International / Club soccer

34,616 Views | 559 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SexualChocolate
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All three GAs were to guys standing completely unmarked
SniderFC
Defense fell apart this game, so many missed opportunities too.
Packchem91
SniderFC said:

Defense fell apart this game, so many missed opportunities too.

Major goal for 26 find better defenders. Find a striker. The MF is pretty solid and this experience will help
Packchem91
This WC is confirming what should have already known….ultimately, like the CFP, there are just a handful of the same teams that are deep enough to win this.

The group play was fun, but the R of 16 has been one-sided with the traditional powers prevailing

Ultimately, it's almost always gonna be some 4 of

France, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina and the occasional Croatia type teams that are going to make the final 4

Some of those didn't even get to the WC or out of group play this time, but on the average, those are it.

They are the Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU, Michigan, OU, USC of college FB
hokiewolf
Pretty shocking news that Grant Wahl passed away at the Netherlands Argentina match.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Cornpack
You will not convince me that the Qataris didn't murder him. Dude was rocking the boat on way too much stuff and had already been receiving death threats. But now all of a sudden he dies of "natural causes" just the same as all those migrant workers that built their stadiums while he is trying to attend games in a pride shirt and was reporting on migrant worker deaths and abuses? Put me in the camp with the conspiracy theorists here.
Packchem91
Cornpack said:

You will not convince me that the Qataris didn't murder him. Dude was rocking the boat on way too much stuff and had already been receiving death threats. But now all of a sudden he dies of "natural causes" just the same as all those migrant workers that built their stadiums while he is trying to attend games in a pride shirt and was reporting on migrant worker deaths and abuses? Put me in the camp with the conspiracy theorists here.

It's sad, but completely understandable that many of us immediately think of some kind of retribution for his story on the deadly buildup to the WC
But did see this - sounds like he'd been sick for several days.

FIFA has no way to just put their hands up and blow this off. They brought this on themselves when they were bribed into putting the games there

Civilized
Absolutely crazy and tragic for Grant and his family.

Hoping they can get his body to Al Udeid for an autopsy. He had been complaining of chest pressure during his current illness but given the situation his cause of death has to be evaluated.
hokiewolf
Aortic aneurysm killed Grant Wahl. Man sometimes when it's your time it's your time.
Civilized
Wonder if that was causing the pressure in his chest he was describing.

Tragic outcome for all involved.
Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

Aortic aneurysm killed Grant Wahl. Man sometimes when it's your time it's your time.
Terribly sad situation, but setting that aside, i am glad the coroners were able to so definitively describe what happened. His family will obviously be impacted forever, but at least maybe this will give them some peace that it was purely medical and not something nefarious.
SexualChocolate
Berhalter should not have his contract renewed. How he treated Gio and letting it leak is horrible. Gio did act like a child for a few days but he is still really young. He also admitted his mistake and apologized to the team. Beyond that, Berhalter strategy did not work and I have no idea why we are not set up defensively with hard marking on the opponents. It just seemed like the Netherlands ran openly free when they got into our box.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Berhalter should not have his contract renewed. How he treated Gio and letting it leak is horrible. Gio did act like a child for a few days but he is still really young. He also admitted his mistake and apologized to the team. Beyond that, Berhalter strategy did not work and I have no idea why we are not set up defensively with hard marking on the opponents. It just seemed like the Netherlands ran openly free when they got into our box.
For both soccer and then team chemistry perspective (which has been impacted by his leak), I agree with you.
This team could have a bright future, hope they find the right coach.

All three goals were guys who had no one with 3 steps of them....that is inexcusable in high school.....its unbelievable to happen 3x at a WC game.
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

hokiewolf said:

Terribly sad situation, but setting that aside, i am glad the coroners were able to so definitively describe what happened. His family will obviously be impacted forever, but at least maybe this will give them some peace that it was purely medical and not something nefarious.

Agree completely.

The thought of foul play obviously crossed many people's minds but this outcome (definitive, natural cause) is best-case for all involved, most especially his family as they try to achieve some semblance of closure.
hokiewolf
Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

For both soccer and then team chemistry perspective (which has been impacted by his leak), I agree with you.

All three goals were guys who had no one with 3 steps of them....that is inexcusable in high school.....its unbelievable to happen 3x at a WC game.
they aren't going to ever find the "right coach" because of the requirements to prop up MLS as part of the duties. A proper coach wants 100% control, US Soccer doesn't want that. It's MLS ownerships pockets staying full is the greater goal over challenging for the World Cup
Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

they aren't going to ever find the "right coach" because of the requirements to prop up MLS as part of the duties. A proper coach wants 100% control, US Soccer doesn't want that. It's MLS ownerships pockets staying full is the greater goal over challenging for the World Cup
I hear you. It is a very valid concern....we can't get out of our own way. But the core of that team is going to be much more experienced at a world-class level (hopefully) and will have WC experience. Need some more parts around it -- on the back line and front line. There will always be an MLS component, but if we can groom a few more pieces, we can be competitive.
Packchem91
Also --- go Argentina. The country is a mess and don't like all the antics of the team (Netherlands game), but there are no players more deserving of a WC than Messi. Hope he gets one this time.
SexualChocolate
I don't disagree with the MLS component but they need someone outside of the USSF and to change the way we prepare our National team. All of our National team players should be playing abroad and we also need to recruit players that can play for the US. We have a great core but are missing some Defensive pieces.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

