Coronavirus

2,006,718 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Wayland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC redid their stats page. We now have Deaths by Date of Death! Also further breakdown into age. We get a 75+ category now.

We will see where the 25-30 DHHS unreported deaths get put.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

NC redid their stats page. We now have Deaths by Date of Death!

This is very good news. The change in formatting may take me a little longer to input the data for cases and deaths, but it does give us an idea as to the lag in reporting for deaths. For example, NC reported 30 new deaths yesterday, but it appears only 6 of those 30 are from 5/18.
Wayland
Will be interesting to track how those deaths lag. Getting the data setup to track changes is going to take a little time.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Will be interesting to track how those deaths lag. Getting the data setup to track changes is going to take a little time.
I have updated the spreadsheet and have entered the current death by date information. I will have the first update showing lags today, after the data is updated on the site. I assume they will be updating at 11am, but based on the new format, they could make it more real-time (not holding my breath). I am also looking at the underlying code (since they are using Tableau and placing it using an iFrame) to see I can automatically feed the data into the spreadsheet. I will play around with that tonight.
ZAXPACK15
Daviewolf83 said:

If you do not read anything else today, please read the following article. It details the 2006 origins of the lock-down strategy employed to fight the coronavirus. It is fascinating to understand that the origin of the strategy is a school project conducted by the 14 year old daughter of a scientist. The article includes information on the push-back the strategy received at the time. You will definitely recognize the issues raised by many smart people.

The author writes the following:

"What's truly surprising is just how recent the theory behind lockdown and forced distancing actually is. So far as anyone can tell, the intellectual machinery that made this mess was invented 14 years ago, and not by epidemiologists but by computer-simulation modelers. It was adopted not by experienced doctors they warned ferociously against it but by politicians."

The 2006 Origins of the Lock-down Idea
I appreciate the thoroughness of this piece and links to source material. I echo Daviewolf, y'all should read this one.
3rd generation CALS grad
metcalfmafia
My friend lives in Tennessee and went out to eat for the first time in two months last night at a sports bar.

Folks had to sit at every other table...waitresses wore masks, but customers did not...was not able to get a draft Miller Lite due to Miller Lite converting most keg operations to hand sanitizer so he he had to settle for a draft Bud Light (yuck).

Oh what I would do to watch a game at a bar right now.
wilmwolf
Daviewolf83 said:

If you do not read anything else today, please read the following article. It details the 2006 origins of the lock-down strategy employed to fight the coronavirus. It is fascinating to understand that the origin of the strategy is a school project conducted by the 14 year old daughter of a scientist. The article includes information on the push-back the strategy received at the time. You will definitely recognize the issues raised by many smart people.

"What's truly surprising is just how recent the theory behind lockdown and forced distancing actually is. So far as anyone can tell, the intellectual machinery that made this mess was invented 14 years ago, and not by epidemiologists but by computer-simulation modelers. It was adopted not by experienced doctors they warned ferociously against it but by politicians."

Damn. I'd share this on social media, but I don't feel like getting yelled at over the internet today. Fascinating.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

5/15/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

400 Deaths are now Congregate (+19)
54 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+26 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

187 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
454 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+20)

122 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+1)

WRAL is at 654 (+2) and NandO is at 661 deaths

622 positive cases over 12279 new tests. 5.1% positive rate.

DHHS is caught up to media as of this morning. Right after DHHS posted media increased totals.

Highest 2 day total of reported cases, but also third straight day over 8000 tests over 12k today! (but most of this data is lagged). Percent positive is still within a reasonable range.

Positive that hospitalizations are still stable/slightly below where they have been at their peak 2 weeks ago. While this data is incomplete, take it for its trend value (since this week has had a relatively high reporting hospital rate at over 90%.. 94% today).

Apparently Chatham County added 13 death as part of today's total, going from 11 to 24 deaths in the county. Will be interesting to see where that backlog came from.
5/16/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

407 Deaths are now Congregate (+7)
53 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (-1)
+11 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

192 Deaths assumed General Population (+5)
460 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+6)

128 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+6)

WRAL is at 661 (+2) and NandO is at 675 deaths

853 positive cases over 7039 new tests. 12.1% positive rate.

