Coronavirus

2,007,504 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wayland said:

wilmwolf80 said:

hokiewolf said:

I think another thing that frustrates me is the metric of measurement of how many ICU beds are "occupied". To me, the news organizations have turned that metric into something that is easily misunderstood by the public.

ICU's aren't designed to be empty, there will always be occupancy in an ICU. I don't think the general public gets that. Hospitals take a loss when a patient isn't in a room.
Agree, and there is typically very little exposition on what it means when they report that hospitals are "full" with covid patients. It's a tremendous amount of work for those folks that work in the hospitals either way, and much respect to all those people (and I know a good number of them), but in the greater context as to whether things are getting better or worse, some added details for the general public couldn't hurt. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much room for that type of nuanced reporting.
To that end. And I am going to pick a little.

There is some haze to the numbers. I am all about the highest level of medical care, but look at NC hospital admissions compared to the case rates and %ED for COVID numbers.

Broader infections peaked weeks ago. You can look at the demographics and the later case bump was driven primarily 'back to school' age cases.

The %ED WITH Diagnosed COVID has been declining for weeks.

Hospitalizations and ICU are basically dead flat, but look at those 'New Admit' numbers.... ESPECIALLY on the first weekday or two in a week. A little bit of 'with COVID' mixed in early weeks combined with lowering admission standards (which there is no problem with since we want good outcomes).

The following graph shows my estimate for the percentage of active Covid cases in NC that are hospitalized. You can see that even though hospitalizations have risen, the percentage of those hospitalized has remained relatively flat to slightly down. As of yesterday, the percentage of active Covid cases that were hospitalized was 4.1%.

caryking
Davie and wayland, you guys are providing sensible dialogue.. I appreciate that!
packgrad
Home run

caryking
packgrad said:

Home run

I just saw this. We, now, have to put warnings up for those documents as they might be offensive. Folks, this is all in an effort to discredit this country. As BBW puts it... the Marxist want (are they actually doing it) to take over and create a new country!
Everpack
At some point we have to change our policies around COVID in schools. I'm so angry right now I can't see straight. Long anecdotal story, so read at your will. As of today, my teacher wife and myself are fully vaccinated. Two weeks past our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. For past few months, my wife has had some on and off pressure in her chest with episodes of an elevated heart rate. With all of the COVID BS, she has refrained from going to the doctor. She finally had enough and called for an appointment today. They suggested she come on for their walk-in clinic, so she left school early to try to get some answers. Her heart rate peaked today while she was at school at 135, prompting her desire to go ASAP. Upon her arrival to the doctors office, she was required to take a COVID test. No COVID symptoms and fully vaccinated. Now, because it is Friday afternoon, she won't get test results back until Monday. She is now required to miss work (w/o pay) until her test results back. To make matters worse, both of my daughters have to miss school because my wife got tested. Tested for a virus she is vaccinated against and has no symptoms of.

If anyone is interested in the revolution of putting some GD adults in charge of our society, I'll lead the charge with you. Enough is enough.
GuerrillaPack
I've also had episodes of elevated heart rate over the last 6 months or so. Never had this happen in my life, and I'm young and healthy. It all started after the vaccine rollout. I'm not vaxxed. I've heard there's been a big increase in heart problems since covid started, and especially after the vaccine rollout. I think that non-vaxxed people are possibly catching something from the vaxxed. Many believe that they shed the spike protein, and this may be the cause of the heart and other problems.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Oldsouljer
I worry about that too, vaxxed this spring, occasionally feel a "flutter" in my chest. I'm still a gym rat at my age, simulate an hour of hard, fast hill climbing at least three times a week. Due for annual this month, may ask for an EKG.
caryking
GuerrillaPack said:

I've also had episodes of elevated heart rate over the last 6 months or so. Never had this happen in my life, and I'm young and healthy. It all started after the vaccine rollout. I'm not vaxxed. I've heard there's been a big increase in heart problems since covid started, and especially after the vaccine rollout. I think that even non-vaxxed people are catching something from the vaxxed....many suspect that they shed the spike protein, and this may be the cause of the heart and other problems.
That's actually not so crazy. I was reading where this is being reported...
packgrad
Everpack said:

At some point we have to change our policies around COVID in schools. I'm so angry right now I can't see straight. Long anecdotal story, so read at your will. As of today, my teacher wife and myself are fully vaccinated. Two weeks past our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. For past few months, my wife has had some on and off pressure in her chest with episodes of an elevated heart rate. With all of the COVID BS, she has refrained from going to the doctor. She finally had enough and called for an appointment today. They suggested she come on for their walk-in clinic, so she left school early to try to get some answers. Her heart rate peaked today while she was at school at 135, prompting her desire to go ASAP. Upon her arrival to the doctors office, she was required to take a COVID test. No COVID symptoms and fully vaccinated. Now, because it is Friday afternoon, she won't get test results back until Monday. She is now required to miss work (w/o pay) until her test results back. To make matters worse, both of my daughters have to miss school because my wife got tested. Tested for a virus she is vaccinated against and has no symptoms of.

