The Masters

14,824 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

For those that questioned the LIV players; well, they are playing good…

appears to be an exception

Bryson DeChambeau Makes a Fool of Himself Yet Again at the Masters, Finishes 3 Strokes Behind 63-Year-Old Fred Couples in Round 1

Hey, several good PGA golfers didn't make the cut…. JT and Rory to name a couple…
they got beat by 63 year old Fred Couples also
Wolfer79
caryking said:

Here's how all 18 of the LIV golfers performed during 2023 Masters first two rounds

https://www.augustachronicle.com/story/sports/pga/2023/04/08/brooks-koepka-leads-2023-masters-how-all-liv-golfers-performed/70092858007/

leader

tie 10th - 2 golfers

tie 17th

tie 20th

tie 28th - 3 golfers

tie 36th

tie 46th

tie 49th - 2 golfers

missed cut - 6 golfers

Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

as Marty Smith just said on espnradio/SEC Nation
if Brooks wins, it will be a huge validation of LIV Golf

as Ryan McGee said on same show
it will be all media will be talking about on Monday

Ryan McGee for the win. Though he could have added - if a LIV golfer does NOT win Sunday, it will still be the main thing the golf media is talking about

(Probably mixed in with the restricted coverage and how we all "suffered" because of it. CBS had to be hot, as this was all so predictable
caryking
The Masters is all about the weekend. If you're plying good, you can score. If not, well…

I don't really get too caught up in the PGA vs LIV thing. Whether you like what happened (the LIV tour) or not, both tours have really good players. I really hope the majors, which they want, will invite all the top players.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

appears to be an exception

Bryson DeChambeau Makes a Fool of Himself Yet Again at the Masters, Finishes 3 Strokes Behind 63-Year-Old Fred Couples in Round 1

Hey, several good PGA golfers didn't make the cut…. JT and Rory to name a couple…
Bryson is also recovering from surgery to remove I think a cyst in his nasal passage. It was something that was pretty serious. Plus it's golf. Guys always go through slumps. Couples always plays well at the Masters so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in whomever wrote this.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
DrummerboyWolf
Just another thing about DeChambeau's round yesterday. His 3rd shot at 15 hit the flag and went into the water and he got a bogey. That one shot cost him making the cut.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/unlucky-break-costs-dechambeau-chance-183935943.html

Here is the story about him having vertigo from a cyst in his sinus cavity.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-has-surgery-fix-vertigo-no-longer-chasing-distance
Packchem91
caryking said:

The Masters is all about the weekend. If you're plying good, you can score. If not, well…

I don't really get too caught up in the PGA vs LIV thing. Whether you like what happened (the LIV tour) or not, both tours have really good players. I really hope the majors, which they want, will invite all the top players.

Has anyone ever really doubted the LIV had good players?
Dj was number one in the world not that long ago. Cam Smith just won The Open. Koepka has won 4 majors (he's not good in regular events but high winning % in majors). Couple of other younger guys like Juaquin Neiman who can be good

Personally, I don't want them to win, but that's mostly because other than Smith and Varner, I'm not really a fan of any of those guys
And two, they've become irrelevant playing on a tour taht almost no one watches and no one follows.

I hope that they play in the Majors for which they qualify, but I won't have sympathy for them if they get left out
Wolfer79
Today 04/09
5% / 0 in
Cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. High 64F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ga/augusta/33.47,-81.97
Wolfer79
Golf
Augusta National
The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
3rd Round
Main Feed CBS, 8:30 a.m.
Featured Groups: Adam Scott/Patrick Cantlay/Cameron Smith, Scottie Scheffler/Tommy Fleetwood/Tony Finau, Sam Burns/Jordan Spieth/Cameron Young, Thomas Pieters/Tiger Woods/Sungjae Im Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8:30 a.m.
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8:30 a.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 8:30 a.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount, 8:30 a.m.

