Coronavirus

2,001,841 Views | 19845 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Werewolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Dr. Berx says four counties in NY account for 56% of cases and new cases so far

In NY? Or nationwide?
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Dr. Berx says four counties in NY account for 56% of cases and new cases so far

In NY? Or nationwide?

The way I understood it was they account for 56% of cases nationwide. Basically those 4 counties are the counties in NY hardest hit and accounting for the number of cases greater then half the total cases
vanuel
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Just announced in the Governor's update...

29 people in the hospital with Corona (not ICU mind you that is likely much much smaller) ... 29 people IN THE WHOLE STATE.

We could so go to the SK method of testing, identifying, and isolating clusters as they happen. The fact that we are at a stay at home over 29 hospitalizations is kind of crazy.

The state needs to get their asses in gear with real statistics and testing.

NY is in a much different place, but they also have many different variables like population density and mass transit. NYC needs to be treated more seriously than elsewhere.
I totally agree, but this State has chosen a different route that will lead to long-term economic effects. The state of NC can use Test and Trace, separate from what other states do. Each county could also chose to do Test and Trace, separate from what the State does as a whole.

Test and Trace means you test anyone who deals with people as part of their jobs (healthcare workers, workers in nursing/assisted living, grocery store, food handlers) and anyone who presents with any symptoms. If they are found to be positive for Corona Virus, they are put on immediate quarantine. This the Testing phase. Secondly, you find those people who they have been in contact with (immediate family, patients, visitors to a store/restaurant) and you test them. If any of them are found to be positive, they are put in immediate quarantine. Quarantine does not mean you still go out to the store or host people at your house. It means you go into your house/apartment and stay there for 14 days.

Anyone who tests negative to the virus is free to go about their lives. They can go back to work, they can serve people food, they can exercise, etc. Life at this point begins to return to more normal levels and the economy can start back up. To do this level of testing, you have to have lots of tests available and labs to administer the test. There is currently a self-test trial underway in Washington and if successful (early reports are promising) and it should be something that gets adopted. It does not require the deep swab used for the current tests, so swabs should be more readily available.

Currently, cities (Raleigh as an example) have decided to decrease (yes I said the correctly) the amount of testing they are doing.This is absolutely the wrong approach. They say they are doing it to keep people from consuming the time/resources of the current healthcare system and to decrease the amount of infection by not having people out looking for the tests. At this rate, we will not get back to work and normal levels for several months (have heard some say 90 days).

As to NY, all travel to and from NY should be immediately suspended, just like we did with China. The same is likely true for LA, San Francisco, and Washington. I am afraid many people from these places have already left to escape the virus and unknowingly, will be affecting other areas of the country - basically spreading the virus even more.
Excellent post. Regarding NY, that cat is already out of the bag. One of my employees picked up his wife's family at RDU last Wednesday. Ridiculous. I have him sheltered at home until at least next Wednesday and honestly, I'm not sure that I am willing to bring him back even then.

We know where the hot spots are. The blueprint for getting out of this mess is already out there as you say. The current situation is NOT sustainable for months on end. We will all be wiped out.
GuerrillaPack
For some good "alternative" coverage of this coronavirus "crisis", check out the following YouTube channels:

Joe Imbriano aka The Fullerton Informer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVt3STOc1XNEWOIWYW0UKaA

The Last American Vagabond: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ClYrAtDNAGy5J0N-AwBNw

Richie From Boston: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDC6kQcOgMw1fNTwgiBn_Q

TM Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmmKuog5uy3BpakX9ZMQI7Q

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Ground_Chuck
Ground_Chuck said:

498 cases in NC; 55,000k nationwide.

567 cases in NC; 68,500 nationwide
statefan91
Where are you seeing your numbers? I know the NCDHHS only updates once a day and they have 504 from yesterday, but the N&O had articles yesterday saying 600+
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Where are you seeing your numbers? I know the NCDHHS only updates once a day and they have 504 from yesterday, but the N&O had articles yesterday saying 600+

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Someone linked earlier in thread and mentioned to keep window open with it on it. I do. Good stuff.
statefan91
Thanks - I looked at their source data links and don't know where they're getting their numbers. NCDHHS says 504 in yesterday's numbers but N&O says over 600. Either way, this sucks that we're shut down with no end in sight and no large scale ramp up in testing.
Ground_Chuck
I'm just trying to be consistent where I'm grabbing numbers, so worldometers.

John Hopkins has a nice site (coronavirus.jhu.edu). They have the number as 625 NC, 69000 US.
statefan91
No worries, I was just curious
IseWolf22
Ground_Chuck said:

I'm just trying to be consistent where I'm grabbing numbers, so worldometers.