If anyone is interested in the revolution of putting some GD adults in charge of our society, I'll lead the charge with you. Enough is enough.

I've spoken about this on this thread before, but I developed a temporary heart issue after vaccination with the Moderna antivirus. Mine was after the 2nd dose. I went into AFIB twice. My timeframes may be slightly off, but once 3 weeks after. Once, roughly seven weeks after. I've never had AFIB before. Haven't had it since. But I'm having a hard time believing it wasn't due to the vaccination. Additionally, it has convinced me I won't get a booster without further evaluation. I appreciate the protection the vaccination has provided me. I'm also aware of the condition it caused in me. I will not further that condition for something that has such minimal chance of affecting me. The virus did nothing to me. The vaccination did. I would have been comfortable testing natural immunity but my job does not allow that, and I also did not want to hamstring myself with travel, particularly considering the elected leadership in this country.

I've battled allergies recently. Completely resolved with Flonase. Have heard I should get tested. I have no plans to test myself though, as I don't have symptoms, no fever, don't want to fuel hysteria, and don't my wife to have to miss work.

Sorry you're having to deal with this bureaucratic, totalitarian bull*****
packgrad
Enjoyed the halftime ACCN interview with Cutcliffe , outside, where the interviewer wore a mask, not covering her nose, brought the mic to her face for the question, then put it in his face for the answer. Mask mandates rule.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

Enjoyed the halftime ACCN interview with Cutcliffe , outside, where the interviewer wore a mask, not covering her nose, brought the mic to her face for the question, then put it in his face for the answer. Mask mandates rule.
This is likely a Duke rule. Wake Forest has the same rule for anyone on the sidelines who is not associated with the team. They must wear a mask at all times. Additionally, if they are face-to-face for any player/coaches interviews during the week, they are also required to be vaccinated and masked. For Duke, they require a mask to be worn at all times, both indoors and outdoors, when on campus. Regardless of vaccination state. At Wake, the mask rule outdoors only applies to sporting events with personnel on the field. Fans in the stands do not have to wear a mask, unless they are in the press box or in a bathroom. When media (sideline reporters and photographers) need to change ends of the field at Wake, they have to go up into the stands and walk along the platform setup for the cheerleaders and dance team to get to the other end. I do not know the rules for Duke regarding this requirement, but I suspect it is the same as what Wake requires.

At State last week, we were required to be masked in the press box and of course fans were asked to wear a mask in the bathrooms. For the media, once we were on the field, the same rules we had two years ago applied this year. No mask required on the field, but we had to wear one in the media workroom on the field level - it is located in a hallway beside the game officials room next to State's halftime locker room. We were also allowed to change ends of the field by walking behind the team's bench area. Additionally, we were allowed to go on the field after the band setup the "tunnel" for the team to run through. I like to be able to get on the ground next to the band, so I can get a good shot of the team running out on the field.
Packchem91
Everpack said:

So what was the justification for the covid test at doc's office? is the high heart rate a symptom (I'd not heard that one).

And why do your daughters need to be out? Are they at same school as your wife so the school knows their mom was tested?
Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

This is likely a Duke rule. Wake Forest has the same rule for anyone on the sidelines who is not associated with the team. They must wear a mask at all times. Additionally, if they are face-to-face for any player/coaches interviews during the week, they are also required to be vaccinated and masked. For Duke, they require a mask to be worn at all times, both indoors and outdoors, when on campus. Regardless of vaccination state. At Wake, the mask rule outdoors only applies to sporting events with personnel on the field. Fans in the stands do not have to wear a mask, unless they are in the press box or in a bathroom. When media (sideline reporters and photographers) need to change ends of the field at Wake, they have to go up into the stands and walk along the platform setup for the cheerleaders and dance team to get to the other end. I do not know the rules for Duke regarding this requirement, but I suspect it is the same as what Wake requires.

