Coronavirus

2,000,358 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by Werewolf
packwest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pineknollshoresking said:

Oh... the UK government announced that 60% of COVID hospitalizations have been vaccinated. Then they restated their number to 40% have been vaccinated! Either number is big number!!!

Let's give the vaccine a big kudos for working so effectively.

Bayes Theorem/conditional probability
Civilized

Oh... the UK government announced that 60% of COVID hospitalizations have been vaccinated. Then they restated their number to 40% have been vaccinated! Either number is big number!!!

Agree, we should!

Even if you assume the full 40% have been double jabbed (which is not clear based on the wording of their health minister's statement), that's clear evidence of the vaccine's significant effectiveness, not the other way around.

The key detail you're leaving out is that a little under 90% of the UK has been fully vaccinated. That's extremely important.

It means that the 10% of the UK that is unvaxxed is generating 60% of the hospitalizations, whereas the vaccinated ~90% is generating only 40% of the hospitalizations.

In very rough numbers therefore, you are around 12x - 15x likelier to be hospitalized from COVID in the UK if you are unvaxxed versus vaccinated. Obviously this is due to some combination of you being both less likely to catch the disease, and it also being less likely that the disease becomes severe if you are vaxxed.

Remember, in a hypothetical where 100% of the population has been vaccinated, 100% of the hospitalizations will be vaccinated patients. There will just be very, very few of them, compared to the scenario where 100% of the population was unvaccinated.
Packchem91
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

C'mon, Chem, it's been proven on here over the last several months that the AAP, APA, and other seemingly apolitical medical establishments are actually run by partisan hacks serving as the right hand of Marx himself.

Try to keep up.

Lol. They're as apolitical as you are independent.
I had deleted my earlier joking comment about the AAP having Randi Weingarten on speed dial, but since I saw this... I guess I wasn't far off....

Wayland, Davie, PG for your links to other commentary. Like most things Covid related (and life), very little is black and white, a whole lot of gray.

Wayland's screenshot, taken in a vacuum certainly gives pause. DW and PG's articles seem to argue for the evidence of little lift from having kid wear masks...which seems reasonable.
Maybe moreso, what Davie's tweet proves is the difficult of any uniform policy across a country as big, diverse, and with different health factors as ours. As one of the tweets indicated....kids in VT shouldn't have to live by teh same stricter measures as some kid in Houston or LA.

I take away all these "national" groups should provide guidance, with still local input on how (or if) it gets implemented to that degree?
TheStorm

Civilized said:

Dow drops more than 700 points on Monday, heads for worst decline of 2021

Public health implications aside, continued economic impacts as long as we have tens of millions of eligible adults unvaccinated are a good reason to try to motivate unvaxxed Americans to get vaxxed.

Whether or not they should be, public health, and public health care, are unfortunately fraught and politically charged but there should be no more bipartisan rallying cry than economic health and avoiding economic growth stagnation due to groundhog day COVID spikes.

Vaccination and ultimately herd immunity is our way off the COVID economic roller coaster.
That is some funny stuff, Civ...
LOL. I wondered if he actually typed that tripe with a straight face...

2 MORE DAYS!
TheStorm
And I see that Chem must have gotten bored with his recent run of supporting the pro side of common sense and has drifted back into taking up the contrarian stance again... with zero numbers to back up that stance I might add.

Just when I was really starting to warm up to his posts... Oh, well!
caryking
Civilized said:

Agree, we should!

Even if you assume the full 40% have been double jabbed (which is not clear based on the wording of their health minister's statement), that's clear evidence of the vaccine's significant effectiveness, not the other way around.

The key detail you're leaving out is that a little under 90% of the UK has been fully vaccinated. That's extremely important.

It means that the 10% of the UK that is unvaxxed is generating 60% of the hospitalizations, whereas the vaccinated ~90% is generating only 40% of the hospitalizations.

In very rough numbers therefore, you are around 12x - 15x likelier to be hospitalized from COVID in the UK if you are unvaxxed versus vaccinated. Obviously this is due to some combination of you being both less likely to catch the disease, and it also being less likely that the disease becomes severe if you are vaxxed.

Remember, in a hypothetical where 100% of the population has been vaccinated, 100% of the hospitalizations will be vaccinated patients. There will just be very, very few of them, compared to the scenario where 100% of the population was unvaccinated.
Good Lord, civ...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
RunsWithWolves26
Canada announced that they will open their border to fully vaccinated US citizens August 9th. You will still need a molecular or PCR test within 72 hours of entry showing you are negative though. Not sure if that fits into the category of science or not.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

C'mon, Chem, it's been proven on here over the last several months that the AAP, APA, and other seemingly apolitical medical establishments are actually run by partisan hacks serving as the right hand of Marx himself.

