Coronavirus

2,001,549 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Werewolf
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That doesn't look like a good picture in terms of daily deaths
Wayland
statefan91 said:

That doesn't look like a good picture in terms of daily deaths
Well. When you let 'Rona run rampant in nursing homes (a place where a lot of the residents are 'short term'), can't be surprised when some of them die from C19 OR some of them die WITH C19.

Deaths still trending down, DESPITE mostly coming out of nursing homes 6 months into the pandemic. Good thing NC DHHS finally implemented a staff testing plan 5 months in!!!

We have entered the Legacy Death Laundering portion of C19. A wink and a nod to Wake County for 'finding' a new C19 death from April today.
Packchem91
King Leary said:

Packchem91 said:

34 more congregate deaths? Cohen's plan doesn't seem to be very effective. Seems that should be drawing her attention, not parents at CFB games.
At this point it's comical that our response to congregate facilities has been so bad
I'm not sure "comical" is the right word...."criminal" might be better suited. But I get your point.

But I'm not sure the mainstream media cares. To them, it seems to be about telling on the young people out at restaurants and living life that draws all the attention...not the grandparents dying in a place we've been promised is being protected.
Colonel Armstrong
Yes sorry about that. Comical is a poor word choice given the gravity of the situation.

For how much we stress "science" and "protecting the vulnerable" it's horrible to see congregate facilities still driving the large majority of deaths in this state.
TopsailWolf
Amazingly inept leadership. Accountability needs to happen in November.
Mormad
statefan91 said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

Our current inpatient census and icu census is down significantly. Only 5 in the unit, only 2 tubed. Inpt census in the 30s
This is very good news. Thanks very much for the insight. I hope the census for ICU continues to stay low, since these are the patients who might have the worst outcomes.

Do you believe improvement in treatment protocols and medicines could be contributing to the reduction in ICU census and more particularly to the reduction in patients who are tubed?

I think it's multifactorial. Certainly, i think we're managing the disease a little better as we learn more, but i also think disease demographics have changed, and in general the population that gets infected is getting less severe disease.
This may be a question that requires more insight than most of us can provide, but my understanding of most viruses is that they infect to live, not to kill the host. Do you think there are more severe strains of it that have killed more but in killing that person may be less replicated, leaving us with milder versions of it?

I think that's an excellent question. I think that certainly has the potential to play a role here. I've seen it mentioned in papers.

Nobody wants to hear this here, but i think masking has had a huge part in reducing severity of disease by reducing the inoculum. Cloth masks can reduce the inoculum by 40-60% and N95s by 95%. Decreased dose of virus equals decreased severity of disease. Read an article with evidence supporting this notion this morning. I think masking reduces the numbers of positives somewhat, but increases the numbers of asymptomatic and mild cases significantly. And i think we're starting to see that bear out as deaths/ hospitalizations decline.
Everpack
Mormad said:

statefan91 said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

Our current inpatient census and icu census is down significantly. Only 5 in the unit, only 2 tubed. Inpt census in the 30s
This is very good news. Thanks very much for the insight. I hope the census for ICU continues to stay low, since these are the patients who might have the worst outcomes.

Do you believe improvement in treatment protocols and medicines could be contributing to the reduction in ICU census and more particularly to the reduction in patients who are tubed?

I think it's multifactorial. Certainly, i think we're managing the disease a little better as we learn more, but i also think disease demographics have changed, and in general the population that gets infected is getting less severe disease.
This may be a question that requires more insight than most of us can provide, but my understanding of most viruses is that they infect to live, not to kill the host. Do you think there are more severe strains of it that have killed more but in killing that person may be less replicated, leaving us with milder versions of it?

I think that's an excellent question. I think that certainly has the potential to play a role here. I've seen it mentioned in papers.

Nobody wants to hear this here, but i think masking has had a huge part in reducing severity of disease by reducing the inoculum. Cloth masks can reduce the inoculum by 40-60% and N95s by 95%. Decreased dose of virus equals decreased severity of disease. Read an article with evidence supporting this notion this morning. I think masking reduces the numbers of positives somewhat, but increases the numbers of asymptomatic and mild cases significantly. And i think we're starting to see that bear out as deaths/ hospitalizations decline.

So 4 out of 5 infections occur in the home and you want me to believe that masks are the reason for more mild infections? Hard pass here.
wilmwolf
It's an interesting theory, but the article I read was that it was just a theory, without any actual studies backing it, other than the same studies of how far and how many particles escape from masks that we've seen on memes for months now. Perhaps one day all of these things will get studied in a thorough and scientific manner and we actually learn what to do next time.

