Coronavirus

2,005,284 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Werewolf
Wayland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wolfpackin24 said:

Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

I think Wesley has about 18, but that is a 500 percent increase in ICU cases in 3 days. 2 dead already. Our hospital has many more beds, but if Wesley filled up that fast, they'll fill ours up pretty quickly. It just chafes my ass when I leave the hospital after watching this virus destroy lives and destroy families to read nonsense about hysteria, politics, and overreaction. How many have to die before it becomes a real problem and one that people should heed the pleas, advice, and warnings of those who see it everyday? It's flabbergasting. Sorry to rant, but I just find it so ridiculous. I've lost a shtload of money, income, and I've seen my friends lose businesses, but there are outcomes worse than that, so I'm sensitive to those who are worried or angry about that aspect of this pandemic. But there are worse things you could lose, and we're simply trying to limit how often people lose their loved ones.

For some on here, it will only be serious and not political, or a hoax, or whatever else when they have someone they are close to die. At that point, it will be to late to be outraged or upset about it. If you don't take it seriously when it isn't affecting your loved ones at the moment, don't take it seriously when it does.
Same could be said regarding a variety of different topics. Imagine working in the hospitals on the south side of Chicago that are just a revolving door of gun shot victims. People die all the time and from a variety of different reasons. I am not saying that this virus isn't serious but I am not going to completely shut my life down because of it. (Or at least I wasn't until I was forced to). The issue is we weren't prepared and hospitals are overwhelmed, not the fact that the virus kills people.

Furthermore, if you have a history of depression and suicide in your family as I do, I am sure you would worry a lot more about how these extreme measures we are forcing people to take are affecting folks mental health. Let's not lose site of the collateral damage we are causing by virtually shutting down the country.

Oh I agree there will certainly be collateral damage, but I suspect more would die of this virus than will die of the collateral damage. One way or the other we have to try to limit the death toll. The death toll for collateral damage will pale in comparison to this virus, especially if we just everybody continue to go about their business unchanged. You might not let it shut down your life, but you may let it take your life. And yes people are dying every day from one tragedy or another, but there are already measures to try to limit those deaths (we can argue effectiveness), and those deaths related to covid are IN ADDITION to those every day deaths. So measures have been taken, and yes they're drastic, but damn if they're not necessary. So I find the "people are dying every day" arguement to be hollow. Just let more die so you don't have to shut your life down? That sounds a little ridiculous? I'm really not trying to be a tailhole, so I hope I'm not angering anyone. This just hits really close to home for me.
Not angering me, and I understand your viewpoint as well. I think we are all very frustrated at this point with the entire situation because it has the grips on everyone. It just stinks because had we been proactive about this rather than reactive, maybe we aren't in the situation we are currently in.

The thing is, we still aren't being proactive. Especially in states like NC where we could still make great progress with more accessible testing and tracing. The plan is just to sit at home and hope it goes away.
Mormad
On the surface that sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow double masks, esp if N95. I'll see what I can find out for you.
packgrad
cowboypack02 said:

When my wife came home from the hospital this morning she told me that they were requiring everyone to wear a surgical mask that was in the hospital and that she had to drop it off in a box to be reused on the way out. She was also told that she wasn't allowed to wear her own mask underneath the mask that she was provided, even though what the hospital is providing is being reused. That's damn crazy and just asking for problems. I've tried to send her to work with a respirator or even just the smaller dust mask (n95) that i keep at the shop but she has been told she wasn't allowed.

That sounds freaking nuts. Would love to hear their logic if you ever find out.
griff17matt
Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

I think Wesley has about 18, but that is a 500 percent increase in ICU cases in 3 days. 2 dead already. Our hospital has many more beds, but if Wesley filled up that fast, they'll fill ours up pretty quickly. It just chafes my ass when I leave the hospital after watching this virus destroy lives and destroy families to read nonsense about hysteria, politics, and overreaction. How many have to die before it becomes a real problem and one that people should heed the pleas, advice, and warnings of those who see it everyday? It's flabbergasting. Sorry to rant, but I just find it so ridiculous. I've lost a shtload of money, income, and I've seen my friends lose businesses, but there are outcomes worse than that, so I'm sensitive to those who are worried or angry about that aspect of this pandemic. But there are worse things you could lose, and we're simply trying to limit how often people lose their loved ones.

