Stadium

33,338 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BP Cox
89_Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

We're in year two post Yow, if she was the thing keeping it from happening, why didn't they start as soon as she left, if the money was there? That part doesn't really make sense to me. I get that she and Avent might not have been best pals, but if all the money is out there, what's stopping it now?
This more than anything else conclusively proves the old story blaming Yow for no stadium improvements is a total urban legend. We have to look no further than ourselves. I'd bet lunch that at least half of the chuckleheads piling on this thread have never donated more than $100 to the Wolfpack Club in any year.

And I've said it before, but it bears repeating--most of remaining developable areas on Centennial Campus are either spoken for, or lie in the flood plain or buffer areas of blue line streams, and thus would present signficant environmental permitting issues. Of course, you have some of the same issues with Doak, considering Rocky Branch is just beyond the right field wall, but the grandfathering of existing impervious surfaces means there is more to work with at the current stadium. I think most people would be perfectly happy with a covered mezzanine area up one level from current concourse, and with some kind of shade over parts of the stand (although for most of the season, too cold is more of a problem than too hot...)
BobbyCox95
89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

We're in year two post Yow, if she was the thing keeping it from happening, why didn't they start as soon as she left, if the money was there? That part doesn't really make sense to me. I get that she and Avent might not have been best pals, but if all the money is out there, what's stopping it now?
This more than anything else conclusively proves the old story blaming Yow for no stadium improvements is a total urban legend. We have to look no further than ourselves. I'd bet lunch that at least half of the chuckleheads piling on this thread have never donated more than $100 to the Wolfpack Club in any year.

And I've said it before, but it bears repeating--most of remaining developable areas on Centennial Campus are either spoken for, or lie in the flood plain or buffer areas of blue line streams, and thus would present signficant environmental permitting issues. Of course, you have some of the same issues with Doak, considering Rocky Branch is just beyond the right field wall, but the grandfathering of existing impervious surfaces means there is more to work with at the current stadium. I think most people would be perfectly happy with a covered mezzanine area up one level from current concourse, and with some kind of shade over parts of the stand (although for most of the season, too cold is more of a problem than too hot...)
But for most of us who do contribute.....would you throw 500 or 1000 or 10000 towards the "General Fund" if your desire is to see a new or improved baseball stadium, not knowing if it will even contribute to that?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a plan and a rendering and say we need 20 million (or whatever the price tag) to get there and we are x % of the way there so far? If we are just gonna sit back and wait for Goodnight, Trump or A-Rod to pay for our new or upgraded stadium it will never get done.
metcalfmafia
Were there really rumors that A Rod wanted to contribute?
Oldsouljer
Bas2020 said:

Why dont we have a clear vision with football and baseball stadium enhancements?

Go get some plans and a rendering made and donations will go thru the roof.

There is a TON of cash floating around in the economy right now. Strike while the iron is hot.
Yes. My guess is that we're about to get slammed with another 2009 except on steroids, so anything you want, you lock it in now.
aqasaw234
I hate to be that guy, but is the demand REALLY there for stadium expansion? I don't know, I'm asking. It's a tremendous atmosphere in May when Pack9 is making a run, but what is the crowd size on a weekend in March?

I get why Arkansas has the facility they do, there's nothing else in that state besides the Razorbacks. Same applies for the Mississippi schools.

I have a hard time imagining Boo is gonna dump significant resources into stadium expansion unless there's demand outside of a couple weekends in NCAA postseason play.
wilmwolf
Personally, I don't think there needs to be much expansion. Maybe some seating out in left field. Maybe a covered area added. The thing that needs work is the facilities, the infrastructure, locker rooms, etc.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfQuacker
wilmwolf80 said:

Personally, I don't think there needs to be much expansion. Maybe some seating out in left field. Maybe a covered area added. The thing that needs work is the facilities, the infrastructure, locker rooms, etc.
There has to be a WOW factor for recruiting. Not to mention, next year, as a national seed, we are going to look like crap on National TV ;-)
wolfpack1437
metcalfmafia said:

