Mail in voting-thoughts?

47,004 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cowboypack02
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Lot of controversy surrounding it. Just curious what you guys think of it.
statefan91
Seems like it's worked well for the military for a while, don't see any problem with it.
GuerrillaPack
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything."
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GoPack2008
It makes plenty of sense during a pandemic.

Doesn't have to be the new normal, and perhaps shouldn't be, but I see no downside for this election, while also making sure in person voting sites are plentiful and safe.

538 podcast had a good episode on this a few weeks ago.
RunsWithWolves26
Considering the postal service can't deliver a letter from one town to the next, I have very little confidence they can deliver a main in ballot. Not to mention, it wouldn't be to hard for anyone to "misplace" ballots from people they think aren't voting for their person and I can see the hanging chats crisis of 2000 looking like child's play.

Now I know, it is "safer " because covid, but it's no different than going to Wal-Mart, Costco, grocery store, etc. Guess it's all about what you want to fit your narrative.
GoPack2008
^i can't remember the last time I had a major issue mailing or receiving anything via USPS. I've had plenty of issues with UPS and Fedex.

I suspect neither of our individual experiences is representative.
Bas2020
Elections at every level will be in courts for years if this happens . Rampant fraud will prevail . If you can't get your rear ended to early vote or vote day of then your a lazy sack. You literally have dozens of possible days to go vote with little to no crowd at all. If anything they should extend voting days and times for elderly etc. Fauci even said people should go vote in person and be fine.
wilmwolf
I don't really care. I'm so over it. Half the country is going to burn down regardless of what happens in November. There's no reason people can't go vote in person. Thousands can protest in the streets, people can go to Trader Joes and Target, they can go to the polls. But it's clear that mail in voting is going to be the point of contention in a few months, so whatever, fight about it, contend it, who gives a ***** I'll be casting my vote at the polling place just like I have every local, state, and federal election since I have been eligible.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Ripper
GoPack2008 said:

^i can't remember the last time I had a major issue mailing or receiving anything via USPS. I've had plenty of issues with UPS and Fedex.

USPS screws up just like every other entity. Quit being a weenie and go vote at your local polling place. Jesus, *** is wrong with people. If you are old and/or comorbid, then get an absentee ballot.
Pacfanweb
Already being done for years anyway.

Let 'em. I bet lots of people will not get theirs to the post office in time
and there will be a lot more that go uncounted than there is fraud.
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't really care. I'm so over it. Half the country is going to burn down regardless of what happens in November. There's no reason people can't go vote in person. Thousands can protest in the streets, people can go to Trader Joes and Target, they can go to the polls. But it's clear that mail in voting is going to be the point of contention in a few months, so whatever, fight about it, contend it, who gives a ***** I'll be casting my vote at the polling place just like I have every local, state, and federal election since I have been eligible.
Did you travel home from college to vote in every local, state, and federal election?
wilmwolf
Yes sir I did. Every single one. Sometimes I've utilized early voting, other times on election day. Never missed one.
FlossyDFlynt
I need someone to explain to me why people who are "scared" or in a high risk group cant get an absentee ballot for voting. That process has worked for years. For that group of people, I think they should be able to get their absentee ballots like any other election year. For everyone else, follow your usual guidelines.

I see mail in voting as a complete disaster. Not because I dont think it can work, but the stigma that will come along with it. It will make 2000 look like childs play. Neither side will accept the results no matter what they are. To me, its a perfect example of government making something needlessly complicated.
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

Yes sir I did. Every single one. Sometimes I've utilized early voting, other times on election day. Never missed one.

Cool cool. Did you have a car? Did you work to put yourself through school? Just trying to understand your situation and how that may not be applicable to every person in the State. But I'm glad you've done a great job of your civic duty!
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

I need someone to explain to me why people who are "scared" or in a high risk group cant get an absentee ballot for voting. That process has worked for years. For that group of people, I think they should be able to get their absentee ballots like any other election year. For everyone else, follow your usual guidelines.

