The Economy

16,366 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Werewolf
hokiewolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Werewolf said:

hokiewolf said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

If Biden had any sense, he would sit down with Manchin and truly understand what moderates want. His complete allegiance to the extreme Progressives has doomed the Democratic party for the next two election cycles. Joe Biden is a disaster for the Democrats. The worst POTUS of all time!
True Story

Yep, if the country can hang on, this is the best thing that can happen. We need a complete eradication of the Democratic Party!!

Lol, come on man, do you really believe crap like this? While I lean right, this is a ludicrous, scary notion. America is awesome and stands the test of time because of the balance.

I get the distaste for the far left, but most of America has (amd should) a similar distaste for the far right.
Yes I do!

BTW, what policies make up the far right?

I'm not going to get distracted into a debate on what is and what is not…if you think it's smart to get rid of the counter balance then I think you are either naive or dangerous. One of the things that keeps us from having a bigger right or left wing is that we have a counter balance
agree what we need is to elect more people who are interested in crafting sound legislation in lieu of rushing things to appease the Twitter mob
The twitter mob? LMAO

There are very few small govt people left on twitter, they have been banned and had their accounts removed.
I'm more speaking to the media and politicians who believe that Twitter is an actual rep rep of America. It in fact is not
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
hokiewolf
Werewolf said:

caryking said:

Werewolf said:

I've been looking at Toy Haulers for the last several months. One place I won't buy from is Camping World because of their political posturing.
Werewolf, unfortunately, I try not to find out about the companies I buy from…. If I did, I would probably need to create a self-sustaining life, off the grid.

The Disney deal is just up in our grill!
Disney certainly is. I think the Camping World CEO said something along the lines of "Trump voters can shop elsewhere" and I'm simply obliging.

That's not exactly true. Lemonis was guilty of not being clear. He wasn't referring to Trump voters but the racists, bigots and the far right extremist groups that were a portion of the Charlottesville protest, not all Trump voters and certainly not someone like yourself who hasn't espoused anything close to what he was referring to.
caryking
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Chem, go buy this book and start there…. This should help build your worldview…

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-Documents-Definitive-Collected/dp/0226320553/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SHX665Y926XG&keywords=The+road+to+serfdom&qid=1650551989&sprefix=the+road+to+serfdom%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1

Here is one reviewers comment:

This is one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I feel that it has shaped my worldview. This is an extremely difficult book to read. Like the great philosophers, you must reread each passage to fully understand it. It is astonishing how pertinent this book is to the current state of the economy. Government encroachment, I suppose, is timeless. People perpetually want benefits and power they don't deserve and that will never end. That is why this book must be republished for centuries to uphold individual responsibility and accountability in the highest regard. Facts don't change, and likewise people will always try to get their "something for nothing" or "free lunch" This book attempts to prevent the collectivization of resources since that process destroys the production that the citizenry depends on for their existence. This book sheds light on The Fatal Conceit; that the market is both more intelligent and just than any individual, which helps promote morality through freedom of choice.

I am surprised you're recommending a book from a guy who was a staunch defender of classical liberalism
Why?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Steve Videtich
hokiewolf said:

Werewolf said:

hokiewolf said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

If Biden had any sense, he would sit down with Manchin and truly understand what moderates want. His complete allegiance to the extreme Progressives has doomed the Democratic party for the next two election cycles. Joe Biden is a disaster for the Democrats. The worst POTUS of all time!
True Story

Yep, if the country can hang on, this is the best thing that can happen. We need a complete eradication of the Democratic Party!!

Lol, come on man, do you really believe crap like this? While I lean right, this is a ludicrous, scary notion. America is awesome and stands the test of time because of the balance.

I get the distaste for the far left, but most of America has (amd should) a similar distaste for the far right.
Yes I do!

I'm not going to get distracted into a debate on what is and what is not…if you think it's smart to get rid of the counter balance then I think you are either naive or dangerous. One of the things that keeps us from having a bigger right or left wing is that we have a counter balance
agree what we need is to elect more people who are interested in crafting sound legislation in lieu of rushing things to appease the Twitter mob
The twitter mob? LMAO

There are very few small govt people left on twitter, they have been banned and had their accounts removed.
I'm more speaking to the media and politicians who believe that Twitter is an actual rep rep of America. It in fact is not

They say it is because all conservative voices have been silenced there. There has and always will be a far left and a far right. The difference is what is real and what not.

