The Masters

14,317 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Wolfer79
ShaggyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Packchem91
ShaggyWolf said:

Used to actively pull against Tiger but I will be a huge fan of his this week. He has evolved and is much more likeable guy today, and has fought awfully hard to overcome his demons and injuries. Could have rode off in the sunset but chose to fight, which is admirable.

Don't you know CBS is praying for Tiger...ratings would be thru the roof if he were there on the w/e.

Alas, watching him limp around at the end of his first practice round....I just don't see it.
DrummerboyWolf
I don't know if you guys have seen the Dude Perfect video at Augusta. Chairman Fred Ridley gave his yearly press conference and this was the last question. If you go to about 34:20 you should hear it.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2022-04-06/16492613377241320/chairman_ridley_2022_press_conference.html

Here is the video and Bryson DeChambeau is in it. For them to get Augusta National to allow this is saying something. Ridley noted in his answer that they have 57 million followers on youtube and that caught his attention. It's pretty neat.

Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
Golf
Men's
The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
1st Round
Honorary Starters Masters Live, 7:40 a.m.
Holes 4, 5 and 6 Masters Live/ESPN+, 8:30 a.m.
Featured Groups Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 9:15 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 10:45 a.m.
Holes 15 & 16 Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 11:45 a.m.
Main Feed ESPN, 3 p.m.
Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 8:30 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 10 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, noon
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 1 p.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 2 p.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 7:30 p.m.
Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 7:30 p.m.
1st Round Replay ESPN, 8 p.m.
Masters Highlights CBS, 11:35 p.m.
Whitetailpack
Looks like Tee times have been pushed back 30 minutes due to overnight Thunderstorms.
SportManagementEngineer
Got a few bets in for the week:

Luke List to make the cut at -175 is good value
Will Zalatoris to finish top 20 (+125)
Matthew Fitzpatrick to finish top 20 (+145)

Justin Thomas (12-1) and Xander Schauffele (25-1) to win outright.

Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Packchem91
SportManagementEngineer said:

Got a few bets in for the week:

Luke List to make the cut at -175 is good value
Will Zalatoris to finish top 20 (+125)
Matthew Fitzpatrick to finish top 20 (+145)

Justin Thomas (12-1) and Xander Schauffele (25-1) to win outright.

JT is one of those guys who seems to have all the tools to rise to the top and just win....but seems to always have a bad round that keeps him from doing so.
Seems like there is no guy on tour today who wins consistently like we might expect they could/should....but I think we all got spoiled by watching Tiger who's win % was just stupid.

Rory, JT, DJ, Cantlay, Rahm....all, when on, are unstoppable....but in the majors, Brooks and Morikawa have been the guys over the past 4-5 years.
Wolfer79
Steve Videtich
Tiger's already changed legs that he uses to bend over and get the ball out of the hole. Using his left now.
Whitetailpack
Steve Videtich said:

Tiger's already changed legs that he uses to bend over and get the ball out of the hole. Using his left now.
He also doesn't crouch as low to read putts. But he's come out playing well. Great Iron shot into 5 from 218 to 10-12 feet to get to -1 under which would put him in the early lead.
bgr3
Recently re-watched the Tiger documentary, and it reinforced that the 2008 US Open is one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of sports. ALL sports. Growing up I was kind of ambivalent about Tiger but you just have to be in awe of the pure will it took to win that tournament. Probably hurt his long term career unfortunately.
wilmwolf
Steve Videtich said:

Needs to get himself one of those cheesy rubber suction cups for the end of his grip that all the old guys use*. I doubt anyone would judge him at this point.

*No offense to any actual old guys reading.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
I have to give him credit, as he's aged Tiger seems to have become more humbled than he was before. He's never been one I've pulled for, but the man was a golf machine back in his day. It's good to see him back out again.

Now, if Mickelson could just get his shtt together.....
Steve Videtich
wilmwolf80 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Needs to get himself one of those cheesy rubber suction cups for the end of his grip that all the old guys use*. I doubt anyone would judge him at this point.

*No offense to any actual old guys reading.

