Coronavirus

1,980,360 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/lab-leak-media-liberals-covid-china-biden-fauci-investigation.html

This is an excellent article that seems to nutmeg the pitcher right down the middle, and makes some interesting assertions that will likely stimulate reactions here.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

BBW12OG said:

So Chem is it still a right wing conspiracy theory made up by Trumpies that the virus was man made???? Noticed you haven't acknowledged any of the new information about the lab leak.

Wonder why that is? It won't take much digging to remind folks what you and your lefty buddies have said in the past.

Again, its difficult to have an adult conversation if you choose not to be informed or actually pay attention to what someone says. Also, two things can be true at the same time.....some Trump zealots (and Trump himself) could absolutely have gone overboard with conspiracy theories AND we should have always been very wary of anything the Chinese government said.
I've said from very early on in this thread the media / left have gone way too far with fear mongering and basically said some things just out of sheer anti-Trump.

The one thing I pushed back on a year ago was where some here were adamant that the only reason NC shut down was to hurt Trump. I thought that was silly (or , if correct, really misjudged) because of course people would / should blame the person who made that decision, just like we're seeing in Cali with the attempted recall.

So please, spend your time going back and looking at my postings in this thread.

So, are you saying that NC and other Democratic led states did "NOT" use politics when deciding on policy regarding COVID-19? I believe they did as well as certain Republican led States.

You do realize this country has a faction of people that did not like Trumps policies? Forget the persona, just the policies threaten establishment types. The following are a few:

Governor Ducey - Arizona
Governor Kemp - Georgia
Congresswomen Cheney - Wyoming
Bill Krystal - Political Writer
Frank Luntz - Polster
And many more...
dogplasma
As soon as the Covid pressure stared to lift, this thread went south like Sherman.
Wayland
dogplasma said:

As soon as the Covid pressure stared to lift, this thread went south like Sherman.
We are about to go into a long weekend. So going to be a few days until we get data back.

So I'll try and put something quick together.

Based on CDC Data the number of ED visits with Diagnosed COVID is under 1% but with the NC DHHS graph it shows ED CLI at 3%.

Remember CLI is NOT COVID, it is just symptoms that fall into the 'like COVID'. Both numbers are still in decline.

Can see this again in the number of people with CLI who need to stay in the hospital. Last week we actually had a slight increase in the number of CLI in the ED (again NOT COVID. These are people that check any COVID symptom check box whether or not they have been tested positive).

Although the percentage of them admitted declined (yay!). And if we look to the next slide, where it shows the PHE network subset of patients admitted (WITH COVID not just CLI), we see actual COVID admits decreased significantly week over week.

Hopefully these positive trends continue.
Packchem91
Mormad said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/lab-leak-media-liberals-covid-china-biden-fauci-investigation.html

This is an excellent article that seems to nutmeg the pitcher right down the middle, and makes some interesting assertions that will likely stimulate reactions here.
If you wanted to, you could stop reading at this paragraph right at the beginning --- you've already hit the irrefutable truth that, IMO, has completely damaged the media and its ability to rationally cover a story any further:

What the episode does reveal is the vulnerabilities in the mainstream- and liberal-media ecosystem. Media coverage of the lab-leak hypothesis was a debacle, and a major source of that failure was groupthink cultivated on Twitter.

To me, worse, the activity of journalists on social media migrated from providing actual news updates (particularly for sports, which is why I followed so many sports journalists), to using the forum to espouse on all politics. So it completely unmasked them, and you can see all there biases -- R or L. And after that, it becomes much more difficult to really believe any "news" they report.

I mean, TBH, knowing BBW12's strong-willed biases (which are not necessarily any more ardent than some of the really vocally left media types out there), would you believe him if he tried to report the veracity of news facts? No way. And so it is with some of these loud-mouth "look at me" types like CNN is popping up everywhere.
TheStorm
Mormad said:

Twitter had nothing to do with it... they weren't going to support anything that might be construed as helpful to "Trump" in any manner regardless, they were in full-on "electioneering" mode and they don't deserve a pass (or to be presented an "alternative excuse") for any of it. Everyone knows what it was...
caryking
Packchem91 said:

Mormad said:

If you wanted to, you could stop reading at this paragraph right at the beginning --- you've already hit the irrefutable truth that, IMO, has completely damaged the media and its ability to rationally cover a story any further:

What the episode does reveal is the vulnerabilities in the mainstream- and liberal-media ecosystem. Media coverage of the lab-leak hypothesis was a debacle, and a major source of that failure was groupthink cultivated on Twitter.

To me, worse, the activity of journalists on social media migrated from providing actual news updates (particularly for sports, which is why I followed so many sports journalists), to using the forum to espouse on all politics. So it completely unmasked them, and you can see all there biases -- R or L. And after that, it becomes much more difficult to really believe any "news" they report.