Right now the far left has gained power through cooperation of mainstream media and what's happened with social media. The far right was something generated by mainstream media, and further pushed by the far left on social media, in order to push a stronger anti Trump narrative.

Yes, there are far right groups that exist. But, neither "far" group would have any power of they were ignored. Currently, the fat left had power because of bleeding heart liberals and a way to create division against the GOP. Far right had only gotten attention because it helps fuel the division.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

True Story

Yes I do!

So, you can call me naive or dangerous; however, you want even attempt to define policies that makes one part of the extremes?

Chem, are you just trolling?

Joe Biden
cowboypack02
caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-Documents-Definitive-Collected/dp/0226320553/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SHX665Y926XG&keywords=The+road+to+serfdom&qid=1650551989&sprefix=the+road+to+serfdom%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1

This is one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I feel that it has shaped my worldview. This is an extremely difficult book to read. Like the great philosophers, you must reread each passage to fully understand it. It is astonishing how pertinent this book is to the current state of the economy. Government encroachment, I suppose, is timeless. People perpetually want benefits and power they don't deserve and that will never end. That is why this book must be republished for centuries to uphold individual responsibility and accountability in the highest regard. Facts don't change, and likewise people will always try to get their "something for nothing" or "free lunch" This book attempts to prevent the collectivization of resources since that process destroys the production that the citizenry depends on for their existence. This book sheds light on The Fatal Conceit; that the market is both more intelligent and just than any individual, which helps promote morality through freedom of choice.

I am surprised you're recommending a book from a guy who was a staunch defender of classical liberalism
Why?

I thought it was a good read. I'd also recommend "Rise to Revolution" as well.

Not that one has anything to do with another, but I'm reading it and have enjoyed the read so far
TheStorm
PackFansXL said:

As long as you project the "far left" and the "far right" as if they are equally opposing forces, you miss the dramatic imbalance we are presently enduring. What you call "far right" is an extremely small minority with no power. What we are experiencing from the current administration is complete submission to the most progressive ideas within that party. They have immense power and influence and are extremely determined. THEY are the dangerous folks we all need to protect against.
Ain't that the truth. I personally feel that I politically align a hell of a lot closer to hokie and chem (as much as we STRONGLY disagree on a lot of what I call common sense issues) than I do the two (2) yet to remain unnamed "ultra conservative" posters that I was flagging the posts from (I wanted to use the word "radical" here instead of "ultra", but I am better trying to control myself in that regard - at least temporarily anyway ).

I will add, that it is curious to some extent as to why nobody has asked as to whose posts I was flagging... probably not who they originally thought, but to me that should have been obvious.

It was nice to see Davie post here again today without his information getting lost in the "SPAM" weeds that have infiltrated this board. I definitely sensed that Wayland was getting frustrated with it as well, and I hope that his recent inactivity is more aligned with the covid non-existence than it is the useless hijacking of the threads for other non-related purposes.
hokiewolf
caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Why?
you seem to have a more populist conservatism stance as well as being an America First agenda supporter. Those two things are the antithesis of classical liberalism.
caryking
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Why?
you seem to have a more populist conservatism stance as well as being an America First agenda supporter. Those two things are the antithesis of classical liberalism.
How so?

Joe Biden
hokiewolf
caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Why?
How so?
Two easiest examples are protectionism in the America First Agenda with respect to immigration and the desire to reel in American foreign policy based purely on monetary outlays, i.e. "NATO countries paying their fair share", the elimination of subsidies in Honduras to eliminate political and police corruption in that country would be another example, something that was eliminated early on in Trumps first months in office that was a policy I disagreed with and would go against classical liberalism thought.
hokiewolf
Fewest Americans collecting jobless aid since 1970

"Applications for unemployment benefits inched down last week as the total number of Americans collecting aid fell to its lowest level in more than 50 years."

https://apnews.com/article/covid-business-health-economy-unemployment-629c9afb8baaaed5502b12573ff27822
mrcpack17
hokiewolf said:

Fewest Americans collecting jobless aid since 1970

"Applications for unemployment benefits inched down last week as the total number of Americans collecting aid fell to its lowest level in more than 50 years."

https://apnews.com/article/covid-business-health-economy-unemployment-629c9afb8baaaed5502b12573ff27822
Let's go Brandon! Am I doing it right?
caryking
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Why?
How so?