Final Round
Featured Groups: Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 12:30 p.m.
Amen Corner Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 12:45 p.m.
Featured Holes: 4, 5, 6 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 12:55 p.m.
Featured Holes: 15, 16 Masters Live/CBS Sports Digital/ESPN+/Paramount+, 1:15 p.m.
Main Feed CBS, 2 p.m.
Green Jacket Ceremony Masters Live, 7 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel/Peacock, 7 a.m.
Masters on the Range CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel/Peacock, 11:30 a.m.
An Invitation to The Masters: Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship CBS, 12:30 p.m.
Jim Nantz Remembers Augusta: The Masterful Tom Weiskopf CBS, 2 p.m.
Live From the Masters Golf Channel/Peacock, 7:30 p.m.
Final Round Replay CBS Sports Network, 8 p.m.
Wolfer79
packgrad
Wolfer79 said:

Figured it was a matter of time. He looked absolutely miserable.
DrummerboyWolf
Koepka still leads at -11 with a one over round. Rahm is 2 shots behind and Victor Hovland is 3 shots behind. Hovland birdied 5 holes in a row starting #11 thru #15. Those holes were not easy. Patrick Cantlay is at -6 so he still has a chance. Probably a 4 man race right now. It is warming up so maybe someone else can make a run, but the course is still going to be long and wet.

Mickelson and Speith both struggled and could be paired together for round 4. Phil was 3 over after play resumed today to finish at -1. Jordan struggled yesterday and was 4 over for the round and also finished at -1, which is a tie for 20th.
packgrad
Tough day for Brooks. Was pulling for him.
910wolf
The Spieth and Phil pairing was a ton of fun today. Those guys playing together and shooting the 2 low rounds of the day provided some much needed juice.

Koepka with an all time collapse. Started this morning at -13 and up by 4. This collapse at the Masters is up there with Norman's which makes it all the more ironic.

Rahm is so freaking good. It won't happen, but him and Scottie could sweep the majors this year.
packgrad
910wolf said:

The Spieth and Phil pairing was a ton of fun today. Those guys playing together and shooting the 2 low rounds of the day provided some much needed juice.

Koepka with an all time collapse. Started this morning at -13 and up by 4. This collapse at the Masters is up there with Norman's which makes it all the more ironic.

Rahm is so freaking good. It won't happen, but him and Scottie could sweep the majors this year.

Brooks was up 2 strokes after 54. Not remotely the same as Norman.
jkpackfan
Couldn't happen to a better guy. I almost feel sorry for him…almost
910wolf
packgrad said:

910wolf said:

Brooks was up 2 strokes after 54. Not remotely the same as Norman.

Didn't say it was the same, but it's up there. I saw this stat and it's what made me think of the comparison.
packgrad
Greg Norman held a 6 stroke lead after 54 and lost by 5. I'm sure dozens of players have lost a 2 stroke lead going into the final round of a major.
910wolf
packgrad said:

Greg Norman held a 6 stroke lead after 54 and lost by 5. I'm sure dozens of players have lost a 2 stroke lead going into the final round of a major.

Agree, Norman's is worse. Weather delay made Brooks's feel worse then just a 2 stroke lead. Started the day with a 4 stroke lead and lost by 4. The LIV connections just made it more ironic. They certainly have this in common now.

packgrad
Yeah. Thats really what it's all about. The LIV connection. Not even remotely the same as far as play.
jkpackfan
910wolf said:

packgrad said:

Agree, Norman's is worse. Weather delay made Brooks's feel worse then just a 2 stroke lead. Started the day with a 4 stroke lead and lost by 4. The LIV connections just made it more ironic. They certainly have this in common now.

Lol gotta love it.
DrummerboyWolf
Congrats to Jon Rahm. He is playing great this year and deserved to win.

Did not expect Koepka to not play well, but it happens. The weather played a huge role in this.

Speith and Mickelson put on a show. Both could have shot lower than they did. Phil gave away at least 3 shots on Thursday that he normally wouldn't. He did show that he can still play and contend in the Majors.
packgrad
DrummerboyWolf said:

Did not expect Koepka to not play well, but it happens. The weather played a huge role in this.