I mean, TBH, knowing BBW12's strong-willed biases (which are not necessarily any more ardent than some of the really vocally left media types out there), would you believe him if he tried to report the veracity of news facts? No way. And so it is with some of these loud-mouth "look at me" types like CNN is popping up everywhere.
BBW makes no bones about where he stands politically. Media types try and hide behind objective reporting. So, I would start with more leniency with BBW than Media types...
Packchem91
pineknollshoresking said:

Packchem91 said:

Mormad said:

BBW makes no bones about where he stands politically. Media types try and hide behind objective reporting. So, I would start with more leniency with BBW than Media types...
Right -- my point is, 10 years ago, we may have assumed, but now, with SM, we KNOW. So that fuels the complete distrust even more. So then news/opinions become blurred, and its often difficult to discern.

And we as consumers then have morphed too...we want "team news", not news.
And to be clear, this is not a R/L issue....both sides are equally guilty
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Mormad said:

Right -- my point is, 10 years ago, we may have assumed, but now, with SM, we KNOW. So that fuels the complete distrust even more. So then news/opinions become blurred, and its often difficult to discern.

As I have mentioned several times. I read and watch news from different sources, both left-leaning and right-leaning. Where they agree is fact and where they disagree is opinion. I find a lot of what we call news today is really just opinion. As my mother used to say, do not believe everything you read and only half what you see.

As you said, there is bias on both sides. I consume news the way I mentioned, to try and cut through as much of the bias as possible. The big issue we have today with mainstream media is that many are just activists, posing as objective media. They are using their positions to advance a cause, just like any other special interest activists and lobbyists.

I have spent an entire year going after WRAL and some other organizations on Twitter for their sensationalized and blatantly biased reporting on Covid. I have done so with data, graphs, and science. WRAL's goal is not to inform, it is influence the general population and to sell advertising. The selling of advertising allows them the ability to advance their message and biases even further. The more sensational they can make the stories, the more eyeballs they can get and he more money they can charge for advertising.

Basically, WRAL (and other organizations) does not want the truth to get in the way of a good story.
Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Mormad said:

As I have mentioned several times. I read and watch news from different sources, both left-leaning and right-leaning. Where they agree is fact and where they disagree is opinion. I find a lot of what we call news today is really just opinion. As my mother used to say, do not believe everything you read and only half what you see.

As you said, there is bias on both sides. I consume news the way I mentioned, to try and cut through as much of the bias as possible. The big issue we have today with mainstream media is that many are just activists, posing as objective media. They are using their positions to advance a cause, just like any other special interest activists and lobbyists.

I have spent an entire year going after WRAL and some other organizations on Twitter for their sensationalized and blatantly biased reporting on Covid. I have done so with data, graphs, and science. WRAL's goal is not to inform, it is influence the general population and to sell advertising. The selling of advertising allows them the ability to advance their message and biases even further. The more sensational they can make the stories, the more eyeballs they can get and he more money they can charge for advertising.

Basically, WRAL (and other organizations) does not want the truth to get in the way of a good story.
Well said. The bold section -- I think that is "most mainstream media", not just WRAL - and agree, it is a huge issue.
I do like you, but on a more limited basis -- look at L and R leaning sources...and the difference in the headlines, which stories are active, and the pictures they use, tells you all you need to know about the problem with reporting "news". News should not be different between these sources, other than the degree to which they get scoops, etc.

Example: CNN reports on Donald Trump much more than Joe Biden, even today.
bigeric
Anything going on with Corona today?

Hard to tell so far.
Wayland
bigeric said:

Hard to tell so far.

All good. Hospitalizations staying in the high 600s, still too sticky.

COVID ICU number for NC is at an all time low at 200 (for reference when the number was first reported on June 4, 2020 it was 271).

7 day average of daily reported cases is in the 700s now.

Deaths have been in a slow flat decline since March. It is mostly noise now, somehow the state keeps finding deaths from last September. I think they reported 7 of them today.

There is not currently an emergency in NC, but for some reason still emergency orders.

Daviewolf83
It's OFFICIAL!! Today, the US hit the point where 50% of the population (not just adults) have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

bigeric said:

Hard to tell so far.

All good. Hospitalizations staying in the high 600s, still too sticky.

COVID ICU number for NC is at an all time low at 200 (for reference when the number was first reported on June 4, 2020 it was 271).

7 day average of daily reported cases is in the 700s now.

Deaths have been in a slow flat decline since March. It is mostly noise now, somehow the state keeps finding deaths from last September. I think they reported 7 of them today.

There is not currently an emergency in NC, but for some reason still emergency orders.