Try to keep up.

I had deleted my earlier joking comment about the AAP having Randi Weingarten on speed dial, but since I saw this... I guess I wasn't far off....

Wayland, Davie, PG for your links to other commentary. Like most things Covid related (and life), very little is black and white, a whole lot of gray.

Wayland's screenshot, taken in a vacuum certainly gives pause. DW and PG's articles seem to argue for the evidence of little lift from having kid wear masks...which seems reasonable.
Maybe moreso, what Davie's tweet proves is the difficult of any uniform policy across a country as big, diverse, and with different health factors as ours. As one of the tweets indicated....kids in VT shouldn't have to live by teh same stricter measures as some kid in Houston or LA.

I take away all these "national" groups should provide guidance, with still local input on how (or if) it gets implemented to that degree?
Actually, what is being proven is Federalism works!!! Folks, our form of government has sovereign states with a few powers granted to a federal government!!! Remember, there wouldn't be federal government if the states didn't create it!!!!!

Help me with the following question... we have people getting sick, after getting both shots, and going to the hospital with COVID issues. Most of us have received a vaccine for polio, small pox, etc..., have we ever heard of people developing those symptoms again?

Joe Biden
Oldsouljer
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Canada announced that they will open their border to fully vaccinated US citizens August 9th. You will still need a molecular or PCR test within 72 hours of entry showing you are negative though. Not sure if that fits into the category of science or not.
Also not sure you'd want to go. They've turned into a real fascist police state up there.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Try to keep up.

No. They should just make evidence based guidance. Unfortunately they don't have that on their side, so they're just moving forward with political based guidance and hoping enough people are lazy enough to think they are apolitical.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

And I see that Chem must have gotten bored with his recent run of supporting the pro side of common sense and has drifted back into taking up the contrarian stance again... with zero numbers to back up that stance I might add.

Says the guy who is vaccinated, just complains about having to be vaccinated, lol.

Look, I think it was Mormad who said this a couple of weeks ago....but anyone who thinks in absolutes about Covid is part of the problem (and you're continually rallying behind the return of just such a guy).

I asked for why the AAP would be political rather than using its best medical guidance to advocate for its advocacy....and several folks provided compelling arguments. I'm not sure...but I think, thats the way this board thing is supposed to work.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Says the guy who is vaccinated, just complains about having to be vaccinated, lol.

Look, I think it was Mormad who said this a couple of weeks ago....but anyone who thinks in absolutes about Covid is part of the problem (and you're continually rallying behind the return of just such a guy).

I asked for why the AAP would be political rather than using its best medical guidance to advocate for its advocacy....and several folks provided compelling arguments. I'm not sure...but I think, thats the way this board thing is supposed to work.
Wouldn't that be nice?

Joe Biden
PackFansXL
Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

Packchem91, where is the gray in this? Folks provided links to several independent medical professionals challenging this latest "national" group guidance. We have hard evidence that at least one national group (CDC) provided pre-release reviews of their guidance to teachers union leadership and subsequently revised their positions to match the preferences of union leadership. Fauci has waffled all over the place regarding masks. We have had the POTUS shaming governors of states that chose to defy mask and lockdown mandates. We have hard evidence of the weaponizing of "science" for political gain. Do you remain confident that political influence is NOT impacting these "national" guidance statements?
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

Packchem91, where is the gray in this? Folks provided links to several independent medical professionals challenging this latest "national" group guidance. We have hard evidence that at least one national group (CDC) provided pre-release reviews of their guidance to teachers union leadership and subsequently revised their positions to match the preferences of union leadership. Fauci has waffled all over the place regarding masks. We have had the POTUS shaming governors of states that chose to defy mask and lockdown mandates. We have hard evidence of the weaponizing of "science" for political gain. Do you remain confident that political influence is NOT impacting these "national" guidance statements?
Gray? All of covid response is gray, to an extent. No one (smart people, not us) have been completely right on this. We thought vaccines would be an answer, and they are, but they are not fail proof. Countries thought they were significantly past Covid, and then they are not. Everyone is assuming we'll all be at FB games this fall, but who knows if cases start increasing again....Gray.
This is our first pandemic conducted in the SM era. SM makes us all experts, and makes us all want answers yesterday. We're dealing with a novel virus. Novel is clearly correct. I bet the doctors / scientists who developed vaccines for polio are thankful that they didn't do so in the SM era.