Were there really rumors that A Rod wanted to contribute?
Yes
TraCha4
I don't think expansion is the right word. I think the vast majority of us mean facility improvements/upgrades. Seating capacity isn't the issue.
Colonel Armstrong
We need an outfield party deck for students. Sitting on that hill sucks
BobbyCox95
aqasaw234 said:

I hate to be that guy, but is the demand REALLY there for stadium expansion? I don't know, I'm asking. It's a tremendous atmosphere in May when Pack9 is making a run, but what is the crowd size on a weekend in March?

I get why Arkansas has the facility they do, there's nothing else in that state besides the Razorbacks. Same applies for the Mississippi schools.

I have a hard time imagining Boo is gonna dump significant resources into stadium expansion unless there's demand outside of a couple weekends in NCAA postseason play.

Would love to see another 1k seats for the "big games" but improvements are a bigger issue than expansion. The lee Fowler crew took the cheap route in 2004 and it shows big time now. Not blaming him entirely because we were pouring all our money into C-F at the time. There was only so much money to go around.
metcalfmafia
King Leary said:

We need an outfield party deck for students. Sitting on that hill sucks
It's a must.
Riddickulous
Complete overhaul of the locker rooms, add a players lounge, add an overhang, improve press box and maybe add 3-4 suites, make the area down the right field line look like something better than a shed, move both bullpens beyond the outfield wall, and take advantage of that space to put a party deck on one side and another 1,000 seats on the other.

Ohand make every game $1 beer night if you REALLY want to improve the atmosphere.
aqasaw234
gotcha, thanks for that clarification. so what exactly is the infrastructure problem? are the locker rooms, batting cages/bullpen, operations offices, press box too small or too outdated ? what do you get at uva, unc, ga tech, clemson, fsu that you won't find on our campus ?
wilmwolf
Outside of the fan facing side of things, concessions, restrooms and what not, the other things are just things I've heard or seen written here. But our locker rooms, training areas, analytics equipment and all that kind of stuff seems to lag pretty far behind other clubs. Would have to go back and find some of the old threads on it
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

Outside of the fan facing side of things, concessions, restrooms and what not, the other things are just things I've heard or seen written here. But our locker rooms, training areas, analytics equipment and all that kind of stuff seems to lag pretty far behind other clubs. Would have to go back and find some of the old threads on it

does this help?
https://insidepacksports.com/forums/3/topics/5475
wilmwolf
Yup, that's it.
Lagniappe
Wasn't there a plan years ago to put baseball it at Carter Finley? I believe if I remember correctly it was going to put where the superfund site was.
wolfpack1437
For all the flack some of our fans give Boo, he would become a legend if he uses this momentum and gets it done
metcalfmafia
Lagniappe said:

Wasn't there a plan years ago to put baseball it at Carter Finley? I believe if I remember correct.y it was going to put where the superfund site was.
The rumors were that Avent wanted it over there.
89_Grad
BobbyCox95 said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

But for most of us who do contribute.....would you throw 500 or 1000 or 10000 towards the "General Fund" if your desire is to see a new or improved baseball stadium, not knowing if it will even contribute to that?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a plan and a rendering and say we need 20 million (or whatever the price tag) to get there and we are x % of the way there so far? If we are just gonna sit back and wait for Goodnight, Trump or A-Rod to pay for our new or upgraded stadium it will never get done.
those things are necessary, but not sufficient. I remember seeing "renderings" of PNC around 1989 while Valvano was the coach still, and it took 10 years and a bailout by the State and Wake County to get the thing built, because our fan base couldn't or wouldn't put up the money. We are biggest cheapskates as a fanbase in the P5.
Oldsouljer
aqasaw234 said:

gotcha, thanks for that clarification. so what exactly is the infrastructure problem? are the locker rooms, batting cages/bullpen, operations offices, press box too small or too outdated ? what do you get at uva, unc, ga tech, clemson, fsu that you won't find on our campus ?
I'm sure I don't know the answer to that. But I do think that State baseball has achieved a loftier post season destination than the equivalent our football team has achieved any time recently. For that reason, I'd sure like to think the Pack9 facilities are as good as the equivalent in other sports. They deserve it.
78wilsonpack
Oldsouljer said:

78wilsonpack said:

metcalfmafia said:

Wolfpacklife said:

Scotty is with us!