My alternate theory would be that the most vulnerable portion of the population, who are also most likely to be in one place and exposed to the virus for longer, have already been run through with the virus. We are now testing more and more young healthy people in very large amounts, who are more likely to have been exposed to the virus in passing, and who are less likely to be severely affected by the virus, and thus the severity of cases and hospitalizations are going down.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Not trying to be smart but I don't follow your answer. What is your theory or thought on how the virus is trending?
Everpack
Wilmwolf80 answers that question in the post above.

My point is that it's been stated that 4 out of 5 infections are transmitted in the home. In other words, man contracts virus at work, takes it home and infects his wife and live-in mother-in-law. Chances are high that the man was wearing a mask at work because it's a requirement. Chances are probably 100% that he, his wife and his MIL don't wear at mask at home. If the majority of cases are being transmitted in the home, then masks have minimal affect on infection severity. It's more likely that the virus is just doing what viruses do now. We're better at treating individuals that can be treated. We're testing every person with a symptom that inevitably finds more cases and then testing their close contacts which finds a handful of asymptomatic infections, which drives cases even higher. Oh, and we've still not figured out how to keep old people in nursing homes from dying.
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

It's an interesting theory, but the article I read was that it was just a theory, without any actual studies backing it, other than the same studies of how far and how many particles escape from masks that we've seen on memes for months now. Perhaps one day all of these things will get studied in a thorough and scientific manner and we actually learn what to do next time.

My alternate theory would be that the most vulnerable portion of the population, who are also most likely to be in one place and exposed to the virus for longer, have already been run through with the virus. We are now testing more and more young healthy people in very large amounts, who are more likely to have been exposed to the virus in passing, and who are less likely to be severely affected by the virus, and thus the severity of cases and hospitalizations are going down.

Totally agree with all of this.

Regarding the first: how do you study this? Who volunteers to stand face to face in front of an infected individual and take a cough and sneeze in the face, even through a mask?

Edited to add: Sneeze in a mask. Take said mask off. Feel inside of mask. Is it wet? If you're infected, do those wet droplets contain virus? Are those virus laden droplets that otherwise would have potentially been in the face of an exposed person? If they are, then does that reduce the number of virus particles in that person's face? By how much? Does viral load/ inoculum have any correlation whatsoever with risk of infection/ severity of infection? You guys answer these questions for yourself and come up with your own conclusions. Cool with me.

The second paragraph is, in my mind, also a big reason we're doing better.

People are going to think what they want to think.
Mormad
Everpack said:

Mormad said:

statefan91 said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

So 4 out of 5 infections occur in the home and you want me to believe that masks are the reason for more mild infections? Hard pass here.

Do you have a link for that? The secondary infection in the household is around 16-19%. I don't believe that 80% of the covid positives up to now were infected in the home. Could be wrong, but I'd be pretty surprised. Your highest risk would be at home if a family member becomes infected because precautions aren't taken, but that doesn't mean most infections occur secondarily in the home.
Civilized
Everpack said:

I'm virtually certain this is simply not true. Do you have sources for this?

What I've read is that the rate of positives in the house is surprisingly low, around that same number - 20%. I.e. COVID-positive patients only infect a housemate 20% of the time.
Daviewolf83
Some encouraging news on possible treatments regarding monoclonal antibodies. I know Dr. Fauci has talked about how important they could be in helping to treat the coronavirus, so this is a positive step.

Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

9/10/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
928 <- 90% reporting (was 916 at 86%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1544 Deaths are now Congregate (+13)
484 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+32 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

962 Deaths assumed General Population (+16)
2028 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+16)

353 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+9)
Nursing Homes 192 -> 199
Resident Care 101 -> 103
Correctional 43 -> 41
Other 8 -> 10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1222 positive cases over 31726* new tests. 3.9% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 31726 but DHHS claims only 26277 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/10
9/9(2), 9/8(5), 9/7(9), 9/6(6), 9/5(5), 9/4(4), 9/3, 8/30, 8/28, 7/20

2 missing Dates of Death assigned dates.
1 death removed on 9/1
9/11/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
938 <- 93% reporting (was 928 at 90%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1564 Deaths are now Congregate (+20)
484 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+33 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