For some on here, it will only be serious and not political, or a hoax, or whatever else when they have someone they are close to die. At that point, it will be to late to be outraged or upset about it. If you don't take it seriously when it isn't affecting your loved ones at the moment, don't take it seriously when it does.
Same could be said regarding a variety of different topics. Imagine working in the hospitals on the south side of Chicago that are just a revolving door of gun shot victims. People die all the time and from a variety of different reasons. I am not saying that this virus isn't serious but I am not going to completely shut my life down because of it. (Or at least I wasn't until I was forced to). The issue is we weren't prepared and hospitals are overwhelmed, not the fact that the virus kills people.

Furthermore, if you have a history of depression and suicide in your family as I do, I am sure you would worry a lot more about how these extreme measures we are forcing people to take are affecting folks mental health. Let's not lose site of the collateral damage we are causing by virtually shutting down the country.

Oh I agree there will certainly be collateral damage, but I suspect more would die of this virus than will die of the collateral damage. One way or the other we have to try to limit the death toll. The death toll for collateral damage will pale in comparison to this virus, especially if we just everybody continue to go about their business unchanged. You might not let it shut down your life, but you may let it take your life. And yes people are dying every day from one tragedy or another, but there are already measures to try to limit those deaths (we can argue effectiveness), and those deaths related to covid are IN ADDITION to those every day deaths. So measures have been taken, and yes they're drastic, but damn if they're not necessary. So I find the "people are dying every day" arguement to be hollow. Just let more die so you don't have to shut your life down? That sounds a little ridiculous? I'm really not trying to be a tailhole, so I hope I'm not angering anyone. This just hits really close to home for me.

And I'm sure the single mother of 3 who lost her waitress job finds your "at least you'll sorta be alive" argument hollow as she gets kicked out of her house and can't put food on the table while you keep collecting that check, however well earned it may be. There are many facets to this and yes the human life that will be taken by this virus should be limited in any way possible. But you can't just shut down the country and peoples ability to provide for their families so you can protect those that are generally predisposed to succumbing to this virus. You just can't. If you save 2 million lives and completely ruin 3 generations for 20 million, which is worse? That's not a decision I want to make on my own, but it can't just be dismissed because of the field you're in and the cases you see.

With all that said, thank you for all you're doing to combat this and I hope this whole episode is behind us sooner rather than later.
Everpack
griff17matt said:

Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

And I'm sure the single mother of 3 who lost her waitress job finds your "at least you'll sorta be alive" argument hollow as she gets kicked out of her house and can't put food on the table while you keep collecting that check, however well earned it may be. There are many facets to this and yes the human life that will be taken by this virus should be limited in any way possible. But you can't just shut down the country and peoples ability to provide for their families so you can protect those that are generally predisposed to succumbing to this virus. You just can't. If you save 2 million lives and completely ruin 3 generations for 20 million, which is worse? That's not a decision I want to make on my own, but it can't just be dismissed because of the field you're in and the cases you see.

With all that said, thank you for all you're doing to combat this and I hope this whole episode is behind us sooner rather than later.

That's the part I struggle to wrap my head around. What is the tipping point of saving lives from the virus and destroying our way of life for a generation? I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I lost my grandmother to complications from the flu in early March. Her poor health required her to live with an aunt. My grandmother was home bound other than doctor visits. She still got the flu and she died. It sucks, but we're all headed that way from the day we're born. Maybe it's a recency bias for me with her death, but I just can't help but feel like we're burning down the forest to keep from selectively logging it.
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

This just got very real for me. My wife and I are young and healthy enough that we were worried about our parents, but not really ourselves.