High number of cases, high positives today! Kind of balances out yesterday's low positive %. Around 200 of those cases out of congregate facilities.
DHHS falling behind media on numbers of deaths.
5/17/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

413 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
53 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (0)
+7 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

193 Deaths assumed General Population (+1)
466 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+6)

129 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+1)

WRAL is at 667 (+2) and NandO is at 684 deaths

530 positive cases over 10358 new tests. 5.1% positive rate.

DHHS still lagging.
Despite over 500 new cases today, 5.1% is a decently low rate.
5/18/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

415 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
53 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (0)
+2 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

193 Deaths assumed General Population (+0)
468 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+2)

130 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+1)

WRAL is at 674 (+2) and NandO is at 691 deaths

511 positive cases over 6811 new tests. 7.5% positive rate.

Would like to see positive cases lower. Would also like to see the hospitalization number come down, but I still feel we need a much better breakdown on what that number is. ICU vs non-ICU. New admits vs recovered cases....but it is what it is.

Also expect a HUGE dump tomorrow as deaths are lagging at a ridiculous pace at the moment.

5/19/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

433 Deaths are now Congregate (+18)
54 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (1)
+21 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

195 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
487 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+19)

133 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+3)

WRAL is at 687 (+2) and NandO is at 709

422 positive cases over 9253 new tests. 4.7% positive rate.

All the lagging congregate deaths.

A little concerned on the hospitalizations, not too though. Would love to see where those cases are originating, if it is just congregate cases moving to hospitals. What is the ICU numbers? Who is going in and out?

Since listed as separate categories on April 19th.
Per Day Average Death by Location:
Congregate: 12.1
Unknown : 1.2
General: 3.5
DHHS has taken down their morning update. Will change numbers if they update differently.
5/19/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am) <- Revised based on 2pm for Daily total

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

439 Deaths are now Congregate (+24)
56 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+3)
+30 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

196 Deaths assumed General Population (+3)
495 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+27)

130 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (0)

WRAL is at 687 (+2) and NandO is at 719

422 positive cases over 9253 new tests. 4.7% positive rate. <- 11am
677 positive cases over 9253 new tests. 7.3% positive rate. <- 2pm

All the lagging congregate deaths. Based on NandO death totals, counties posting lag numbers all over.

A little concerned on the hospitalizations, not too though. Would love to see where those cases are originating, if it is just congregate cases moving to hospitals. What is the ICU numbers? Who is going in and out?

Since listed as separate categories on April 19th.
Per Day Average Death by Location:
Congregate: 12.3
Unknown : 1.2
General: 3.5

5/20/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

446 Deaths are now Congregate (+7)
56 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+11 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

200 Deaths assumed General Population (+4)
502 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+7)

135 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+5)

WRAL is at 718 (+2) and NandO is at 726

422 positive cases over 12,595 new tests. 3.6% positive rate. (The change to the total day over day is is 12,595 but State lists 10,122 tests today. In fact the whole number of tests reported each day by day is now completely different on their site)

Not sure there is much more reason for this anymore with the improvements in the dashboard. For me it is now just an exercise I do to digest the daily data.

Wayland
Interesting if you go back to the 7 day averages of 'Day of Reported Deaths' the death peak in NC is around 4/27/2020, but using DHHS Day of Death, the peak was over a week earlier sometime between 4/15-4/18. The lag really needs to be taken into account when consuming this data.
Steve Videtich
wilmwolf80 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Damn. I'd share this on social media, but I don't feel like getting yelled at over the internet today. Fascinating.

I'm like you. Have a set of people I send things like this to, but don't dare post it socially. Ha
Wayland
Public playgrounds, movie theaters, museums, bowling alleys, bars and nightclubs will remain closed... ouch.

Pools can open at 50% capacity. They need to get the actual order posted.

The media is really trying to probe with panic questions.
packgrad
Wayland said:

Bars and gyms staying closed... ouch.

Pools can open at 50% capacity. They need to get the actual order posted.

Ridiculous.
statefan91
Interested in the full order - Charlotte has a lot of breweries that have food on site but might not be restaurants technically
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Interested in the full order - Charlotte has a lot of breweries that have food on site but might not be restaurants technically

Was just having conversation about how they handle that. Also interested.
Daviewolf83
Gyms not opening in NC is huge. My son has teammates in South Carolina and Georgia who are able to go to gyms now and workout. I guess I need to send him to one of those states to live, since gyms in NC will not open for another five weeks (this includes bars too).
Td21pack
Roy Cooper sucks
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

Gyms not opening in NC is huge. My son has teammates in South Carolina and Georgia who are able to go to gyms now and workout. I guess I need to send him to one of those states to live, since gyms in NC will not open for another five weeks (this includes bars too).

