Coronavirus

2,001,602 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Werewolf
PossumJenkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm almost certain that's 6.64 million NEW on top of the 3.3 million last week. We are at 10 million already over the last two weeks
wilmwolf
At this point, there really isn't any difference in people milling around in Home Depot or Costco and people drinking at a bar. Unless you are going to force everyone to stay at home with the National Guard, people are going to go where they are allowed to go. If you leave some businesses open, people are going to go there. Maybe it slows it down enough to keep the hospitals from collapsing, but at some point, they're just going to have to open everything back up and let the chips fall where they may I think. I don't think we can sustain tens of millions of people on unemployment for very long.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Respectfully, I don't think you do understand their role. if you are saying that it does not matter that they are a propaganda bullhorn for China.

Maybe you're just thread policing though. Who knows what is allowed to talk about on this thread anymore? Can't talk about deaths as they are related to traffic accidents, but can talk about condo rentals. The world health organization is now irrelevant, but early in the thread they were who we are supposed to listen to. Who knows?

Maybe I don't understand their role, or maybe I don't understand your interpretation of their role.

I agree with your last comment. They are irrelevant now to US decisions. That was the point I was kind of getting at. Does it matter what the WHO is saying now?

It specifically states their role. If you don't understand it, I can't make you. The WHO doesn't affect our decisions now. Perhaps they did before.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I noticed the total deaths went up by 3,000-4,000 a day each of the past 2 days. Hoping to see that total increase each day decline soon. For some reason, j don't see total cases leveling off until around next weekend. Sure hope I am wrong
Did you mean cases and not deaths? I am not seeing total deaths increasing by 3-4,000 a day. As you pointed out and as confirmed in the Worldometer tracking, new deaths increased by 1,049 yesterday.

I did mean cases not deaths. Thanks for catching that!!!
IseWolf22
metcalfmafia said:

What are the chances I will be able to go to my honeymoon in Jamaica at the end of May?
I'd see if they'll let you push the booking by a month.

I was hoping to plan a trip in June..., just wanted to see some national parks out West. So far I've held off
Colonel Armstrong
Could we see a point where infected Americans from places like NYC are actually sent to hospitals in other states where we have open beds, ventilators, etc? Or is that not feasible?
PackBacker07
King Leary said:

Could we see a point where infected Americans from places like NYC are actually sent to hospitals in other states where we have open beds, ventilators, etc? Or is that not feasible?
I guess it's possible, but I also think it would be a little nearsighted as those localities will end up getting hit as well at some point.
wilmwolf
Transporting sick people from one area to another would violate every tenet about stopping the spread of an infectious disease. As bad as it is, and as bad as it will get, for the hospitals in the hotspot areas, they are going to have to endure.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Doctors/Nurses from metros around the country have been going to NY to help. Don't think we need to start sending their patients around the country though. It seems they still have plenty of room in areas outside of Queens (unfortunately where my sister lives).
Daviewolf83
King Leary said:

I think the issue is more about ventilators than it is actual bed space. From this standpoint, I think it is possible you could see some states that are less hard hit sending ventilators to NYC than you would see moving patients to other states. Unfortunately, many of the neighboring states to NYC are also hard hit. The governor of NY has mention the possibility of balancing patients in NY and sending some from NYC to other hospitals in areas of NY that are less impacted.

The Federal government is also holding ventilators in the stockpile and not sending them out yet. They are waiting to see where the need is an send them out rapidly when an area gets to capacity. I personally believe this is the right decision at the moment.
Wayland
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/covid-19-case-count-nc

3/31/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/1/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/2/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Hospitalizations down 20. About a roughly 6.7% positive test rate between yesterday and today.
cowboypack02
metcalfmafia said:

What are the chances I will be able to go to my honeymoon in Jamaica at the end of May?

Congrats man!

But nah...don't think it's gonna happen
Ground_Chuck
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Respectfully, I don't think you do understand their role. if you are saying that it does not matter that they are a propaganda bullhorn for China.

Maybe you're just thread policing though. Who knows what is allowed to talk about on this thread anymore? Can't talk about deaths as they are related to traffic accidents, but can talk about condo rentals. The world health organization is now irrelevant, but early in the thread they were who we are supposed to listen to. Who knows?

