Local Restaurant Thread

15,784 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tootie4Pack
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every time we've eaten there it has been spot on, and I leave full. Plus, they always remember us.
caryking
Where is Grumpy's in Morehead City?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
It's on 907 A Arendell ST
waynecountywolf
BJs Cafe in Eureka-best homemade chicken salad
Aarons between Pikeville and Goldsboro-best brisket and sauce on Friday and great steaks on Saturdays
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
FlossyDFlynt
Chianti South off US 17 right near Little River, SC. Absolutely fantastic Italian food. If you are in the Ocean Isle/Myrtle Beach area, would 100% recommend.
Bell Tower Grey
The original Bill's Grill on 117 out of Wilson (They now have a second location on Nash St. in town that serves breakfast and lunch). Hot dogs, the red Bright Leaf's, are solid. I absolutely love the bacon pimento cheese burger...food for the gods. A great family owned place. Good blue plate grub
SexualChocolate
FlossyDFlynt said:

Chianti South off US 17 right near Little River, SC. Absolutely fantastic Italian food. If you are in the Ocean Isle/Myrtle Beach area, would 100% recommend.

This. Great Italian food. Another place we like in North Myrtle is Midtown Bistro. We go there every time we are in the area.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

The original Bill's Grill on 117 out of Wilson (They now have a second location on Nash St. in town that serves breakfast and lunch). Hot dogs, the red Bright Leaf's, are solid. I absolutely love the bacon pimento cheese burger...food for the gods. A great family owned place. Good blue plate grub
Yep, nice folks- eat there often
Bell Tower Grey
Anyone got recommendations for lunch and dinner in / around little Washington? Prefer local, non-chain fare if possible. Going to be there a coupe of days this coming week.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Anyone got recommendations for lunch and dinner in / around little Washington? Prefer local, non-chain fare if possible. Going to be there a coupe of days this coming week.

BTG, several places for great breakfast and lunch food that I personally recommend.

The biscuits at Mom's Grill are as good as the biscuits at Flo's in Wilson. That is saying something.

The famous white chili on the red hot dogs at Bills Hot Dogs is delicious , and there is some zip to that spicy chili.

Great, great country cooking at King Chicken. No tables to eat at, great country cooking. They also have great cheese biscuits all day long and delicious mini sweet potato pies.

Are some fine local restaurants on Main Street near the waterfront.
caryking
Went to Mookie's, in Cary, for dinner last night. I had the Ruben! Wow! Reminded me of the Carnegie Deli, in NYC.

Joe Biden
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

https://www.wral.com/king-chicken-serving-up-southern-soul-since-1958/19558678/
ncsupack1
Love Bill's. Haven't been there since I was a student at State scouting cotten out east. Been too long.
packgrad
Ate at Seol Grille in Cary today. I've eaten there before but this was our first time we did the all you can eat Korean BBQ. I am beyond full. We had brisket, pork belly, tofu, pork bulgogi, beef bulgogi, shrimp, Seol steak, steamed dumplings, soy bean soup, corn cheese, steamed egg, salad, and banchan. Everything was quite good. No intention of doing again anytime soon I'm so full, but would be a fun place to take guests. Recommended.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie, gotta give you a big shout out for your call on Mom's Grill. I owe you a drink, or a couple of catheads, or both. You choose.

Yeah, it's a dive and could be the gateway to the hood, but it draws the folks in. I'm sure many folks pass by and never give a thought to stopping, based on the looks and location of this place. They are so wrong to do that. Parking lot was packed this morning when I pulled up. Folks from every walk of life were inside waiting for the goodness to unfold.

I got two of these beautiful catheads, full of bacon, egg and cheddar cheese. I could only finish one, so the other one will be breakfast tomorrow. The biscuit was light and full. Done just right. This is not something you can eat and drive at the same time because you will lose too much that is worth eating. Get plenty of napkins.