At State last week, we were required to be masked in the press box and of course fans were asked to wear a mask in the bathrooms. For the media, once we were on the field, the same rules we had two years ago applied this year. No mask required on the field, but we had to wear one in the media workroom on the field level - it is located in a hallway beside the game officials room next to State's halftime locker room. We were also allowed to change ends of the field by walking behind the team's bench area. Additionally, we were allowed to go on the field after the band setup the "tunnel" for the team to run through. I like to be able to get on the ground next to the band, so I can get a good shot of the team running out on the field.
I'd been meaning to ask -- I didn't see any video footage of the post-game interview of Dave adn the players -- how were those conducted? In person or on zoom?
TheStorm
caryking said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I've also had episodes of elevated heart rate over the last 6 months or so. Never had this happen in my life, and I'm young and healthy. It all started after the vaccine rollout. I'm not vaxxed. I've heard there's been a big increase in heart problems since covid started, and especially after the vaccine rollout. I think that even non-vaxxed people are catching something from the vaxxed....many suspect that they shed the spike protein, and this may be the cause of the heart and other problems.
Sorry, but what GP posted actually IS crazy...
Mormad
Our midnight census is about 150, avg age 58, avg #admissions 27,avg ED admissions 25, avg # discharges 25, length of stay 4.58, pos rate 13

This is the first time I've seen our admission numbers overtake our discharge numbers...it was hanging around 24 admits to 25 discharges. Not a huge change, but a trend that keeps me out of the OR i guess.

Still predict a peak mid sept, with our current trajectory suggesting 40-50 in icu and 180-220 admitted. We'll see. Prediction models have been much more accurate this time, but we never hit the predicted peak numbers last time.
Mormad
There is really no biologic basis for spike protein shedding with mRNA vaccines. Most of it is felt to stay local in the muscle with very little in the blood. We don't shed muscle or blood, and the spike protein never travels to the nose/airway/lungs so I'm not sure how a human would shed it, especially in the amounts necessary to affect other humans in any demonstrable way. The others have no live virus to shed.

Obviously, myocarditis and pericarditis has been reported after vaccination. Mostly in younger males. There have been about 1000 reported cases, so i bet there have been 10000 actual cases. Maybe more? 100,000 lol? Out of 379,000,000 vaccine shots. That's pretty good odds, and likely better than the odds of issues with the disease itself. That's not the kind of risky numbers that would make me hesitate unless i was a male younger than 24.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

GuerrillaPack said:

LOL....thank you.
packgrad
Yes, I understand. I was more mocking the improperly worn cloth mask. Lipstick on a pig.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

GuerrillaPack said:

LOL....thank you.

Punk
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

GuerrillaPack said:

LOL....thank you.

Punk
So it seems you lied about putting me on ignore? Look at it positively, at least I'm not the only one who thinks some of your views are awfully close to being a conspiracy theorist.

Look, you can't even form sentences in talking to me anymore. Lets agree to ignore each other? The board will all be better off for it.

Packchem91
packgrad said:

Yes, I understand. I was more mocking the improperly worn cloth mask. Lipstick on a pig.
I will say --- whatever you think about any benefit from masking, it is difficult not to chuckle when you see a person either (1) riding in a car by themselves with a mask on or (2) wearing it below the nose.
Wayland
Everpack
Packchem91 said:

Everpack said:

So what was the justification for the covid test at doc's office? is the high heart rate a symptom (I'd not heard that one).

And why do your daughters need to be out? Are they at same school as your wife so the school knows their mom was tested?

Hell if I know. She was told she had to be tested when she arrived.

One of my girls goes to the elementary school my wife teaches at. The other is in middle school, and if you're suggesting we go against the protocol and send her anyway, we're on the same page.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

I will say --- whatever you think about any benefit from masking, it is difficult not to chuckle when you see a person either (1) riding in a car by themselves with a mask on or (2) wearing it below the nose.

PackChem, I know you don't believe me - but I still haven't been asked to wear a mask by anyone yet... haven't worn one since Cooper lifted the restrictions back in May. Still don't carry one in the car either.

I'd say about 1 in 5 wearing masks indoors here on the coast. Grocery stores. Restaurants. ABC Stores. My primary care physician's waiting area and examination room. Restrooms at Carter-Finley ( ). Everywhere.

I did see a man driving alone while masked though yesterday and I immediately thought of you bringing it up previously. LOL.
Glasswolf
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

PackChem, I know you don't believe me - but I still haven't been asked to wear a mask by anyone yet... haven't worn one since Cooper lifted the restrictions back in May. Still don't carry one in the car either.

