Coronavirus

1,979,961 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Ground_Chuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No one suggesting an 18 month FDA full clinical trial.

I think they are suggesting don't get super excited about a 9 person sample size.
statefan91
Still awaiting results here, I just saw an article that LabCorp has ramped up testing to try to complete 20k tests per day in NC. Hope that continues to expand and ramps up quickly.

I hope that whatever levers need to be pulled to ensure that we are producing maximum amount of test kits and are testing them asap, isolating those that come back positive, and stamp this out. I hope the cures mentioned can work but it is appearing those may take a long time to sort out.
Ground_Chuck
Is the labcorp news 20k for NC or 20k nationwide?
pblanks
What is the average recovery period for the normal person that does not take the "cure"?

I ask because I would expect someone that is asymptomatic would recover from most viruses in a week to 2 weeks.
PackBacker07
pblanks said:

What is the average recovery period for the normal person that does not take the "cure"?

I ask because I would expect someone that is asymptomatic would recover from most viruses in a week to 2 weeks.

They are saying to quarantine for 15 days if you are positive and exhibiting non symptoms.
dwanna
Ground_Chuck said:

Is the labcorp news 20k for NC or 20k nationwide?
I believe that is for NC... what I read did say results from them may take 3-4 days...
RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

No one suggesting an 18 month FDA full clinical trial.

I think they are suggesting don't get super excited about a 9 person sample size.

From what I've read, it was 40 people and they are starting another one with 100 tomorrow. Regardless, at least it's good news. The fact that Italy and the USA had their first confirmed case within a day of each other and we are so much better off right now then Italy is a positive in and of itself.
Everpack
This thing is starting to look like reinforcement that humans aren't meant to live in concrete jungles stacked on top of one another like caged animals.
PackBacker07
RunsWithWolves26
PackBacker07 said:

That measels vaccine is amazing. It has eliminated cancer in a few stage 4 patients in the past. Lord have mercy I wish I was as smart as some of these doctors are. Starring your post and wishing I could 100 times.
Steve Williams
Staff
GuerrillaPack said:

What is going on in Italy is not evidence that this virus has a "high" death rate. As I understand, they labelled a ton of people as "presumptively" having the coronavirus, without actually testing them. In reality, a lot of the deaths of these people who "presumtively" had the virus are just actually deaths from pre-existing illnesses combined with the regular flu, etc.

Here's a new study showing that over 99% of the "corona deaths" in Italy are from people who had pre-existing serious/morbid illnesses, and the average age of those dying "from the virus" is 79.5.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says?fbclid=IwAR0PclLSlJJWQL-ECj_bcFEALLN8KB6Id0uNGXBLiKzs73H6ozWCYkgAn-g

Quote:

More than 99% of Italy's coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country's national health authority.

The average age of those who've died from the virus in Italy is 79.5. As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy's victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions.

So...I'm still not buying that this is any more serious than the regular flu. Virtually no one dies from it who is under 40, and no one under 40 dies from it who does not have pre-exisiting health problems. Even virtually no one in their 50s-80s who is healthy dies from this. The vast majority of people who die from it are in their 70s or 80s and have pre-existing serious health problems -- just as occurs with the regular flu.
I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I honestly feel this entire scenario has been media-driven. I truly believe that that the down-the-road impacts will be far more severe than the virus itself. I think there are definitely things as a nation we could do to slow the spread of this virus. However, I think shutting the nation down was a gross over reaction.

One thing I've learned is the government has checks and balances. The media has carte blanche to say and do whatever they want with no fear of ever being held accountable. It's become clear to me who really holds the power in this country.
acslater1344
^ it seems to me like the lockdown efforts are mostly in reaction to cdc and the epidemic expert recommendations. The media is the reason for the panic buying and whatnot, but I think the decisions being made by government officials are based mostly in science.
packgrad
Steve Williams said:

GuerrillaPack said:

What is going on in Italy is not evidence that this virus has a "high" death rate. As I understand, they labelled a ton of people as "presumptively" having the coronavirus, without actually testing them. In reality, a lot of the deaths of these people who "presumtively" had the virus are just actually deaths from pre-existing illnesses combined with the regular flu, etc.

Here's a new study showing that over 99% of the "corona deaths" in Italy are from people who had pre-existing serious/morbid illnesses, and the average age of those dying "from the virus" is 79.5.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says?fbclid=IwAR0PclLSlJJWQL-ECj_bcFEALLN8KB6Id0uNGXBLiKzs73H6ozWCYkgAn-g

Quote:

More than 99% of Italy's coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country's national health authority.

The average age of those who've died from the virus in Italy is 79.5. As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy's victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions.

