Coronavirus

2,012,599 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mormad said:

Our midnight census is about 150, avg age 58, avg #admissions 27,avg ED admissions 25, avg # discharges 25, length of stay 4.58, pos rate 13

This is the first time I've seen our admission numbers overtake our discharge numbers...it was hanging around 24 admits to 25 discharges. Not a huge change, but a trend that keeps me out of the OR i guess.

Still predict a peak mid sept, with our current trajectory suggesting 40-50 in icu and 180-220 admitted. We'll see. Prediction models have been much more accurate this time, but we never hit the predicted peak numbers last time.
Thanks very much for this information. It is helpful in understanding what is happen at the local levels. Your hospital and area of the state seem to be lagging other areas of the state with regards to hospitalization growth. It appears the state numbers may have peaked, but there are isolated areas still not peaking yet. As I mentioned last week, I still want to see the updates to hospitalizations this Friday to say for certain. Due to the delays in the demographic reporting NCDHHS posts, we will not see any effect from Labor Day until the end of this week. I am not using cases for my projection/analysis, since the data is too messy (variance in daily testing, testing of fully vaccinated student populations so low risk cases are included, etc). The hospitalization data is much cleaner, since it reflects those cases severe enough to warrant more attention. On a national level, hospitalizations appear now to have peaked and are heading down in many key states. Several tweets over the weekend from people who follow the national trends more closely that say the Summer Wave (they call it the fourth wave) is declining and in some areas, declining very rapidly.

For the positivity rate, do you have any way of seeing what percentage of those are fully vaccinated people. NCDHHS did provide some insight on this a few weeks ago and we know Duke and some other institutions are testing fully vaccinated people and reporting cases.

Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Yes, I understand. I was more mocking the improperly worn cloth mask. Lipstick on a pig.
I will say --- whatever you think about any benefit from masking, it is difficult not to chuckle when you see a person either (1) riding in a car by themselves with a mask on or (2) wearing it below the nose.

PackChem, I know you don't believe me - but I still haven't been asked to wear a mask by anyone yet... haven't worn one since Cooper lifted the restrictions back in May. Still don't carry one in the car either.

I'd say about 1 in 5 wearing masks indoors here on the coast. Grocery stores. Restaurants. ABC Stores. My primary care physician's waiting area and examination room. Restrooms at Carter-Finley ( ). Everywhere.

I did see a man driving alone while masked though yesterday and I immediately thought of you bringing it up previously. LOL.
I only wear one if there is a sign on the door. When I go to places like the Ale House I wear it when I enter but I take it off when I sit down. I carry one with me at all times. Most of the construction sites I'm on are requiring them at all times
This is where I am. If the business asks, I wear it and don't worry about it. Couple of weeks ago, I dodged a rain storm and ran into a Target and realized I didn't have one on. I was the only one I saw w/o one, but no one said anything. I had one thing to get, which i did, avoided people, and left.

Where I live - right at border of Meck County, Union County, and Lancaster (SC) County, a wide range of masking policies and expectations....if they don't ask, I'm not wearing. And I've not seen anywhere outdoors requiring them. Though at the Panthers game yesterday, they have a new thing were a group of 10 or so cheerleaders spend whole game on the outdoor concourse right behind my section....and they wore masks the entire game yesterday. Thought it was a bit weird, since they have them blocked off from the crowd interacting.
This is my approach as well. I ate in three restaurants this weekend. Two in the Triad area of the state and one last night in Raleigh. None of them had masking signs on the door and none were requiring people to wear a mask when entering or sitting down to eat. In the first place Friday night, every table was full and I would estimate seeing only 5-6 people wearing a mask. Only a couple of the staff were wearing masks. This was in rural county south of Winston-Salem and Greensboro. On Saturday, all staff at the restaurant were wearing a mask, but only two or three patrons. We ate outside (had a very large group), but went inside to pay. No one inside (other than staff) had on a mask. For last night, only the staff wore masks, but only a couple of the patrons entered wearing a mask. We ate inside last night.

For the football game on Saturday. I never wore a mask. We tailgated for a couple of hours before the game and I never wore one in the stadium or after the game.

