Stadium

33,241 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BP Cox
89_Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

You posted that after I asked what authority did Wolff have. Did you not read the part where I said "I understand it correctly now?"
If you go back and look, I said it was a rule and you asked was it still a rule. Then after that you said you understood it. I am not going to derail the thread anymore.
Great idea. I dont even know what we are debating anymore.

Back to the Doak.....did DY have a primary donor or a plan in place for the funds for the Basketball dorm? Since that was scrapped, maybe we could lean on those funds to get us started. We only put 6 mill into our last Doak renovation and it shows. I would rather wait till we have the proper funds to make this thing really nice then to half-ass it and be right back in this position 10 years from now.
Fact that Debbie's been retired, what, over two years now, and still no announcement of some huge donation for baseball stadium shows that all those rumors were bull***** I bet this all grew out of somebody wanting to give some paltry amount like $10 K conditioned on doing some baseball project that Athletics would have to pay the rest of, and Debbie said "no" as she should have...
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
aqasaw234
BobbyCox95 said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Is it still a rule?
I imagine it is. You can check that out on your own.

Well you seemed to be the know it all on the subject. Figured I'd ask. That's doesn't really matter anyway.

I was wondering in the beginning of this topic if the structure already there was engineered to support more stands above. Judging by the renderings, I guess it does. I always thought we should close down Varsity Dr and make a small plaza between Doak and the Tennis facility (brick I would imagine). That also may make more room to extend the structure to the west some to accommodate an upper level. Designed a lot like the DBAP is now with the lower level there being what Doak is now.
The minor league exclusive territory rule shouldn't be incomprehensible or nonsensical to anyone who has experience with a sales territory or franchise of any kind. You get exclusive rights to an area in order to protect your investment. It would have been a disaster to take a franchise with the history and intimate links to Durham's tobacco past and trade that for some generic "Raleigh-Durham" baseball team playing out in Brier Creek or RTP somewhere, which is why none of those proposals ever got off the drawing board. A team that belongs to every community in the Triangle belongs to noone.
Yea I get that but the way I read it originally was that the guy would owned the Bulls made that rule. My question was, how does he have that authority. I think I understand it correctly now that that was actually a MiLB rule that the Bulls owner decided to exercise. As in.....he could have waved it to allow a team in downtown Raleigh but chose not to. If I am wrong in any of that, please correct me.

"But the Durham Bulls, a mighty force in the wake of Bull Durham's release, put the kibosh on those plans."

That's your answer. The Durham Bulls are, by far, the most famous minor league team in the country (because of the movies). Their brand is their influence. Essentially, what's good for the Durham Bulls is good for MiLB. That's the owners "authority".
gvmlpack
bgr3 said:

...but with Lee and the buildings over there being so old...

I thought I read somewhere (pre-covid?) that Lee and Sullivan were slated to come down in the near future. Could we be waiting for that to happen before we move forward with renovations?
aqasaw234
fingers crossed. those two dorms can't come down fast enough. what a dump.
bgr3
gvmlpack said:

bgr3 said:

I thought I read somewhere (pre-covid?) that Lee and Sullivan were slated to come down in the near future. Could we be waiting for that to happen before we move forward with renovations?
If they aren't they ought to be.
metcalfmafia
Does anyone know if we sell out of baseball season tickets every year?
Riddickulous
bgr3 said:

gvmlpack said:

bgr3 said:

If they aren't they ought to be.

Bring them down and use non-athletic funds to build a student "gathering area" that just so happens to sit just beyond the left field wall.
johntom
gvmlpack said:

bgr3 said:

Lee and Sullivan being demolished and a super dorm going in their place has been in the master plan for many years now. I have doubts about it happening any time soon if ever.
johntom
3-3.5K is about right for most of our games. I'd like to see some type of expandability option for big weekend series and NCAA tournament games though. Ok St just opened a stadium that has a 3.5K capacity and can be expanded to 8K. I'm not sure we can afford or need anything as nice as their new stadium, but I like the idea of being able to add seats for bigger games.
sportsrevolutionboyd
RE: Sullivan and Lee being slated to come down...
I did some searching last week about the master plan for campus and found this NCSU HOUSING FINAL REPORT - Jan. 2020. My father is a baseball season ticket holder and has been telling me about this even before the final report was released.

