The Masters

14,566 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wufpack17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

jkpackfan said:

My favorite week of the year, I actually went down yesterday.
I've been once back in the 80's. It was incredible even then.

Also enjoyed got to the women's and men's Open at Pinehurst many years ago. But nothing beats the Masters
Was just talking to my oldest about this the other day (he's now 28) and we got back when he was about 6. My recollection was most about the contrast between the green grass and white sand in the bunkers (it was an overcast day and so the grass looked even more verdant). And the azaleas in Amen Corner.

His recollection was most about stopping at Shealys BBQ in Batesburg-Leesville on the way back towards CLT, lol.

I'm guessing now he'd have a different perspective, but then again, maybe not.
It isn't "sand" it's white quartz, which is what makes it damn white and just superior in every way.

BTW, I've played a tour course a couple of times immediately after an event (RBC Heritage in HHI). It's been 2 of the better rounds I've ever played. It was easy to get out of the bunkers and no matter my lie, it was always sitting on a tee. Just perfect conditions and it makes the game easier.
hokiewolf
Got to pick ten for the masters as part of a league I'm in. Kickers is you have to pick ten for every major, and can only use them once. Struggling with a ten to start out with.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
jkpackfan
Glasswolf said:

jkpackfan said:

My favorite week of the year, I actually went down yesterday.
I've been once back in the 80's. It was incredible even then.

Also enjoyed got to the women's and men's Open at Pinehurst many years ago. But nothing beats the Masters
No the Masters is on a level by itself, I've been blessed to go 3 times now and it is more beautiful than ever.

Plus you can't beat great sandwiches (pimento cheese, chicken salad) for 2 bucks and $4-5 beers.
jkpackfan
hokiewolf said:

Got to pick ten for the masters as part of a league I'm in. Kickers is you have to pick ten for every major, and can only use them once. Struggling with a ten to start out with.
I think you have to include Scheffler, Rory, Finau, Morikawa and maybe Day.

I'm in a league where we pick 6 (4 starters and 2 bench) and I have the following

Scheffler
Rory
Finau
Jason Day

Shane Lowry (he's really good with bad weather which it's looking like)
Sungjae Im (2 out of last 3 top 10s at the masters)

Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

You have to pick 10 for the Masters?

Go with who's hot, they may not be by mid-May:
Scheffler
Rory
Finau
Jason Day
Sam Burns
Cam Young
Koepka just won, assuming you can select a LIV guy
Max Homa has been really good all season

Justin Rose has been much improved this year and has done well at Augusta
Speith is almost always a good bet at Augusta
DJ has done well at Augusta if you can pick LIV, though i have no idea what kind of form he's in

Rahm is always gonna be a favorite, but I don't think has done much the last month.
caryking
Don't leave out Jon Rahm!! He's been solid this year…. That said, I'm thinking a LIV guy may give it a go…. Cam Smith, maybe…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
SexualChocolate
Play a ton on Draftkings. I like Rahm and McIlroy in weather. Mid guys that I like is Schaufele, IM and Cam Smith. Lower guys such as Conners and Lowery. Longer hitters are going to have an advantage on Friday and Sat.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Don't leave out Jon Rahm!! He's been solid this year…. That said, I'm thinking a LIV guy may give it a go…. Cam Smith, maybe…
Yep, Rahm is one of the 2 best players in the world and is a threat to win anytime, anywhere. I left him off my list above simply because you have to spread your guys out in Hokie's pool if you can only play them once

And in his last three, Rahm has gone:
Went 1-2 in match plays round robin, so did not advance out of pool play
WD from TPC
T39 at Bay Hill

Now, back to FEB, he was awesome.

I leave him out here for a Spieth or Rose or other "horses for courses" guy at Augusta and use Rahm at any of the other 3 majors.

But in reality, no way to be shocked if he won, even going away, this w/e.

And with LIV guys, so difficult to know if they are in form. I have not watched one shot of LIV and hardly looked at results beyond who won. But yes, Smith is also one of best world
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Play a ton on Draftkings. I like Rahm and McIlroy in weather. Mid guys that I like is Schaufele, IM and Cam Smith. Lower guys such as Conners and Lowery. Longer hitters are going to have an advantage on Friday and Sat.
Good call on Conners- he is another guy who has been on a roll.
910wolf
hokiewolf said:

That's a really cool concept for a league. So I assume you really want to spread out the top players and only take 5ish from the Top 20 in world at each.