Daily admits to hospitals are now starting to trend in the 70 per day range, versus the 120+ range we saw for a few weeks. As a result, I do think you will see the number hospitalized fall to around 400 in the next three to four weeks. Hospitalizations are sticky and I do think many are long-haul patients who had very severe cases. Additionally, some of those hospitalized are older patients who have other health conditions, beyond Covid-19. They may have recovered from Covid, but the other health conditions are keeping them hospitalized. These patients would remain classified as Covid patients, even if they are hospitalized for other conditions.

Mormad provided data earlier on the number of patients in his hospital group and if you look at the total number of those hospitalized for the region, his numbers seem reasonable. As an example, Moses Cone is in the THPC hospital group. This group currently shows 159 patients admitted for Covid. There are 26 hospitals listed in this group, which means the average number of Covid patients per hospital is 6 patients per hospital. I suspect some of these hospitals do not have any Covid patients and if you assume only half of those hospitals have Covid patients, it means there are 12 patients per hospital. This is close to the number Mormad provided and seems reasonable for a hospital in a larger city.
Daviewolf83
It appears Dr. Fauci is a big fan of "gain of function" research. In a paper from 2012, Dr. Fauci argued the benefits of "gain of function" research outweighed pandemic risk.

wilmwolf
That guy would do himself a big favor by simply shutting up. It's getting to the point that you can't even keep up with how many times he's contradicted himself.
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/CPbhGb9Fsg9

Quote:

Fauci at one point declared the quarter-pounder to be "the worst sandwich of all time, a real anti-science disaster," before moments later calling it "a delicious burger and mankind's greatest achievement and anyone who does not order it is a bigot."
Mormad
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives

Wow. Just wow.
packgrad
Yep.

GuerrillaPack
I said from the very beginning that masks provided no protection. There were numerous medical studies done over many decades prior to 2020 demonstrating that mask-wearing did not provide protection against transmission of disease. Even King Fauci and the US Surgeon General initially told the public to not wear masks.

Then, suddenly in early 2020 after initially telling people to not wear masks, the "science" magically changed with new studies saying they did provide protection.

Now they're studying this Scamdemic and finding that they provided no meaningful protection. Look at how many states which either never had mask mandates or ended their mask mandates long ago (like Texas) had the lowest cases throughout this charade.

https://instagr.am/p/CPYfGL7NwTB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2021/05/26/new-study-refutes-fauci-efficacy-of-mask-mandates-n2589990%3famp=true
Oldsouljer
More accurate to say that masks are ineffective at preventing viral-borne disease, masks can help against bacteria in some cases. But yes, it's ludicrous to think that corona viruses, which are equivalent in size to hemorrhagic fever viruses, can be protected against by anything less than a military-grade gas mask using activated charcoal filters. And hemorrhagic fever virus workers use tethered or portable supplied air, NOT filtered, respirators.
GuerrillaPack
Oldsouljer said:

More accurate to say that masks are ineffective at preventing viral-borne disease, masks can help against bacteria in some cases. But yes, it's ludicrous to think that corona viruses, which are equivalent in size to hemorrhagic fever viruses, can be protected against by anything less than a military-grade gas mask using activated charcoal filters. And hemorrhagic fever virus workers use tethered or portable supplied air, NOT filtered, respirators.

If this thing was so deadly and like the second coming of the Black Plague, why weren't doctors in full hazmat suits around the Rona patients? But no, and they tell the public that tying a loose bandana on your face is going to do something. The whole thing is a farce of gigantic proportions.
Daviewolf83
Here's a link to the video from 2012 where Dr. Fauci argues "gain of function" research is worth the risk of a pandemic. If you read the Twitter thread, you will see how the government has tried to hide this video and the Congressional record by scrubbing Dr. Fauci's name for the searchable records.

Additionally, Dr. Fauci failed to alert the Whitehouse when the "gain of function" research ban was lifted. As I have said before - Fauci is a big proponent of "gain of function" research, so we should not be surprised when he failed to let people know this research was possible again.

Just so everyone is aware, EcoHealth Alliance (I have mentioned them before) distributed nearly $600,000 of National Institute of Health (NIH) grant money over six years to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Much of this money was to study the risk of coronavirus outbreaks from bats. We also know from grant filings that some of this money funded "gain of function" research on coronaviruses obtained from bats. Remember Dr. Fauci testified under oath to the Senate a few weeks ago that the NIH does not nor has every funded "gain of function" research in Wuhan - which we now know was a lie.

I hope The Elf keeps talking, since the more he talks, the deeper he digs his hole.

Mormad
GuerrillaPack said:

Oldsouljer said:

If this thing was so deadly and like the second coming of the Black Plague, why weren't doctors in full hazmat suits around the Rona patients? But no, and they tell the public that tying a loose bandana on your face is going to do something. The whole thing is a farce of gigantic proportions.