"...Lee and Sullivan Halls are at the end of their useful life and Bragaw hall faces significant architectural, site and accessibility issues. Lee, Sullivan and Bragaw are each recommended for demolition. The increase in demand, which includes the replacement of beds from the demolition of Lee, Sullivan, and Bragaw bring the total of new beds to be developed over the next ten years to 3,300"
78wilsonpack
Not sure how closely you looked at that Master Plan, but what I see is Women's Softball losing their current location and being placed right outside of the left field fence at Doak. It looks close enough that I would call it adjacent to the left field fence. Another page has dorms against left field.

I'm sure those are just a proposal but take a close look if you get a chance. You have to scroll thru the presentation to see it in a couple of spots.

Maybe it's been mentioned before.
Packsd14me
Talked to a club rep this morning about football tix and during the conversation, we touched on baseball. He offered up new stadium upgrade ideas that were being talked about without me asking. Expanding players amenities such as video room for watching batting and pitching performances during BP for improvement purposes was one he mentioned as a top priority. Covering a portion of the seats with an overhang and adding possible preferred seating area underneath it plus a possible press box upgrade was also something he said we sorely needed. He also added seating improvements and additions down both lines, maybe moving the bullpens for either amenities or more seating and possibly a rowdy, student bleacher area in especially left field but also right filed could be explored. He said nothing was concrete yet but there was a lot of momentum and he expected plans to be finalized soon. I asked about what I call "Lee Beach" being used to expand amenities but he seemed to think that it would not need to be used much....maybe the bullpen areas in right center and left center fields or bleachers in left but that's all. He seemed to think that the overhang addition to use more of the parking spaces at Sullivan. The last thing he mentioned was improving game day experience for the fans. Concessions, bathrooms, maybe activities and most of all improved sight lines for "better" seating of both new and existing seats.He didn't really expand on that and I didn't ask, just kept listening. He didn't think the capacity would increase that much (maybe a few thousand) with the current plans but the both the fans experience and the player amenities would be greatly improved.

Remember, I didn't even ask for his comments so I know it's either been asked a lot or is something being talked about or both. He stressed improvements over adding much capacity but I think we could have as many as 5,000 (a number I mentioned, not him) total seats down both lines and maybe an outfield section when all is said and done.
packwest

Avent wishing for the new stadium. And a s/o to Dave Portnoy.
JCooke93
Believe it when I see it
FlockaWolf
Don't think we are getting a new stadium if our head coach is hoping for the Pres of barstool sports to help
onemanwolfpack44
Why doesn't the administration announce at least something to strike while the iron is hot?

I'm guessing some things are still in planning/finalization but why not go ahead with something a la Chuck's bulldozer?

Each day they wait in my opinion is wasted opportunity. Want the renovations/new stadium to be done well because I think if done well it is a big advantage to our program and really increase the fan experience, but we should be able to announce at least something to generate/continue excitement.
Bigwuf
packsd14, thanks! Fingers crossed!! The players and coaches deserve an improved stadium, new or improved - either one. If it involves taking down Lee and Sullivan, all the better!
wilmwolf
FlockaWolf said:

Don't think we are getting a new stadium if our head coach is hoping for the Pres of barstool sports to help
I think the help he was looking for was just the exposure from Barstool, not necessarily a financial help. Avent is smart, he's using subtle public comments to keep the pressure on the administration to act.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfpacklife
wilmwolf80 said:

FlockaWolf said:

I think the help he was looking for was just the exposure from Barstool, not necessarily a financial help. Avent is smart, he's using subtle public comments to keep the pressure on the administration to act.