Your call about it being as good as Flo's was spot on. I like Flo's just slightly more due to the fact that Flo's has tenderloin and Mom's doesn't. Regardless, if anyone is within a 30 mile radius of this place, do yourself a favor and go for these gut busters. You won't regret it.
SCUDDER
Bell Tower Grey said:

SCUDDER said:

Coming to Raleigh for work and need a nice restaurant. Most of these suggestions are not in Raleigh. Good restaurants that are open on a Monday night?
So, scudder, where did you wind up having dinner on Monday night?
. I am going to be there on Aug 30th so I will let you know.
gtman49
SCUDDER said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

SCUDDER said:

Coming to Raleigh for work and need a nice restaurant. Most of these suggestions are not in Raleigh. Good restaurants that are open on a Monday night?

Any type cuisine you are looking for?
WolfQuacker
caryking said:

Went to Mookie's, in Cary, for dinner last night. I had the Ruben! Wow! Reminded me of the Carnegie Deli, in NYC.
I've eaten there 4 times and always spot on. About 2 miles from my house.
caryking
WolfQuacker said:

caryking said:

We must be neighbors! I'm about 1 mile from Mookies.

Joe Biden
gtman49
WolfQuacker said:

caryking said:

My wife and her side of the family are former New Yorkers - if I take them her and I don't past the test, I'm coming back to blame you guys.
caryking
gtman49 said:

WolfQuacker said:

caryking said:

My wife and her side of the family are former New Yorkers - if I take them her and I don't past the test, I'm coming back to blame you guys.
Are they Jewish? I don't think this guy is. You know that most of the great delis in NYC are Jewish Deli's!

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie, gotta give you a big shout out for your call on Mom's Grill. I owe you a drink, or a couple of catheads, or both. You choose.

Yeah, it's a dive and could be the gateway to the hood, but it draws the folks in. I'm sure many folks pass by and never give a thought to stopping, based on the looks and location of this place. They are so wrong to do that. Parking lot was packed this morning when I pulled up. Folks from every walk of life were inside waiting for the goodness to unfold.

I got two of these beautiful catheads, full of bacon, egg and cheddar cheese. I could only finish one, so the other one will be breakfast tomorrow. The biscuit was light and full. Done just right. This is not something you can eat and drive at the same time because you will lose too much that is worth eating. Get plenty of napkins.

Your call about it being as good as Flo's was spot on. I like Flo's just slightly more due to the fact that Flo's has tenderloin and Mom's doesn't. Regardless, if anyone is within a 30 mile radius of this place, do yourself a favor and go for these gut busters. You won't regret it.

BTG, glad you enjoyed those delicious biscuits. They have been serving them up for many years in Washington. About the closest ever to my Grandmother's cheese biscuits, which were made with lard. And my Grandparent's house and our family farm is less than 10 minutes from Mom's Grill.

These has been a lady working at Mom's for over 30 years , Miss Helen. She knows how to cook. Doesn't measure anything and doesn't taste her cooking. Knows when the biscuits are right by looking at them as they cook. Just like my Grandmothers cooked. And you are right , the ham and sausage biscuits are all delicious.

Quick story: when my Grandfather was on the last leg of his life at the Beaufort County Nursing Home, we would tell my brother or one of my cousins that he sure would like a cheese biscuit from Mom's. And they would get him one. When an old timer tells you how good they are, you can believe it ! ( he also would ask for a couple of Bill's Hot Dogs every now and again too).

Glad you enjoyed the biscuits. What I like to say is " That's some good eating right there."

Bell Tower Grey
One more from Washington. Had lunch at Grub Brothers / Little Brown Jug Brewing. Their special was fried soft shells. Got a soft shell blt with a side of their house made chips. The crab was a little small, two that size on the bun would have been great, but what I had was very good. Their overall menu looks interesting and leans burger heavy. Will remember this place as well when passing through.

Topwater
ncsupack1 said:

Best Corn Beef Hash on the Planet. No doubt.

