Stadium

33,359 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BP Cox
wolfpack1437
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gopack1979 said:

I had these plans several years ago and was asked not to share them with the masses, there's a few posters on here who I'd shown when I saw them 1:1. This was posted by a friend of mine and former player on Facebook so I assume we're good to share now. The new plans should be comparable to these but I've been told there would be more fan amenities. I posted a topic outline a few years ago details about this plan but couldn't post pics. You'd enter down the right field line and we'd have a deck. Seating would be ~3kish not a huge increase. Get your check books ready as you can see here Doak can be a pretty amazing place with the right plan. This was a 4 phased approach, focusing on practice and player upgrades first. I would think that would be where we'd start with the new plans too. These boys and our coaches deserve new facilities let's make it happen when the new plans come out soon!!

Where are the bullpen in this rendering? Also, is that a terraced grass seating area at the end of the 1st base seating?
Colonel Armstrong
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful concept and would be a great improvement
gopack1979
Bullpens on this one were in the outfield. Remember these are renderings and the new plans will be different. Point should be Doak can be beautiful right where it is, we don't need to have a "new" stadium.
Pack87
A little concerned about the comment we should see some changes for next year. I hope they don't throw up a canopy with a red tin roof and say here you go. Don't make it harder to do it right by just putting lipstick on it. If the stands need to come out and be reworked/retiered then do it don't halfway it just to have something by February. Cut a deal with the Holly Springs team to play there a year or two.
Bas2020
Dont rush it just to appease the masses right now. DO it once and Do it right.

Construction prices will come down.

Trying to park a bobcat out at the stadium tomorrow to push a pill of dirt around to pretend your doing something is not what we need, nor do we need lipstick on a pig... which is what i feel the football "food truck" area will end up being.

Id be A OK with getting all of your ducks n a row and starting the project next May, 2022 . Do it RIGHT.

The problem is that we should have had plans and renderings for baseball and football made YEARS ago... or atleast have them continuously updated and ready to go.

When the football plans were released 15-20 years ago I remember the excitement from Everybody. Wish we could do the same and you'd get more people on board once you have a vision and goal.
Northernpack11
A few years ago I came across some renderings on an architects firm website. Can't remember the name now but looked similar except they were overhead pictures. Do you know the firm that did those designs? Edit Found them.
https://www.cloutstudio.com/our-work/2017/9/20/ncsu-baseball-stadium
gopack1979
These are very similar, I've never seen these but almost identical to what I had. We're not going to throw something up this summer, you can all settle down. And as you can see we have had plans on multiple occasions generated. We don't need to get into the why these were not acted upon. Just know the new plans are done and we will be moving forward on updates to Doak and CF very soon. Get your $ ready to donate.
Pakbackr
I could get behind either of these designs!
bgr3
I just wonder if the highest and best use of the land on which Doak currently sits is to remain the stadium. I don't really care emotionally one way or another but with Lee and the buildings over there being so old I wonder if it wouldnt be better to build the stadium we want somewhere else and use the land currently occupied by Doak and the old dorms (plus whatever that field is called) for new dorms/student living/dining/etc.

Bas2020
Northernpack11 said:

A few years ago I came across some renderings on an architects firm website. Can't remember the name now but looked similar except they were overhead pictures. Do you know the firm that did those designs? Edit Found them.
https://www.cloutstudio.com/our-work/2017/9/20/ncsu-baseball-stadium

Now that looks NICE!
Lagniappe
gopack1979 said:

I had these plans several years ago and was asked not to share them with the masses, there's a few posters on here who I'd shown when I saw them 1:1. This was posted by a friend of mine and former player on Facebook so I assume we're good to share now. The new plans should be comparable to these but I've been told there would be more fan amenities. I posted a topic outline a few years ago details about this plan but couldn't post pics. You'd enter down the right field line and we'd have a deck. Seating would be ~3kish not a huge increase. Get your check books ready as you can see here Doak can be a pretty amazing place with the right plan. This was a 4 phased approach, focusing on practice and player upgrades first. I would think that would be where we'd start with the new plans too. These boys and our coaches deserve new facilities let's make it happen when the new plans come out soon!!