I see mail in voting as a complete disaster. Not because I dont think it can work, but the stigma that will come along with it. It will make 2000 look like childs play. Neither side will accept the results no matter what they are. To me, its a perfect example of government making something needlessly complicated.

That's basically what's happening in most States. They are letting you get absentee ballots without an excuse for not voting in person. There are still States where Covid is not an acceptable excuse, though I think most are looking to change it.

Every State does it differently but pretty much all are making it available for people to vote absentee by mail.
IseWolf22
Physical polling places should be open. But it's going to be a mess this year due to lack of volunteers. Most poll workers are retired volunteers.
At risk groups should be able to vote absentee or by mail. But there shouldn't be a lot of scrutiny on what constitutes an at risk person. If someone doesn't feel safe just let them vote by mail.
ncsupack1
My thoughts...will do nothing but continue the divide. Nether side will except the results and that worries me...
wilmwolf
statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Cool cool. Did you have a car? Did you work to put yourself through school? Just trying to understand your situation and how that may not be applicable to every person in the State. But I'm glad you've done a great job of your civic duty!

Yes I had a car. Yes I worked during school. I'm not sure why my situation twenty years ago would need to be applicable to everyone in the state, nor have I tried to apply my situation to everyone in the state. I stated my opinion, and what I was going to do. Everyone else can do whatever they want, it remains a free country. If people are comfortable with their hypocritical stance on this issue, that's fine by me.
lumberpack5
Over a decade ago the postal service was attacked by Republicans in Congress who wanted to do away with it in favor of privatization.

To do that they passed a bill that made the postal service pre-fund their retirement system - an outrageous burden not placed on any other entity in the United States.

The goal of privatization is to make money for investors by closing rural post offices and reducing delivery. The negative impact falls on the poor and the spatially constrained.

Absentee voting is older than most of the people posting here. You don't even need to use the mail, just request the ballot, fill the damn thing out and take it back the board of elections. I have better things to do than stand in line for 4 hours to vote.

What is somewhat new is sending a voting ballot request form to voters and in a few places actually sending a ballot to voters.

Forcing people to go to a polling place and stand in line is just a means to encourage casual voters not to vote.

This bull **** about not knowing an outcome is predicated on the media calling elections on election night based on preliminary numbers and Americans being too stupid to know the difference.

People lie to exit pollers now and large fluctations in turnout make it difficult for old hands to know the outcome.

I used to work with old ladies who could tell you the outcome of an election based on the turnout at a certain time of day.

Just request your ballot, fill the damn thing out and drop it off at the BOE
I like the athletic type
statefan91
It's weird to hear so much backlash against Absentee voting and vote by mail.

I got the below in the mail, completely unsolicited by the Trump campaign. If he's so concerned with vote by mail, why are they sending these out? It literally had an Absentee Request application contained within.

RunsWithWolves26
I couldn't give two ****s less who anyone supports. I do not and never will support mail in ballots. Your ass can go to the grocery store, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, out to eat, etc. Your ass can go vote. Remember, it's all about the magical mask. In no way, shape, or form to I believe for one second that a company that is bankrupt can figure out how to deliver ballots the correct way.
statefan91
USPS isn't a company, and their financial difficulties are due in large part due to an arbitrary law passed that only applies to USPS

" In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation"

https://ips-dc.org/how-congress-manufactured-a-postal-crisis-and-how-to-fix-it/
RunsWithWolves26
Good for them. Again, never will support mail in voting. This ain't a right or left political thing for me like most. Go vote either early or on election day or don't vote at all.
PackBacker07
I know this is a weird year and folks are nervous about turnout, mail-in, etc because of COVID, but slightly off topic, moving forward I would be a proponent of making Election Day a federal holiday. Thoughts on that?
packgrad
I don't think making Election Day a federal holiday does anything really. Most small businesses don't observe all of the federal holidays as it is. This will just be another federal employee taxpayer funded vacation day.