So...I'm still not buying that this is any more serious than the regular flu. Virtually no one dies from it who is under 40, and no one under 40 dies from it who does not have pre-exisiting health problems. Even virtually no one in their 50s-80s who is healthy dies from this. The vast majority of people who die from it are in their 70s or 80s and have pre-existing serious health problems -- just as occurs with the regular flu.
I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I honestly feel this entire scenario has been media-driven. I truly believe that that the down-the-road impacts will be far more severe than the virus itself. I think there are definitely things as a nation we could do to slow the spread of this virus. However, I think shutting the nation down was a gross over reaction.

One thing I've learned is the government has checks and balances. The media has carte blanche to say and do whatever they want with no fear of ever being held accountable. It's become clear to me who really holds the power in this country.

I too am a minority. I think history will not look upon us favorably in how this situation was handled.
Steve Williams
Staff
I think the media forced the government's hand. They were already after the white house early on saying they were slow to react and not taking it seriously. If they didn't go scorched earth with everything the media would've roasted them. BTW, it's just disgusting to me that CNN keeps an infection and death counter pegged on the screen like we're keeping up with the stock market of death for entertainment.
packgrad
acslater1344 said:

^ it seems to me like the lockdown efforts are mostly in reaction to cdc and the epidemic expert recommendations. The media is the reason for the panic buying and whatnot, but I think the decisions being made by government officials are based mostly in science.

I think the cdc and epidemic experts would quarantine and lock us down for the flu as well if they could.
82TxPackFan
Steve Williams said:

I do believe that this is a very serious threat to people with vulnerable immune system (elderly, respiratory issues, etc.) & areas with high density of people (NYC, LA, SF, etc), but the media has made the situation much worse with irresponsible reporting & interjection of their personal bias into their reporting.
82TxPackFan
I also think that Pence & his team are doing an exceptional job dealing with this crisis & appear to be making significant progress.
Glasswolf
82TxPackFan said:

I also think that Pence & his team are doing an exceptional job dealing with this crisis & appear to be making significant progress.

I agree. That's why potus needs to sit down and let them handle it
RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

I agree. That's why potus needs to sit down and let them handle it

Agree with both these statements. I will say, the past couple of times, trump honestly hasn't been as cringeworthy as he is most times. I still feel better about things when pence, berx, or Dr. F are talking.
GuerrillaPack
Steve Williams said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Quote:

100% agree with you Steve. As I've said from the beginning, I am not convinced that this "coronavirus" is any more dangerous than the regular flu. I believe that the claims that coronavirus has a "much higher death rate" are based upon incorrect and misleading "calculations". The Establishment media has whipped people into a hysteria and panic mode, with non-stop 24/7 fear-mongering -- blowing this completely out of proportion.

I am absolutely convinced that there is an ulterior agenda at work here -- with the Establishment media and governments fabricating a "crisis" in order to advance a totalitarian plan...ie, the globalist/communist "New World Order" agenda. I believe that the "powers-that-be" even deliberately want to engineer an economic collapse -- with the panic from that economic crisis used to advance other aspects of their larger plan. And this contrived "coronavirus crisis" was used as the pretext to accomplish this. There is also a TON of money to be made by those who had "insider" knowledge that this contrived crisis was coming -- eg, selling off stocks before it hit, and then buying it all up for pennies on the dollar later.

If these lockdowns stay in place for any longer than a few more weeks, the economic impacts from this are going to be catastrophic. Where I work (engineering firm), one of our largest clients just this last Friday put a stop on all work on their projects. Other clients may follow suit. I could see a large percentage of our firm being laid off in the near future. Across the rest of the economy, it will be the same thing. Restaurants, bars, and businesses connected to sports and entertainment are already being devastated -- with huge numbers of people being made unemployed. The unemployment rate is going to skyrocket -- who knows, up to 30-40% of the nation may be unemployed in just one month if they continue with this hysteria.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Steve Williams
Staff
Based on everything I've read, the elderly with underlying conditions appear to be at increased risk. Those under 40 appear to be no worse off with corona than the regular flu and in many, many cases- corona is less severe. However, many people have become convinced that contracting the corona virus is a death sentence. The fact that so many could be so easily misled is very disturbing to me.
wilmwolf
The only fresh meat at my teeter this morning was filet mignon and pork butts. Last weekend all they had was chicken wings and ribeyes. If I go out, I will go out will fed.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Trump has done just fine in his press briefings. He unfortunately has to constantly deal with the press asking irrelevant questions trying to trip him up or get a sound bite. They are not looking to report on the pandemic. Simply looking to get Trump. Seriously, how many questions do we need about the China Virus or Kung Flu. They are literally trying to make news.

I think the only people still outraged by his press briefings haven't gotten past him being elected in the first place.
packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

The only fresh meat at my teeter this morning was filet mignon and pork butts. Last weekend all they had was chicken wings and ribeyes. If I go out, I will go out will fed.

My wife went last night trying to get a filet and none were to be found. The only thing she could get was a package of hot dogs. 2 for..... $12!!!!!! Admittedly, the hot dogs were good, but not $6 a package good.
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

Trump has done just fine in his press briefings. He unfortunately has to constantly deal with the press asking irrelevant questions trying to trip him up or get a sound bite. They are not looking to report on the pandemic. Simply looking to get Trump. Seriously, how many questions do we need about the China Virus or Kung Flu. They are literally trying to make news.