Maybe I don't understand their role, or maybe I don't understand your interpretation of their role.

I agree with your last comment. They are irrelevant now to US decisions. That was the point I was kind of getting at. Does it matter what the WHO is saying now?

It specifically states their role. If you don't understand it, I can't make you. The WHO doesn't affect our decisions now. Perhaps they did before.

So we agree, doesn't matter now. We didn't listen before so it didn't really matter then either.

We knew this is what was going to happen. Actually, a large portion of this thread is people trying to convince people like you (and specifically you) that this was going to happen.

But you thought it was media hype and overreaction.
packgrad
I still think NC response is an overreaction. Also think still a lot of media hype. CBS was recently busted for using emergency room footage from Italy attributing it to NYC.
PossumJenkins
The WHO absolutely affected our decision making process previously and to say it didn't is asinine. The WHO reporting the cases and info out of China made us believe...as has been stated by Dr. Birx..this was a SARS type infection (which to some degree it is and in the same family) but that containment would be similar to the SARS outbreak. It is not...and therefore preparedness suffered. I'm not saying that's the ONLY reason it suffered. There's plenty of blame to be laid. The WHO also reported chinas initial reports it was not transmitted person to person. As well the WHO is an organization still saying masks don't help. So stop..again...there's no one person group or organization to blame...but to say they didn't affect policy is not honest
Ground_Chuck
PossumJenkins said:

The WHO absolutely affected our decision making process previously and to say it didn't is asinine. The WHO reporting the cases and info out of China made us believe...as has been stated by Dr. Birx..this was a SARS type infection (which to some degree it is and in the same family) but that containment would be similar to the SARS outbreak. It is not...and therefore preparedness suffered. I'm not saying that's the ONLY reason it suffered. There's plenty of blame to be laid. The WHO also reported chinas initial reports it was not transmitted person to person. As well the WHO is an organization still saying masks don't help. So stop..again...there's no one person group or organization to blame...but to say they didn't affect policy is not honest

I did a quick google search, apparently blaming the WHO for the US slow reaction is a new talking point in conservative media.

FWIW, WHOs site recommends wearing a mask if you are coughing/sneezing, and when caring for a person who may have covid19.

The person to person claim comes from a mid January report. It was amended as data became available.

I don't see in evidence that this influenced the US to react as if covid19 was "just the flu" or a "hoax."
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

PossumJenkins said:

I did a quick google search, apparently blaming the WHO for the US slow reaction is a new talking point in conservative media.

FWIW, WHOs site recommends wearing a mask if you are coughing/sneezing, and when caring for a person who may have covid19.

The person to person claim comes from a mid January report. It was amended as data became available.

I don't see in evidence that this influenced the US to react as if covid19 was "just the flu" or a "hoax."

"Hoax" is a liberal talking point/complete misrepresentation.
PossumJenkins
Thanks for making my point...i never said they said it was a hoax...i said Dr. Birx, someone i feel like most people agree is a foremost authority and has her stuff together, stated the info coming from China made us believe this was a SARS similar outbreak that could be controlled to how we controlled SARS. You said hoax. Not me. What was previously stated was the WHO was spreading propaganda from China. Which you clearly show as the Jan statement that then had to be amended! Cause it was incorrect!

You said the WHO didn't have any influence. It did. The spreading of misinformation absolutely affected the preparedness level. From China to the WHO to the world. We don't live in a black and white world. This wasn't the only reason we were unprepared and it's not only the WHO's fault.

I realize this doesn't fit with your narrative of only blaming one guy...but there's plenty of blame to go around.
Mormad
Things ramping up quickly. 4 more intubated this am at Wesley Long and ICU now full. The next 3 weeks are gonna be a wild ride.
Mormad
From what I'm seeing in our hospitals you couldn't be more wrong. Another dead and more intubated this am. ICU at our sister hospital already full. This sht is effing for real, and the sooner people realize that and stay the eff at home the better we'll be and the less that will die. Bottom line.
Ground_Chuck
Promising news