Well she's pregnant. We're really, really happy. Also really scared about what an infection could do this early in the pregnancy. She's considered an essential worker so she can't quarantine at home unless she wants to quit. We don't really know what to do at this point other than to be exceedingly careful.
Congrats Ise on the upcoming baby. It was the happiest day of my life when I found out that i was gonna be a father.

I can't tell you what you or your wife should do, but we are in the same situation with my wife being pregnant and an nurse so she is essential, and I can tell you the conversation that we had just this morning. I told her that if she decided to walk away from her job until after everything blows over or she gave birth I would fully support her decision and we would figure out how to make things work. I also told her that it was her decision at the end of the day and if she wanted to continue to work i supported that as well. Its a tough situation for sure all the way around.

If you want to talk it through with someone who is in the same situation shoot me a message.
Thank you.

This is so new. We are still trying to talk about what the current situation needs for us.

Prayers for you and your wife to stay healthy.
Mormad
Totally understand your argument, and I'm sensitive to it. But there can be assistance for such situations, and that's a situation that is likely temporary. The better we control the spread, the shorter that situation potentially lasts. For everybody. At least that's my hope.

The other side of that argument is that, if Mom continues to work and is exposed and gives it to her children and one dies, then that's even worse I presume than losing her job temporarily. And some would scream not enough was done to protect against that scenario.

The common misperception that the young and healthy will be ok is horsesht. There's a 30 yo previously healthy young woman intubated in our unit. 2 babies are dead. Yes, most people get mild disease and recover thank God, but nobody should simply assume they or anybody else will be so fortunate. That's reality.

I'll continue to hope for good luck to all my wolfpack brethren here. Stay safe and healthy, all of you.
Mormad
Everpack said:

griff17matt said:

Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

That's the part I struggle to wrap my head around. What is the tipping point of saving lives from the virus and destroying our way of life for a generation? I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I lost my grandmother to complications from the flu in early March. Her poor health required her to live with an aunt. My grandmother was home bound other than doctor visits. She still got the flu and she died. It sucks, but we're all headed that way from the day we're born. Maybe it's a recency bias for me with her death, but I just can't help but feel like we're burning down the forest to keep from selectively logging it.

That's the problem my brother, this virus doesn't selectively log. Babies, young and healthy, my peers...it doesn't care.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Everpack said:

griff17matt said:

Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

That's the problem my brother, this virus doesn't selectively log. Babies, young and healthy, my peers...it doesn't care.
And according to the CDC they estimate 480 children died in the US in the 2018-2019 flu season, including 266 under 4 (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html). Does the flu selectively log any more than corona?

It all sucks and every death is tragic, but I am not going to fault anyone for trying to have an open discussion about the greater balance and how we can do the most to minimize the loss of life and yet try and continue living.
Every death is tragic, but none of this is occurring in a vacuum.
PackMom
Best wishes to you all with the new little ones on the way! Praying you all stay safe and healthy!
packgrad
Statistically the virus is deadly to certain groups. The outliers are babies, young, and healthy.
packgrad
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

This just got very real for me. My wife and I are young and healthy enough that we were worried about our parents, but not really ourselves.

Well she's pregnant. We're really, really happy. Also really scared about what an infection could do this early in the pregnancy. She's considered an essential worker so she can't quarantine at home unless she wants to quit. We don't really know what to do at this point other than to be exceedingly careful.
Congrats Ise on the upcoming baby. It was the happiest day of my life when I found out that i was gonna be a father.

I can't tell you what you or your wife should do, but we are in the same situation with my wife being pregnant and an nurse so she is essential, and I can tell you the conversation that we had just this morning. I told her that if she decided to walk away from her job until after everything blows over or she gave birth I would fully support her decision and we would figure out how to make things work. I also told her that it was her decision at the end of the day and if she wanted to continue to work i supported that as well. Its a tough situation for sure all the way around.

If you want to talk it through with someone who is in the same situation shoot me a message.
Thank you.

This is so new. We are still trying to talk about what the current situation needs for us.

