Fishing and Hunting

26,591 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ncsupack1
JonathanMetcalf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very rarely I got a chance to do fishing with my father, I like to do when the river or the lake usually has the pleasant water.
NatePait94
Been a little hot for the lakes around me. Some of the fish have moved up into the creeks. Been fishing Alamance Creek and landing slabs.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
ncsupack1
Haven't been in a couple of weeks....will wait till after the 4th...then I'll make a run.
NatePait94
I'll be going to dillsboro, NC for the 4th with the family. Wife and I will get out on the tuck. See if we can land some trout.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
JocoPack
I caught a few small croaker off of my kayak yesterday around Cape Carteret. Going to go back this Wednesday before the crowd gets bad to see if I can't catch a drum or flounder.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
NatePait94
Went to oak island 2 weeks ago and caught drum, spot, croaker, bluefish, and a very tasty flounder
JocoPack
NatePait94 said:

Went to oak island 2 weeks ago and caught drum, spot, croaker, bluefish, and a very tasty flounder
Awesome. What were you throwing out there? I've got some Gulp "new penny" and "electric chicken" shrimp on a 1/4oz jig. I've also been throwing a "new penny" shrimp on a popping cork in the marsh and around docks.
NatePait94
The new penny seems to be a freaking craze right now. No offense but it is almost comical how many people I saw using it. It definitely works. I was using fresh shrimp and pogies from a local market down there. I caught the flounder on a popping cork with a vudu shrimp. All the other fish were caught jigging with a Carolina rig.

Going trout fishing this weekend with the wife.
JocoPack
Lol well I was desperate for some bites so I jumped at what everyone else was using. I'm headed down tomorrow afternoon and going out on the kayak Thursday to see what I can get
NatePait94
Good luck to you. Hope to get a positive report back outta you when you return.

I think a fish would bite a turd with the GULP scent on it.
NatePait94
Joco, how was the kayak trip? Just returned from mtn trip with the wife. We caught a slew of rainbow trout, smallmouth, and rock bass. Made for some good eating!
JocoPack
Caught a few small croaker and 2 decent flounder. Fried the flounder up Saturday night for a little appetizer! Also discovered a local fishing kayak shop in Swansboro to pickup some stuff for the 'yak so now I'm gonna go back this coming weekend
NatePait94
That sounds awesome!
ncsupack1
Going to hit the lake up tomorrow with my son. Will be a easy day of pan fishing....the bass fishing will continue next week. Been too long since the boat has been in the water.
NatePait94
Good luck buddy! I'll be moving to trout territory at the end of next week.
ncsupack1
Good luck...love trout fishing
Garrymarton
I love fishing a lot. Not but not in the big river. A small pond or lake is my best choice for fishing.
ncsupack1
Not sure what everyone has been up to....I've hit Harris three times since Christmas and not a thing....gonna try tomorrow and Wednesday again....ie I bass fish...slow winter for me so far...
JocoPack
This thread hasn't been updated in a while...anyone get a big buck this year? I got a decent 8 pointer and a few does to fill the freezer. I've bagged several wood ducks and mallards as well as some teal, gadwall, wigeon, and a couple of pintails. On the fishing side I haven't done too much....Last several times I've been to the beach house I have just gone out to eat and been too lazy to take the boat out.
NatePait94
Went to sebastian inlet in florida in October and caught some nice Jack's, snook, and red fish. While I was down there hit up some ponds and caught some nice peacock bass as well.

Since then I've been trout fishing and have caught a few nice browns and a 21 inch rainbow I put on the wall after spawning season.
ncsupack1
Got everything ready for tomorrow...I'm finding the bait, just need these ol Harris bass to hit...
NatePait94
Good luck bud
ncsupack1
Thanks
ncsupack1
Any of y'all going to the Bass and salt water expo this weekend? Taking the boys Saturday. I really enjoy buying from the local bait and tackle shops.
NatePait94
Which one?
ncsupack1
State fair grounds
ncsupack1
Got the boat back for some yearly work and ready for some spring bass fishing. Anyone been out lately and how was the luck? Haven't been a month or so and things were slow.
ciscopack
I mainly fish for food (pond or lake or ocean)....every now and then in a tournament (kings) or trying to make some money (bluefin). I have 4 ponds and look after 1 and try to keep the numbers optimal in it....along with the water (PH, clarity, oxygen, etc.). I give away fish or clean them all and have a fry. I normally use artificial bait for crappie (don't want live minnows off the hook and in the pond) and mostly just red wigglers. I can catch 100 fish with 1 box of worms; some people fish and some people catch. Catching is fun. I have people throwing tons of hardware and the worms kick butt every time. I might catch bream, bass, catfish or even crappie with them.