I will be heading to Virginia in a couple of weeks for my son's game against UVA and I expect conditions there to me more strict.
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

wow. There were 7k kids out on quarantine because they were "exposed" while maskless at school...so something was bound to change.
Didn't read an article on it yet, but am guessing the county health director must have made the recommendation, because he was the one the Board blamed last meeting for making the kids miss.
My wife and I had dinner last night with a top administrator at a large private school in Raleigh. He was telling us about a student that has missed 20 days of in-person school due to quarantine protocols and this student has never tested positive, but has been tested multiple times over those 20 days. The first quarantine happened when his younger sister tested positive after a sleep-over at a friends house. After 10 days, he was set to return to school when his other sister tested positive - prompting another 10 day quarantine. He will come out of the second quarantine this week.

By the way, his parents have never quarantined, since they are fully vaccinated.
Glasswolf
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Yes, I understand. I was more mocking the improperly worn cloth mask. Lipstick on a pig.
I will say --- whatever you think about any benefit from masking, it is difficult not to chuckle when you see a person either (1) riding in a car by themselves with a mask on or (2) wearing it below the nose.

PackChem, I know you don't believe me - but I still haven't been asked to wear a mask by anyone yet... haven't worn one since Cooper lifted the restrictions back in May. Still don't carry one in the car either.

I'd say about 1 in 5 wearing masks indoors here on the coast. Grocery stores. Restaurants. ABC Stores. My primary care physician's waiting area and examination room. Restrooms at Carter-Finley ( ). Everywhere.

I did see a man driving alone while masked though yesterday and I immediately thought of you bringing it up previously. LOL.
I only wear one if there is a sign on the door. When I go to places like the Ale House I wear it when I enter but I take it off when I sit down. I carry one with me at all times. Most of the construction sites I'm on are requiring them at all times
This is where I am. If the business asks, I wear it and don't worry about it. Couple of weeks ago, I dodged a rain storm and ran into a Target and realized I didn't have one on. I was the only one I saw w/o one, but no one said anything. I had one thing to get, which i did, avoided people, and left.

Where I live - right at border of Meck County, Union County, and Lancaster (SC) County, a wide range of masking policies and expectations....if they don't ask, I'm not wearing. And I've not seen anywhere outdoors requiring them. Though at the Panthers game yesterday, they have a new thing were a group of 10 or so cheerleaders spend whole game on the outdoor concourse right behind my section....and they wore masks the entire game yesterday. Thought it was a bit weird, since they have them blocked off from the crowd interacting.
This is my approach as well. I ate in three restaurants this weekend. Two in the Triad area of the state and one last night in Raleigh. None of them had masking signs on the door and none were requiring people to wear a mask when entering or sitting down to eat. In the first place Friday night, every table was full and I would estimate seeing only 5-6 people wearing a mask. Only a couple of the staff were wearing masks. This was in rural county south of Winston-Salem and Greensboro. On Saturday, all staff at the restaurant were wearing a mask, but only two or three patrons. We ate outside (had a very large group), but went inside to pay. No one inside (other than staff) had on a mask. For last night, only the staff wore masks, but only a couple of the patrons entered wearing a mask. We ate inside last night.

For the football game on Saturday. I never wore a mask. We tailgated for a couple of hours before the game and I never wore one in the stadium or after the game.

I will be heading to Virginia in a couple of weeks for my son's game against UVA and I expect conditions there to me more strict.
I wore my mask going into the stadium for the USF game but I didn't wear it after that.
packgrad
statefan91
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

wow. There were 7k kids out on quarantine because they were "exposed" while maskless at school...so something was bound to change.
Didn't read an article on it yet, but am guessing the county health director must have made the recommendation, because he was the one the Board blamed last meeting for making the kids miss.
No, the health director did not recommend this. He recommended a modified quarantining period with a negative test.

Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

No, the health director did not recommend this. He recommended a modified quarantining period with a negative test.

Thank you! Healthy students should not be at home. But the lack of partnership between the school board and health director is a problem.
Wayland
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Thank you! Healthy students should not be at home. But the lack of partnership between the school board and health director is a problem.
Health directors have too long ignored that schools are safe and children should be in them and should have been in them last year. Bravo to Union County schools for ending ridiculous quarantining of healthy students.

No more kowtowing to the teachers union directed CDC rules. Keep healthy students in the classrooms.
Wayland
So those FDA guys that are leaving aren't quite sure we are ready for boosters yet.

packgrad
Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Health directors have too long ignored that schools are safe and children should be in them and should have been in them last year. Bravo to Union County schools for ending ridiculous quarantining of healthy students.

