the road to watch him burn in a field clearing, the tarhole fanboy.
LOL --- I've never been -- just know that it is extremely costly. I would though -- I set party and team allegiances aside when it comes to entertainment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.