John Hopkins has a nice site (coronavirus.jhu.edu). They have the number as 625 NC, 69000 US.
I use the John Hopkins site

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
wilmwolf
I think we really need a widely available test to show if people have had the virus previously, not just who has it now. The more I read, the more I think this has moved through the country much more than is currently thought. People with mild or no symptoms, which is reportedly a large majority of the folks that get it, are highly unlikely to have been tested. I'm seeing other places revise their estimates on the severity and longevity of the virus based on that same thought. So much of what is being done right now is based on fears of the unknown, and I'm not sure that is a good enough reason to take some of the steps we have. Obviously social distancing is helpful, obviously protecting at risk people is paramount, I just question the other things we are doing, particularly in areas so far barely affected by the virus.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
IseWolf22
wilmwolf80 said:

I think we really need a widely available test to show if people have had the virus previously, not just who has it now. The more I read, the more I think this has moved through the country much more than is currently thought. People with mild or no symptoms, which is reportedly a large majority of the folks that get it, are highly unlikely to have been tested. I'm seeing other places revise their estimates on the severity and longevity of the virus based on that same thought. So much of what is being done right now is based on fears of the unknown, and I'm not sure that is a good enough reason to take some of the steps we have. Obviously social distancing is helpful, obviously protecting at risk people is paramount, I just question the other things we are doing, particularly in areas so far barely affected by the virus.
Other countries already have these tests and are using them. We can do it in research labs today in the US. It's an Assay testing for the presence of specific antibodies.

I don't know why it isn't being used more in the US.
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

Agree - I think there are a lot of people who also had "flu" symptoms in the late fall / early winter timeframe that didn't know they had coronavirus. Social distancing is helpful I guess, but for how long? How long is realistic?
RunsWithWolves26
3.3 million unemployment claims from March 15-21. Something better happen soon. I'm not a very smart human being but there ain't an economy if numbers even close to that continue. I get the fear of the unknown, etc but as others have stated above, this country better figure out how to mirror what South Korea did and is doing or that nothing "stimulus" passed yesterday ain't gonna do nothing. I wish I knew how many already had it but I don't. I keep thinking each day I will wake up and see progress made but each day I am disappointed. Here's hoping today will be that day.
wilmwolf
And unless something changes in a hurry, a number of those jobs aren't coming back. Most restaurants and bars operate on razor thin margins. Without money coming in, they won't be able to pay the rent, even with all their employees laid off. And maybe new things open up in their place, but I already know a few of my local spots probably won't make it. Personally, I'm self employed and as of today still working. I could make it a few months without having to dip into savings, but after that, times would get pretty tough.
Bas2020
Like him or not Trump was right . We need to get people back to work ASAP ...or we will skip recession and go straight to depression and all of us will be affected or have loved ones in deep despair .
cowboypack02
wilmwolf80 said:

And unless something changes in a hurry, a number of those jobs aren't coming back. Most restaurants and bars operate on razor thin margins. Without money coming in, they won't be able to pay the rent, even with all their employees laid off. And maybe new things open up in their place, but I already know a few of my local spots probably won't make it. Personally, I'm self employed and as of today still working. I could make it a few months without having to dip into savings, but after that, times would get pretty tough.
This was the stupidity of just the blanket closing of the economy and businesses. It didn't need to happen this way and it is going to cause issues for years to come. We could of been smart with the approach that we took and not had this happen but panic driven by the media and politicians ruled the day.

We could of used common sense and asked people to stay away from the elderly, had local governments close areas where the worse impacts were, and made accommodations to make sure that we kept things running as much as possible. Instead we shut down the entire country when 55% of all cases of the coronavirus are in NYC. Even here in NC the majority of cases are in Raleigh and Charlotte, so maybe we should take care of things there. We didn't do that. The governor just shut down things completely in the state for the most part. The restaurants in downtown Edenton have had to lay people off for something that doesn't even impact them. Its a joke. Those jobs aren't going to be coming back for some and the people who are making these decisions aren't impacted by that loss. Damn shame...
cowboypack02
Glasswolf said:

Well I'm under 14 day self quarantine due to a fever and sore throat
How are you feeling today brother?
packgrad
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

One expert says oops I was wrong.
TopsailWolf
We're already there. If the shutdown lasts another 2 pay periods thousands of companies won't make payroll and the US won't recover for 10+ years. It's going to get ugly.
GuerrillaPack
cowboypack02 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

This was the stupidity of just the blanket closing of the economy and businesses. It didn't need to happen this way and it is going to cause issues for years to come. We could of been smart with the approach that we took and not had this happen but panic driven by the media and politicians ruled the day.

