Stadium

33,340 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BP Cox
89_Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gravis said:

"Familiar with the area (lived right there actually ) so I understand the limited space, which is unfortunate."

A new deck makes sense on many levels. It could be used as a comuter lot for students during peak week day hours and for games in the late afternoon, evenings, and weekends.

Also, we could make the case to share the cost with the University as a multi use deck.
The end of the "Sullivan lot" closest to Sullivan would be the perfect topography for a two level deck, because the slope on Thurman Drive already falls away as you drive away from Stadium. Then that would free up the upper end of that lot to be taken for stadium expansion. It is unfortunate that they did the upgraded tennis stuff so close to the west side of Doak. Wonder if they could move the exit from the lots to Sullivan drive to the other side of the tennis complex between it and the motor fleet complex?

ETA: there is a huge stormwater retention pond just west of Isenhour which would be hard to move. The motor pool complex has a electical substation in the middle of it that would make rerouting Thurman Drive problematic, but it could be done with enough $$
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
metcalfmafia
curmudgeon.zen said:

I'd rather build a new stadium than a new parking deck.
Hard for me to support parking deck tailgating when I've made fun of UNC fans all these years for it. LOL
Wolfpack
Sounds like Centennial is out of the question
Lagniappe
89_Grad said:

Gravis said:

"Familiar with the area (lived right there actually ) so I understand the limited space, which is unfortunate."

A new deck makes sense on many levels. It could be used as a comuter lot for students during peak week day hours and for games in the late afternoon, evenings, and weekends.

Also, we could make the case to share the cost with the University as a multi use deck.
The end of the "Sullivan lot" closest to Sullivan would be the perfect topography for a two level deck, because the slope on Thurman Drive already falls away as you drive away from Stadium. Then that would free up the upper end of that lot to be taken for stadium expansion. It is unfortunate that they did the upgraded tennis stuff so close to the west side of Doak. Wonder if they could move the exit from the lots to Sullivan drive to the other side of the tennis complex between it and the motor fleet complex?

ETA: there is a huge stormwater retention pond just west of Isenhour which would be hard to move. The motor pool complex has a electical substation in the middle of it that would make rerouting Thurman Drive problematic, but it could be done with enough $$
Unless something has changed, I believe the university still needs parking. So maybe the state would pay for a new garage.
89_Grad
Lagniappe said:

89_Grad said:

Gravis said:

Unless something has changed, I believe the university still needs parking. So maybe the state would pay for a new garage.
I don't think parking is a current facilities need. In fact, there is now a plan to demolish half of the Reynolds Coliseum Deck, presumably because it is no longer needed.
FinsUp
DecaturWolf said:

ecbwolf said:

Build these boys the facilities they deserve!
Yes, and build the aquatics center our best athletic program deserves.
No COVID - new outdoor aquatics center and new baseball stadium elsewhere or Doak Reno/rebuild would have already been announced.
Francis
FinsUp said:

DecaturWolf said:

ecbwolf said:

Build these boys the facilities they deserve!
Yes, and build the aquatics center our best athletic program deserves.
No COVID - new outdoor aquatics center and new baseball stadium elsewhere or Doak Reno/rebuild would have already been announced.

WTH?
Bell Tower Grey
cowboypack02 said:

Gravis said:

Stadium improvement plans for Doak will be released sooner rather than later. Think weeks, not months.

Get your checkbooks ready & put your $$$ where your mouth is.
If Avent wins the CWS I expect the money I donate to go to having a statue of him commissioned in front of the new stadium
Make sure you get them to use a different foundry / sculptor than has been used in the past, else it likely winds up looking like Jim Backus.
843wolfpacker
cowboypack02 said:

Gravis said:

Stadium improvement plans for Doak will be released sooner rather than later. Think weeks, not months.

If Avent wins the CWS I expect the money I donate to go to having a statue of him commissioned in front of the new stadium
Make it the umpire spin move
wilmwolf
I will pay for the whole statue if it's the umpire spin move.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
johntom
metcalfmafia said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

I'd rather build a new stadium than a new parking deck.
Hard for me to support parking deck tailgating when I've made fun of UNC fans all these years for it. LOL
How many people are tailgating for a baseball game? Most people going to games now park in the deck around the corner anyway. The Sullivan lot parking is for students.
Wolfer79
843wolfpacker said:

cowboypack02 said:

Gravis said:

Make it the umpire spin move

statue on a lazy Susan?
BP Cox
Staff
Gravis and 89 hinted on an important point I believe we have not taken advantage of. The university needs to tie in more general student use functions with some of the athletic facilities and projects.