I think the only people still outraged by his press briefings haven't gotten past him being elected in the first place.

Obviously you are a diehard trump guy and that is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that. With that said, trump hasn't handled the press conferences well in some situations. In others, I feel like he has done a pretty good job. Can't believe I am saying this, but if he held his press conferences as well as the governor of NY has held his, a lot more people would feel better about how things are being done. Cuomo, a guy I've never really liked, IMO, has handled his press conferences extremely professionally and well.
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

Obviously you are a diehard trump guy and that is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that. With that said, trump hasn't handled the press conferences well in some situations. In others, I feel like he has done a pretty good job. Can't believe I am saying this, but if he held his press conferences as well as the governor of NY has held his, a lot more people would feel better about how things are being done. Cuomo, a guy I've never really liked, IMO, has handled his press conferences extremely professionally and well.

I am hardly a diehard Trump guy. I am a diehard tired of people crying about everything Trump guy though.

acslater1344
I think one of the main factors here is trying like hell to prevent the numbers getting so high as once that we don't have enough ventilators. Could end up being an issue here in Charlotte. The death rate will go up in areas where that could occur.

And if we're not supposed to get political in this thread, perhaps we should avoid New World Order conspiracy comments? That's just asinine.
GuerrillaPack
acslater1344 said:

I think one of the main factors here is trying like hell to prevent the numbers getting so high as once that we don't have enough ventilators. Could end up being an issue here in Charlotte. The death rate will go up in areas where that could occur.

And if we're not supposed to get political in this thread, perhaps we should avoid New World Order conspiracy comments? That's just asinine.
No. What's truly asinine is the grossly extreme and hysterical response to this virus.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
82TxPackFan
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I agree that Cuomo has done a great job of handling his conferences. To be fair though, he doesn't have a group of reporters screaming at him during the Q&A and asking questions that have nothing to do with the Coronavirus situation.

I do believe it would be better if Pence would handle the press conferences, but then certain members of the press would criticize Potus for not being engaged on the crisis.
PackBacker07
82TxPackFan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I agree that Cuomo has done a great job of handling his conferences. To be fair though, he doesn't have a group of reporters screaming at him during the Q&A and asking questions that have nothing to do with the Coronavirus situation.

I do believe it would be better if Pence would handle the press conferences, but then certain members of the press would criticize Potus for not being engaged on the crisis.

Cuomo is not POTUS. It comes with the territory. What POTUS said yesterday in response to a softball question was grotesque.

Pence has been fine up there, but we need to hear more from Fauci.
Y'all means ALL.
GuerrillaPack
Who cares about someone's "gravitas" in handling a conference, or whether they said "mean words"?? Ooooh, did he say something that offended you?

Of far, far more importance are the actions that are being taken. Do you really want to live in a forced quarantine lockdown, as Cuomo has enacted in the state of New York -- with almost all businesses forcibly shut down?

At least Trump has not taken such extreme and completely unnecessary and damaging measures. Trump was right to call the coronavirus a "hoax", at the beginning. It is troubling that he has now changed his tune and is responding to this thing as if it was truly a threat.

PackBacker07
GuerrillaPack said:

Who cares about someone's "gravitas" in handling a conference, or whether they said "mean words"?? Ooooh, did he say something that offended you?

Of far, far more importance are the actions that are being taken. Do you really want to live in a forced quarantine lockdown, as Cuomo has enacted in the state of New York -- with almost all businesses forcibly shut down?

At least Trump has not taken such extreme and completely unnecessary and damaging measures.

Leadership in crisis is telling, and it has many facets.

But, I'd love for this thread to get back to the actual virus.
Y'all means ALL.
GuerrillaPack
PackBacker07 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

At least Trump has not taken such extreme and completely unnecessary and damaging measures.

Why is there this need to control what other people are talking about? I'm not the one who brought up press conferences.

All of the things that are being discussed here are directly related to the virus, and are on topic. There is no "derailing" of anything here.

Just let people express their views, and have a discussion. Freedom of speech. What a concept.
packgrad
The majority of Americans approve of Trump's handling of coronavirus according to this poll.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/corner/poll-majority-approves-of-trumps-handling-of-coronavirus-pandemic/amp/
PackBacker07
GuerrillaPack said:

PackBacker07 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Why is there this need to control what other people are talking about? I'm not the one who brought up press conferences.

All of the things that are being discussed here are directly related to the virus, and are on topic. There is no "derailing" of anything here.

Just let people express their views, and have a discussion. Freedom of speech. What a concept.

Was not directed at you. This thread is on the verge of just becoming another political ****show thread. Hence, why I mentioned steering back to the actual virus.
Y'all means ALL.
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.