I have a jon boat and a 237 Cobia and fish with a buddy some that has a 48 footer. I most fish from the bank and I don't mind a pier or a bridge if I want to fish. If I were a bass fisherman.....I'd do tournaments.

Helping my cousin with an old pond that my granddad (mom's dad) built around 1940 and he cleaned out and put in new drain system. We cut the old dam of the old mule built pond that my GG granddad (dad's side) built in the 1800's; it was at the head of the pond we're working on. I tried to get cuz to plant grass above the pond but he's stubborn and does other things. He wants to put fish in it in 2 weeks but it is too turbid (about 7" on the Secchi disc) and I told him to get it to 18" and then put the fish in. It needed lime for PH and we've done that and now putting in Gypsum but the grass is what is needed..... he has 2 acres cleared above the pond. He has about 35 feet of thin Ryegrass at the pond edge but it's not doing much. I told him to put a few bales of hay in the edge but he bought wheat straw.

Not much help for you ncsupack1; just trying to add to the thread.
Tootie4Pack
Ncsupack1.....I don't have any recent fishing stories or info to add, but here is a picture of my Grandfather on the right, my Uncle on the left, and their fishing buddy in the middle after catching some Striped Bass in the late 1960s.
Before they put the restrictions on catching the striped bass.

As I recall, this was a pic of just one of the coolers that they caught that day. One of my favorite pics of my Grandfather, who lived in Beaufort County. He was a great fisherman and hunter. Those were the days.
ncsupack1
That's cool, thanks for sharing.
ncsupack1
No problem, I would love to have a pond to manage...I think it would be fun.
ciscopack
Tootie4Pack said:

Ncsupack1.....I don't have any recent fishing stories or info to add, but here is a picture of my Grandfather on the right, my Uncle on the left, and their fishing buddy in the middle after catching some Striped Bass in the late 1960s.
Before they put the restrictions on catching the striped bass.

As I recall, this was a pic of just one of the coolers that they caught that day. One of my favorite pics of my Grandfather, who lived in Beaufort County. He was a great fisherman and hunter. Those were the days.

I went through Wendell one time; I'd guess late 70's? The corner service station had 10-12 4x8 sheets of plywood full of giant Rockfish nail to them.
Tootie4Pack
Yes the Rock used to be so big. My Grandmother cooked Rock stew. The whole fish , bones and all, onions, new potatoes, fresh roasting ear corn ( or fresh frozen corn).
Good Golly it was so good.

My grandparents would wrap a couple of the Rock in newspapers and we would bring home to Garner. My Mom baked it in the oven. Also delicious !!

You can still get fresh Rock at the Cypress Grill in Williamston. Mighty good eating !!
Tootie4Pack
Just wanted to report in that I stopped by the Cypress Grill in Williamston last Thursday. My first trip there since 2019 due to covid. Got a plate with (3) Herring, cooked medium, with potatoes and slaw, and also a plate of Rock Stew. Told my Father not to eat supper , that I was getting him a treat. He said I don't care what time you get back, bring the Herring straight to him to eat.

Met him at my office around 7:00 pm. He was like a kid in a candy store. He stripped those herring clean in a just a few minutes. And I brought him and my Mother some chocolate pie and pecan pie. My Mother might have dementia, but she loves her some chocolate pie! Been getting fish from the Cypress all of my life and most of my father's life. Good food and good memories.
ciscopack
Steven said:

Saltwater fishing just waiting will not be long before it's cobia time
I was in the Swansboro King Mackeral tournament for many years and knew the rules. We skipped 5-6 years and I went back forgetting Cobia were part of the tournament. We cleaned and ate a $2000 42 pound Cobia; we were cleaning him when a guy asked, aren't you guys in the KM Tournament? That Cobia would have won by about 14 pounds that year. We had 3 cobia and 7 dolphin when we left that area to concentrate on kings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.