We saw this at Notre Dame at their football stadium. Just off the back side of the end zone section we were sitting in was the O'Neill Hall of Music. Incorporate some classrooms in a new facility where sports therapy can be taught and incorporate more funding from the academic side.

Same with the expansion that is needed at the Murphy Center.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
sportsrevolutionboyd
I've seen a few mentions about La. Tech's stadium and so I did some Google-fu. The tornadoes that went through Louisiana back in April 2019 appears to be the reason that their stadium got the renovations that they had wanted or felt were needed following the devestation.

https://latechsports.com/facilities/j-c-love-field-at-pat-patterson-park/1

Quote:

J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park was rounding out its 48th year of service when tragedy struck Ruston on April 25, 2019. An EF-3 tornado ripped through the city, destroying several Louisiana Tech Athletic facilities, including "The Love Shack."

On Nov. 21 of that year, University officials presented a ray of sunlight in releasing the renderings and plans for the complete rebuild of the baseball facility.

As part of the press conference, it was announced that J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park would remain in the same iconic location on the corner of Tech Drive and Alabama Avenue where it stood for almost 50 years.

sportsrevolutionboyd
Not to mention the talk now of demolition of Sullivan and other residence halls in that area could give rise to better parking options, et al for that area of campus.
GreeneGoblin
NCAA owes us a new stadium
MayorStoner
GreeneGoblin said:

NCAA owes us a new stadium
well let's go sue em and get one.
TraCha4
Good can come out of bad. I do believe this unfortunate situation can and has brought more support to the baseball program. Hopefully we can carry that momentum over to financial support for stadium improvements.
D33z
EXACTLY! All these new and improved baseball facilities have had millions donated and millions more pledged from their fan bases and alumni , simply hasn't happened in Raleigh

Gravis said:

This thread is typical NC State always advocating someone else to contribute for improvements.Well no one is going to do it for us, we have to do it ourselves.

I bet there are more than double the alums/fans paying $10/month to read and post on this and other message boards than those that give at least that $10/month to the WPC. Look in the mirror people.
"PACK POWER"
Cornpack
The thing I'm worried about is with everyone upset that Boo isn't going to bat more for us here, people might not be as willing to cut a check for the new stadium/Doak upgrades when he sends us the email.
Retired internet funny guy
Wolfpacklife
Cornpack said:

The thing I'm worried about is with everyone upset that Boo isn't going to bat more for us here, people might not be as willing to cut a check for the new stadium/Doak upgrades when he sends us the email.

I am worried for that too. I for one will choose to support our players and staff. They all deserve this and then some
caryking
All you guys complaining about people wanting more funding for facilities... just consider, for a moment, those people are giving what they can and would like for people, with more means, to help the cause.

I'll bet, each and everyone here, gives what they can and/or want, and somebody else gives more than you!

Give it a break...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
DecaturWolf
ESPN now talking about our crappy facilities.
kmb717
DecaturWolf said:

What are they saying? I refuse to watch another game
metcalfmafia
DecaturWolf said:

What did they say? Just curious
metcalfmafia

Dave Doeren liked this tweet LOL. Whoopsie.
packwest
metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
89_Grad
bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably
More like, "write the check, former players". Yes, we are looking at you Carlos and Trea...
Oldsouljer
89_Grad said:

bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably
More like, "write the check, former players". Yes, we are looking at you Carlos and Trea...
Do baseball players get full ride schollies?
Gravis
89_Grad said:

bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably

Again, let's do it ourselves don't depend on others.

We have the largest alumni base of any school in NC, no excuses.

The strength of the Wolf is in the Pack..think about it.
Bas2020
Gravis said:

89_Grad said:

bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably

Once a plan and a rendering is offered up I'll think you'll see donations flow ... including naming rights for certain areas but until then you won't see much .

Most people want to know what they are donating for . I just hope it's not lip stick on a pig .
packwest
Gravis said:

89_Grad said:

bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably

I don't disagree. We should capitalize on the great run and all this attention.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
gopack1979
You should see the plans soon. Quit hoping for centennial campus it's not happening. Renovations to Doak and practice facilities that's what we'll get unless one of you wants to step up with a phat check and then you can dictate what you want.
pman27
89_Grad said:

bsorry11 said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Write the check, Dave."

-- Wolfer79, probably
Russel too!
cowboypack02
How big of a check would that need to be...just out of curiosity

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.