Fishing and Hunting

26,373 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ncsupack1
WolfInTheWeeds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody have any early season luck with turkeys? Got one opening day. If course he flopped in a canal. Pretty bird went to ugly real quick.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Just wanted to report in that I stopped by the Cypress Grill in Williamston last Thursday. My first trip there since 2019 due to covid. Got a plate with (3) Herring, cooked medium, with potatoes and slaw, and also a plate of Rock Stew. Told my Father not to eat supper , that I was getting him a treat. He said I don't care what time you get back, bring the Herring straight to him to eat.

Met him at my office around 7:00 pm. He was like a kid in a candy store. He stripped those herring clean in a just a few minutes. And I brought him and my Mother some chocolate pie and pecan pie. My Mother might have dementia, but she loves her some chocolate pie! Been getting fish from the Cypress all of my life and most of my father's life. Good food and good memories.
Tootie, how is Cypress Grill since it relocated? Used to eat at the original in Jamesville regularly. I love a plate of hot fried herring with a little vinegar, and a side of slaw and cornbread.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Just wanted to report in that I stopped by the Cypress Grill in Williamston last Thursday. My first trip there since 2019 due to covid. Got a plate with (3) Herring, cooked medium, with potatoes and slaw, and also a plate of Rock Stew. Told my Father not to eat supper , that I was getting him a treat. He said I don't care what time you get back, bring the Herring straight to him to eat.

Met him at my office around 7:00 pm. He was like a kid in a candy store. He stripped those herring clean in a just a few minutes. And I brought him and my Mother some chocolate pie and pecan pie. My Mother might have dementia, but she loves her some chocolate pie! Been getting fish from the Cypress all of my life and most of my father's life. Good food and good memories.
Tootie, how is Cypress Grill since it relocated? Used to eat at the original in Jamesville regularly. I love a plate of hot fried herring with a little vinegar, and a side of slaw and cornbread.

BTG, the food is the same...simple but delicious. I went there when they first re-located and enjoyed it, but did not go at all in 2020 due to covid.

The thing that I always liked about the Cypress is the fish is cooked to order, so it is hot and delicious. I got my Father a plate with the stewed potatoes and slaw and (3) herring cooked medium....and then I brought them back to Garner for him to eat. Yes, they will stay warm all the way back. He inhaled the herring. First he had since 2019. Also got a plate of fresh Rock stew, which I love. Was simple but delicious. And of course I got some home made slices of pie.

Like you, I have grown to add a little something to my herring. I watched people add some George's BBQ sauce to their herring for years and thought they were crazy, until I tried it. It does make it even taste better. If you get a chance, stop by and check them out. The same folks own and operate it...Mr & Mrs Gardner's daughter and her family.
Tootie4Pack
Stopped by the Cypress yesterday evening.
Here is a pic of a Herring plate and a plate of Rock fish. Good eating !

And we had chocolate and lemon pie, too.
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

Wow, that looks good.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Thanks for posting that. Both plates look good.
pack95
This was my family's hail at Clark's Hill Lake in SC a few weekends ago.
Tootie4Pack
Looking good. I bet they tasted good, too !
ZAXPACK15
Killed my first turkey this weekend and I might be hooked. One of the most exciting hunts of my life. Anyone else getting on them this year?
3rd generation CALS grad
fishinwolf
This thread seems slow :-) Spanish are running at the coast - caught 15 from the shore up to 22" fishing a couple of hours in the AM and then again late afternoon last weekend. I was the only one fishing in the morning where I was at. Just a couple of walkers, joggers and dogs came by in 2+ hours. Peaceful.

ncsupack1
Caught my personal best yesterday. 9.42 pound bass came at one of the hardest lakes I've ever fished.
ZAXPACK15
ncsupack1 said:

Caught my personal best yesterday. 9.42 pound bass came at one of the hardest lakes I've ever fished.
What lake?
3rd generation CALS grad
ncsupack1
ZAXPACK15 said:

ncsupack1 said:

What lake?

Wheeler
ncsupack1
Hit Harris up yesterday, nice day but nothing. Few boats out. Gonna try again tomorrow.
ncsupack1
Going to try again tomorrow. Looking at a few different spots from the other day.
packgrad
Took a 5 pointer and a decent 8 this year. May try to get out for one last try tomorrow and take a doe. Tough season.
ncsupack1
packgrad said:

Took a 5 pointer and a decent 8 this year. May try to get out for one last try tomorrow and take a doe. Tough season.
Buddy of mine is having a rough year as well. You hunt in NC?
packgrad
ncsupack1 said:

packgrad said:

Buddy of mine is having a rough year as well. You hunt in NC?

Yep. Durham, Orange, and Person counties. My buddy got one monster on one of our leases, but none of the other ones would come out in light. All nocturnal. Still was fun spending all that time outside observing, but not the results I wanted.
ncsupack1
Funny you say that. I know a few buddies that have said the same thing about deer being at night.
Stevejrnc
Anyone getting ready for Turkey season here ?
ncsupack1
Got a few buddies that are.
ncsupack1
Got to get the boat serviced here soon. Also, looking for a new trolling motor....I need to get going.
ZAXPACK15
I'm getting very excited for turkey season. They are already strutting around at my place
3rd generation CALS grad
ncsupack1
Finally got the boat serviced and just finished installing my new trolling motor. Going to hit Harris in the am and see what's going on.
ncsupack1
Nothing. Beautiful day on the water though.
ncsupack1
Took the boys out on the water today. My oldest caught his first large mouth using dads gear…proud dad. The youngest not so happy, but I think I got them hooked.
ncsupack1
Going to hit the water later this week. Going to try Falls, my guess is that it's going to hard...LOL
waynecountywolf
Bump for newbies and turkey fishing season
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
ncsupack1
Never been turkey hunting before. Always wanted to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.