Coronavirus

2,004,988 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Werewolf
Ground_Chuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
498 cases in NC; 55,000k nationwide.

packgrad
It would be nice if they gave more detail on these numbers. How many still have it, Severity, etc?

The numbers, as presented now, provide little value other than inspiring fear.
Ground_Chuck
packgrad said:

It would be nice if they gave more detail on these numbers. How many still have it, Severity, etc?

The numbers, as presented now, provide little value other than inspiring fear.

Your reaction to information is your own. It's just information.

I don't see severity anywhere, but of the 55000 confirmed cases there are 354 listed as recovered.
cowboypack02
TopsailWolf said:

Don't get the one time $1200 check. That's not helpful at all if this shutdown lasts even 4 more weeks. Defer mortgage/rent payments and utility payments for the time being, increase unemployment benefits (which they did), and give out checks once the country opens back up for business to help stimulate economic spending.
The government can't just make a private company defer a payment. That is how they stay in business. I think that is the purpose for the checks instead. Unfortunately alot of people are gonna go out and blow the check instead of spending it on bills
packgrad
Not exactly true when local governments are issuing stay at home orders. Perhaps incomplete information is sufficient for some. I prefer more information when government is instituting lock down orders.
Ground_Chuck
TopsailWolf said:

Don't get the one time $1200 check. That's not helpful at all if this shutdown lasts even 4 more weeks. Defer mortgage/rent payments and utility payments for the time being, increase unemployment benefits (which they did), and give out checks once the country opens back up for business to help stimulate economic spending.

There are small business loans in the bill for that.
barnburner
With the flu, 2% of cases are hospitalizations. With Covid19 it is 20%.. this is the strain on the medical system regardless of deaths.
wilmwolf
There are 500 cases in NC and only 29 of those are in the hospital. Maybe eventually 20 percent will end up there, but it's not the case currently, in NC anyway. It is a higher number than the flu, but how many of those in the hospital currently are just there out of an abundance of caution? I would think right now that the 100,000 tests that have been performed are much more of a strain on the healthcare system than the 500 positives.

(Numbers are from here https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241479931.html)

Edited to add- I have no idea if their numbers are correct, just posting what's in the article.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
What does everyone think has caused the numbers in NYC and Louisiana? Is it population density? People not taking it seriously and it being able to spread so quickly? I know it's growing here in Mecklenburg but i'm glad to see no deaths yet.
packgrad
Holy cow. 100,000 tests? No way we have all the results in and only 500 cases so far, and we are issuing stay at home orders. That's just crazy to me. We probably haven't gotten all the results in yet.
wilmwolf
The article said there were 13,000 tests awaiting results, so I assume the rest have already come back negative.

"More than 100,000 coronavirus tests have been completed in the state, and 13,000 more are waiting to be processed, officials said."
packgrad
That's just mind blowing to me.
BruceDouble
NYC is a melting pot with people from all over the world. Dense population, public transit is primary mode of transportation. Nobody I know in NYC has a car.

I think it's been said in New Orleans it May have had something to do with Mardis gras.
wilmwolf
I wonder if you will see higher numbers at the big spring break destinations as a result of extending spring break, allowing kids from all over the country to spend extra time together being the opposite of socially distant. That move I question. Not letting kids play basketball together in an empty arena, but letting them on the beaches by the tens of thousands. Doesn't make sense to me.
Pacfanweb
burnbarn said:

With the flu, 2% of cases are hospitalizations. With Covid19 it is 20%.. this is the strain on the medical system regardless of deaths.
55k cases, so 11k are in the hospital? I find that difficult to believe
IseWolf22
wilmwolf80 said:

I wonder if you will see higher numbers at the big spring break destinations as a result of extending spring break, allowing kids from all over the country to spend extra time together being the opposite of socially distant. That move I question. Not letting kids play basketball together in an empty arena, but letting them on the beaches by the tens of thousands. Doesn't make sense to me.
They aren't the same decision makers... you can't really draw that line. The same medical people calling for the cancellation of events also wanted to strictly limit mass gatherings. Just because the governor of Florida and other municipalities were slow to act, and people were dumb to show up, doesn't mean anyone is being inconsistent.

