Coronavirus

2,001,123 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by Werewolf
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I'm under 14 day self quarantine due to a fever and sore throat
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

IseWolf22
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't know. Just posting what was reported in the article. I would expect the number of tests and number of people being tested should be increasing exponentially based on the number of tests that are becoming available after the initial shortage. Anecdotally, on Monday I didn't know anyone that had been tested, but yesterday four different friends reported on social media that they had been tested and were awaiting results. Ultimately the point of what I posted wasn't the total number of tests, it was the low number of hospitalizations.
I agree hospitalizations are low.

The original article has now been updated btw. It was 10,000 tests, not 100,000
statefan91
Glasswolf said:

Best wishes, are you under quarantine because you had symptoms but they didn't give you the covid test?
wilmwolf
If the number of national tests performed listed on the previous page is accurate, and NC has apparently performed 23,000 tests (counting the 13,000 pending), that would mean that NC has performed roughly 6% of the tests performed in the country and territories. That seems to be an inordinately high number, especially given the low rate of positive tests (5% currently) here. We've come a long way from complaining a week ago that we only had 200 tests available in the state. Just interesting to me.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
This page showed about 10k tests with 500 positives -
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/covid-19-case-count-nc
wilmwolf
Right, but there are 13,000 pending tests according the News and Observer article I linked earlier today. That would bring the number to 23,000 total tests.
RunsWithWolves26
Just heard Dr. Mark Segal say that NY is Wuhan 2.0. He said he would like to see the USA do to NY what China did to Wuhan because it isn't a epic event nation wide but it is in that specific state. He makes a good point actually considering 57% of all cases are in NY.
Ground_Chuck
TopsailWolf said:

That's maybe one month of bills. What about May, June, or July?

That's the reason for the enhanced UI.
wilmwolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Just heard Dr. Mark Segal say that NY is Wuhan 2.0. He said he would like to see the USA do to NY what China did to Wuhan because it isn't a epic event nation wide but it is in that specific state. He makes a good point actually considering 57% of all cases are in NY.
That I agree with. It seems impractical to treat every area the same. We tend to think of the US as this big, homogeneous place, but in reality, it's more like a collection of a bunch of small countries and population centers. It's simply not going to affect a rural NC town in the same way it affects NYC. A few pages ago I noted that the population density of NYC is 26,000 people per square mile. It's going to run through that place like crazy, even if people are sheltering in place.
RunsWithWolves26
wilmwolf80 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

That I agree with. It seems impractical to treat every area the same. We tend to think of the US as this big, homogeneous place, but in reality, it's more like a collection of a bunch of small countries and population centers. It's simply not going to affect a rural NC town in the same way it affects NYC. A few pages ago I noted that the population density of NYC is 26,000 people per square mile. It's going to run through that place like crazy, even if people are sheltering in place.

Yep. That's why I agreed with what he said. You can't treat the entire country like you do NY. Hell, if Cuomo has it his way, nobody else in the country will have supplies. He has been screaming about send us everything now and whenever we get done, we will send it somewhere else to help others. That doesn't make a lot of sense. You can't send everything to one place and nothing anywhere else. Yes, you can send a majority to one place but he seems to be wanting everything and *****ing because he didn't get more billions with this "stimulas" crap
Glasswolf
statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Best wishes, are you under quarantine because you had symptoms but they didn't give you the covid test?
No test unless I get worse. I just mentioned a fever and sore throat to my Ops Mgr and it snowballed from there

statefan91
Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

No test unless I get worse. I just mentioned a fever and sore throat to my Ops Mgr and it snowballed from there
So in my opinion, you're a prime example of someone that should be able to get tested and then know whether or not you have to isolate. It's ridiculous that there aren't enough testing supplies to test anyone that they would then direct to isolate.
cmast
RunsWithWolves26 said:

It's still crazy that over half the cases in the country come from 1 state. De Blasio and Coumo make it sound like what they are dealing with will be every single state in 2 weeks but I just don't see it. It's gonna be really hard to duplicate what is happening in NY to every other state. Regardless, I believe this entire event should be taken seriously. At the same time, at what point do things turn really bad with no economy anymore? Something needs to change and I believe the extreme I crease in testing is that something. We have tested in 8 days what SK did in 8 weeks, if I heard Dr. Berx right yesterday. That is moving in the right direction.
i tend to agree so long as folk in NY metro area don't leave and go all over, which apparently they've been doing. stay the **** home.

re: testing--our numbers are ramping up, which is really good, but the SK comparison, while making a nice sound bite, is really nonsensical. They are a country of 50 million people. We are a country of 330 million people. Their per capita testing, which is really the number to compare, is 6 times ours.
Wayland
Just announced in the Governor's update...