It says he can make modifications at any time. Even knowing that, if I'm a bar owner, gym owner, etc, I say **** Cooper and open anyway.
metcalfmafia
So. Stupid.
RunsWithWolves26
How the hell NC voted someone like Roy dumbass Cooper into office I will never understand.
Wayland
packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

It says he can make modifications at any time. Even knowing that, if I'm a bar owner, gym owner, etc, I say **** Cooper and open anyway.
People need to push back. We are adults and should be able to make choices. I am not a gym guy, but you allow salons to open. So haircuts are more important than physical health?
packgrad
I read this article on Fox and thought for sure gyms would be opening.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces
Wayland
packgrad said:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces
It isn't like Cooper is making these decision on his own. Based on how he talks in the press conferences, I am not sure he can comprehend the data on any real level.
DrummerboyWolf
packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Screw Governor Cooper. We need to open up! I hope Planet Fitness and the rest give him a big FU and do open.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
wilmwolf
It's funny, one of my friends who was very over the top freaked out when this started had done a 180 this afternoon because of the gym thing. We actually got into a fight a month ago when I tried to show him some numbers to get him to relax a little (in fairness to him, he is a new father, and was very concerned about his child, which I understand) but today was the straw that broke the camel's back I guess. He's a big gym rat, and he's spent the last ten minutes ranting in texts about how messed up it is that he can't go to the gym but hundreds of people can go to Walmart. I think the governor has completely lost control of the situation now.
wilmwolf
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

It isn't like Cooper is making these decision on his own. Based on how he talks in the press conferences, I am not sure he can comprehend the data on any real level.

I'm guessing that BA from UNCCH didn't include many statistics or science classes.
TopsailWolf
No kidding. He may be a half level above Trump as an effective communicator but both are so poor. It's a grind to listen to.
Colonel Armstrong
Were entertainment venues not originally supposed to be part of phase 2??

statefan91
King Leary said:

Were entertainment venues not originally supposed to be part of phase 2??

I don't think they ever were. I am a huge movie theatre fan and have always been looking to July before anything reopens unfortunately
Wayland
Cooper left additional restrictions in because of that jump in cases last weekend was 'concerning'. It is obvious they are now fudging case numbers anyway. There is no longer any randomness to their data and it is being grouped for narrative.

It was suspect the other day when they posted new cases and overall tests. Then took it down, only to later report more new cases but no additional tests.

Even the numbers at today's briefing didn't align with the morning update which they have done EVERY single briefing until today.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Cooper left additional restrictions in because of that jump in cases last weekend was 'concerning'. It is obvious they are now fudging case numbers anyway. There is no longer any randomness to their data and it is being grouped for narrative.

It was suspect the other day when they posted new cases and overall tests. Then took it down, only to later report more new cases but no additional tests.

Even the numbers at today's briefing didn't align with the morning update which they have done EVERY single briefing until today.
We know the jump in cases over the weekend included cases that were over a week old (over 200 cases) and cases from the middle of the week. It was a data dump of cases.
Wayland
Right, I contend they did that to create the illusion of a peak to walk down from.

We can see from their own site that deaths peaked a month ago. It is just a slow decline due to plateau. And the fact they are overcoding LTC deaths that are with COVID and not from COVID.
82TxPackFan
Time for the citizens of NC to give this governor the finger & open up their businesses.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Right, I contend they did that to create the illusion of a peak to walk down from.

We can see from their own site that deaths peaked a month ago. It is just a slow decline due to plateau. And the fact they are overcoding LTC deaths that are with COVID and not from COVID.
Here's the latest case data, showing cases by the date the specimen was taken and the date the data was released to the public. It is a good way of seeing the lags in the data. As I pointed out earlier, the 1,,000+ cases over the weekend was a massive data dump that included data from over 10 days prior.

PossumJenkins
I will take great joy in voting Roy's dumbass out this fall
ncsualum05
Why do this? Unfortunately seems a lot of the Democratic governors are drunk on power. It's tyranny at this point. I encourage everyone to do what they damn well please. Open up your business, protest, call your local leaders, and get your ass out to vote against Pooper in Nov. hopefully this last straw will bury that son of a *****. I'm sorry but I'm really angry.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.