That health director still recommends 14 day quarantine. His compromise to political pressure is 10 if they remain asymptomatic. 7 if asymptomatic and a negative test.
Wayland
packgrad said:

Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

That health director still recommends 14 day quarantine. His compromise to political pressure is 10 if they remain asymptomatic. 7 if asymptomatic and a negative test.
I mean, if I have learned one thing, it is that most of public health is made up of myopic shills who lack any ability to think critically.
Daviewolf83
Here is the latest data posted by NCDHHS on Friday. I just had time to update all my data and charts. As you can now see, daily hospitalizations appear have peaked and have declined for the last four days of reporting. Additionally, the growth rate in daily hospitalizations have flattened out and I expect them to show a downward trend in the next update. Of course, this is at the state-wide level and as such, there could be areas of the state still seeing an increase. As far as who is hospitalized, it reflects the information provided by Mormad and PackPA with regards to the average age.

As to overall vaccination rates, I believe NC needs to get 20% of the remaining unvaccinated population to full vaccination level to limit the impact of the next Winter Wave. Like last year, I project we will see it start again in late October, depending on how quickly the weather turns cold in NC.

Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Here is the latest data posted by NCDHHS on Friday. I just had time to update all my data and charts. As you can now see, daily hospitalizations appear have peaked and have declined for the last four days of reporting. Additionally, the growth rate in daily hospitalizations have flattened out and I expect them to show a downward trend in the next update. Of course, this is at the state-wide level and as such, there could be areas of the state still seeing an increase. As far as who is hospitalized, it reflects the information provided by Mormad and PackPA with regards to the average age.

As to overall vaccination rates, I believe NC needs to get 20% of the remaining unvaccinated population to full vaccination level to limit the impact of the next Winter Wave. Like last year, I project we will see it start again in late October, depending on how quickly the weather turns cold in NC.

That massive gap between weekend and weekday admissions is fascinating to me. Can see it in the CDC data as well.
Wayland
Wayland said:

I will say, I am a little uneasy about today's case reporting from NC DHHS. I expected a huge post holiday bump... maybe the reduction in back to school testing countered it out... but it feels low.

Especially with 447 of the cases reported today coming from 8/27. Odd backlog post.

Can I read when the DHHS f's up data or what? Called it!!

Daviewolf83
More good news that shows vaccines defang Covid, significantly reducing severe infection, hospitalization and death. Works against all known variants, including Delta.

Wayland
Wayland
statefan91
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

I will say, I am a little uneasy about today's case reporting from NC DHHS. I expected a huge post holiday bump... maybe the reduction in back to school testing countered it out... but it feels low.

Especially with 447 of the cases reported today coming from 8/27. Odd backlog post.

Can I read when the DHHS f's up data or what? Called it!!

Seems like they should just update Friday's data with the correct numbers instead of spiking the Monday numbers.

If it's really big I'm sure I'll get an alert from Charlotte Observer letting me know how huge the numbers were for today.
Daviewolf83
In other Covid news, it appears Orange County wants to shutdown football, along with other high risk sports (all in-season and off-season activities in football, basketball, wrestling, and competitive cheerleading) - all based on misleading data from NCDHHS. Welcome back to 2020.

Not only do they want to shutdown high risk sports, but for medium risk sports (cheerleading, lacrosse, soccer, tennis doubles, volleyball, baseball, and softball), they want to return to last year's restrictions, as detailed here:
  • Student-athletes must be vaccinated or be tested bi-weekly.
  • Athletes must wear masks on and off the field regardless of vaccination status.
  • All fans must be masked both indoors and outdoors.
  • Physical distance required by non-household members.
  • Attendance limited to parents or guardians (no more than two) of athletes only.
  • No selling of food items or concessions.
Daviewolf83
I totally agree. I am expecting to see an increase in the numbers for 9/7, followed by declines on the days that follow. I really want to see Friday's hospitalization demographics, since this should show any bump from Labor Day.
hokiewolf
Glasswolf said:

BBW12OG said:

I'm on construction sites 3-4 days a week across several states. NOT ONE of them have I seen requiring masks other than when they are operating machinery that produces dust where you'd be wearing one anyway.