With that strategy I'd probably do something like:
Masters - Scottie, Cam Smith, Finau, Spieth, Sunjae Im, Hideki, Corey Conners, Jason Day, Justin Rose, and Brooks.

I'd be looking to roll out Cantlay, Zalatoris, JT, and Burns at the PGA.

Rahm, Homa, Xander, Morikawa, and DJ at the US Open.

Rory, Hovland, Cam Young, and Fitzpatrick at the Open.

I spent way too much time thinking about this for a league I'm not in haha
hokiewolf
Went with

Speith
JT
Hoge
Niemann
Mitchell
Day
Finau
Xander
Lowry
Willett
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Wolfer79
[url=https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ga/augusta/33.47,-81.97/date/2023-04-06?cm_ven=localwx_modtoday][/url]TODAYTHU 04/06HIGH 86 F
[url=https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ga/augusta/33.47,-81.97/date/2023-04-06?cm_ven=localwx_modtoday][/url]23% Precip. / 0.00 in
A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 86F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow 04/07
79% / 0.24 in
Mostly cloudy with showers likely in the afternoon. Thunder is possible. High near 80F. SSE winds shifting to NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Saturday 04/08
97% / 0.82 in
Cloudy with periods of rain. Potential for heavy rainfall. High near 50F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall possibly over one inch.

Sunday 04/09
24% / 0 in
Cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 59F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.
Wolfer79
Golf
Augusta National
The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
1st Round
Honorary Starters Masters Live, 7:45 a.m.
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/ESPN+, 8:45 a.m.
Featured Groups: Tiger Woods/Viktor Hovland/Xander Schauffele & Jon Rahm/Justin Thomas/Cameron Young Masters Live/CBSSports.com/ESPN+/Paramount+, 9:15 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBSSports.com/ESPN+/Paramount+, 10:45 a.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBSSports.com/ESPN+/Paramount+, 11:45 a.m.
Main Feed ESPN, 3 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 8:30 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 10 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, noon
Welcome to The Masters ESPN, 1 p.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 7:30 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 7:30 p.m.
First Round Replay ESPN, 8 p.m.
Masters Highlights CBS, 11:35 p.m.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Due to injury, @WillZalatoris has officially withdrawn from the Masters Tournament prior to starting his first round.
caryking
If you didn't see Rory on #9, you really missed something awesome. Jim Nantz and Trevor Immelmann were speaking to Rory during the hole. Rory was giving commentary while playing the hole..

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
caryking
caryking said:

Well, Cam is under par; however, Brooks played great today!

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
caryking said:

caryking said:

Well, Cam is under par; however, Brooks played great today!
6 of the LIV crew are under par with Koepka obviously playing the best. Joaquin Nieman was 4 under at one point but fell back. Mickelson made two really bad swings that cost him 3 shots, got a bad break on drive up against the tree and he he had to play it right handed with the club turned over. Other than that he played really well and missed 3 eagle putts by inches.

Today was the day to go low and Koepka, Rahm, and Hovland all played great. Rahm double bogeyed the first hole then went 9 under after. It's a shame that the weather does not appear it is going to cooperate for the next three days. It's going to be a long slog and we will see how it goes. Lot of big names under par.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
910wolf
Awesome leaderboard after Day 1. Weather forecast has me bummed.
Packchem91
caryking said:

If you didn't see Rory on #9, you really missed something awesome. Jim Nantz and Trevor Immelmann were speaking to Rory during the hole. Rory was giving commentary while playing the hole..

I think Rory is the best interview in golf today. He's thoughtful, he speaks his mind, and he's charismatic enough.
And I love what they've done this year mic'ing up players to get their thought on the hole as they play it
Wolfer79
Today 04/07
80% / 0.45 in
Areas of patchy fog early. Partly cloudy this morning with thunderstorms becoming likely this afternoon. High 78F. SSW winds shifting to N at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Tomorrow 04/08
100% / 0.81 in
Periods of rain. Potential for heavy rainfall. High 51F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