Would this stadium allow us to host regionals?
wilmwolf
The stadium as it exists now allows us to host.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
gopack1979
We can and do host regionals at Doak as it is today, but if the question is about bringing in temporary bleachers then yes this one would not require that step. That will be taken into consideration.
BobbyCox95
Come on Boo, present this or something similar and give us a price tag. We will start donating (as much as we can).
packwest
State should hire someone from a minor league baseball publicity/promotion department and try and market the team like Raleigh's minor league club.

We have a million folks in the area and a gap in the minor league market. Someone could approach it a little differently and bring in folks to watch that are just looking for baseball a little closer to home.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
SportManagementEngineer
bsorry11 said:

State should hire someone from a minor league baseball publicity/promotion department and try and market the team like Raleigh's minor league club.

We have a million folks in the area and a gap in the minor league market. Someone could approach it a little differently and bring in folks to watch that are just looking for baseball a little closer to home.
This is a great idea. Its always been odd to me that the only group incentivized to attend non-revenue sporting events are the students, and they get in free.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Colonel Armstrong
bsorry11 said:

Agree with this. I always thought a stadium in downtown would be a great idea. A replica of the Charlotte Knights stadium
SportManagementEngineer
King Leary said:

bsorry11 said:

Agree with this. I always thought a stadium in downtown would be a great idea. A replica of the Charlotte Knights stadium
As cool as it looks, I don't think the inconvenience of having to go downtown is worth it.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
packwest
King Leary said:

bsorry11 said:

My understanding (whether true or not) is that minor league politics prevent a team for coming to Raleigh. Contraction makes it less likely, I suppose.

MLB can't tell us not to fill that gap with a college team.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
gopack1979
I think research indicated we would still average the about the same attendance even with a bigger stadium. With college baseball starting in early to mid Feb now the weather is the issue. Half the season it's cold. I think we'll land somewhere around 3,500 seats when it's all said and done.
gopack1979
bsorry11 said:

King Leary said:

bsorry11 said:

My understanding (whether true or not) is that minor league politics prevent a team for coming to Raleigh. Contraction makes it less likely, I suppose.

MLB can't tell us not to fill that gap with a college team.
Durham Bulls have a signed in blood radius of ~30 miles(I think) that prevents another team from building. That's why the Mudcats are where they are.
DrummerboyWolf
gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

Durham Bulls have a signed in blood radius of ~30 miles(I think) that prevents another team from building. That's why the Mudcats are where they are.
I believe it's 35 miles. The former owner of the Bulls would not allow anything inside that. I think his name was /is Miles Wolfe, but don't quote me on that.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

I believe it's 35 miles. The former owner of the Bulls would not allow anything inside that. I think his name was /is Miles Wolfe, but don't quote me on that.
What authority does Mr. Wolfe have to call those shots?
DrummerboyWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

It was a rule in minor league baseball at the time. James would love it. The Bulls were the only game in town and he wanted to keep it that way so he exercised his right to keep teams 35 miles away. That is why the Mudcats are in the middle of nowhere and play in Five County Stadium because it's 35 miles away from the old Durham Athletic Park.

Here is a story. And my mistake it's Mile Wolff with no e on the end.

https://indyweek.com/culture/sports/ever-shadow-durham-bulls-carolina-mudcats-the-triangle-s-minor-league-team-want-get-attention/
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

It was a rule in minor league baseball at the time. James would love it. The Bulls were the only game in town and he wanted to keep it that way so he exercised his right to keep teams 35 miles away. That is why the Mudcats are in the middle of nowhere and play in Five County Stadium because it's 35 miles away from the old Durham Athletic Park.

https://indyweek.com/culture/sports/ever-shadow-durham-bulls-carolina-mudcats-the-triangle-s-minor-league-team-want-get-attention/
Is it still a rule?
DrummerboyWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

Is it still a rule?
I imagine it is. You can check that out on your own.
JCooke93
And they where on Yow desk
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

gopack1979 said:

bsorry11 said:

Is it still a rule?

Well you seemed to be the know it all on the subject. Figured I'd ask. That's doesn't really matter anyway.