There is plenty of time to vote for those that want to. The "need" for excessive mail in voting is just the latest want to be victims charade for today's victim seeking society.
Steve Williams
Staff
All I know is that if my mail service in Wake Forest is any indication, mail in voting could be a problem.
acslater1344
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Good for them. Again, never will support mail in voting. This ain't a right or left political thing for me like most. Go vote either early or on election day or don't vote at all.

Yeah, especially military personnel overseas. HATE how we let them vote by mail. What a disgrace!! (/sarcasm)
FlossyDFlynt
To clarify my earlier post, I think absentee balloting is fine. You fill out an application form, it gets approved, a ballot is sent to you, you fill it out and send it back. Zero issue with this.

I do have an issue with just sending out ballots like their are the census paperwork. We all see how efficient the census is, and using a similar process for elections? Hard pass
wilmwolf
Very clearly this discussion isn't about the people that normally vote by mail via absentee ballot, like those military people overseas, college students, or my 95 year old grandmother. There's nothing wrong with the people that have to vote that way, for whatever reason. The discussion since basically the day Covid started was that voting by mail should be the primary form of voting. The question is should everyone vote that way out of some sort of safety concerns. I don't know what everyone else's experiences are, but the person in my social media circle that has been arguing about this issue for months because she doesn't feel safe going to the polls also had no problem going to the courthouse and protesting every afternoon for several weeks, didn't have a problem taking her family on a vacation to the mountains last month, and doesn't have a problem of going to the store or getting take out. That is hypocrisy of the highest order, and that is what I have a problem with. I don't care if you vote by mail, or if everyone votes by mail, but don't claim you're afraid of going to the polls because of the virus as some sort of justification.
waynecountywolf
GoPack2008 said:

Yes, they are. Post from 2018 I made on another site:
"USPS sucks.
We mail out approx. 300 Christmas cards every year the day after Thanksgiving.
Last year we discovered several did not receive their card, same goes for this year. One mail carrier confirmed a bag of mail was "lost" last year.This year we mailed from a different local office.
Difficult to tell exactly how many were lost, we only know about the ones who told us hey never received their card."

First thing I learned/was instructed working as a government contractor in 2004 was DO NOT use USPS if I want to get paid use FedEx or UPS. They have only gotten worse,now.
Mail in voting will not work.
Keep the polls open longer-I am fine with that.
I am fine with absentee voting but mail in and absentee voting are not the same bird.
What happens whne a ballot is never delivered? What if it goes to wrong address and someone else fills the ballot out?
What about ballots/mail in the trash?
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-postal-worker-mail-dumped-garbage-20170428-story.html

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/11/12/wrigleyville-trash-dumping/

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/postal-worker-fired-for-throwing-out-mail-in-shorewood
packgrad
It's just mind boggling to me how people now think the USPS is efficiently ran and dependable because Trump questions their ability to handle mail in voting. TDS is out of control. Literally everything he says they will protest and say the opposite. Lunacy.
statefan91
packgrad said:

It's just mind boggling to me how people now think the USPS is efficiently ran and dependable because Trump questions their ability to handle mail in voting. TDS is out of control. Literally everything he says they will protest and say the opposite. Lunacy.
Has there been much "TDS" in this thread?

Personally i'm not worried about the USPS ability to get my absentee ballot in. If I am, I can go online very easily with NCBOE and check on my ballots return status: https://www.ncsbe.gov/Voters/Voter-Tools

Use Voter Tools to Find:

Information about your ballot:
PackBacker07
I don't believe Trump has been mentioned at all in this thread, other than a GOP mailer?
packgrad
The only reason it's an issue is because of Trumps comments. But we can pretend it isn't if that makes you all feel better.
Pacfanweb
Steve Williams said:

All I know is that if my mail service in Wake Forest is any indication, mail in voting could be a problem.
True, that's where I live and it's....sketchy, to say the least.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.