That would be funny as hell if he pulled that out on Sunday to get through the final round. Imagine how many kids would by those things if he did!
wilmwolf
Exactly. Limited edition Tiger Woods TaylorMade suction cups, I can see it now.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Steve Videtich
His mid wedges have let him down a couple times today.
Packchem91
bgr3 said:

Recently re-watched the Tiger documentary, and it reinforced that the 2008 US Open is one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of sports. ALL sports. Growing up I was kind of ambivalent about Tiger but you just have to be in awe of the pure will it took to win that tournament. Probably hurt his long term career unfortunately.
100% agree on everything you said.
I'd add his winning % in a game where even the 150th ranked golfer can get hot putter and win as we see, is just crazy.
Packchem91
Steve Videtich said:

His mid wedges have let him down a couple times today.
you have to figure the "touch" part of the short game is very rusty because it has not been used in real tournament conditions. The long stuff.....its just all muscle memory regardless of course, injuries, etc.
Bell Tower Grey
Wolff looks like a defeated man. He'll probably throw back a few tonight.
Bell Tower Grey
Hell of a shot for Niemann for eagle on 9, puts him in the lead.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolff looks like a defeated man. He'll probably throw back a few tonight.
He is.....as a father who had a son who was very good at competitive golf, then got so wrapped around the "perfection" goal that he ended up not being able to do anything well, its a lonely game that truly is 99% mental. And takes a long time to come back off that edge.
Steve Videtich
Par putts are working for Tiger today! Niemann has been striping the ball until 10.
Packchem91
Steve Videtich said:

Par putts are working for Tiger today! Niemann has been striping the ball until 10.
Impressive by him though -- whomever got paired with Tiger was going to have it tough today. Besides the crowd / noise factor, the way these players look up to him --- which has to be thru the roof today with him back out there -- would make it tough to be on your complete A game.
Steve Videtich
Right leg must be loosening up as the day goes on. Using it more and more with extra bend in the knee.
Whitetailpack
Found himself in the red today after a -1 71. Helluva day for Tiger. The first day you cant win the tourney but you sure can lose it. If he shoots anything under par tomorrow he will be in contention Sunday.

Packchem91
Whitetailpack said:

Found himself in the red today after a -1 71. Helluva day for Tiger. The first day you cant win the tourney but you sure can lose it. If he shoots anything under par tomorrow he will be in contention Sunday.

The sphincter level of all the other players will become 10x if Tiger shoots under par tomorrow.

And CBS would be printing money.
caryking
Like him or not, Tiger being in the thick of things makes any tournament that much more special. For me, the energy level feels different when he's on the leader board…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Like him or not, Tiger being in the thick of things makes any tournament that much more special. For me, the energy level feels different when he's on the leader board…
the impact is indescribable. Two of my sons are huge Tiger fans...they've been talking about this all week. He is one of the very few athletes from any sport who transcends and will bring in folks who are not fans of the sport to watch.

I think his injuries, and his involvement with his son (now he's a man, not a machine) will make him even more legendary. I've become a fan, and never was before.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

the impact is indescribable. Two of my sons are huge Tiger fans...they've been talking about this all week. He is one of the very few athletes from any sport who transcends and will bring in folks who are not fans of the sport to watch.

I think his injuries, and his involvement with his son (now he's a man, not a machine) will make him even more legendary. I've become a fan, and never was before.

I rode the love hate relationship with Tiger. When everyone was Tiger this, Tiger that, I wanted to see him lose. After his first problem with his divorce, everyone (well a lot of people) were happy to see him fall off his pedestal because of the Infidelity's. That's when I got on his bandwagon because I wanted to see him rebound in his life.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

I rode the love hate relationship with Tiger. When everyone was Tiger this, Tiger that, I wanted to see him lose. After his first problem with his divorce, everyone (well a lot of people) were happy to see him fall off his pedestal because of the Infidelity's. That's when I got on his bandwagon because I wanted to see him rebound in his life.
Yeah, we Americans love a comeback. Many like a fall....and then a comeback. He's been humanized.

Im personally hoping for Finau, Simpson or HV3 to win it, but if Tiger is involved, I'll be happy for him.
Wolfer79
Golf
Men's
The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
2nd Round
Holes 4, 5 and 6 Masters Live/ESPN+, 8:30 a.m.
Featured Groups Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 9:15 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 10:45 a.m.
Holes 15 & 16 Masters Live/ESPN+/CBSSports.com, 11:45 a.m.
Main Feed ESPN, 3 p.m.

Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 8:30 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 10 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, noon
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 1 p.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 2 p.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 7:30 p.m.
Live From The Masters Golf Channel, 7:30 p.m.
2nd Round Replay ESPN, 8 p.m.
Masters Highlights CBS, 11:35 p.m.
Whitetailpack
Should be an interesting day for sure. I think today is more about survival than anything else. It's going to be really windy today. Definitely going to have to create some shots and be shotmaker today. No better at that than Tiger Woods.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.