So I'm throwing the BS flag on that last statement.
Barnhill Construction is for sure. I'm doing some reno work at the BB&T building downtown. Mask are required. The River Place project I just finished in Wilmington required them also. Same GC. CT Wilson is requiring them also. No proof of vaccination has been required though.
Generally I've seen if you are working in a confined area - i.e. the construction project is dried in and interior work is on going, masks have been required.

Masks are 100% required at all health care construction sites

100% vaccination requirements are starting to be rolled out as a requirement by some owners on projects.
caryking
Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

No more kowtowing to the teachers union directed CDC rules. Keep healthy students in the classrooms.
Unions work for their constituents. Unfortunately, not for the general population...
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

In other Covid news, it appears Orange County wants to shutdown football, along with other high risk sports (all in-season and off-season activities in football, basketball, wrestling, and competitive cheerleading) - all based on misleading data from NCDHHS. Welcome back to 2020.

Not only do they want to shutdown high risk sports, but for medium risk sports (cheerleading, lacrosse, soccer, tennis doubles, volleyball, baseball, and softball), they want to return to last year's restrictions, as detailed here:
  • Student-athletes must be vaccinated or be tested bi-weekly.
  • Athletes must wear masks on and off the field regardless of vaccination status.
  • All fans must be masked both indoors and outdoors.
  • Physical distance required by non-household members.
  • Attendance limited to parents or guardians (no more than two) of athletes only.
  • No selling of food items or concessions.

I was at the Wake Competition Center this weekend to watch one of my nephew's hockey games and I thought Morrisville had a mask mandate (there were signs all over the building about masking) but I doubt if there was 50% compliance.
Wayland

Quote:

"I think what we're seeing now is a more rapid increase in numbers, like we're seeing across the nation, and so it's so important to be able to have that capacity there, assuming numbers continue to grow as they do for right now, so that we can accommodate and have the space to take care of people the way we need to," said Jeff Hammerstein, Rex's emergency preparedness coordinator.

What continues to be strange to me is the continued disconnect from reality of the media and these emergency 'preparedness people'. Why not just be honest and say that even with the decline in cases things are still bad?

I mean at this point we are weeks into our case declines. % pos (a metric I hate) has been steadily decreasing in Wake County.

Census numbers for MCRHC have been flat for a month and peaked a couple weeks ago. (CAPRAC, the other hospital group which covers Wake County and the county uses for their dashboard, peaked in late August).

Even as cases decline, the percent of cases made up of people under 25 continues to grow (meaning EVEN less cases in the higher risk populations).

Now, if this was phrased as "Even as cases decline, we are still seeing elevated numbers and need to ensure we have continued capacity to address all needs." That is a factually correct statement.

But to say we are seeing a 'seeing now ... a more rapid increase' and 'assuming the numbers continue to grow' are actual falsehoods.

WE SAW a 'rapid increase', we "are seeing now" a steady case decline.
statefan91
Today's update for hospitalizations showed we're about 300 down (~10%) from our peak
Wayland
statefan91 said:

Today's update for hospitalizations showed we're about 300 down (~10%) from our peak

Quote:

The study found that from March 2020 through early January 2021before vaccination was widespread, and before the Delta variant had arrivedthe proportion of patients with mild or asymptomatic disease was 36 percent. From mid-January through the end of June 2021, however, that number rose to 48 percent. In other words, the study suggests that roughly half of all the hospitalized patients showing up on COVID-data dashboards in 2021 may have been admitted for another reason entirely, or had only a mild presentation of disease.

Quote:

But the study also demonstrates that hospitalization rates for COVID, as cited by journalists and policy makers, can be misleading, if not considered carefully. Clearly many patients right now are seriously ill. We also know that overcrowding of hospitals by COVID patients with even mild illness can have negative implications for patients in need of other care. At the same time, this study suggests that COVID hospitalization tallies can't be taken as a simple measure of the prevalence of severe or even moderate disease, because they might inflate the true numbers by a factor of two. "As we look to shift from cases to hospitalizations as a metric to drive policy and assess level of risk to a community or state or country," Doron told me, referring to decisions about school closures, business restrictions, mask requirements, and so on, "we should refine the definition of hospitalization. Those patients who are there with rather than from COVID don't belong in the metric."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/

Study of VA hospital admissions.
JasonNCSU
That hospitalization number is also with 91% reporting... so tomorrow when 97% report and the number goes up, the news can say hospital numbers are surging again...
Everpack
Everpack said:

