Local Restaurant Thread

15,780 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone interested in opening a Chinese place in Durham?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article261732842.html#storylink=mainstage_card2
Tootie4Pack
Had not posted on here in a while. Got my Father
a plate from Angie's in Garner. Pot roast and veggies, cabbage, beans, deviled eggs, corn bread. He is a happy camper.

metcalfmafia
Finally was able to try Tap Station in Apex (pretty rare we get a new watering hole). I was extremely underwhelmed by the food. Beer was not good either, but maybe my expectations were too high.

Atmosphere is great though and very unique.
Tootie4Pack
Here is to folks who like to watch Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives......tonight, Friday Sept. 30th, there will be some restaurants from the Crystal Coast on the show. I know that Guy Fieri visited Amos Mosquiotsa and El's Drive In and Sanitary and Floyd's 1921 restaurant.

At 9:00 pm tonight, Amos Mosquitos will be on, and possible another one of these restaurants. My family enjoys all of these places, and we got to talk with one of Amos owners, Sandy Howard, this summer the week after D,D,& DT had been there. It was very interesting to hear him talk about what this show required / asked them to do. Looking forward to seeing the show as we frequent Amos several times every year.

Just wanted to let you know if anyone is interested in watching.
ncsupack1
I must admit, I've lived in Garner my whole life and have never eaten there.
Tootie4Pack
ncsupack1 said:

Great food and great folks. We decided to eat there the first weeek they opened in MHC and have been fans of their food ever since. Have gotten to know both Sandy and Dave as they are co-owners and one or both of them are there every night.

Lots of Garner connections there as a couple of young men that grew up in Garner and graduated from GMHS moved down ther with their families, and the youngest of those two, his daughters and Sandy and Hallock's daughters ( co-owners) are best friends. We always talk about Garner with them as many from here have enjoyed eating there. Give it a try if you are ever in Atlantic Beach. ( We also enjoy lots of other restaurants down there, but Squeeters is our favorite).

Bell Tower Grey
Thanks for posting this, Tootie. We usually eat at Amos' at least once while we are in the area. Always have had good meals and very good service. We look forward to going there. Didn't know about the Garner area connections.

I don't know why or how they chose to go to Sanitary unless someone from their production crew needed a new t-shirt. It's been at least 15 years, maybe longer, since we dined there last. Even then the food, outside of the hush puppies, was disgustingly bad and their wait staff had a "don't really give a shtt" attitude. Looks like the Garner family, or whomever owns it now, will get a little windfalll from more upcoming t-shirt sales to unsuspecting guests.
Packchem91
Went to South 21 in Matthews today. There are 3-4 locations in Charlotte, the primary one since the 50s or so.
You won't stay skinny eating there regularly, but for a guilty pleasure lunch (trout plate, double fries), it is very difficult to beat.
Bell Tower Grey
Is that the same place that does the spicy dipped fried chicken? If so, have you had that?
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

Is that the same place that does the spicy dipped fried chicken? If so, have you had that?

I think that's BBQ King drive in. Fried chicken dipped in a spicy vinegar bbq sauce. Haven't been in a long time, but it was worth the stop last time I went years ago.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Thanks for posting this, Tootie. We usually eat at Amos' at least once while we are in the area. Always have had good meals and very good service. We look forward to going there. Didn't know about the Garner area connections.

I don't know why or how they chose to go to Sanitary unless someone from their production crew needed a new t-shirt. It's been at least 15 years, maybe longer, since we dined there last. Even then the food, outside of the hush puppies, was disgustingly bad and their wait staff had a "don't really give a shtt" attitude. Looks like the Garner family, or whomever owns it now, will get a little windfalll from more upcoming t-shirt sales to unsuspecting guests.

BTG, Guy Fieri's grandparents lived in Morehead City for many years, and on family trips there , it was a tradition to go to the Sanitary and eat. Don't know how many times per trip, but he has said it was a lot of great memories for him. So that is why he wanted to go there.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

BTG, Guy Fieri's grandparents lived in Morehead City for many years, and on family trips there , it was a tradition to go to the Sanitary and eat. Don't know how many times per trip, but he has said it was a lot of great memories for him. So that is why he wanted to go there.
Ok. Thanks for that. Poor souls must be gluttons for punishment.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

No. Nothing like that. Think old Greek run comfort foods - fried chicken, burger, steak burger, fried trout, etc

When I was a kid, to make extra $, my dad would work at the original CLT Coliseum, collecting money for parking cars. My lasting memory is he'd bring home dinner sometimes from the old S21 drive in just down from the coliseum. It would be fried chicken, amd my brother and I would fight over the crust. It was so good. Same is on the fried trout now…mmmmm
TheStorm
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

4 or 5 years ago already, they had an entire show of his family on vacation and they ate at Sanitary one night... and when I say "his family", I mean there were like 25 of them.
hokiewolf
I need some help for Hickory and Elizabeth City.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Bell Tower Grey
hokiewolf said:

I need some help for Hickory and Elizabeth City.
You didn't specify cuisine, but there are 2 that we have in our regular rotation in Elizabeth City;

Quality Seafood Market (no frills, order at the counter and wait till they call you. Great fried seafood).