Prayers for you and your wife to stay healthy.
Same for you my friend
Mormad
It's interesting, I actually think the flu is less selective. That said, this isn't the flu. I haven't seen the flu do this to NY City or fill my ICU. This doesn't replace the flu. The flu is still gonna come back. The death rate appears higher for covid based on what we know right now. So we simply can't let covid reach flu numbers because of that. And, if the unlikely were to happen and covid claimed your kid or mine, we wouldn't give a flying fck about selectively or probability. I do totally agree that we should try to limit exposure and yet try to limit devastation of the economy. Again, we can argue effectiveness and we'd likely agree, but right now I'm not sure from the trenches that I see a better solution than stay at home and avoid exposure while trying to pray for assistance and a quick victory over covid. That's likely where you and I would differ. Don't know. But look man, I'm a neurosurgeon who's not allowed to do elective surgery and that's where I make my living. I've lost a third of my nut. I'm lucky that I'm starting at a different point than many, but I've lost too. I get the economic discussion and I welcome it. I'm not arguing it is not huge because it's killing me, and i poopooed this whole covid crap until the last 2 weeks. My perspective has totally reversed, so I'm here just to offer a perspective that isn't media or politically driven and comes from the heart based on what I'm hearing and seeing from those of my peers who are primarily dealing with this awful situation.
PossumJenkins
Outliers or not...the conversations need to start happening as to when that real tipping point is...Mormad I don't think there's a person on here who doesn't respect what you do and appreciate your perspective from the front lines. But i don't think the economy situation will be temporary or the type of assistance that is needed will be available to be given. The death numbers are staggering. But 10 million job loses in 2 weeks is a staggering number as well. And that's not everyone who has or for that matter will lose their job. A 30% unemployment rate is a possibility. That's greater than the Great Depression. And will happen over a matter of weeks. That's also nothing we have ever seen before.

I, as well as I'm sure every other single person on here, don't want to die. But i also understand one day I'm going to. I would rather do it fighting for a better life and it be shorter than living longer in a deplorable situation. That's just me. I realize that might not be everyone and we share this planet.

I realize it's not and easy discussion and there's no one or straightforward answer. But it needs to start. I also realize for the short term, staying at home and trying to keep as many safe as possible is what "fighting" looks like at the moment. But I'm also fighting each day to keep my employees employed...and as difficult as it is, that's not going to be an option anymore. Millions dead is a tragedy...but 10's of millions in poverty with no hope of escape for decades is also a tragedy. It's not a black and white answer...but it's a reality that has to be dealt with that isn't as simple as "stay at home".

Our very way of life is being threatened both from a health and economic standpoint...not to get too dramatic...but capitalism can't survive this. At what point does it collapse and communism and socialism (while still being affected but better able to withstand this disease) take over the world. That is truly scary.
cowboypack02
I know everyone gets uptight when politics get brought into this...but parts of our government have made this a political thing:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/with-virus-crisis-raging-pelosi-schiff-ramp-up-new-trump-investigations
Ground_Chuck
cowboypack02 said:

I know everyone gets uptight when politics get brought into this...but parts of our government have made this a political thing:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/with-virus-crisis-raging-pelosi-schiff-ramp-up-new-trump-investigations

Everything in government is political. It's political to investigate and political to not investigate.
cowboypack02
Ground_Chuck said:

cowboypack02 said:

Everything in government is political. It's political to investigate and political to not investigate.
Or the government could attempt to work together until we actually open back up the economy and they decide what they want to do from there. I think its pretty damn tone death of the democrats to go ahead and form a committee for this while folks cant even go to work yet.
PackBacker07
cowboypack02 said:

Government by nature is political. Is it political for POTUS stand behind a podium every night and play to his base, and then immediately be corrected by actual doctors? Is it political for POTUS to say governors need to be nice to him? To not call back the governor of Washington? I say this is just not the goings-on linked.