975 Deaths assumed General Population (+13)
2048 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+20)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+4)
Nursing Homes 199 -> 205
Resident Care 103 -> 105
Correctional 41 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1532 positive cases over 36815* new tests. 4.2% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 36815 but DHHS claims only 30056 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/11
9/10(10), 9/9(6). 9/8(4). 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/4(2), 9/1, 8/30, 8/26, 8/17(2), 8/6, 8/3, 7/7

2 DoD previously missing assigned dates.
9/12/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
870 <- 95% reporting (was 938 at 93%)
Completed Tests

1578 Deaths are now Congregate (+14)
485 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+24 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

984 Deaths assumed General Population (+9)
2063 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

357 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+0)
Nursing Homes 205 -> 209
Resident Care 105 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

1454 positive cases over 22478* new tests. 6.5% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 22478 but DHHS claims only 17717 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/12
9/11(2), 9/10(7), 9/9(3), 9/8, 9/7(2), 9/3(3), 8/30, 8/21

4 deaths added missing DoD.
9/13/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
831 <- 91% reporting (was 870 at 95%)
Completed Tests

1581 Deaths are now Congregate (+3)
485 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

986 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
2066 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

358 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (+1)
Nursing Homes 209 -> 210
Resident Care 101 -> 101
Correctional 37 -> 37
Other 10 -> 10

1196 positive cases over 34976* new tests. 3.4% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 34976 but DHHS claims only 19632 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/13
9/12, 9/11(4)

DHHS TESTING % POSITIVE FOR TODAY 4.9%
9/14/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
895 <- 92% reporting (was 831 at 91%)
Completed Tests

1587 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
486 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

987 Deaths assumed General Population (+1)
2073 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+7)

350 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-8)
Nursing Homes 210 -> 208
Resident Care 101 -> 97
Correctional 37 -> 35
Other 10 -> 10

845 positive cases over 18711* new tests. 4.5% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 18711 but DHHS claims only 13313 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/14
9/13, 9/12(3), 9/11, 9/10, 9/9, 9/8, 8/27, 8/22, 8/17

3 DoD previously missing assigned dates.

DHHS TESTING % POSITIVE FOR TODAY 4.8%
9/15/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
916 <- 94% reporting (was 895 at 92%)
Completed Tests

1621 Deaths are now Congregate (+34)
489 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+51 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1001 Deaths assumed General Population (+14)
2110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+37)

345 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-5)
Nursing Homes 208 -> 205
Resident Care 97 -> 96
Correctional 35 -> 36
Other 10 -> 8

1106 positive cases over 17621* new tests. 6.3% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 17621 but DHHS claims only 9563 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/15
9/14(7), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11(8), 9/10(3), 9/9, 9/8, 9/7(3), 9/6, 9/5, 9/1, 8/30, 8/17, 8/12, 8/9, 8/7, 8/4, 8/3, 8/1, 7/23, 7/16, 7/12(2), 4/14

9/16/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
918 <- 96% reporting (was 916 at 94%)
Completed Tests

1642 Deaths are now Congregate (+21)
498 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+38 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

1009 Deaths assumed General Population (+8)
2140 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+30)

338 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-7)
Nursing Homes 205 -> 204
Resident Care 96 -> 91
Correctional 36 -> 35
Other 8 -> 8

1137 positive cases over 30944* new tests. 3.7% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 30944 but DHHS claims only 22513 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/16
9/15(2), 9/14(13), 9/13(6), 9/12(5), 9/11, 9/10, 9/8(2), 9/6(3), 9/5, 9/4, 9/3(2), 9/2, 8/29, 8/25, 8/14

2 missing DoD assigned Dates

One Death Removed
9/7 (Gaston)
TheStorm
I caught out of the corner of my eye yesterday afternoon and noticed where Mandy Cohen was yacking away live on Spectrum News Channel again... anybody here know what any of that was about?
packgrad
Based on hospitalizations, I think there's more evidence that getting pregnant causes Covid than masks prevent the spread of Covid.
Wayland
packgrad said:

Based on hospitalizations, I think there's more evidence that getting pregnant causes Covid than masks prevent the spread of Covid.
The statewide hospitalization number provided by NC DHHS seems very detached from cases.

Mormad provided a little more better news with regards to his particular hospital that numbers were trending down (I think, I don't want to speak for him).