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-vaccine-pittsburgh-university-lancet-study-covid-pandemic-a9442536.html
packgrad
How many icu beds does your and your sister hospital have?
Mormad
I think Wesley has about 18, but that is a 500 percent increase in ICU cases in 3 days. 2 dead already. Our hospital has many more beds, but if Wesley filled up that fast, they'll fill ours up pretty quickly. It just chafes my ass when I leave the hospital after watching this virus destroy lives and destroy families to read nonsense about hysteria, politics, and overreaction. How many have to die before it becomes a real problem and one that people should heed the pleas, advice, and warnings of those who see it everyday? It's flabbergasting. Sorry to rant, but I just find it so ridiculous. I've lost a shtload of money, income, and I've seen my friends lose businesses, but there are outcomes worse than that, so I'm sensitive to those who are worried or angry about that aspect of this pandemic. But there are worse things you could lose, and we're simply trying to limit how often people lose their loved ones.
RunsWithWolves26
Mormad said:

I think Wesley has about 18, but that is a 500 percent increase in ICU cases in 3 days. 2 dead already. Our hospital has many more beds, but if Wesley filled up that fast, they'll fill ours up pretty quickly. It just chafes my ass when I leave the hospital after watching this virus destroy lives and destroy families to read nonsense about hysteria, politics, and overreaction. How many have to die before it becomes a real problem and one that people should heed the pleas, advice, and warnings of those who see it everyday? It's flabbergasting. Sorry to rant, but I just find it so ridiculous. I've lost a shtload of money, income, and I've seen my friends lose businesses, but there are outcomes worse than that, so I'm sensitive to those who are worried or angry about that aspect of this pandemic. But there are worse things you could lose, and we're simply trying to limit how often people lose their loved ones.

For some on here, it will only be serious and not political, or a hoax, or whatever else when they have someone they are close to die. At that point, it will be to late to be outraged or upset about it. If you don't take it seriously when it isn't affecting your loved ones at the moment, don't take it seriously when it does.
wolfpackin24
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

For some on here, it will only be serious and not political, or a hoax, or whatever else when they have someone they are close to die. At that point, it will be to late to be outraged or upset about it. If you don't take it seriously when it isn't affecting your loved ones at the moment, don't take it seriously when it does.
Same could be said regarding a variety of different topics. Imagine working in the hospitals on the south side of Chicago that are just a revolving door of gun shot victims. People die all the time and from a variety of different reasons. I am not saying that this virus isn't serious but I am not going to completely shut my life down because of it. (Or at least I wasn't until I was forced to). The issue is we weren't prepared and hospitals are overwhelmed, not the fact that the virus kills people.

Furthermore, if you have a history of depression and suicide in your family as I do, I am sure you would worry a lot more about how these extreme measures we are forcing people to take are affecting folks mental health. Let's not lose site of the collateral damage we are causing by virtually shutting down the country.
Packchem91
IseWolf22 said:

metcalfmafia said:

I'd see if they'll let you push the booking by a month.

I was hoping to plan a trip in June..., just wanted to see some national parks out West. So far I've held off
I have reservations in West Yellowstone and Jackson for the week of July 4-11 to go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons with the family. I gather the issue is the small towns on the edge of the park where people do stay -- which have very small home populations, and no infra to support if many of them get ill because world travelers are staying there.

The hosts of the two homes I've rented say they are hearing end of June....but of course, that is purely speculative.
Packchem91
PackBacker07 said:

King Leary said:

I guess it's possible, but I also think it would be a little nearsighted as those localities will end up getting hit as well at some point.
They are sending them to other parts of NY -- like Albany, already.
Packchem91
Mormad said:

Sobering perspective.
IseWolf22
This just got very real for me. My wife and I are young and healthy enough that we were worried about our parents, but not really ourselves.

Well she's pregnant. We're really, really happy. Also really scared about what an infection could do this early in the pregnancy. She's considered an essential worker so she can't quarantine at home unless she wants to quit. We don't really know what to do at this point other than to be exceedingly careful.
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

Meh. "Take it seriously" is opinion based. Mormad works in a hospital. People die in hospitals. And I hate that for them and their families. We're up to 16 or so since social distancing has started. It's sad people are dying, but ramifications, some even leading to death, will be felt from the quarantines for quite some time. The quarantines are basically just making the businesses they allow to remain open the Petrie dish for the virus. Grocery stores, Costco, Home Depot. Come get your food, toilet paper, gardening plants, and corona.
Mormad
wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

Same could be said regarding a variety of different topics. Imagine working in the hospitals on the south side of Chicago that are just a revolving door of gun shot victims. People die all the time and from a variety of different reasons. I am not saying that this virus isn't serious but I am not going to completely shut my life down because of it. (Or at least I wasn't until I was forced to). The issue is we weren't prepared and hospitals are overwhelmed, not the fact that the virus kills people.