At some point we have to change our policies around COVID in schools. I'm so angry right now I can't see straight. Long anecdotal story, so read at your will. As of today, my teacher wife and myself are fully vaccinated. Two weeks past our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. For past few months, my wife has had some on and off pressure in her chest with episodes of an elevated heart rate. With all of the COVID BS, she has refrained from going to the doctor. She finally had enough and called for an appointment today. They suggested she come on for their walk-in clinic, so she left school early to try to get some answers. Her heart rate peaked today while she was at school at 135, prompting her desire to go ASAP. Upon her arrival to the doctors office, she was required to take a COVID test. No COVID symptoms and fully vaccinated. Now, because it is Friday afternoon, she won't get test results back until Monday. She is now required to miss work (w/o pay) until her test results back. To make matters worse, both of my daughters have to miss school because my wife got tested. Tested for a virus she is vaccinated against and has no symptoms of.

If anyone is interested in the revolution of putting some GD adults in charge of our society, I'll lead the charge with you. Enough is enough.

In a shocking revelation, my fully vaccinated wife who has zero COVID symptoms got her test results back today. It's negative. Now she can go back to work and my girls can return to school.
Wayland
JasonNCSU said:

That hospitalization number is also with 91% reporting... so tomorrow when 97% report and the number goes up, the news can say hospital numbers are surging again...

Here is the chart from the CDC for the NC hospital admissions by age.

Look where the 60-69 peaks and starts to come down. That is in the neighborhood of a week after where I though the broader infection wave peaked and the subsequent case numbers were driven by back to school testing.

edit. Welp. My CDC chart was flagged
Daviewolf83
Looks like some of the experts are starting to agree with me and Wayland. According to a UNC professor, he believes we have peaked in NC and he expects cases and hospitalizations to continue to decline. His reason - we are getting closer to herd immunity.

I will admit that I missed my projection on the peak by approximately 10 days. The reason for the decline? Immunity. As I have been saying for a few weeks, immunity through vaccination and immunity through infection is the key. Mask mandates will not get us out of the pandemic. Lockdowns and restrictions on large groups will not get us out of the pandemic. Immunity is the key.

From the WRAL article:

Quote:

"Even though we are getting lots of these big groups of people, just the number of people susceptible to getting COVID is shrinking and shrinking," he said. "The way that it peaks was not because of mitigation efforts but because so many people have gotten immunity via being infected or vaccination."

Looks like someone has been reading my posts :-) Just kidding.

Oldsouljer
There's at least four Wake County municipalities that have not imposed, but other than Wake Forest and Rolesville, not sure who the others are.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Looks like some of the experts are starting to agree with me and Wayland. According to a UNC professor, he believes we have peaked in NC and he expects cases and hospitalizations to continue to decline. His reason - we are getting closer to herd immunity.

I will admit that I missed my projection on the peak by approximately 10 days. The reason for the decline? Immunity. As I have been saying for a few weeks, immunity through vaccination and immunity through infection is the key. Mask mandates will not get us out of the pandemic. Lockdowns and restrictions on large groups will not get us out of the pandemic. Immunity is the key.

From the WRAL article:

Quote:

"Even though we are getting lots of these big groups of people, just the number of people susceptible to getting COVID is shrinking and shrinking," he said. "The way that it peaks was not because of mitigation efforts but because so many people have gotten immunity via being infected or vaccination."

Looks like someone has been reading my posts :-) Just kidding.

I remain frustrated he doesn't acknowledge the possibility of seasonality, since we see these peaks tend to occur regionally.

I remain firm that the true infection peak was in late August and was masked (no pun intended) by the back to school focused testing. Other 'non case' data still shows this as probably, so I will stick to it.

NC detected more cases but had fewer infections in the broader communities.
82TxPackFan
Oldsouljer said:

There's at least four Wake County municipalities that have not imposed, but other than Wake Forest and Rolesville, not sure who the others are.
I read back in mid August that Fuquay, Holly Springs, & Apex were not enforcing masks.
Ripper
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Davie, here in Arlington VA, a looney left bastion, restrictions are not that bad. There is no mask mandate, except for government buildings. Can't speak for Scott Stadium, but believe the Covid rules are similar to Carter-Finley.
packgrad
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.