Speith and Mickelson put on a show. Both could have shot lower than they did. Phil gave away at least 3 shots on Thursday that he normally wouldn't. He did show that he can still play and contend in the Majors.

Was happy for Phil. Happy for him to show everyone he still has it. They put on a show.
Packchem91
910wolf said:

I really didn't have the feeling it compared to Norman's collapse at all. He was only leading by 3?
I think context matters too. Norman was the best in the world at the time IIRC but had been brutalized in crazy majors finishes. And yet in that Masters was high flying and just sure to rid that Masters goose-egg from his accomplishments.
Then that ball rolled all the way back down #9 to 50 yards off the green, and he just melted down

I know Koepka had a bigger lead at points of r3, but that was so choppy, it never felt the same

ETA: every time I see a shot on Sunday at 16, I marvel at how badly Norman missed that into the water that day. It had to be one of the worst shots by a high ranking tour player in a long long time
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

At Augusta.
I'm not sure he will/can anywhere else, at least bass on form (as much as anyone knows his form since the LIV is played in relative obscurity)
If the golf media didn't continually whine about the LIV, I'm not sure anyone would even give it a 2nd thought

Agree on Rahm. He and Scottie have been the two best in the world over the past year. I thought his comments about a "Seve par" on 18 were outstanding.
TheStorm
Cool. LIV Phil made a late charge that catapulted him up the leaderboard… with absolutely no chance to win.

Congrats… now go crawl back under that sand dune you've been hiding under for two years.
DrummerboyWolf
Haters going to hate. Until someone posted a lower score, then he had a chance. Rahm took the bull by the horns and hit the shots. Had he made just one bad swing on 12, 13, 15, or 16 it could have gotten interesting. I think his second shot on 14 won him the tournament. Until you have seen that green in person, you don't know how diabolical it is.

910wolf

Really fun thought exercise here. It's so hard to win majors in this era because there are so many capable players. Don't see anyone on the list getting past 5.
Packchem91
910wolf said:

Really fun thought exercise here. It's so hard to win majors in this era because there are so many capable players. Don't see anyone on the list getting past 5.

I agree on the depth of talented players. But I could see Rahm getting the most
And if Rory ever gets straight, he would (but we've been saying that a long time now)
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Cool. LIV Phil made a late charge that catapulted him up the leaderboard… with absolutely no chance to win.

Congrats… now go crawl back under that sand dune you've been hiding under for two years.

Yeah I had no interest in Phil winning yesterday
Outside a guy getting into legal trouble, I can't think of a guy who fumbled "legend" status any quicker than he has

*and of course, he likely should have had legal troubles for his insider trading scheme
packgrad
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

And if Rory ever gets straight, he would (but we've been saying that a long time now)
I say either Rahm or Scheffler, both are on another level at the moment. I know Scheffler didn't have his best tournament but that dude seems to always be in the top 10-15 of every tournament, same with Rahm.
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Outside a guy getting into legal trouble, I can't think of a guy who fumbled "legend" status any quicker than he has

*and of course, he likely should have had legal troubles for his insider trading scheme
Yeah he was always one of my favs but with the insider trading mess and going to LIV he's just not the same Phil to me anymore.

I will say he and Spieth put on a clinic yesterday, was a lot of fun to watch.
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

I say either Rahm or Scheffler, both are on another level at the moment. I know Scheffler didn't have his best tournament but that dude seems to always be in the top 10-15 of every tournament, same with Rahm.

Despite the depth of really good players right now, I'd be amazed if either Rahm or Scheffler didn't win one of the 3 remaining majors this year. They've both been so good they have to be odds on favorites (unless there is some horse for course kinda like both Phil and Spieth are at Augusta)
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah he was always one of my favs but with the insider trading mess and going to LIV he's just not the same Phil to me anymore.

I will say he and Spieth put on a clinic yesterday, was a lot of fun to watch.

No surprise on Spieth, he's great at Augusta.
But even seeing Phil interviewed earlier this week he just looked different. None of that usual spark you see in him. But dude didn't win so maybe/o being a tough competitor and Augusta flipped a switch for him to

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.