Furthermore, if you have a history of depression and suicide in your family as I do, I am sure you would worry a lot more about how these extreme measures we are forcing people to take are affecting folks mental health. Let's not lose site of the collateral damage we are causing by virtually shutting down the country.

Oh I agree there will certainly be collateral damage, but I suspect more would die of this virus than will die of the collateral damage. One way or the other we have to try to limit the death toll. The death toll for collateral damage will pale in comparison to this virus, especially if we just everybody continue to go about their business unchanged. You might not let it shut down your life, but you may let it take your life. And yes people are dying every day from one tragedy or another, but there are already measures to try to limit those deaths (we can argue effectiveness), and those deaths related to covid are IN ADDITION to those every day deaths. So measures have been taken, and yes they're drastic, but damn if they're not necessary. So I find the "people are dying every day" arguement to be hollow. Just let more die so you don't have to shut your life down? That sounds a little ridiculous? I'm really not trying to be a tailhole, so I hope I'm not angering anyone. This just hits really close to home for me.
Daviewolf83
With all the focus on deaths and numbers of cases, I do want to also focus on some good news. According to the Worldometer's latest info on the US:

Total Recovered Cases: 10,324

This is something I will try to focus on daily, since it helps to show us all that while things are bad right now, there is light at the end of the tunnel. While many people are going to die and the death tolls will be higher than you could ever imagine, more people will recover from this virus than will die.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

This just got very real for me. My wife and I are young and healthy enough that we were worried about our parents, but not really ourselves.

Well she's pregnant. We're really, really happy. Also really scared about what an infection could do this early in the pregnancy. She's considered an essential worker so she can't quarantine at home unless she wants to quit. We don't really know what to do at this point other than to be exceedingly careful.
Congrats Ise on the upcoming baby. It was the happiest day of my life when I found out that i was gonna be a father.

I can't tell you what you or your wife should do, but we are in the same situation with my wife being pregnant and an nurse so she is essential, and I can tell you the conversation that we had just this morning. I told her that if she decided to walk away from her job until after everything blows over or she gave birth I would fully support her decision and we would figure out how to make things work. I also told her that it was her decision at the end of the day and if she wanted to continue to work i supported that as well. Its a tough situation for sure all the way around.

If you want to talk it through with someone who is in the same situation shoot me a message.
cowboypack02
When my wife came home from the hospital this morning she told me that they were requiring everyone to wear a surgical mask that was in the hospital and that she had to drop it off in a box to be reused on the way out. She was also told that she wasn't allowed to wear her own mask underneath the mask that she was provided, even though what the hospital is providing is being reused. That's damn crazy and just asking for problems. I've tried to send her to work with a respirator or even just the smaller dust mask (n95) that i keep at the shop but she has been told she wasn't allowed.
wolfpackin24
Mormad said:

wolfpackin24 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

Oh I agree there will certainly be collateral damage, but I suspect more would die of this virus than will die of the collateral damage. One way or the other we have to try to limit the death toll. The death toll for collateral damage will pale in comparison to this virus, especially if we just everybody continue to go about their business unchanged. You might not let it shut down your life, but you may let it take your life. And yes people are dying every day from one tragedy or another, but there are already measures to try to limit those deaths (we can argue effectiveness), and those deaths related to covid are IN ADDITION to those every day deaths. So measures have been taken, and yes they're drastic, but damn if they're not necessary. So I find the "people are dying every day" arguement to be hollow. Just let more die so you don't have to shut your life down? That sounds a little ridiculous? I'm really not trying to be a tailhole, so I hope I'm not angering anyone. This just hits really close to home for me.
Not angering me, and I understand your viewpoint as well. I think we are all very frustrated at this point with the entire situation because it has the grips on everyone. It just stinks because had we been proactive about this rather than reactive, maybe we aren't in the situation we are currently in.
First Page Last Page
Page 37 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.