Grumpy, that is......
Fishing and the Wolfpack
ncsupack1
Looks great!
ncsupack1
Been there?
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Looks great!
I'd never been to Mom's Grill, Grub Brothers or King's Chicken until the past few days. Mom's and Grub Brothers warrant re-visits - both are quite good.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I wasn't that impressed with King's Chicken. May have been a bad day for them, but what I had was greasy and just a bland taste. Tum's, and a nearby toilet, quickly became my friends after that meal.

Chose not to go to Bill's Hot Dog place due to the recommendation from a local I was doing some business with.
SCUDDER
gtman49 said:

SCUDDER said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

SCUDDER said:

Any type cuisine you are looking for?

We went to Sushi O Bistro. It was very good. Btw tried to show coworkers the campus and couldn't find my way around. One way streets and traffic circles were not there 30 years ago.
waynecountywolf
Snow Hill
http://www.farmerandthedail.com/
Breakfast Biscuit Bombs with Nahunta sausage, new location and building this year.
https://www.ourstate.com/the-full-package-at-farmer-and-the-dail/

https://video.pbsnc.org/video/farmer-and-dail-bakery-ppbmjq/
Bakery with applejacks!
pack99
Topwater said:

ncsupack1 said:

Grumpy, that is......

I have a doubt. Best corn beef hash on the planet would be at Sam & Omie's, in south Nags Head.
89_Grad
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Looks great!
I'd never been to Mom's Grill, Grub Brothers or King's Chicken until the past few days. Mom's and Grub Brothers warrant re-visits - both are quite good.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I wasn't that impressed with King's Chicken. May have been a bad day for them, but what I had was greasy and just a bland taste. Tum's, and a nearby toilet, quickly became my friends after that meal.

Chose not to go to Bill's Hot Dog place due to the recommendation from a local I was doing some business with.
I grew up in Washington, and I agree on Bill's Hot Dogs. Once I found out the "white chili" was basically lard and diced onions, I stopped going there. That was sometime in college in late 80s...
caryking
pack99 said:

Topwater said:

ncsupack1 said:

Grumpy, that is......

I have a doubt. Best corn beef hash on the planet would be at Sam & Omie's, in south Nags Head.
A good can of Hormel's Corned Beef Hash is all I need...
Bell Tower Grey
We went to Prime Smokehouse this evening before the football game came on tv. First time visiting since they moved to Rocky Mount Mills. Venue itself is very nice; was pleasantly surprised. Definitely more modern decor than a bbq place would have.

I got a combo of pork ribs, brisket, collards, and yams. Mrs. got the chopped pork plate with yams, and macaroni and cheese. We also asked for bread, which was cornbread muffins that were very good.

The ribs were moist, with just enough tug to get them off the bone. Slight smoky but not overpowering flavor. The brisket was very tender but was dry and disappointing. The collards were bland - menu said cooked with turkey, but there was no hint of that. Yams were the star of the plate.

The chopped pork was also dry. We asked for sauce but it wasn't brought to the table until we were finished and ready to get our check and leave. I'm not a big macaroni fan, but Mrs. BTG said it was good and she'd order it again.

Our server had a large area with about 8 tables to cover at the same time. She did a great job with it considering they appeared to be short staffed. I know she wasn't responsible for what came out of the kitchen, so she was tipped nicely for her service.

On the ride home, we talked about our dinner. Decided we will go back and next time try their burgers and maybe a steak (all of which we saw being served). Those dishes looked good, so maybe that might be a redeeming quality for the place. When we do decide to go back, if what we order then is as bland as tonight's meal, we probably won't go back.
FlossyDFlynt
Steve's Holden Beach thread reminded me that I had some Italian in that area that I posted about in this thread, so wanted to bring it back to the top.

As far as local goes, I took my mother to Margeaux's for Mothers Day. Absolutely fantastic meal. It was a catered menu due to Mothers Day, so Ill definitely be going back during a normal time to get a more expansive menu. Wasnt cheap, but definitely worth it for the right occasion.
Bell Tower Grey
Haven't been to Margeaux' in years. Glad to learn it is still open. We always had great meals there. Need to make a mental note to stop back in for dinner when we are in that area again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.