Two easiest examples are protectionism in the America First Agenda with respect to immigration

and the desire to reel in American foreign policy based purely on monetary outlays, i.e. "NATO countries paying their fair share",

the elimination of subsidies in Honduras to eliminate political and police corruption in that country would be another example

something that was eliminated early on in Trumps first months in office that was a policy I disagreed with and would go against classical liberalism thought.

I separated your points so I could respond:

Immigration: the constitution is clear on immigration. The federal government is to set the laws that govern in. We have laws on the books, I just want them enforced. Now if one wants unfettered immigration, we'll that's completely "naive" thinking. I've not read anywhere that Classic Liberalism wants unfettered immigration.

If the USA has a vital national security issue, then I have "No" issue with using the Military. Example: Taiwan is vital; so we have no choice but to protect them. Classic Liberalism is in complete alignment with Vital National Security!!!

Honduras: I would rather not spend money with world corruption and spend it on people here in our country. Really, I'm not a fan of any type of government safety net; but, that's a whole different conversation.

I'm not seeing anything in Classic Liberalism that I'm in conflict with…

Joe Biden
caryking
Hokie, I could absolutely have a different opinion of the laws, on the books, regarding immigration if we would go back to privatization we once were. As long as we have the immigration laws, enforce them! Stop the government welfare state!!!

Healthcare, schools, food subsidies, etc…

Classical liberalism is a political ideology and a branch of liberalism that advocates free market and laissez-faire economics; civil liberties under the rule of law with an emphasis on limited government, economic freedom, and political freedom.

The problem with libertarians is that they espouse Classic Liberalism without fully understanding how Technocrats control every move they make!

Joe Biden
hokiewolf
I've got some revised info I need to put together on a post with respect to immigration. I actually did research! Give me a couple of days when I have time to write the post. It'll make more sense then
PackBacker07
caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

True Story

We need a complete eradication of both parties, and start from the ground up. You cannot honestly think, deep down in your heart of hearts, that just "Democrats" that are the issue. If you do, that is not rooted in reality. Both the insane fringes of each party are controlling the narratives of each, and the result is a beaten and battered America.

What is more logical is a central third party, but can one survive in the circle-jerk, echo chambers of today?
Y'all means ALL.
PackBacker07
caryking said:

How's the economy in and around Orlando today?

I'm a firm believer that corporations should stay the hell out of politics; if they do, well…. they get actions like the Florida congress is going through.

My family has been to Disney more than 20 times. In fact, we have a trip scheduled for later in the year. If we could get our deposit money back, we would not go. The very idea that it is good for a corporation to express such divisive opinions as well as say they will work hard to overturn a bill is not good.

I know the country has people with different opinions than mine; so, my opinion is that a corporation needs to stay neutral is the best way to straddle the opinions in this country.

Cary, to piggy-back on Hokie, you seem to be very conservative. If that is not correct, please let me know. However if you are, how does what DeSantis is attempting to do to Disney align with classic conservative principles of free speech and private property rights? Also he wants to completely destroy central Florida's economy and middle class in order to "own the libs?" Is that all that matters now?

Truly curious to your response, no flaming
Y'all means ALL.
PackFansXL
Quote:

Cary, to piggy-back on Hokie, you seem to be very conservative. If that is not correct, please let me know. However if you are, how does what DeSantis is attempting to do to Disney align with classic conservative principles of free speech and private property rights? Also he wants to completely destroy central Florida's economy and middle class in order to "own the libs?" Is that all that matters now?
I'm not Cary, but I think DeSantis has been mostly right in all his moves with the exception of punishing Disney for what they said. That's most likely an overzealous reaction to corporate woke attitudes and censorship but it is a violation of fundamental rights to free speech. It will be interesting to see how he handles his next move.

