International / Club soccer

36,663 Views | 559 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SexualChocolate
Steve Videtich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Listening to Sirrus XM, they suggested playing a B squad vs Mexico and put the A team against the last 2 to save their legs and also bc it was unlikely we would get a result in Mexico.
I like this honestly. If we get a result in 1 of of the other 2 then we've all but clinched a qualification spot. Don't like seeing us have to limp into the WC though.
I dont know....some years in past, maybe, but this is not a dominant Mexico side that is just going to win at home. I think we can beat them -- which would secure us and risk them, a double win.

I do get though....shoot your shot at altitude, already short handed and maybe you get a couple of your top players with cards in an emotional game......something fundamentally wrong with not putting your best foot forward.

The biggest issue is that we are even having to have this discussion.....frankly, I thought we would be an easy qualifier this cycle, but we have most certainly not played up to the hype (yet). I guess experience in these types of games really does matter, and we don't have much.

Agreed! @Canada, @El Salvado and @ Jamaica were huge disappointments. 3-4 additional points in those games and we're not sweating this last set.
mrcpack17
Well they decided against the b squad idea. They haven't looked bad, haven't looked great. Weah picking up the yellow stings as he's now out against Panama. Pulisic should've buried his chance so there's an argument to be made we should be up 1-0 even though Mexico has had way more of the ball.

We might be able to steal one if we stay smart at the back.
Packchem91
mrcpack17 said:

Well they decided against the b squad idea. They haven't looked bad, haven't looked great. Weah picking up the yellow stings as he's now out against Panama. Pulisic I should've buried his chance so there's an argument to be made we should be up 1-0 even though Mexico has had way more of the ball.

We might be able to steal one if we stay smart at the back.
Musah's miss was pretty bad too. But then Mexico had a great chance for a 1-1 opportunity and had a terrible first touch in the box.

Agree -- the yellows are adding up and not good. Two defenders and both right side wings on yellow....and Yedlin still bull rushing guys with the ball, recipe for a red.
mrcpack17
Well, we know why Pefok hasn't played. He nearly put that chance out for a throw
Packchem91
mrcpack17 said:

Well, we know why Pefok hasn't played. He nearly put that chance out for a throw
lawww.....you could Reyna was biting his lip not to say something.

OTOH, when was last time getting a point in Azteca would feel like a disappointment.
mrcpack17
Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

OTOH, when was last time getting a point in Azteca would feel like a disappointment.

For real. Unbeaten in our last 4 against them yet it feels like we got beat. I do think that shows perceptions about our team have changed as we expect more out of our team now.

But ultimately we're still in good shape. A win Sunday locks it up. I don't like losing Weah and the other injuries but Reyna coming back eases my worry a bit there.
Packchem91
mrcpack17 said:

Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

For real. Unbeaten in our last 4 against them yet it feels like we got beat. I do think that shows perceptions about our team have changed as we expect more out of our team now.

But ultimately we're still in good shape. A win Sunday locks it up. I don't like losing Weah and the other injuries but Reyna coming back eases my worry a bit there.
100% agree on expectations -- in fact, we've underachieved in the qualifiers, from that perspective, though we've missed a lot of games with McKinnie, Reyna, etc.

And Reyna looked dynamic in there....that touch on the "shoulda been a goal" to Pefok was world class, as was that 70 yard run thru traffic. Need more of that Sunday
Steve Videtich
Was driving during most of the game. But, in glad we got a point though. Beat Panama and we're in. It won't be easy because Panama is fighting for their last breath too.
SexualChocolate
Great first half!!
Cthepack
Just can't lose by more than 5 goals and we qualify!
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Great first half!!
Soccer is one of the most amazing sports in part because the score can be completely different than the game.
Frankly, in most of the 1H, I thought Panama was sharper -- we gave the ball away a lot, gave them opportuntities, keeper play was very shaky, just didn't feel like we were real sharp

Buttttt....we were incredibly efficient. And felt like Panama panicked for about 10 minutes there after the VAR turnover and correct call of the PK. By the time they recovered, it was too late.

One other observation -- have we ever had a player as creative as Gio?
Cthepack
Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Great first half!!
Soccer is one of the most amazing sports in part because the score can be completely different than the game.
Frankly, in most of the 1H, I thought Panama was sharper -- we gave the ball away a lot, gave them opportuntities, keeper play was very shaky, just didn't feel like we were real sharp

Buttttt....we were incredibly efficient. And felt like Panama panicked for about 10 minutes there after the VAR turnover and correct call of the PK. By the time they recovered, it was too late.

You watched a different game than I did. Panama was good the first 10 mins after that we dominated the first half.
Packchem91
Cthepack said:

Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Great first half!!