As for political....to put it simply...everything about Covid is political. It was that way with Trump, it is that way with Biden, and it is that way with us, despite everyone claiming differently. That said, I'm disappointed if orgs like the AAP, which should be only after the best for the people it serves directly, are being impacted by political leanings of other organizations. A medical org seems to be the one agency that should tell things exactly like they are, regardless of whether we like it or not.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

PackFansXL said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

Gray? All of covid response is gray, to an extent. No one (smart people, not us) have been completely right on this. We thought vaccines would be an answer, and they are, but they are not fail proof. Countries thought they were significantly past Covid, and then they are not. Everyone is assuming we'll all be at FB games this fall, but who knows if cases start increasing again....Gray.
This is our first pandemic conducted in the SM era. SM makes us all experts, and makes us all want answers yesterday. We're dealing with a novel virus. Novel is clearly correct. I bet the doctors / scientists who developed vaccines for polio are thankful that they didn't do so in the SM era.

As for political....to put it simply...everything about Covid is political. It was that way with Trump, it is that way with Biden, and it is that way with us, despite everyone claiming differently. That said, I'm disappointed if orgs like the AAP, which should be only after the best for the people it serves directly, are being impacted by political leanings of other organizations. A medical org seems to be the one agency that should tell things exactly like they are, regardless of whether we like it or not.
and that post was completely gray!

Joe Biden
ncsualum05
I haven't been on this thread in a while but why are we not moving on with life yet? Why are our lords still f'ing up the country, the world, the supply chain, the economy, etc.? Will there ever be a normal again?

Hey you know you can step outside and catch a virus. Anything from a cold to something awful and rare. This virus was a threat. It's endemic now. Here to stay. Thanks China and we look forward to SARS 3.0. However in the meantime if people haven't been vaccinated by now it's their choice. If you have then great you have a layer of protection. Move on with life otherwise it's not going to be worth living.
GuerrillaPack
ncsualum05 said:

I haven't been on this thread in a while but why are we not moving on with life yet? Why are our lords still f'ing up the country, the world, the supply chain, the economy, etc.? Will there ever be a normal again?

Hey you know you can step outside and catch a virus. Anything from a cold to something awful and rare. This virus was a threat. It's endemic now. Here to stay. Thanks China and we look forward to SARS 3.0. However in the meantime if people haven't been vaccinated by now it's their choice. If you have then great you have a layer of protection. Move on with life otherwise it's not going to be worth living.
This isn't about a virus. What it's really about is dramatically changing our world -- to bring in "The Great Reset" aka worldwide socialism & tyranny...aka the "New World Order" agenda. The "pandemic" is a staged and fabricated psyop, used as the excuse to bring in this agenda. They want mandatory vaccines, vaccine passports (setting the precedent for a "mark of the Beast" type system in the future, where you can't buy or sell without it), collapse the economy on purpose to kill small businesses and the middle class and increase the power of big corporations, vastly increase government debt to cause massive inflation and eventually currencies to collapse (and then bring in a new cashless digital currencies), massive government power grabs and setting the precedent for government being able to forcibly quarantine people at internment camps, etc.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

First of all, I never HAD to be vaccinated... I made a personal choice to be vaccinated. And I did it far more for other's safety rather than my own. You've never - not once - heard me complain about getting or being vaccinated. So let's get that straight right out of the gate.

I was around people on a daily basis for the entirety of the first 12-14 months of the pandemic and would have been exposed to it at one time or another 100%... I wasn't going to catch it (and I don't ever catch the flu either for that matter).

Why didn't you ask for a link to the detailed studies that the AAP cited for their recommendation? Why didn't you ask for the numbers of percentage positives, hospitalizations and deaths for "young children" even maybe?

Someone has asked the AAP to take this stance. That's not even debatable (based on NO SUPPORTING DATA).

YOUR question should be WHO? And then WHY?

Psssst. Think about the Facebook information that came out earlier this week (hell, maybe it was last week at this point).

I'll hang up and listen.
packgrad
Yeah. Why ask for the data they used to make this advisory?. Rather he'd just like to label me as a conspiracy theorist with the "not everybody is out to get you."