We could of used common sense and asked people to stay away from the elderly, had local governments close areas where the worse impacts were, and made accommodations to make sure that we kept things running as much as possible. Instead we shut down the entire country when 55% of all cases of the coronavirus are in NYC. Even here in NC the majority of cases are in Raleigh and Charlotte, so maybe we should take care of things there. We didn't do that. The governor just shut down things completely in the state for the most part. The restaurants in downtown Edenton have had to lay people off for something that doesn't even impact them. Its a joke. Those jobs aren't going to be coming back for some and the people who are making these decisions aren't impacted by that loss. Damn shame...

This 1000%. The Establishment media hysteria and ensuing Government response to this is absolute insanity. Words cannot describe how ludicrous and over-the-top it is, and how destructive it is.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
wilmwolf
That's one of the articles I was referencing in my earlier post. In my non-expert opinion, it is highly likely that the number of infected or previously infected people is much higher than previously thought. And while that might sound scary, the fact that way more people could have it, means the death rate could be considerably less. That particular scientist revised his predictions from 500k dead in the UK to 20k. While he credits that to the containment measures they have put into place, the UK was at least a weak or more behind the measures we were doing here.
RunsWithWolves26
I wonder what the dumbasses in DC think $1200 one time is going to do for people. That is the median rent in the USA per month. I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again. When you have absolute morons like Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell and McCarthy running things, I will never have any confidence in what is being or will be done. If I was a very bored person, I would go through the bill and see just how much each dumbass up there is benefiting from this bill. I may not be a trump fan but the fact they left his business's out is stupid. The people employed by his businesses need help as well. Just like with everything else, the DC dumbasses will use this as much as possible to their political advantage and the rest of us be damned.
Everpack
packgrad said:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

Just came to post this article. This is the report that basically forecasted the worst case scenario of 2.2 million Americans dying a couple weeks ago.
packgrad
I wonder if Fauci will change his tune.
Colonel Armstrong
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I wonder what the dumbasses in DC think $1200 one time is going to do for people. That is the median rent in the USA per month. I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again. When you have absolute morons like Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell and McCarthy running things, I will never have any confidence in what is being or will be done. If I was a very bored person, I would go through the bill and see just how much each dumbass up there is benefiting from this bill. I may not be a trump fan but the fact they left his business's out is stupid. The people employed by his businesses need help as well. Just like with everything else, the DC dumbasses will use this as much as possible to their political advantage and the rest of us be damned.
It's also money to businesses so that's going to keep companies from cutting more jobs.
packgrad
Agreed. The "scoreboard" number of people that have tested positive has always been a scare tactic to me.
statefan91
packgrad said:

Another big part of the article is the logical idea of TEST TEST TEST. That is the most criminal part of the response of the US and other countries is not being prepared to test in mass quantities when the threat was identified a few months ago.
statefan91
packgrad said:

Agreed. The "scoreboard" number of people that have tested positive has always been a scare tactic to me.
Yeah...NC is looking at 5% testing positive, with no indication of how serious those cases are. I'm really fed up at this point because the positive rate would be significantly lower if they were testing everyone that had any type of symptoms.
cowboypack02
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Just a cursory review:
1. House of Representative: 25 Million
2. Institute of Museum and Library Services: 50 Million
3. Corporation of Public Broadcasting: 75 Million
4. National Endowment for the Humanities: 75 Million
5. National Endowment for the Arts: 75 Million
6. John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts: 25 Million
7. US Postal Service: 10 Billion
8. Department of Education: 39 Billion
9. Boeing: 17 Billion
10. Migration and Refugee Assistance: 350 Million

• If you are a small business you can take out a loan to stay afloat....
  • If you are a medium size business (between 500 and 10K employees) you can't oppose any union organizing effort
  • Women can be reimbursed for menstrual products
  • Medicaide will cover all Covid vaccinations
  • Sunscreen drugs are now covered

Give me some more time to go through it and i'll keep going on this list here...

statefan91
Not sure why Boeing should get anything. They had already screwed themselves over the past couple years with criminal negligence in putting their airliners out without proper training and testing of the new systems. I know this isn't Coronavirus specifically but it's ridiculous that they will get bailed out.
wilmwolf
Has the Postal Service been impacted by this in some way that I'm not seeing? Mail is running regularly for me.
griff17matt
statefan91 said:

Not sure why Boeing should get anything. They had already screwed themselves over the past couple years with criminal negligence in putting their airliners out without proper training and testing of the new systems. I know this isn't Coronavirus specifically but it's ridiculous that they will get bailed out.

Couldn't agree more. As much as airlines nickel and dime people, they shouldn't get any bailouts either. Fedex, UPS, and the USPS should be propped us as much as possible. They are the lifeblood of the economy, imo. Delta? Boeing's overpriced airplanes? **** outta here.
packgrad
I get the DOE money. Have no idea how to quantity if the amount is appropriate, but the way schools have been turned upside down I imagine significant money is needed to implement the distance learning.
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.