29 people in the hospital with Corona (not ICU mind you that is likely much much smaller) ... 29 people IN THE WHOLE STATE.

We could so go to the SK method of testing, identifying, and isolating clusters as they happen. The fact that we are at a stay at home over 29 hospitalizations is kind of crazy.

The state needs to get their asses in gear with real statistics and testing.

NY is in a much different place, but they also have many different variables like population density and mass transit. NYC needs to be treated more seriously than elsewhere.
cmast
statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

So in my opinion, you're a prime example of someone that should be able to get tested and then know whether or not you have to isolate. It's ridiculous that there aren't enough testing supplies to test anyone that they would then direct to isolate.
yep and this is where south korea has lapped us. If all the mild symptom cases were tested, we'd have a ton more cases (which on the surface would be bad), but this 20% requiring hospitalization number and death rates (which are the most important numbers probably) would go way down.
Glasswolf
statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

I'm going to the doctor in the morning to eliminate the flu and strep. We will go from there

statefan91
Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

I'm going to the doctor in the morning to eliminate the flu and strep. We will go from there
Ok - that's what they did for my wife. She came back negative on those and got the COVID test, then took five days (test Wednesday, results Monday) to clear her.
WarrenPeace
I agree. I know it's bad and really bad some places but yesterday they said 52 counties in N.C. had reported cases. Why is the whole state out of school?
Wolfpacker009
Wayland said:

29 people in the hospital with Corona (not ICU mind you that is likely much much smaller) ... 29 people IN THE WHOLE STATE.

We could so go to the SK method of testing, identifying, and isolating clusters as they happen. The fact that we are at a stay at home over 29 hospitalizations is kind of crazy.

NY is in a much different place, but they also have many different variables like population density and mass transit. NYC needs to be treated more seriously than elsewhere.

While I understand what you are saying, this tells me more that what we put in place is working. It also gives me some peace of mind as we're about to have our 4th child in May.

It's been very challenging being quarantined or whatever you want to call it, especially with young kids at home. However, I'd much rather have that than the alternatives we see elsewhere.
Wayland
Wolfpacker009 said:

Wayland said:

While I understand what you are saying, this tells me more that what we put in place is working. It also gives me some peace of mind as we're about to have our 4th child in May.

It's been very challenging being quarantined or whatever you want to call it, especially with young kids at home. However, I'd much rather have that than the alternatives we see elsewhere.

I get we need to take a short pause. BUT the state should then be using these few weeks to implement a solid test strategy in order to identify and isolate outbreaks as they happen instead of peddling fear.

Get some real data, and make some informed decisions. Use resources judiciously instead of causing a panic.

Yes, 14 day isolation when ill and unsure needs to be the standard for now. Yes, people who show symptoms should be tested and identified IMMEDIATELY.

But Cooper doesn't need to be Cuomo. Their two realities are completely different.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

I totally agree, but this State has chosen a different route that will lead to long-term economic effects. The state of NC can use Test and Trace, separate from what other states do. Each county could also chose to do Test and Trace, separate from what the State does as a whole.

Test and Trace means you test anyone who deals with people as part of their jobs (healthcare workers, workers in nursing/assisted living, grocery store, food handlers) and anyone who presents with any symptoms. If they are found to be positive for Corona Virus, they are put on immediate quarantine. This the Testing phase. Secondly, you find those people who they have been in contact with (immediate family, patients, visitors to a store/restaurant) and you test them. If any of them are found to be positive, they are put in immediate quarantine. Quarantine does not mean you still go out to the store or host people at your house. It means you go into your house/apartment and stay there for 14 days.

Anyone who tests negative to the virus is free to go about their lives. They can go back to work, they can serve people food, they can exercise, etc. Life at this point begins to return to more normal levels and the economy can start back up. To do this level of testing, you have to have lots of tests available and labs to administer the test. There is currently a self-test trial underway in Washington and if successful (early reports are promising) and it should be something that gets adopted. It does not require the deep swab used for the current tests, so swabs should be more readily available.

Currently, cities (Raleigh as an example) have decided to decrease (yes I said the correctly) the amount of testing they are doing.This is absolutely the wrong approach. They say they are doing it to keep people from consuming the time/resources of the current healthcare system and to decrease the amount of infection by not having people out looking for the tests. At this rate, we will not get back to work and normal levels for several months (have heard some say 90 days).