But statewide, the hospitalization number seems 'stuck'.
Everpack
I read that number back in the summer and can't find it now. All I see now points to what you say here at about 20%, which is peculiar to me. Of the four people I know who have gotten the virus, all but one had 100% infection in their homes.
82TxPackFan
TheStorm said:

I caught out of the corner of my eye yesterday afternoon and noticed where Mandy Cohen was yacking away live on Spectrum News Channel again... anybody here know what any of that was about?

Based on listening to her past briefings, I feel 100% confident that whatever she was saying was pure bullsh*t & not worth hearing.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

The statewide hospitalization number provided by NC DHHS seems very detached from cases.

Mormad provided a little more better news with regards to his particular hospital that numbers were trending down (I think, I don't want to speak for him).

But statewide, the hospitalization number seems 'stuck'.
It appears the daily hospitalization census has been tracking fairly closely to the estimated active cases for each day, based on the graph below. There was a jump in estimated active cases in the past two weeks and this would be linked to the brief increase we saw in cases from the return of students at some of the larger universities. The interesting thing from the graph is these case increases do not appear to have affected the daily hospitalized census. Since we know most people in the university student age group have the best outcomes, this should not be a surprising trend.

The other thing related to your post is the "stickyness" of the hospitalizations as active cases have declined. Active cases are declining at a faster rate than hospitalizations. This could be due to cases entering a hospital taking time to recover or there could be some other reasons for the "stickyness" of the hospital census when compared to active cases.

caryking
I know of two people that have said they've experienced a death where it was labeled COVID; however, the circumstances doesn't support the cause.

• Person in a car wreck and on life support expecting to die. The person gets tested as positive. The person dies, from the car wreck Injuries; however, the hospital Labels cause as COVID. Why, they get more funding.
  • Relative is in a nursing home with Hospice called in. Relative gets COVID and ultimately dies. Nursing home marks cause of death as COVID because they get more funding. In fact, the nurse stated this is exactly why they listed this one as COVID.

In both cases, the people were going to die; however, the cause is marked as COVID. Based on conversations I've had with people on the front line, this is a very common occurrence. This makes me very skeptical about everything regarding the stats regarding COVID.
Wayland
caryking said:

I know of two people that have said they've experienced a death where it was labeled COVID; however, the circumstances doesn't support the cause.

• Person in a car wreck and on life support expecting to die. The person gets tested as positive. The person dies, from the car wreck Injuries; however, the hospital Labels cause as COVID. Why, they get more funding.
  • Relative is in a nursing home with Hospice called in. Relative gets COVID and ultimately dies. Nursing home marks cause of death as COVID because they get more funding. In fact, the nurse stated this is exactly why they listed this one as COVID.

In both cases, the people were going to die; however, the cause is marked as COVID. Based on conversations I've had with people on the front line, this is a very common occurrence. This makes me very skeptical about everything regarding the stats regarding COVID.
There are more than enough deaths that doing this is unnecessary and only serves to erode public trust.

It is also where rates in nursing homes get fuzzy. Obviously the virus is very damaging to susceptible and fragile populations. But when it is also running rampant in LTC's where a large number of the population unfortunately are near end of life, there are certainly both *with* COVID and *from* COVID deaths.

but... as of a week ago:

Quote:

We are now up to 5,692 death certificates in the COVID count that also list "Intentional and unintentional injury, poisoning and other adverse events"

ciscopack
Trump will develop Herd "Mentality"...yes mentality. Herd immunity would cost between 2.1 Million and 6 million lives in the US alone and then, it may not work. In other words...5 M might die trying it and it may never happen. It's science...chemistry, biology and physics....I'll trust those that have worked in the infectious disease field for most of their lives....with passion to defeat them.

6,800 US death occurred in the Revolutionary war
15,000 Americans died in the war of 1812
116,516 US deaths in WW1
33,686 US deaths in Korean War
4418 Iraqi Freedom
2586 Persian Gulf War
2349 Enduring Freedom

181,355 total US deaths

Covid - 19 in US since March 4, 2020 = 196,000 (6 months, 12 days)

I think that is a rounded number and I doubt it counts Charles Batton from Bunn, NC (68) who died today after fighting it for 3 weeks....my 1st cousin, my dad's sister's son, one of 7 kids. Charles was part comedian naturally but he was mostly a hunter, a policeman, a nurseryman, a preacher, a dad, a husband... RIP Charles!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6059482/

packgrad
Herd immunity would not cost that many lives. Perhaps you should read into the virus a bit more and not just base your opinion on the subject on your hatred of Trump.