I'd say about 1 in 5 wearing masks indoors here on the coast. Grocery stores. Restaurants. ABC Stores. My primary care physician's waiting area and examination room. Restrooms at Carter-Finley ( ). Everywhere.

I did see a man driving alone while masked though yesterday and I immediately thought of you bringing it up previously. LOL.
I only wear one if there is a sign on the door. When I go to places like the Ale House I wear it when I enter but I take it off when I sit down. I carry one with me at all times. Most of the construction sites I'm on are requiring them at all times
BBW12OG
I'm on construction sites 3-4 days a week across several states. NOT ONE of them have I seen requiring masks other than when they are operating machinery that produces dust where you'd be wearing one anyway.

So I'm throwing the BS flag on that last statement.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
packgrad
caryking
I actually see people wearing them in Triangle. I don't, unless the sign on the door requires it. When I get in and no-one is wearing a mask, then I take it off.

At the beach, very few, if any, are wearing mask. Me included!

BTW, my doctor, last week, told me that he thinks wearing a mask has slowed the normal flu. I have a hard time believing that! Aren't we talking the same "size" virus (microscopic) as Covid? If so, if the mask are helping only just a little, if at all, with Covid, how can they help against the flu?
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

No, I believe you. i think most stores/restaurants have been put in difficult positions and just aren't going to enforce it. The only place I would imagine would be a small business that was really conscientious about it.

Restaurants -- you're gonna be taking it off anyway, so why enforce it?
Big Box stores -- most are so understaffed, they can hardly serve you, so why have someone policing masks?
I did hear the receptionist at my dentist office ask a patient to put his on while waiting in the lobby, but of course, that was short-lived. And of course, on the airlines they continually mention it to people.
Prior to that, last time I heard an employee ask was in a real small fam-run store in HHI.

I'd think a person is more likely to be confronted by another customer, than an employee, in most cases.

Oldsouljer
I've been asked. Went to a barbershop in unincorporated Wake County, that's probably why. Not required but strongly pressured to wear in a Lowe's Foods in non-mandate Wake Forest. Already sent a scathing letter to LF management telling them to knock it off or I'll take my business to Franklin county where nobody cares.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

wow. There were 7k kids out on quarantine because they were "exposed" while maskless at school...so something was bound to change.
Didn't read an article on it yet, but am guessing the county health director must have made the recommendation, because he was the one the Board blamed last meeting for making the kids miss.
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

I only wear one if there is a sign on the door. When I go to places like the Ale House I wear it when I enter but I take it off when I sit down. I carry one with me at all times. Most of the construction sites I'm on are requiring them at all times
This is where I am. If the business asks, I wear it and don't worry about it. Couple of weeks ago, I dodged a rain storm and ran into a Target and realized I didn't have one on. I was the only one I saw w/o one, but no one said anything. I had one thing to get, which i did, avoided people, and left.

Where I live - right at border of Meck County, Union County, and Lancaster (SC) County, a wide range of masking policies and expectations....if they don't ask, I'm not wearing. And I've not seen anywhere outdoors requiring them. Though at the Panthers game yesterday, they have a new thing were a group of 10 or so cheerleaders spend whole game on the outdoor concourse right behind my section....and they wore masks the entire game yesterday. Thought it was a bit weird, since they have them blocked off from the crowd interacting.
Oldsouljer
If GOP gets a supermajority back in N.C. ledge, they need to do this straightaway.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/09/10/kentucky-lawmakers-override-governor-ditch-school-mask-mandate/
Glasswolf
BBW12OG said:

I'm on construction sites 3-4 days a week across several states. NOT ONE of them have I seen requiring masks other than when they are operating machinery that produces dust where you'd be wearing one anyway.

So I'm throwing the BS flag on that last statement.
Barnhill Construction is for sure. I'm doing some reno work at the BB&T building downtown. Mask are required. The River Place project I just finished in Wilmington required them also. Same GC. CT Wilson is requiring them also. No proof of vaccination has been required though.
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

I'd been meaning to ask -- I didn't see any video footage of the post-game interview of Dave adn the players -- how were those conducted? In person or on zoom?
For the early week press conference with Coach Clawson and the players, the media are typically in attendance at the football facility (wearing masks and fully vaccinated). After the first two games, the media have been remote for their interviews with Coach Clawson and the players. The only exception has been the interviews with the sideline reporters. I assume they are required to be vaccinated for the halftime interview and any post game interview, as the coach and select players leave the field.
First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.