Coronavirus

1,981,024 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Werewolf
Bas2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RunsWithWolves26 said:

So far today, the total number of cases and total number of deaths is down from yesterday. Still more time to go today so we shall see what happens

In a true pandemic the cases would almost double every 3 - days . Ie if there are 10,000 cases today & 500 deaths there would be 20,000 cases and 1,000 deaths in 3 days .

I think seeing numbers going from 45 cases to 52 cases to 67 cases to 74 cases is actually a good sign . The numbers will creep up ... and eventually come back down . If the numbers quickly surge or double in under a week then we have issues .

I already think 75% of us are still working . Continue to social distance through July but go back to work . Encourage people to wear masks and work & limit work space to under 10 people in rooms . Continue with lessons we've learned about hygiene . But go back to work .

If the economy crashes we won't have money to help combat the next pandemic ... not to mention you'll see hundreds of thousands become desperate which leads to suicide and drug use then all sorts of systems are over run including health care . That would be 100 times worse .

Right now we are suggesting a 2 trillion dollar bail out to save 5,000 people .

That's like $300 million per person . At some point some common sense has to kick in .
Glasswolf
Bas2020 said:

Certain sectors have not stopped in all this . Just drive through a new construction development in Wendell and there are contractors all over the place . All working as usual .
I'm a project manager in commercial flooring. I'm working on two 12 story buildings on Water St in Wilmington. The GC stated they will remain open for construction using the CDC guidelines but they will shut down in the State Gov does order it.

Just saw where Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) will begin to shelter in place as of 8 AM Thursday

[url=https://twitter.com/JeffJacksonNC][/url]Sen. Jeff Jackson

BREAKING:

Mecklenburg orders shelter in place effective Thursday at 8:00 a.m. and going until April 16.

Says everyone can still get groceries, medicine, exercise outdoors, get take-out, care for friend or family member if urgent.

Can't go to work unless deemed essential.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

RunsWithWolves26
Trump said today he wasn't the economy opened back up by Easter. That's still 3 weeks away. How that affects the economy is going to be interesting to say the least.
packgrad
I've been in Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, and N Raleigh today. Traffic has been wonderful.
Glasswolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Trump said today he wasn't the economy opened back up by Easter. That's still 3 weeks away. How that affects the economy is going to be interesting to say the least.
Everyone does, but Trump isn't the one that has shut the majority of things down. It's been the individual States. Other than holding federal funding from States I'm not sure Trump has a say so.

Also heard where India has shut down the entire country. 1.3 billion people

Glasswolf
packgrad said:

I've been in Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, and N Raleigh today. Traffic has been wonderful.
It has been nice. I'm going to start working from home tomorrow. I started to get a headache today and a mild sore throat

dwanna
I'm in sales in the event industry. We had to lay off majority of our warehouse staff at end of last week. The ban on events/gatherings is just devastating to jobs/business. As everything has snowballed, pending how long the restrictions are in place, I'm not confident I will keep my job through this crisis. But I consider myself lucky to still have it at this time.

Weighing economic concerns vs. health concerns of public in a time like this is unprecedented. Hopefully as we get more information, we can make better and better decisions with both concerns in mind. I don't know the right answer...

I've been working remotely so can't comment as much on traffic, but when I have been out for food/grocery, it has seemed like much less cars on the road. Plenty of people playing disc golf at the park this past Sunday...
packgrad
Yikes. No fun. Don't know how the pollen is down there, but it's bad up here. I keep saying I'm going to do office work from home, but get hung up all day checking jobs or bidding jobs.
Glasswolf
packgrad said:

Yikes. No fun. Don't know how the pollen is down there, but it's bad up here. I keep saying I'm going to do office work from home, but get hung up all day checking jobs or bidding jobs.
We've had enough rain in Raleigh to keep the pollen down but we've had a few bad days.

packgrad
Ha. We're both in the triangle. Thought you were in Wilmington. Punch Walked a few buildings this morning and had to throw out my gum because it was gritty from pollen.
Wayland
Wake County gets an A for distancing!

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard
dwanna
Wayland said:

Wake County gets an A for distancing!

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard
I feel like our per capita should make that for an A+
Glasswolf
packgrad said:

Ha. We're both in the triangle. Thought you were in Wilmington. Punch Walked a few buildings this morning and had to throw out my gum because it was gritty from pollen.

Just managing these 2 buildings in Wilmington lol

lumberpack5
Glasswolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Everyone does, but Trump isn't the one that has shut the majority of things down. It's been the individual States. Other than holding federal funding from States I'm not sure Trump has a say so.

Also heard where India has shut down the entire country. 1.3 billion people
He doesn't. The real power rest with the State Health Director and with the Local Health Directors - should they use their powers. Trump doesn't know how to use his powers. There aren't enough Federal people to do much about a "National" emergency. The only question is if the National Guard gets conflicting orders do they follow the Feds or their State. That's a bridge to be avoided.
I like the athletic type
RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

https://www.wral.com/arizona-man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-to-treat-coronavirus/19026003/

He actually took chloroquine phosphate which is totally different then the approved drug but who needs the media to have a headline that isn't false.
Glasswolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

https://www.wral.com/arizona-man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-to-treat-coronavirus/19026003/

He actually took chloroquine phosphate which is totally different then the approved drug but who needs the media to have a headline that isn't false.
When I heard it this morning they plainly stated that they took chloriquine phosphate which was used in fish tanks. When they played the interview with the surviving wife she said she saw it in the cabinet and read it had chloroquine and they remembered Trump saying it may or might be a game changer. That's why they took it

From the article:

A Phoenix-area man is dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.