Oh, please tell us what doctors wear when in contact with known covid patients and the reasoning behind it.
Mormad
Daviewolf83 said:

Here's a link to the video from 2012 where Dr. Fauci argues "gain of function" research is worth the risk of a pandemic. If you read the Twitter thread, you will see how the government has tried to hide this video and the Congressional record by scrubbing Dr. Fauci's name for the searchable records.

Additionally, Dr. Fauci failed to alert the Whitehouse when the "gain of function" research ban was lifted. As I have said before - Fauci is a big proponent of "gain of function" research, so we should not be surprised when he failed to let people know this research was possible again.

Just so everyone is aware, EcoHealth Alliance (I have mentioned them before) distributed nearly $600,000 of National Institute of Health (NIH) grant money over six years to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Much of this money was to study the risk of coronavirus outbreaks from bats. We also know from grant filings that some of this money funded "gain of function" research on coronaviruses obtained from bats. Remember Dr. Fauci testified under oath to the Senate a few weeks ago that the NIH does not nor has every funded "gain of function" research in Wuhan - which we now know was a lie.

I hope The Elf keeps talking, since the more he talks, the deeper he digs his hole.

This gives me mixed feelings. Watching that video is probably only the 3rd time I've ever heard him speak. I didn't even know he had an accent. So I tried to (for the most part) watch this in a vacuum, without the hindsight afforded by the pandemic. (While there are lots of reasons for people to hate him now, i tried not to assume there were reasons to hate him then and i tried to assume he's forgotten more about virology research than I'll ever know).

I found myself asking these questions: Is anything he said in 2012 untrue? Is there potential benefit to gain of function research as he states? If there is no deviation from the things he assumed in 2012 (recognition of the risks and measures taken to mitigate those risks) is the potential benefit higher than the risks? I couldn't help but think about what went through the minds of researchers on the Manhattan project and the potential risk: benefit ratio of exposing the power of splitting an atom. What about now that there has been a pandemic because of assumed deviation from safe practices or malevolent intent? Has his risk: benefit ratio changed and does he feel the same now? Does anyone believe there isn't risky research being done all over the globe right now and what is being done to prevent similar disasters?

Anyway. Thanks for posting that. It made me think.
wilmwolf
The Manhattan project is an interesting reference. Oppenheimer seemed pretty dubious on his role in the creation of the bomb, with the Bhagavad Gita quote and all, and did a lot of things post war to try and curb nuclear proliferation and the pending arms race. Is Faucci become death, the destroyer of worlds?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Oldsouljer
Mormad said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Oldsouljer said:

Oh, please tell us what doctors wear when in contact with known covid patients and the reasoning behind
Government says you'll wear a mask to see your patients, you wear a mask to see your patients.
packgrad
TheStorm
Mormad said:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives

Wow. Just wow.
Which article? There were several on that homepage...
Mormad
Sorry, the one about fraud being committed
Mormad
packgrad said:

Questionable-cause logical fallacy? Cardify looked at 1600 people that use Drop. Not exactly a cross sectional view of America, especially when comparing groups who were prone to vaccination vs those opposed. No demographics mentioned at all except to interview a 69yo AA female. That said, it is logical to assume that younger, more risk tolerant people will revert toward normalcy faster than older, less risk tolerant people. More power to them.
Mormad
Oldsouljer said:

Mormad said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Oldsouljer said:

Oh, please tell us what doctors wear when in contact with known covid patients and the reasoning behind
Government says you'll wear a mask to see your patients, you wear a mask to see your patients.

Lol true true. But even vaxxed docs can figure out on their own that they should wear a mask around known covid patients.
wilmwolf
Found this interesting.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/story/news/2021/05/26/novant-health-reports-nearly-third-staff-not-yet-covid-19-vaccinated/5060556001/
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
GuerrillaPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Found this interesting.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/story/news/2021/05/26/novant-health-reports-nearly-third-staff-not-yet-covid-19-vaccinated/5060556001/

Just as with the general population, there is a large portion within the medical community (nurses, doctors) who know that vaccines are harmful, and will not take them.
Mormad
GuerrillaPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Found this interesting.

Just as with the general population, there is a large portion within the medical community (nurses, doctors) who know that vaccines are harmful, and will not take them.

I haven't talked to a single person in the medical community who will not get the vaccine because "they know vaccines are harmful." While those people do exist, to suggest it's a "large portion" doesn't seem to be true. In fact, most "(doctors/nurses)" have chosen to be vaccinated. Others in the medical community who have chosen not to, at least in my observation, have been non medical staff (OR circulators, clinical support staff, housekeeping, etc). Reasons cited have included: distrust in the safety of the vaccine because of rapidity of release, political and cultural bias, natural immunity, and the belief they work on an area where their risk of exposure is minimized.
First Page Last Page
Page 285 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.