You watched a different game than I did. Panama was good the first 10 mins after that we dominated the first half.
39-61% possession for Panama. Shorts were 15-10 us....that is not exactly dominant.

Clearly, the goal is to score. We were quite efficient. It doesn't matter what it looks like, just win. And we did.
Cthepack
Packchem91 said:

Cthepack said:

Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Great first half!!

39-61% possession for Panama. Shorts were 15-10 us....that is not exactly dominant.

Clearly, the goal is to score. We were quite efficient. It doesn't matter what it looks like, just win. And we did.

I said the first half. Those shot and possession stats are full match stats.
hokiewolf
Why does possession % equal dominance? You can kick the ball around your 1/2 of the pitch for a 1/2 hour and win possession %, that doesn't mean you dominated the game.

Did Panama have some bad breaks that could have made this 5-2 or 5-3? Probably. But that first penalty had Panama in all sorts of disarray and the US capitalized and scored 3 before they could get reorganized.

Though the US did a great job on getting the personnel and the ball to meet in good scoring positions. That hasn't happened as much as I'd like to see in the past couple of matches.
Steve Videtich
hokiewolf said:

Why does possession % equal dominance? You can kick the ball around your 1/2 of the pitch for a 1/2 hour and win possession %, that doesn't mean you dominated the game.

Did Panama have some bad breaks that could have made this 5-2 or 5-3? Probably. But that first penalty had Panama in all sorts of disarray and the US capitalized and scored 3 before they could get reorganized.

Though the US did a great job on getting the personnel and the ball to meet in good scoring positions. That hasn't happened as much as I'd like to see in the past couple of matches.

Agree and I don't think it's happened enough in the entire qualifying tournament. US has showed way too much inconsistency throughout. They could've really had this wrapped up by now and been at the top of the table.
SexualChocolate
I don't care how they get there, making the World Cup was the goal and unless something crazy happens, we will be there.
johntom
I was flipping back and forth between this and the basketball games. Every time I turned on the soccer game, both teams looked pretty sloppy. Saw the first penalty and PK that was an obvious penalty, but a bit of a bail out. To our credit, we capitalized, but we need to clean up a bunch before Qatar. This team has more talent though than maybe any team I've seen in my lifetime. Clean some things up and get a good draw and this team could make it out of the group stage and win a game or two in the knockout round.

I'm just glad I get to see us playing in the World Cup again. I'm very much a casual soccer fan so the big international tournaments are when soccer is the most exciting for me (basically World Cup and Gold Cup finals). I think a lot of the country is in the same boat. World Cup runs are so exciting when basically everyone you know is rooting for the same thing.
Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

Who said it equals dominance. Here was my initial comment

In the 1H, we scored on a set play that turned into a PK, a counter attack where we kicked the ball over the top and Pulisic made a great run to get to the ball, another PK off a set play, and a beautiful goal that was a great example of patience and working the ball around and finally a good bounce to Ferreira who scored.

I just didn't think we were that good....but as i also said -- it doesn't matter -- give me a team that takes advantage of set plays and breaks, and you'll win a ton of games. Also, i think we showed we have a ton of things to clean up (getting 2 of our best guys back in McKennie and Dest, and get Reyna healthy will go a long way to helping with that).
mrcpack17
Not the prettiest first half but so far, mission accomplished. Let's not let in 6 in the 2nd and officially punch that ticket.
mrcpack17
OK so not the greatest start to the second half. LOL.

Panic button is now on the table. Not hitting it yet though.

mrcpack17
Ugly but job done. Can't wait til November.
Packchem91
mrcpack17 said:

Both of those are understatements!!

9 corner kicks with only one close shot on goal is a recipe for losing
Cthepack
Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

It's like only 3% of corner kicks result in goals.
Steve Videtich
Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

Well... mission accomplished.
Steve Videtich
Packchem91 said:

mrcpack17 said:

Well... mission accomplished.
hokiewolf
Clearly played not to lose by 6 goals. So we did it!
hokiewolf
19 pts in the last 7 games for Costa Rica. They are also dfl in possession percentage! The US basically played right into their hands.
SexualChocolate
World Cup Drawing is today! Let's see who the US gets!
SexualChocolate
England and USA in the same group! This is great!
Cornpack
We have drawn England. I am excited for the Twitter beef to come!
Retired internet funny guy
SexualChocolate
Can't make this up… England and Iran so far.
SexualChocolate
England, Iran, Scotland or Wales or Ukraine. Think our group is pretty good to advance.
mrcpack17
Couldn't have asked for a better group other than maybe getting into A. I would guess Wales will advance from the playoff to round out our group. I think we can hang with the Red Coats and should be able to handle Wales and give the Ayatollah a good thumping.

No standout out group of death other than maybe G.
Steve Videtich
I like our group versus any of the other Concacaf draws.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.