No politician wants to attack his own state's economic growth; so, I have no idea what you mean with that comment.
PackBacker07
Have you read up on this issue? And the special district he is trying to dissolve (illegally btw)? It will add $2200-2800 per family in taxes plus involve the county having to rehire thousands of workers (at higher rates than county employees make currently). It's insanity and goes against core conservatism. Plus Disney is now backing out of brining 2500 employees from CA due to this blatant attack. Etc, etc, etc.

IMO seems like it would hurt Orange County economically? Which hasn't recovered totally from COVID in the first place.
Y'all means ALL.
PackFansXL
Quote:

We need a complete eradication of both parties, and start from the ground up. You cannot honestly think, deep down in your heart of hearts, that just "Democrats" that are the issue. If you do, that is not rooted in reality. Both the insane fringes of each party are controlling the narratives of each, and the result is a beaten and battered America.
I disagree with this portion of your statement. I agree completely the Democrats have yielded to some very determined and very loud extremists but I don't see evidence of that on the Republican side. What do you consider to be the insane fringe controlling narrative for Republicans?
PackBacker07
Happy to answer, but have a question for you as well. Who do you think "controls" Democratic messaging right now? IE, gets the most shine on TV/social/basement "freedom" YouTubers/etc.
Y'all means ALL.
caryking
PackBacker07 said:

caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

True Story

What is more logical is a central third party, but can one survive in the circle-jerk, echo chambers of today?

I agree. Too many Republicans are the same as Democrats. The Republican Party is being taken over, as we speak, with America First people. The first thing they should is vote people like McConnell and McCarthy out of leadership. All those two stand for is an Elite control of all things.

Now, once they start the same racket, similar to some of the Tea Party folks, we should start again. We just need to recognize the change sooner!!!

Joe Biden
caryking
PackBacker07 said:

caryking said:

I'm a firm believer that corporations should stay the hell out of politics; if they do, well…. they get actions like the Florida congress is going through.

My family has been to Disney more than 20 times. In fact, we have a trip scheduled for later in the year. If we could get our deposit money back, we would not go. The very idea that it is good for a corporation to express such divisive opinions as well as say they will work hard to overturn a bill is not good.

I know the country has people with different opinions than mine; so, my opinion is that a corporation needs to stay neutral is the best way to straddle the opinions in this country.

I'll start from this premise. Tax incentives/breaks for business is a bad thing, I believe. I know I will arguments of the good they have done; however, my opinion is that they are a bad thing. We can fix it very easily by stopping taxes on businesses.

I'm very comfortable with Desantes' actions regarding Disney. The country has to start pushing back on the wokeness! So, if you take my first point in taxes and second point with wokeness, that my opinion.

Joe Biden
Steve Videtich
caryking said:

PackBacker07 said:

caryking said:

I'll start from this premise. Tax incentives/breaks for business is a bad thing, I believe. I know I will arguments of the good they have done; however, my opinion is that they are a bad thing. We can fix it very easily by stopping taxes on businesses.

I'm very comfortable with Desantes' actions regarding Disney. The country has to start pushing back on the wokeness! So, if you take my first point in taxes and second point with wokeness, that my opinion.

Didn't Georgia do the same thing when Delta spoke out against their voting rights bill? These states give out a lot of tax breaks to get these companies to set up shop in their states. But, then turn around years later and bite the hand that's feeding them.

Did Universal Orlando get the same benefit as Disney? I don't believe so, I could be wrong. Disney enjoys a ton of benefits but having to answer to anyone in Florida.

They are trying to bring employees from Cali because of what's in it for them. If they want to keep benefitting from those tax breaks don't be an ass to your landlord when rent is free.
BBW12OG
PackBacker07 said:

Happy to answer, but have a question for you as well. Who do you think "controls" Democratic messaging right now? IE, gets the most shine on TV/social/basement "freedom" YouTubers/etc.
The far left. Any other answer you come up with is wrong.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
PackBacker07
Steve Videtich said:

caryking said:

PackBacker07 said:

caryking said:

Didn't Georgia do the same thing when Delta spoke out against their voting rights bill? These states give out a lot of tax breaks to get these companies to set up shop in their states. But, then turn around years later and buy the hand that's feeding them.