I would like if just the professionals would meddle in this crisis, but I am not sure that is the way the game works.
ciscopack
S. Korea had their 1st case 1 day before the US had it's 1st case. We are 6 times larger than S. Korea. 71.7 people per 100,000 have CV-19 in the US and 19.3 per 100,000 people have it in S. Korea. 1.7 per 100,000 have died to date in the US and .3 per 100,000 have died in S. Korea. They took their medicine early.....masks, social distancing, etc.

CV Map
Ground_Chuck
cowboypack02 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

cowboypack02 said:

Or the government could attempt to work together until we actually open back up the economy and they decide what they want to do from there. I think its pretty damn tone death of the democrats to go ahead and form a committee for this while folks cant even go to work yet.

The government has passed 3 trillion dollars worth of relief. They've worked together as much as anyone can hope.

BP Cox
Staff
NC State doing their part...

https://www.wnct.com/news/north-carolina/nc-state-university-manufacturing-material-to-make-up-to-500000-surgical-masks-per-day/
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
ciscopack
Ground_Chuck said:

cowboypack02 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

cowboypack02 said:

The government has passed 3 trillion dollars worth of relief. They've worked together as much as anyone can hope.

It doesn't make any difference which side of that you talk about either.....~50% is relief and ~50% is fluff. I know that's the way it always is but I wonder when that started getting out of hand? I guess fluff to one is not fluff to another but I see fluff on both sides that ain't relief. I guess a lot of the relief will be stolen too?
packgrad
cowboypack02 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

cowboypack02 said:

It is very tone deaf. It's why I think they are going to get raked over the coals next election, recession or no recession. There is no desire to work together. Only to destroy their singular enemy.
RunsWithWolves26
So far, this press conference has been hard to listen to and follow. Trump made sure to fall for the oversight question and turn it into poll numbers. Where in the world is Dr. Berx and Dr. Fauci today??? Lord knows we need to hear from both of them
RunsWithWolves26
Cuomo said today is was "likely" the apex would be on the shorter side of the 7-21 days out. That would be good news.
Mtn Cur
PossumJenkins said:

I said it earlier over a week ago but it got deleted because that flat earth fruit loop hijacked it and tied to some new world order crap, but at what point do you let 10-20% of the world's population die so the remaining 80-90% can prosper? I'm not sure that the path we're taking now of letting 90 % suffer economically so only a small fraction dies is the right choice. Nature has a way of thinning the herd when the herd becomes overpopulated and right now the human race is over populated
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

So far, this press conference has been hard to listen to and follow. Trump made sure to fall for the oversight question and turn it into poll numbers. Where in the world is Dr. Berx and Dr. Fauci today??? Lord knows we need to hear from both of them
Dr. Birx is on now and she is great. I thought it was interesting listening to Dr. Birx talk tonight about the curves and where she is seeing some disturbing data for a few states, but she is seeing some positive things for other states.There are some states that from the data, it appears they have been doing a good job over the past two weeks of implementing the guidelines. I have also seen this in the individual state curves. However, she also pointed out that there are some states where it is rather obvious that people in some states in the early days of the guidelines, did a poor job of adopting the guidelines. As a result, these states are still seeing increasing rates of infection.

Dr. Birx also talked about the wearing of masks and why they have not come out with guidelines yet. The concern (I agree) is that if they issue guidelines for everyone to wear masks, people will think this is a substitute for physical distancing guidelines. As a result, they will stop practicing physical distancing and this is a problem. The wearing of masks would be an additive step to physical distancing guidelines and not a substitute for those guidelines. She urged everyone wearing masks to still stay 6 feet away from others, to continue to wash hands regularly, to continue to not touch your face, and continue to stay home if you do not need to be out.

I actually saw this type of behavior tonight, when I went to the grocery store. People with masks were standing right beside other shoppers in the checkout lines, instead of maintaining a separation of six feet. This is the concern Dr. Birx expressed. People think if they wear a mask, they are protected and they do not need to practice the other guidelines.

Bottom line, we have 28 more days to get this virus under control and it is up to everyone to follow the guidelines. People need to avoid going out unless it is necessary for the next 28 days. People need to continue to practice physical distancing over the next 28 days. If everyone does this, the outcome will be good. If not, we will see the virus and the restrictions continue and people's health and well-being will be put at further risk.