I don't disagree with the MLS component but they need someone outside of the USSF and to change the way we prepare our National team. All of our National team players should be playing abroad and we also need to recruit players that can play for the US. We have a great core but are missing some Defensive pieces.
all thru qualifying, I was shocked at how bad our D was....it was somewhat shocking (except 2 of our 3 opponents were limited) that we didn't allow more goals in the qualifying round.
SexualChocolate
I know we don't want to recycle Klinsmann but we need a quality National team coach this go around. I really like Roberto Martinez as an option but if you want strictly American, I like Jesse Marsch or even Tab Ramos who coached at the U20 level.
Cornpack
Yes to Marsch
Retired internet funny guy
hokiewolf
Cornpack said:

Yes to Marsch
Does he have the respect of US Soccer to let him see through his vision and not theirs? And does Marsch have the balls to push back? That's my only concern.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

I know we don't want to recycle Klinsmann but we need a quality National team coach this go around. I really like Roberto Martinez as an option but if you want strictly American, I like Jesse Marsch or even Tab Ramos who coached at the U20 level.

That younger team has some talented kids on it - including Aaronson's little brother.
SexualChocolate
This is correct. They're some really good young talent at a young age and some potential flips to our club. Weah was great but I'd like to have seen Gio and Aaronson more. I'm laughing that I actually bought a Aaronson kit because I was sure he would play. He's been awesome for Leeds this year.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

This is correct. They're some really good young talent at a young age and some potential flips to our club. Weah was great but I'd like to have seen Gio and Aaronson more. I'm laughing that I actually bought a Aaronson kit because I was sure he would play. He's been awesome for Leeds this year.

The thing I noticed when I watched that u20 team play, and it's true for both of the guys you mentioned above they play with creativity.
All the best players are creative, amd that has been traditionally lacking from US players. I think that is the next step for us to be able to sustain success against the top 20 nations
TheStorm
Chem, I was disappointed that you didn't create a World Cup thread this year... just settling in to watch Les Bleus win their back-to-back titles. (Griezmann is my current favorite player)
WarrenPeace
Happy for Messi. Class guy.
Civilized
A final that was befitting a phenomenal World Cup!
SexualChocolate
That World Cup Final was awesome. One of the best games I've ever seen.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

That World Cup Final was awesome. One of the best games I've ever seen.

Between church and Panthers game, I've yet to see it, but all indications from Twitter follows, sounds like it was the game of a lifetime. Looking forward to watching this evening
TheStorm
Yeah, that was definitely one hell of a game... my side came up short unfortunately, but gotta be happy for Messi.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Yeah, that was definitely one hell of a game... my side came up short unfortunately, but gotta be happy for Messi.
Finally watched it last night, and from about the 70th minute -- when France really started pressing -- on, it was about as entertaining a "big game" as you could ever ask for. The two megastars delivering. Up and down action, with both teams creating great chances. Unbelievable saves by the keepers. And credit to Fox, I think nothing lends itself better to "fan cameras" than international games, and they do a great job capturing that.
And then those final 5 minutes of the 2nd OT, with both teams having point blank opportunities that are goals in most regular season games....but could not there.

And i hate PKs, but they are tension personified with the weight of your country on your shoulders

One other thing --- I don't think there is a person in America who can imagine the type of pressure Messi played under in that game, given how important it is to get out from under the national shadow of Maradona and to get a WC in his great career with all of Argentina living on his ability to do that.....and darned if he didn't stand up.

SexualChocolate
Messi's accomplishments:

10x La Liga Trophy
7x Copa del Rey
7x Supercopa de España
4x Champions League
3x UEFA Super Cup
3x Club World Cup
Ligue 1
Trophe des Champions
Copa Amrica
CONMEBOL-UEFA Cup of Champions
FIFA World Cup

Also, he has won the Balon d'Or 7 times.
Packchem91
Wow, this reeks of the types of stuff that happen at the youth club soccer level where paying parents get mad when little Jimmy isn't the star

I'm no fan of Berhalter, but (1) this should not have come out and (2) the Reynas, at least the parents, are pieces of crap. No wonder Gio has a reputation as being a bit of a diva

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states-usa/story/4844539/reynas-told-us-soccer-about-past-gregg-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources
SexualChocolate
This is a hot mess. Agree with all points. Not a fan of Gregg's coaching but to bring this up almost 3 decades ago is horrible. Still hope that we get a new Nat'l Team coach and we just move past all this silliness.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.