Cypress Creek Grill (Riverfront, lunch and dinner service. Wide menu that will have something for almost everyone)
TheStorm
Been ten years since I last lived there, but:

VIEWMONT AREA
Hickory Tavern (American)
DaVinci's (Italian)
Windy City Grill (longtime old style burger joint)
Nara (Japanese)
Standard Oyster Company

DOWNTOWN
Vintage House (Fine)
Olde Hickory Taproom
Olde Hickory Station
Notions

Probably some new places there that I am not aware of, but like I said it's been awhile.
Glasswolf
How about some recommendations for Biltmore/Asheville. Going in December to celebrate our 25th wedding anniv. Not interested in the brewery's since I stopped drinking but more on the food side.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

bigeric
When I go home, I miss Anderson's in Charlotte, in front of Presbyterian Hospital.
Understand they sell their pecan pie at the drive-thru, and are into catering, but the restaurant has been closed for awhile.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
TheStorm
Glass, last time we went we were staying at Grove Park Inn and mainly ate at the resort, but we made a point to make it out to Tupelo Honey while we were there - and it did not disappoint. Breakfast, Lunch experience only for me so far, but it is also open for dinner.

The one that I've heard really good things about, but haven't been to yet is The Blackbird.

Just be careful about walking around after dark in some of the areas near downtown... large Antifa presence in the area apparently.
Bell Tower Grey
Couple of places there for you to consider. We did the Biltmore House Christmas tour a few years ago in November. Our anniversary is in November, and we had decided to find some of the lesser known, off the beaten path restaurants to try - more or less locals spots.

Our two favorites were:

Limones (definitely need a reservation). Menu changes weekly. Cali / Mex fusion, great food. Romantic place.

Ukiah Japanese Smokehouse. Wonderful take on Japanese with a bbq vibe. *Not like a traditional bbq restaurant, you just have to try it for the experience.

Y'all may prefer more traditional venues for your anniversary, especially 25th, which is understandable. However, if you're spending a few days in that area, these places are worth checking out.
TheStorm
Ahhhhh. The old Biltmore House Candlelight Christmas Tour...

Many an unsuspecting husband has been sucked into that one before.
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

Yeah... it was anniversary time. Sometimes you do what you got to do, in order to do what you want to do.
Glasswolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah... it was anniversary time. Sometimes you do what you got to do, in order to do what you want to do.
Well it was either that or a cruise. I have had 3 different friends go on cruises in the last month and all 3 (6 counting BF/GF) have tested positive for Covid upon return. Next year we are going to extend our 25th celebration by going to Europe.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

TheStorm
LOL. I had to do it twice, literally 26-27 years apart...

Me talking to wife: Hon, you realize that we've done this before, don't you?

She had actually forgotten that we had... I could tell her exactly what room was coming up next throughout the entire tour... I did enjoy the fact that it was "self-guided" this time, and we quickly made it out of the large starting room before the rest of the herd did, and had a really smooth walk through.
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Great food and great folks. We decided to eat there the first weeek they opened in MHC and have been fans of their food ever since. Have gotten to know both Sandy and Dave as they are co-owners and one or both of them are there every night.

Lots of Garner connections there as a couple of young men that grew up in Garner and graduated from GMHS moved down ther with their families, and the youngest of those two, his daughters and Sandy and Hallock's daughters ( co-owners) are best friends. We always talk about Garner with them as many from here have enjoyed eating there. Give it a try if you are ever in Atlantic Beach. ( We also enjoy lots of other restaurants down there, but Squeeters is our favorite).

So they have a place in Atlantic beach as well?
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Any of y'all ever eaten at Parrott's on 11th in MHC? Wife has mentioned recently that she'd like for us to try it. I've heard mixed reviews.
Tootie4Pack
ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

They started on the Morehead waterfront in the building now occupied by the Ruddy Duck.

Moved over to Atlantic Beach about 5 years later and have been a big success ever since. Their AB place is directly across from the Oceanic Motel.
In summer time , they open at 4:45 pm. Line usually very long at that early time. Good Eating !
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

They started on the Morehead waterfront in the building now occupied by the Ruddy Duck.

Moved over to Atlantic Beach about 5 years later and have been a big success ever since. Their AB place is directly across from the Oceanic Motel.
In summer time , they open at 4:45 pm. Line usually very long at that early time. Good Eating !

Are we talking about the same Angie's? The one on old Garner road.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Any of y'all ever eaten at Parrott's on 11th in MHC? Wife has mentioned recently that she'd like for us to try it. I've heard mixed reviews.

Yes. Multiple times. Always very pleased. It's an annual stop.
Tootie4Pack
ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Are we talking about the same Angie's? The one on old Garner road.
NCSU Pack1.....No, sorry for any confusion. I was talking about Amos Mosquitos,in Atlantic Beach being on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Yes, Angie's is still in Garner and still staying very busy. Open for breakfast and lunch Monday thru Saturday. And still serving delicious country cooking and plentiful servings. I order food there every week for my father to enjoy.
ncsupack1
Got ya
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

How about some recommendations for Biltmore/Asheville. Going in December to celebrate our 25th wedding anniv. Not interested in the brewery's since I stopped drinking but more on the food side.
Red Ginger in DT Asheville. Sit outside by the street. Higher end dim sum type food. Very very good.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I won major points for getting tickets to the Biltmore Christmas tour couple of years ago. During the height of the Downton Abbey phase.
ZAXPACK15
Glasswolf said:

I love Nine Mile. It's Jamaican style bowls. Very unique and delicious. Abeja's House Cafe is a good Mexican "breakfast" place that's a good one as well
3rd generation CALS grad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.