Playing all of this super smart! Keeping it fresh on everyone's mind but doing it in a PC way to not catch crap. Bringing up the barstool president was genius. That guy was a huge voice for us during the CWS. He isn't necessarily saying "pay for it", but a simple tweet talking about it would be huge.
FlockaWolf
Oh I see. That makes more sense
843wolfpacker
wilmwolf80 said:

FlockaWolf said:

Barstool (and Dave) have talked about naming rights to a stadium or bowl game so them getting involved financially may not be completely out of the question
SportManagementEngineer
843wolfpacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

FlockaWolf said:

Barstool (and Dave) have talked about naming rights to a stadium or bowl game so them getting involved financially may not be completely out of the question
Doesn't seem worth it.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Ripper
The barstool guy was great for us during the CWS and if he wants to get involved, that's great.

However, the school should be upgrading the stadium (or building a new stadium) with or without barstool assistance.
johntom
SportManagementEngineer said:

843wolfpacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

FlockaWolf said:

Doesn't seem worth it.
Yeah I'm a longtime Barstool reader/listener, but I'm not sure the negative publicity that would come with partnering with Barstool is worth it. Their content is adult and sometimes offensive. They're also heavily involved with gambling. No need to have a sponsor who would be so divisive among fans and non-fans.

We have money. Not as much as some other schools, but we can build/upgrade the stadium without going to Barstool. Maybe reach out to Portnoy for a donation and give him a brick/plaque somewhere (doubt he'd do it).
Colonel Armstrong
Barstool isn't going to spend money on a collegiate baseball stadium so it's probably a moot point.

Dave's support of the team was big time publicity for us and we should be thankful. Time to set up a stadium fund that WPN can donate too
Gravis

Architects have been hired & are working on renovations. No new stadium.

Like I've said before many times. We don't need to depend on anyone else to build anything for us. Its time for us to step up, grow the WPC, contribute, and build it ourselves. Soon as the plans are public, get you credit cards out & help the cause. If you can afford $10/month to read this site, you you afford to help at least that much for our facilities.

The strength of the Wolf is in the Pack
BP Cox
Staff
King Leary said:

Barstool isn't going to spend money on a collegiate baseball stadium so it's probably a moot point.

Dave's support of the team was big time publicity for us and we should be thankful. Time to set up a stadium fund that WPN can donate too
Exactly. Portnoy was giving a voice for our fanbase with the way our situation was handled. While there is some crazy stuff in his past, Portnoy has been fighting "The Man" on many different levels, this time it was the NCAA on our behalf. Just look at what he has done against Roger Goodell. Goodell banned him from events and then Portnoy dropped close to a $1M in a charity to sit with Goodell at the next draft and Goodell backed out of it.

I know many don't like it when folks ask "how much have you donated to the WPC" in these threads, especially during these times of uncertainty.

I've voiced my opinions about this to my WPC guy...I know there are plans and ideas in place, but it's time to start showing the public what is behind door #1. The timing was not ideal to strike when everything at the CWS happened, but when the plans are shared and concepts agreed upon, we need to be ready to step up in whatever way we can. Even if you cannot donate Hendu type money, you can help by asking people to join the WPC or even joining yourself. Minimum levels are $10 a month. If you think that doesn't do anything think again. If you can't do that, help spread the news that help is needed. We can all do what is in our respective powers to help the Wolfpack.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
packwest
We can build the stadium. If Portnoy or Barstool want to donate, they can do so like any corporation or person and support the effort.

With that said, it's nice to have some media on our side and it looks like it's continuing.

BP Cox
Staff
Dave is gonna be more focused on all of the Barstool Athletes he's signed since the NIL opened up.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
TraCha4
Well. Dave supported the Wolfpack during the CWS so I supported Dave by buying new putter and driver head covers that had Bar Stool Sports on them.
BP Cox
Staff
Yep, I am sure Barstool has seen a bump in online visits from local IP addresses and purchases like yours. His story is pretty wild. Could have been any of us sitting around talking sports but he turned it into about a billion dollar company.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.