Sunday 04/09
24% / 0 in
Mostly cloudy skies. Slight chance of a rain shower. High near 60F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ga/augusta/33.47,-81.97/date/2023-04-09
Wolfer79
Golf
Augusta National
2nd Round
Featured Groups: Danny Willett/Gary Woodland/Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson/Corey Conners/Justin Rose, Scottie Scheffler/Max Homa/Sam Bennett, Tiger Woods/Viktor Hovland/Xander Schauffele & Justin Thomas/Jon Rahm/Cameron Young Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8:15 a.m.
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8:15 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 10:15 a.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 11:15 a.m.
Main Feed ESPN, 3 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 8:30 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 10 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter at the Masters ESPN, noon
Welcome to The Masters ESPN, 1 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 7:30 p.m.
Second Round Replay ESPN, 8 p.m.
Masters Highlights CBS, 11:35 p.m.
DrummerboyWolf
Looks like Rory Mcllroy is going to miss the cut as he finished +5 for his two rounds. I usually don't pull against players, but this development makes me happy. He is a great player, but he has been way too mouthy in the LIV/PGA dispute for my liking. Enjoy your time off.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Here is the ESPN video of the trees falling. Thank the Lord that nobody got hurt or injured severly.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrFeXZXnDBkNZoXIl5XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=video+of+trees+falling+at+the+Masters&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=14&vid=2cb0996718ac2bb10e8c6e98bc238526&action=view
Wolfer79
Today 04/08
100% / 1.1 in
Rain likely. Potential for heavy rainfall. High 49F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near an inch.

Tomorrow 04/09
14% / 0 in
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. High 64F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ga/augusta/33.47,-81.97/date/2023-04-09
Wolfer79
Golf
Augusta National

2nd Round (resume suspended play from 4/7)
Featured Groups: Tiger Woods/Viktor Hovland/Xander Schauffele & Justin Thomas/Jon Rahm/Cameron Young Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8 a.m.
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8 a.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8 a.m.
Main Feed ESPN, 8 a.m

3rd Round
Featured Groups Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, noon
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 12:15 p.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 1:30 p.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 2:45 p.m.
Main Feed CBS, 3 p.m.

Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 11 a.m.
We Need to Talk at the Masters CBS, 12:30 p.m.
An Invitation to The Masters: Latin America Amateur Championship CBS, 1:30 p.m.
13 Green Jackets: A Conversation With Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus and Scottie Scheffler CBS, 2 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel, 7 p.m.
Third Round Replay CBS Sports Network, 8 p.m.
caryking
For those that questioned the LIV players; well, they are playing good…

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
caryking said:

appears to be an exception

Bryson DeChambeau Makes a Fool of Himself Yet Again at the Masters, Finishes 3 Strokes Behind 63-Year-Old Fred Couples in Round 1

https://www.sportscasting.com/bryson-dechambeau-makes-fool-himself-masters-finishes-3-strokes-behind-63-year-old-fred-couples-round-1/
Ahead of the 2020 Masters Tour
nament, Bryson DeChambeau brazenly called Augusta National Golf Club a par 67 for him. At the time, the big-hitting scientist was driving the ball farther than anyone in PGA Tour history, and he had the ability to overpower golf courses in a way we've never seen before. It wasn't a preposterous statement as long as he could back it up on the course.

Spoiler alert: He hasn't.

Since calling Augusta a par 67, DeChambeau has played 11 rounds at the Masters. The LIV Golf defector hasn't broken 67 in any of them, and he's broken 70 only twice. In the first round at the 2023 Masters, DeChambeau made a fool of himself once again with a 2-over 74.

Wolfer79
caryking said:

as Marty Smith just said on espnradio/SEC Nation
if Brooks wins, it will be a huge validation of LIV Golf

as Ryan McGee said on same show
it will be all media will be talking about on Monday
Wolfer79
caryking said:

SEC appears to be well represented too

Roster for the 2023 @TheMasters includes 16 golfers from the 14 @SEC member universities. @UGAGolf leads with eight (8) competitors. @RazorbackMGolf & @AggieMensGolf each have two (2) competitors. One (1) competitor each from @LSUMensGolf @VandyMGolf @AlabamaMGolf & @GatorsGolf

Three amateurs and 13 professionals make up the @SEC 16 in Augusta this weekend. The three amateurs are Arkansas' @MateofdeoMateo Texas A&M's @sammy_golf24243 and Vanderbilt's @GordonSargent5.

With a total field of 88 (according to The Masters app)…18.18% of the field played college golf in the @SEC…and three of the seven amateurs are currently playing in the SEC. (Note: I did my own research so hope it's correct).

caryking
Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

appears to be an exception

Bryson DeChambeau Makes a Fool of Himself Yet Again at the Masters, Finishes 3 Strokes Behind 63-Year-Old Fred Couples in Round 1

Hey, several good PGA golfers didn't make the cut…. JT and Rory to name a couple…

Joe Biden

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.