I was wondering in the beginning of this topic if the structure already there was engineered to support more stands above. Judging by the renderings, I guess it does. I always thought we should close down Varsity Dr and make a small plaza between Doak and the Tennis facility (brick I would imagine). That also may make more room to extend the structure to the west some to accommodate an upper level. Designed a lot like the DBAP is now with the lower level there being what Doak is now.
89_Grad
JCooke93 said:

And they where on Yow desk
I imagine any AD worth her salt always has a set of plans for all sorts of stuff on her desk for when major donors come calling.

But if I have a choice between funding Reynolds Coliseum upgrade, which accomodates four sports (WBB, WVBm Wres., and Rifle) AND which I'm getting money from academic side for part of costs, and Doak which (apparently) has NO major donor support in the $10 -$15 million leadership gift range and which would accomodate only one sport and which has NO academic side support, then that's an easy decision to make.

And until Gravis or someone like that apprises me otherwise, these apocryphal stories about large baseball donors being turned down by mean ole' Debbie Yow don't amount to a hill of beans until I see the press release from Boo about the 8-figure Doak Stadium overhaul naming gift.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
89_Grad
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Is it still a rule?

Well you seemed to be the know it all on the subject. Figured I'd ask. That's doesn't really matter anyway.

I was wondering in the beginning of this topic if the structure already there was engineered to support more stands above. Judging by the renderings, I guess it does. I always thought we should close down Varsity Dr and make a small plaza between Doak and the Tennis facility (brick I would imagine). That also may make more room to extend the structure to the west some to accommodate an upper level. Designed a lot like the DBAP is now with the lower level there being what Doak is now.
The minor league exclusive territory rule shouldn't be incomprehensible or nonsensical to anyone who has experience with a sales territory or franchise of any kind. You get exclusive rights to an area in order to protect your investment. It would have been a disaster to take a franchise with the history and intimate links to Durham's tobacco past and trade that for some generic "Raleigh-Durham" baseball team playing out in Brier Creek or RTP somewhere, which is why none of those proposals ever got off the drawing board. A team that belongs to every community in the Triangle belongs to noone.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
BobbyCox95
89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Is it still a rule?

The minor league exclusive territory rule shouldn't be incomprehensible or nonsensical to anyone who has experience with a sales territory or franchise of any kind. You get exclusive rights to an area in order to protect your investment. It would have been a disaster to take a franchise with the history and intimate links to Durham's tobacco past and trade that for some generic "Raleigh-Durham" baseball team playing out in Brier Creek or RTP somewhere, which is why none of those proposals ever got off the drawing board. A team that belongs to every community in the Triangle belongs to noone.
Yea I get that but the way I read it originally was that the guy would owned the Bulls made that rule. My question was, how does he have that authority. I think I understand it correctly now that that was actually a MiLB rule that the Bulls owner decided to exercise. As in.....he could have waved it to allow a team in downtown Raleigh but chose not to. If I am wrong in any of that, please correct me.
DrummerboyWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Is it still a rule?

Yea I get that but the way I read it originally was that the guy would owned the Bulls made that rule. My question was, how does he have that authority. I think I understand it correctly now that that was actually a MiLB rule that the Bulls owner decided to exercise. As in.....he could have waved it to allow a team in downtown Raleigh but chose not to. If I am wrong in any of that, please correct me.
I told you it was a rule in minor league baseball at the time.
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Is it still a rule?

I told you it was a rule in minor league baseball at the time.
You posted that after I asked what authority did Wolff have. Did you not read the part where I said "I understand it correctly now?"
DrummerboyWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

You posted that after I asked what authority did Wolff have. Did you not read the part where I said "I understand it correctly now?"
If you go back and look, I said it was a rule and you asked was it still a rule. Then after that you said you understood it. I am not going to derail the thread anymore.
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

If you go back and look, I said it was a rule and you asked was it still a rule. Then after that you said you understood it. I am not going to derail the thread anymore.
Great idea. I dont even know what we are debating anymore.

Back to the Doak.....did DY have a primary donor or a plan in place for the funds for the Basketball dorm? Since that was scrapped, maybe we could lean on those funds to get us started. We only put 6 mill into our last Doak renovation and it shows. I would rather wait till we have the proper funds to make this thing really nice then to half-ass it and be right back in this position 10 years from now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.