Here's an article written by someone who has been very knowledgeable on the subject.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/25/we-could-beat-covid-19-before-a-vaccine-is-ready/amp/
packgrad
COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

http://fox17.com/news/local/covid-19-emails-from-nashville-mayors-office-show-disturbing-revelation
Ncstatefan01
Hey man...how bout a little empathy for a guy who just lost his first cousin? Just sayin...

packgrad said:

Herd immunity would not cost that many lives. Perhaps you should read into the virus a bit more and not just base your opinion on the subject on your hatred of Trump.

Here's an article written by someone who has been very knowledgeable on the subject.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/25/we-could-beat-covid-19-before-a-vaccine-is-ready/amp/
caryking
Wayland said:

caryking said:

There are more than enough deaths that doing this is unnecessary and only serves to erode public trust.

It is also where rates in nursing homes get fuzzy. Obviously the virus is very damaging to susceptible and fragile populations. But when it is also running rampant in LTC's where a large number of the population unfortunately are near end of life, there are certainly both *with* COVID and *from* COVID deaths.

but... as of a week ago:

Quote:

We are now up to 5,692 death certificates in the COVID count that also list "Intentional and unintentional injury, poisoning and other adverse events"

Unfortunately, I have a very dim view of anything being reported as being fact based. It may be true; however, true based on what facts.

I also believe people (obviously, this is a generalization) will skew things when it comes to padding their pocket.
packgrad
Ncstatefan01 said:

Hey man...how bout a little empathy for a guy who just lost his first cousin? Just sayin...

packgrad said:

You're right. I skipped over that part completely. My apologies to Cisco.
Daviewolf83
It appears Nashville, TN is having some issues with the accurate reporting of data for Coronavirus. Apparently, the major's office and their health department did not want the public to know that bars and restaurants were contributing a small number of cases (as determined by contact tracing).

Here's a link to an article and report on the issue in Nashville:

st8ofdenial
Why did you leave off the 405,399 of WW2? Seems awful convenient.
Steve Williams
Staff
Daviewolf83 said:

It appears Nashville, TN is having some issues with the accurate reporting of data for Coronavirus. Apparently, the major's office and their health department did not want the public to know that bars and restaurants were contributing a small number of cases (as determined by contact tracing).

Here's a link to an article and report on the issue in Nashville:

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. And you'll never convince me this is limited to just Nashville. And the masker crowd can't understand why and stays furious at the rest that refuse to play the game.

On June 30th, contact tracing was given a small view of coronavirus clusters. Construction and nursing homes were found to be causing problems with more than a thousand cases traced to each category, but bars and restaurants reported just 22 cases.

Leslie Waller from the health department asks, "This isn't going to be publicly released, right? Just info for Mayor's Office?"

"Correct, not for public consumption," writes senior advisor Benjamin Eagles.

A month later, the health department was asked point blank about the rumor there are only 80 cases traced to bars and restaurants.

Reporter Nate Rau asks, "The figure you gave of 'more than 80' does lead to a natural question: If there have been over 20,000 positive cases of COVID-19 in Davidson and only 80 or so are traced to restaurants and bars, doesn't that mean restaurants and bars aren't a very big problem?"

Health department official Brian Todd asked five health department officials, "Please advise how you recommend I respond. "

statefan91
What does the "masker crowd" mean? Because I've been against keeping everything so locked down but I'm perfectly happy to wear a mask. I'd rather this not turn into us vs. them based on a simple thing like wearing a mask to help reduce transmission.
TheStorm
statefan91 said:

What does the "masker crowd" mean? Because I've been against keeping everything so locked down but I'm perfectly happy to wear a mask. I'd rather this not turn into us vs. them based on a simple thing like wearing a mask to help reduce transmission.
Sounds like that is exactly what you are trying to do though surprisingly enough... you know exactly what the "masker" comment meant... if you want to argue about it, then argue about it - and if you don't, then don't.

You can wear a damn mask for the rest of your life for all I care... should help protect you from colds, flu and all other airborne ailments...
statefan91
It seems weird that wearing a mask to protect yourself and others around you is a partisan issue if that's what you're saying? It seems pretty consistent that the simple ask of wearing a mask is reducing transmission even as things open back up more broadly. I'm fully supportive of opening things back up and think we'd be in even better shape if they had a North Carolina mask mandate when we moved into Phase II back in like May.

If you're saying masks don't help reduce transmission I'm happy to come sneeze on you with a mask on vs. without a mask on if you'd like to experiment?
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.