Also the it's still gray nonsense is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They put out a political advisory not based on science. It's black and white. Because one day in the future there could possibly be a variant that makes it so 2 year olds and older need to wear masks in school doesn't make the statement they just made completely not based on science.
Daviewolf83
More "data" regarding the impact of Covid on young people as it regards masking in schools.

WarrenPeace
GuerrillaPack said:

ncsualum05 said:

This isn't about a virus. What it's really about is dramatically changing our world -- to bring in "The Great Reset" aka worldwide socialism & tyranny...aka the "New World Order" agenda. The "pandemic" is a staged and fabricated psyop, used as the excuse to bring in this agenda. They want mandatory vaccines, vaccine passports (setting the precedent for a "mark of the Beast" type system in the future, where you can't buy or sell without it), collapse the economy on purpose to kill small businesses and the middle class and increase the power of big corporations, vastly increase government debt to cause massive inflation and eventually currencies to collapse (and then bring in a new cashless digital currencies), massive government power grabs and setting the precedent for government being able to forcibly quarantine people at internment camps, etc.

100% truth right there folks. Good for you for having the courage to speak it.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

First of all, I never HAD to be vaccinated... I made a personal choice to be vaccinated. And I did it far more for other's safety rather than my own. You've never - not once - heard me complain about getting or being vaccinated. So let's get that straight right out of the gate.

I was around people on a daily basis for the entirety of the first 12-14 months of the pandemic and would have been exposed to it at one time or another 100%... I wasn't going to catch it (and I don't ever catch the flu either for that matter).

Why didn't you ask for a link to the detailed studies that the AAP cited for their recommendation? Why didn't you ask for the numbers of percentage positives, hospitalizations and deaths for "young children" even maybe?

Someone has asked the AAP to take this stance. That's not even debatable (based on NO SUPPORTING DATA).

YOUR question should be WHO? And then WHY?

Psssst. Think about the Facebook information that came out earlier this week (hell, maybe it was last week at this point).

I'll hang up and listen.
First, the comment about your getting the shot was intended to be a joke, but I realize its difficult to make that clear sometimes.

As for the rest of your point re AAP....I'm coming around. I read thru their original release and there is all kind of social gerrymandering going on in there....and with the other posts provided, i get why many really question the reasoning for their claims. I'll take the L on blindly supporting them out of the gate.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Yeah. Why ask for the data they used to make this advisory?. Rather he'd just like to label me as a conspiracy theorist with the "not everybody is out to get you."

Also the it's still gray nonsense is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They put out a political advisory not based on science. It's black and white. Because one day in the future there could possibly be a variant that makes it so 2 year olds and older need to wear masks in school doesn't make the statement they just made completely not based on science.
As I just psoted to Stormy, I'll take the L on the AAP support.

My "gray" comments are about Covid in general. If you think how to treat all things Covid is black and white, we'll just agree to disagree.
TheStorm
caryking
Well, Rand Paul called Fauci out today. My opinion here:

Fauci is a liar and a massive detriment to all regarding this pandemic. His credibility is completely gone!

Joe Biden
Ripper
Rand Paul is probably the only pol in DC (both parties) that is worth a damn.
GuerrillaPack
I can't find the post, but a few days ago people were discussing the fact that ~40% of the "delta cases" in the UK are among vaccinated people. I recall that one person was trying to spin that fact as "good for the vaccines" by claiming that the UK had some "really high" vaccination rate among their population - with the argument along the lines of "if almost everyone is vaccinated, then of course you might have 40% of cases among vaccinated people, but this really small portion of the population who are not vaccinated are making up 60% if the cases, making you 12 times more likely to get the virus if you are not vaccinated". Well, that's actually not the case at all. I looked up the number, and only 54% of the UK population are fully vaccinated. While that's among the highest rate of any nation in the world, it's not like the "vast majority" of the population are jabbed, as this person was arguing.

I don't buy for one second the claim right now that "~98%" of current covid cases in the US are among the unvaccinated. They are cooking the books with the "data" to push their pro-vaccine agenda.
ciscopack
Texas hospital reports its 1st case of lambda COVID-19 variant

Mask mandates make a return - along with controversy
Packchem91
Interesting. Life expectancy for blacks and Hispanics in the US fell by 3 years last year.

Daviewolf83
More on vaccination of people under the age of 18. In the UK, the Joint Commission on Vaccination and Immunization has come out with their position and it is:

"The health benefits in this population are small, and the benefits to the wider pop. are highly uncertain. At this time, JCVI is of the view that the health benefits of universal vaccination in children and young people below the age of 18 do not outweigh the potential risks."