Scotty got any scratch laying around? LOL
Russell, and Phil do. I've always wondered (put aside politics) why someone doesn't hit up ol Lara Trump - like her father in law or hate him, the family has money and she is a graduate.
You're talking about money, and there's a difference between your family and the family you married into.
The family I come from the woman (women) control the "you know what", so they control the money. Get my drift?
packfan1221
If you build it, championships will come. Might just be me hearing things. But it's most certainly made impacts to men's and women's soccer, women's basketball, and football. You can't tell me it hasn't. Scared money doesn't make money. And yes I donate too.
jwpack
Why can't we get a corporation to donate 20 million and put their name on the new facility. We need to think outside the box. Other teams have done this with great success.
Lagniappe
jwpack said:

Why can't we get a corporation to donate 20 million and put their name on the new facility. We need to think outside the box. Other teams have done this with great success.
There are many corporations out there with NC State ties. I don't know how we get them to make the gift. Maybe "Apple Stadium"?
BobbyCox95
89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

those things are necessary, but not sufficient. I remember seeing "renderings" of PNC around 1989 while Valvano was the coach still, and it took 10 years and a bailout by the State and Wake County to get the thing built, because our fan base couldn't or wouldn't put up the money. We are biggest cheapskates as a fanbase in the P5.

Pre PNC (Raleigh ESA) opening in '99 I would agree with you but it is mind boggling to see how much we've put into facilities in the past 20-23 years. I don't know the correct dollar amount but I would imagine it's close to $250 million into our facilities since then. Maybe more. And all baseball has received is 6 million. IMO our third most important sport.

How we went from the mid 60's until then without any major upgrades is a discussion we can save for another day tho......
Skylitdrive
Lagniappe said:

jwpack said:

There are many corporations out there with NC State ties. I don't know how we get them to make the gift. Maybe "Apple Stadium"?

With all the cash Hendu has I am thinking something like "Inside Pack Sports Baseball Stadium "
Oldsouljer
78wilsonpack said:

Oldsouljer said:

78wilsonpack said:

metcalfmafia said:

Wolfpacklife said:

Scotty is with us!

Scotty got any scratch laying around? LOL
Russell, and Phil do. I've always wondered (put aside politics) why someone doesn't hit up ol Lara Trump - like her father in law or hate him, the family has money and she is a graduate.
You're talking about money, and there's a difference between your family and the family you married into.
The family I come from the woman (women) control the "you know what", so they control the money. Get my drift?
Yup
Tootie4Pack
Lagniappe said:

jwpack said:

While Apple may make a gift to NC State, it will most likely be an academic gift. With Duke and UNC and NCCU and the HBCUs here in Wake County, they are not going to put all of their money in a stadium for a single university or college. Maybe a regional basketball or baseball or soccer stadium, but not to help only one of the locals over the others.

Not a good marketing move. Everyone is touched by Apple products. MJ: " even Republicans buy tennis shoes ."
Gravis

This thread is typical NC State always advocating someone else to contribute for improvements.Well no one is going to do it for us, we have to do it ourselves.

I bet there are more than double the alums/fans paying $10/month to read and post on this and other message boards than those that give at least that $10/month to the WPC. Look in the mirror people.
JCooke93
Please
JCooke93
Amen to that
JCooke93
And some people have been turned away that wanted to give money just to baseball and that's it not very good handling it but that's just what I have been told
Lagniappe
I think a lot of people on here (IPS) would be interested in giving for a specific baseball stadium improvement or replacement drive. What's next?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.