As to NY, all travel to and from NY should be immediately suspended, just like we did with China. The same is likely true for LA, San Francisco, and Washington. I am afraid many people from these places have already left to escape the virus and unknowingly, will be affecting other areas of the country - basically spreading the virus even more.
RunsWithWolves26
What would help this in response to freeing up resources is what Dr. Berx mentioned Monday. Having the ability to self test, swab for the virus. Another thing that would/will help is the company from CA sending out the test that gives results in 45 mins. So much CA be done but isn't or hasn't been done yet. Keeping everything shut down in the end, is going to cause a lot more hard then this virus will.
cmast
Davie, the testing in your scenario will not be the time/resource sink. The tracking will be. Can not imagine the inordinate amount of resources that must require.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

What would help this in response to freeing up resources is what Dr. Berx mentioned Monday. Having the ability to self test, swab for the virus. Another thing that would/will help is the company from CA sending out the test that gives results in 45 mins. So much CA be done but isn't or hasn't been done yet. Keeping everything shut down in the end, is going to cause a lot more hard then this virus will.
I agree and this is where we have a crisis of leadership in this area. They need to find a fast and effective test (like you point out California is using) and start using it nationwide. I just heard Winston-Salem has put stay at home orders in place (like Charlotte and Durham), even though they only have 15 confirmed cases (out of a 245,000 people) and no deaths. It goes into effect on Friday and runs to April 16. Yes, they shutdown all businesses (except those deemed essential) due to 0.006% of the population having a virus.
RunsWithWolves26
My question is at what point is the decision made to open things back up? Does the curve have to start going down, level off, slow it's increase, etc? I mean, what is the point the government thinks they need to see to get the economy opened back up? Because this stimulus **** ain't gonna do it.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I agree and this is where we have a crisis of leadership in this area. They need to find a fast and effective test (like you point out California is using) and start using it nationwide. I just heard Winston-Salem has put stay at home orders in place (like Charlotte and Durham), even though they only have 15 confirmed cases (out of a 245,000 people) and no deaths. It goes into effect on Friday and runs to April 16. Yes, they shutdown all businesses (except those deemed essential) due to 0.006% of the population having a virus.

Yep. At some point, something has to change. There has to be a tipping point.
statefan91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

My question is at what point is the decision made to open things back up? Does the curve have to start going down, level off, slow it's increase, etc? I mean, what is the point the government thinks they need to see to get the economy opened back up? Because this stimulus **** ain't gonna do it.
Yeah, I have no clue what this looks like. I hope it's in April but is it a state decision to go back? County? National companies probably won't be jumping the gun to open back up if there's not a wave of other's doing so.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Yeah, I have no clue what this looks like. I hope it's in April but is it a state decision to go back? County? National companies probably won't be jumping the gun to open back up if there's not a wave of other's doing so.

I wonder that myself. Who is actually in charge of making that call? Whoever it is, better get their collective heads out their asses and do something. If they don't, there won't be nothing to get back to doing.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

The tipping point is when daily changes in the number of cases begins to decline. However, to know this with any accuracy, you have to test. Additionally, you have to Test and Trace as the lock-downs end and people begin to return to work. Quite frankly, the FDA needs to look to fast track testing methodologies that produce results in less than a day. I have not been impressed by the leaders of the FDA or the CDC through most of this crisis.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

The tipping point is when daily changes in the number of cases begins to decline. However, to know this with any accuracy, you have to test. Additionally, you have to Test and Trace as the lock-downs end and people begin to return to work. Quite frankly, the FDA needs to look to fast track testing methodologies that produce results in less than a day. I have not been impressed by the leaders of the FDA or the CDC through most of this crisis.

Well if that's the case, the numbers probably won't start declining for at least 4 more weeks. Hate to say it, but 4 more weeks of 90% of **** shutdown leaves 100% of nothing to come back to and start back up. As I stated above, this stimulus ain't gonna do **** for that scenario. Extend unemployment 4 months if you want to but 4 more weeks of this will mean that those jobs ain't coming back and that extended unemployment ain't gonna do much in the end.
statefan91
Is there anything being reported from NC on the # of test kits available in NC? I would like to know if NC has enough test kits that anyone that should get a test can get one immediately? If not, why not?
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Is there anything being reported from NC on the # of test kits available in NC? I would like to know if NC has enough test kits that anyone that should get a test can get one immediately? If not, why not?

Couldn't find that but did find this little tidbit of info on testing results time.

https://www.today.com/video/new-coronavirus-test-in-north-carolina-takes-only-4-hours-to-see-results-80961605870
RunsWithWolves26
I will say I have ZERO confidence in any government official to be able to do anything even half ass decent. ****, they can't even pass a "stimulus" bill without making it political and adding **** into it that has NOTHING to do with coronavirus. Sorry, got off topic. I just can't have any confidence that they can do anything right, especially with this entire situation. Damn I am wish they had term limits. Rant over. Hoping for better coronavirus news tomorrow!
RunsWithWolves26
432,000 test have been completed, not including local labs. Pence says they are adding tens of thousands of test every day.
RunsWithWolves26
Dr. Berx says four counties in NY account for 56% of cases and new cases so far
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.