Did Universal Orlando get the same benefit as Disney? I don't believe so, I could be wrong. Disney enjoys a ton of benefits but having to answer to anyone in Florida.

They are trying to bring employees from Cali because of what's in it for them. If they want to keep benefitting from those tax breaks don't be an ass to your landlord when rent is free.

Aside my my response here, should churches pay taxes if they become "political?"
Y'all means ALL.
PackBacker07
Ok, I'll bite. Who, in your mind, controls far-right political messaging?
Y'all means ALL.
PackBacker07
I actually agree with you that *most* political/hand-outs should be abolished for private ventures. This being the case, how do you feel about politicians using their pulpit to punish private businesses that speak out against them?

And re-reading your post, are you saying no US businesses should pay taxes, at all?
Y'all means ALL.
Werewolf
PackBacker07 said:

Have you read up on this issue? And the special district he is trying to dissolve (illegally btw)? It will add $2200-2800 per family in taxes plus involve the county having to rehire thousands of workers (at higher rates than county employees make currently). It's insanity and goes against core conservatism. Plus Disney is now backing out of brining 2500 employees from CA due to this blatant attack. Etc, etc, etc.

IMO seems like it would hurt Orange County economically? Which hasn't recovered totally from COVID in the first place.
Special Purpose Districts are created by state legislation. They are also dissolved by state legislation. I'm not in Florida but that is my understanding in a number of other states.
Steve Videtich
PackBacker07 said:

Steve Videtich said:

caryking said:

PackBacker07 said:

caryking said:

Didn't Georgia do the same thing when Delta spoke out against their voting rights bill? These states give out a lot of tax breaks to get these companies to set up shop in their states. But, then turn around years later and buy the hand that's feeding them.

Aside my my response here, should churches pay taxes if they become "political?"

Churches are different in the sense that all churches have the same tax benefit. Disney operates with a special benefit that others do not.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

cowboypack02 said:

PackFansXL said:

True Story

Yes I do!

So, you can call me naive or dangerous; however, you want even attempt to define policies that makes one part of the extremes?

Chem, are you just trolling?

If you believe we should have only your party, I stand by my concern.
PackFansXL
I still think Conservatives are slightly more liberal than they were 20 years ago. Progressives are so far off in the weeds we have to switch to a logarithmic scale to keep them on the same graph relative to where they were 20 years ago. What the hell happened to the Democratic Party?
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

I still think Conservatives are slightly more liberal than they were 20 years ago. Progressives are so far off in the weeds we have to switch to a logarithmic scale to keep them on the same graph relative to where they were 20 years ago. What the hell happened to the Democratic Party?

I don't disagree with you - or with your earlier comment about the volume of the extremes being heavier on the far left (though I believe there are a larger qty of "right wing" regular people who are not involved in politics).

I just think it is healthy to have a foil. It makes you think (or should). As an example I personally believe we needed an environmental movement…but I think we also need to make sure it doesn't completely derail our economy.

Having the opposite party keeps the extreme from building up.
I do believe the dem party has moved much more left…but I believe there are elements in the America First platform who would love to move the party further right then I hope will happen
BBW12OG
PackBacker07 said:

I wouldn't know. I'm not nor have I ever been a part of the "far-right." As far as I can tell the "far-right" has a few loons in the House and maybe one or two in the Senate.

Your party on the other hand has one or two moderates. The rest are MARXISTS. And anyone that still supports them are as well.

FACT.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

PackBacker07 said:

I wouldn't know. I'm not nor have I ever been a part of the "far-right." As far as I can tell the "far-right" has a few loons in the House and maybe one or two in the Senate.

Your party on the other hand has one or two moderates. The rest are MARXISTS. And anyone that still supports them are as well.

FACT.
for someone who on the past complained about being painted with a broad brush you sure do like to do it yourself. I'm most certainly more liberal than you when it come to social politics, does that mean I'm a Marxist?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.