That said, I believe at least the conference tournaments could have been finished in empty arenas
Ground_Chuck
statefan91 said:

What does everyone think has caused the numbers in NYC and Louisiana? Is it population density? People not taking it seriously and it being able to spread so quickly? I know it's growing here in Mecklenburg but i'm glad to see no deaths yet.

Mardi Gras for Louisiana. Population density for NYC.
IseWolf22
wilmwolf80 said:

There are 500 cases in NC and only 29 of those are in the hospital. Maybe eventually 20 percent will end up there, but it's not the case currently, in NC anyway. It is a higher number than the flu, but how many of those in the hospital currently are just there out of an abundance of caution? I would think right now that the 100,000 tests that have been performed are much more of a strain on the healthcare system than the 500 positives.

(Numbers are from here https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241479931.html)
I'm wondering if that is a typo. (10k vs 100k)

As of Monday at 7:00 PM, the test count was
"8,348 people have been tested and 10,000 tests are awaiting results"

You're article says
"More than 100,000 coronavirus tests have been completed in the state, and 13,000 more are waiting to be processed, officials said."

18,500 to 113,000 in 1.5 days doesnt make sense to me. 18,500 to 23,000 is more plausible
Colonel Armstrong
wilmwolf80 said:

I assume most beaches are closed at this point
wilmwolf
IseWolf22 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

They aren't the same decision makers... you can't really draw that line. The same medical people calling for the cancellation of events also wanted to strictly limit mass gatherings. Just because the governor of Florida and other municipalities were slow to act, and people were dumb to show up, doesn't mean anyone is being inconsistent.

That said, I believe at least the conference tournaments could have been finished in empty arenas
The decision I'm talking about was made by the same people. The decision to cancel the ACC tournament was was reportedly made by the president of Duke when he directed them to not show up for our game and forced the ACC's hand. It was also the same people that run the universities that decided to extend spring break by a week instead of having the students come back to campus. I'm just wondering aloud what that extra week of partying did for the spread of the virus. Even with the beaches open, if the kids had been made to come back to school on time, that would've been one less week of potential contact. I'm speaking strictly of the decision by most colleges to extend spring break for a week. I understand that many of them did it to try and regroup and come up with a plan, but from the standpoint of the actual health safety of the kids, I think it was the wrong call.
RunsWithWolves26
It's still crazy that over half the cases in the country come from 1 state. De Blasio and Coumo make it sound like what they are dealing with will be every single state in 2 weeks but I just don't see it. It's gonna be really hard to duplicate what is happening in NY to every other state. Regardless, I believe this entire event should be taken seriously. At the same time, at what point do things turn really bad with no economy anymore? Something needs to change and I believe the extreme I crease in testing is that something. We have tested in 8 days what SK did in 8 weeks, if I heard Dr. Berx right yesterday. That is moving in the right direction.
IseWolf22
wilmwolf80 said:

IseWolf22 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The decision I'm talking about was made by the same people. The decision to cancel the ACC tournament was was reportedly made by the president of Duke when he directed them to not show up for our game and forced the ACC's hand. It was also the same people that run the universities that decided to extend spring break by a week instead of having the students come back to campus. I'm just wondering aloud what that extra week of partying did for the spread of the virus. Even with the beaches open, if the kids had been made to come back to school on time, that would've been one less week of potential contact. I'm speaking strictly of the decision by most colleges to extend spring break for a week. I understand that many of them did it to try and regroup and come up with a plan, but from the standpoint of the actual health safety of the kids, I think it was the wrong call.
You are assuming that extending spring break is equivalent to "Go party in mass groups ignoring all expert medical advice" and that it was worse then bringing them all back into dorms living together.
They extended spring break a week to get their crap figured out for a move to online. All of my co-workers with college aged children had them come back home in the middle of their original spring break, they did not stay our partying (to be fair, my sample group is probably on the more responsible side vs. general population)
D33z
Totally agree , Not showing all the recovered is slight of hand , we know several of the folks that went to Boston and they've BEEN recovered
packgrad said:

Not exactly true when local governments are issuing stay at home orders. Perhaps incomplete information is sufficient for some. I prefer more information when government is instituting lock down orders.
"PACK POWER"
wilmwolf
I don't know. Just posting what was reported in the article. I would expect the number of tests and number of people being tested should be increasing exponentially based on the number of tests that are becoming available after the initial shortage. Anecdotally, on Monday I didn't know anyone that had been tested, but yesterday four different friends reported on social media that they had been tested and were awaiting results. Ultimately the point of what I posted wasn't the total number of tests, it was the low number of hospitalizations.
wilmwolf
No, I don't think all of them did, but a number of them did. I live at the beach, and they were all packed until they were forced to leave. Not everyone at the beaches was on spring break, but many of them were. I just questioned if there will be an increased number of cases in those areas and among that demographic when all is said in done.
Pacfanweb
So, my link to the COVID Tracking Project above (in the article) that has all the raw data says this:
https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/

As of yesterday, 3/24:

56 States and territories

Total tests: 359,161

Positives: 51,970

Negatives: 292,758

Pending: 14,433

Hospitalized: 4,468

Deaths: 675

So, nowhere NEAR any 20% are being hospitalized. 8.59%. And about 1.2% death rate of the positive cases, and we know that's lower because of all the likely positive cases that aren't tested yet, or at all.

A concern, absolutely. Panic? No. Don't want the strain on the hospital system, but as far as there being a million or more deaths from this...I'm not seeing it.
Colonel Armstrong
For how much y'all about how unhealthy Americans are, so far our infected have been doing pretty well in recovering. I hope that continues
statefan91
NC Cases*
NC Deaths
NC Completed Tests**

https://www.ncdhhs.gov/covid-19-case-count-nc

So far no deaths, and a 4.9% infected rate vs. tests? Am I reading that right?
Ground_Chuck
Pacfanweb said:

So, my link to the COVID Tracking Project above (in the article) that has all the raw data says this:

As of yesterday, 3/24:

So, nowhere NEAR any 20% are being hospitalized. 8.59%. And about 1.2% death rate of the positive cases, and we know that's lower because of all the likely positive cases that aren't tested yet, or at all.

A concern, absolutely. Panic? No. Don't want the strain on the hospital system, but as far as there being a million or more deaths from this...I'm not seeing it.

If all the social distancing stuff works, it will seem completely unnecessary.
Pacfanweb
Ground_Chuck said:

Pacfanweb said:

As of yesterday, 3/24:

If all the social distancing stuff works, it will seem completely unnecessary.
Yep, I don't think the upward trend will continue since the country mostly has gotten on top of this before it really infested us.

Other than port cities like NY, I don't see it devastating the rest of the country like Italy.
statefan91
Quote:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241241216.html?
Quote:

Gov. Roy Cooper said in a news release that a person from Cabarrus County died on March 24 from complications associated with the virus. The person was in their late 70s and had several medical conditions, Cooper said.
A second person in their 60s from Virginia who was traveling through North Carolina also died.

"We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones. This is a stark warning that for some people COVID-19 is a serious illness. All of us must do our part to stop the spread by staying at home as much as possible and practicing social distancing," Cooper said.
Is a person in their late 70s with several medical conditions something you can blame on COVID? I understand as a contributing factor standpoint but I'm having trouble with that.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Quote:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241241216.html?
Quote:

Gov. Roy Cooper said in a news release that a person from Cabarrus County died on March 24 from complications associated with the virus. The person was in their late 70s and had several medical conditions, Cooper said.
A second person in their 60s from Virginia who was traveling through North Carolina also died.

"We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones. This is a stark warning that for some people COVID-19 is a serious illness. All of us must do our part to stop the spread by staying at home as much as possible and practicing social distancing," Cooper said.
Is a person in their late 70s with several medical conditions something you can blame on COVID? I understand as a contributing factor standpoint but I'm having trouble with that.

I think it all depends on what fits a person's narrative. Obviously, making it known how many negative test there were isn't fitting the media's narrative. Average age doesn't fit the media narrative either. It's gotten a little crazy lately and as you and I have talked about previously, it has to stop at some point.
TopsailWolf
That's maybe one month of bills. What about May, June, or July?
Colonel Armstrong
Media execs have to be loving this. The ratings for news stations must be up big.

Speaking anecdotally, this is by far the most news I've watched in years.
griff17matt
Can someone explain to me how a mayor has the authority to shut down businesses anywhere for any reason? Seems like a real reach on their official power.
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.