I doubt this gets much if any mention in the mainstream media in the US.

Read the full story here:
Independent Report - JCVI statement on Covid-19 vaccination of children and of children and young people aged 12 to 17 years
Civilized
GuerrillaPack said:

I can't find the post, but a few days ago people were discussing the fact that ~40% of the "delta cases" in the UK are among vaccinated people. I recall that one person was trying to spin that fact as "good for the vaccines" by claiming that the UK had some "really high" vaccination rate among their population - with the argument along the lines of "if almost everyone is vaccinated, then of course you might have 40% of cases among vaccinated people, but this really small portion of the population who are not vaccinated are making up 60% if the cases, making you 12 times more likely to get the virus if you are not vaccinated". Well, that's actually not the case at all. I looked up the number, and only 54% of the UK population are fully vaccinated. While that's among the highest rate of any nation in the world, it's not like the "vast majority" of the population are jabbed, as this person was arguing.

I don't buy for one second the claim right now that "~98%" of current covid cases in the US are among the unvaccinated. They are cooking the books with the "data" to push their pro-vaccine agenda.

It was hospitalizations, not Delta cases GP.

The UK science chief Patrick Vallance reported that 60% of hospitalizations in the UK from COVID are from unvaxxed and 40% are from partially or fully vaxxed UK residents.

The 90% stat is that 90% of UK adults have been jabbed at least once (they're the 40% "vaccinated" bucket in Vallance's stat). Since essentially all of the hospitalizations are adults, comparing adult vaccination rates to (adult) hospitalizations is apples-to-apples.

10% of UK adults are generating 60% of the hospitalizations. 9 times as many vaccinated adults are generating only 40% of the total hospitalizations.

Yes, that's very positive news for vaccine efficacy.

Vaccine efficacy isn't really even the conversation anymore; the vaccines are clearly great at preventing serious cases, hospitalizations, and COVID deaths.

The only conversation is risk/benefit for the remaining unvaxxed.
packwest
Daviewolf83 said:

More on vaccination of people under the age of 18. In the UK, the Joint Commission on Vaccination and Immunization has come out with their position and it is:

"The health benefits in this population are small, and the benefits to the wider pop. are highly uncertain. At this time, JCVI is of the view that the health benefits of universal vaccination in children and young people below the age of 18 do not outweigh the potential risks."

Independent Report - JCVI statement on Covid-19 vaccination of children and of children and young people aged 12 to 17 years
Davie -- have you seen any literature about whether the vaccine impacts the rising incidences of Type 1 and/or 2 Diabetes in children that catch COVID19?
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

I'm fine with this, but my question is how will schools / policy makers move from shutting everything down for 2 weeks at a time when there is a case of COVID in a classroom, vs. treating it like a cold / flu?
packgrad
bsorry11 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Davie -- have you seen any literature about whether the vaccine impacts the rising incidences of Type 1 and/or 2 Diabetes in children that catch COVID19?

From American Diabetes Association

" There are increasing reports of people with COVID-19 developing temporarily high glucose levels and, in some cases, DKA. However, there is no convincing evidence at this time that COVID-19 causes autoimmunity or triggers type 1 diabetes. "

https://www.diabetes.org/sites/default/files/2020-08/covidgenrecs4aug172020.pdf
Daviewolf83
bsorry11 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

As it relates specifically to children, I do not recall seeing any direct studies or literature on this point. As it relates to adults with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes, there is some compelling evidence that those people have had more adverse effects from the virus. I do recall there was some discussion in one paper I read months ago as to the mechanisms as to why this is could be the case (people with diabetes having disproportionate impact from the virus), but can not remember what those were off the top of my head. I've been up since 2am, managing a major IT release I have been leading for the past 9 months, so my head is a little jumbled at the moment.

There was a recent study just completed by some researchers at Johns Hopkins that I mentioned in a post a couple days ago (may have been yesterday, but I can't remember exactly) that pointed out that when you adjust for known, pre-existing health conditions, the incidence of mortality is basically zero for younger people. I do recall one death in NC of a younger person (they were in their teens) from complications related to Covid last year was a child with diabetes. This was one of the early deaths reported for people under the age of 18.

The report I linked to today, did call out an exception for vaccinations and said for those children who have health conditions that put them more at risk, vaccination would be warranted. I would think being diagnosed with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes would be a one of the criteria for vaccination.
First Page Last Page
Page 313 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.