To those of you following the guidelines and doing their part, I say Thank You.
ciscopack
The Georgia governor just found out that it can be passed by people who had no symptoms; in Georgia the home of the CDC. Florida and PA got on board yesterday. A lot of people used to call it all a HOAX. I heard it on FOX news and a dude on the radio stated it several times and a guy with a red hat on said he knew as much about it as the scientist and doctors behind him, he even stated maybe that is what he should be doing for a living. BIGtime.

Some states and their governor still are in that mode....and there is a common denominator...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490695-several-states-have-yet-to-issue-stay-at-home-orders

Dr. Fauci just stated that every state should issue a stay-at-home-order.
82TxPackFan
Mormad said:

From what I'm seeing in our hospitals you couldn't be more wrong. Another dead and more intubated this am. ICU at our sister hospital already full. This sht is effing for real, and the sooner people realize that and stay the eff at home the better we'll be and the less that will die. Bottom line.
Thanks for your insight from the front lines & your dedication to your profession.

Has your hospital attempted to use the chloroquine + zpack treatment for any of the more severe cases?
packgrad
NC continues to be below the lower limit on the model that Davie was tracking. The lower limit for yesterday was 20 deaths. We were at 18. We had 3 deaths in the state yesterday. Hope we continue to trend lower than the model.

Edit... did not mean this as a reply to a poster. Just a reply all.
Wolfn
ciscopack said:

The Georgia governor just found out that it can be passed by people who had no symptoms; in Georgia the home of the CDC. Florida and PA got on board yesterday. A lot of people used to call it all a HOAX. I heard it on FOX news and a dude on the radio stated it several times and a guy with a red hat on said he knew as much about it as the scientist and doctors behind him, he even stated maybe that is what he should be doing for a living. BIGtime.

Some states and their governor still are in that mode....and there is a common denominator...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490695-several-states-have-yet-to-issue-stay-at-home-orders

Dr. Fauci just stated that every state should issue a stay-at-home-order.
A lot of people of people have said a lot of stuff as we navigate through these uncharted waters. I find your comment outrageous and will add you to my growing Ignore list before I respond and get banned.
Ground_Chuck
packgrad said:

NC continues to be below the lower limit on the model that Davie was tracking. The lower limit for yesterday was 20 deaths. We were at 18. We had 3 deaths in the state yesterday. Hope we continue to trend lower than the model.

NC seems to be outperforming some of our peer states. Knock on wood and hope this continues.
Daviewolf83
Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

NC seems to be outperforming some of our peer states. Knock on wood and hope this continues.
I am waiting for NC to release their official numbers later this morning (typically around 11am), before I update my spreadsheet. I have seen conflicting numbers this morning on media reports (saw 18 and 20), which is why I always wait for the mid-day update. Some media reports include people traveling through NC that are not residents of the state and some do not, which is why I prefer to wait for the official number.

You can see the official numbers at the following site. There is also good information on the numbers for ICU beds and ventilators and ICU beds available.

NCDHHS Covid-19 Website
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

I am waiting for NC to release their official numbers later this morning (typically around 11am), before I update my spreadsheet. I have seen conflicting numbers this morning on media reports (saw 18 and 20), which is why I always wait for the mid-day update. Some media reports include people traveling through NC that are not residents of the state and some do not, which is why I prefer to wait for the official number.

You can see the official numbers at the following site. There is also good information on the numbers for ICU beds and ventilators and ICU beds available.

NCDHHS Covid-19 Website

I had posted those numbers on this thread the last three days. I know WRAL includes the pass-throughs on their numbers since higher numbers = higher ratings.

I am still optimistic the NC is in a good place because our higher density counties were pro-active. Again, it is interesting to me that NC deaths seem to be trending to the lesser pop density and more rural counties and the fatality rate right now is much lower in cities.... of course all skewed by lack of testing.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.