It does not appear they took the pharmaceutical version of the drug, but rather "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks," Banner Health said in a statement.

NBC News spoke to the wife, who said they learned of chloroquine's connection to coronavirus during a President Donald Trump news conference, which "was on a lot actually." They took it because they "were afraid of getting sick," she said.

RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

When I heard it this morning they plainly stated that they took chloriquine phosphate which was used in fish tanks. When they played the interview with the surviving wife she said she saw it in the cabinet and read it had chloroquine and they remembered Trump saying it may or might be a game changer. That's why they took it..

It's the headline that the media ran with that is the issue. How many people get to sit down and watch things? Most scroll through social media and see the headlines. Fact remains, the media makes it a point to have misleading headlines. CNN, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, etc do it constantly against trump. On the other hand, FOX has been known to do it against Dems in the past as well. Doesn't matter who it is, media shouldn't have headlines that are misleading to make another political party look bad. People wonder why trump won in 2016. Mostly because Clinton was a horrible choice but partly because people saw just how biased the media actually is. In a time of crisis such as this, it would be nice if the media actually stopped with the bull**** and just reported facts I stead of posting and reporting misleading headlines. It goes both ways.

Edit to add if you notice in my response to your post, I responded to the false headline
packgrad
UK epidemiologist believes half of UK population already has virus and has begun developing herd immunity.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b
packgrad
Glasswolf
Again, I saw the headline and took time to read the article. I don't trust the media either. But I do read and do pay attention to what POTUS says so when the media brings it up I can determine if they are telling the truth or not.

The point of me even posting the article was simple. POTUS doesn't need to be talking. He needs to let his task force talk.

I got more out of listening to Gov. Cuomo's news conference this morning

RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

Again, I saw the headline and took time to read the article. I don't trust the media either. But I do read and do pay attention to what POTUS says so when the media brings it up I can determine if they are telling the truth or not.

The point of me even posting the article was simple. POTUS doesn't need to be talking. He needs to let his task force talk.

I got more out of listening to Gov. Cuomo's news conference this morning

Ok. And if trump didn't talk, you and others would say he isn't doing his job. It's a lose, lose situation regardless. Not a fan of him myself and have said as much on here but the fact remains. The headline was false and the majority of people scroll through for headlines. They don't take the time like yourself or I to actually look into it.
statefan91
Man I just have to say **** all this.

State shut down. Daycares, schools, everything. My wife and I both work for companies we can work from home with but it is going to be impossible to maintain this for months.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Man I just have to say **** all this.

State shut down. Daycares, schools, everything. My wife and I both work for companies we can work from home with but it is going to be impossible to maintain this for months.

PREACH!!
Andrew4343
What I can't understand is why there has to be such a hard and far out deadline for the schools to be closed until. Seems to me that should keep postponing schools by 2 weeks at a time until they get a better idea of what going on.
packgrad
Durham mayor supposedly issuing a stay at home order tomorrow.

Update. NC still has zero deaths.
Colonel Armstrong
NC will probably see a net positive amount of deaths when we consider that automobile deaths have almost certainly declined.
statefan91
packgrad said:

That is what's blowing my mind. I don't want people to die from this, but we cannot shackle the state and the country. implement Defense Production Act if you have to, get a **** load of medical supplies and testing kits out and let people get tested quickly, treated quickly, and not ruin the lives of millions of people.
BruceDouble
I'm in landscaping in Charlotte, been following other states regulations very closely and have seen it's pretty much being deemed essential everywhere. Still though, a HUGE relief when I got confirmation we're good to work here. Obviously, I have spent the last two weeks implementing all sorts of policies for employee/client safety, but RELIEVED to know myself and my employees have some long term stability now. Stay strong
packgrad
Agreed 100%. I live in Durham, but have jobs and bids all throughout the triangle and surrounding areas. The mayor can kiss my ass.
packgrad
BruceDouble said:

I'm in landscaping in Charlotte, been following other states regulations very closely and have seen it's pretty much being deemed essential everywhere. Still though, a HUGE relief when I got confirmation we're good to work here. Obviously, I have spent the last two weeks implementing all sorts of policies for employee/client safety, but RELIEVED to know myself and my employees have some long term stability now. Stay strong

That's very good news. Imagine it would apply to my industry as well.
Steve Williams
Staff
packgrad said:

Coronavirus has been in the states for about two months. In that period, I wonder how many in NC have died from the regular flu?

One thing that drives me nuts...there are about 54,000 cases of corona being reported in the US right now and that number is going to grow exponentially in the coming weeks. However, the media makes absolutely no mention of the vast, vast majority that get the disease, recover and are now most likely immune to it. If you subtract those people, the number is much, much smaller. Of course, I guess bigger numbers fit the narrative and talking about people recovering maybe doesn't help as much with sensationalizing the story.
Daviewolf83
Steve Williams said:

packgrad said:

Coronavirus has been in the states for about two months. In that period, I wonder how many in NC have died from the regular flu?

One thing that drives me nuts...there are about 54,000 cases of corona being reported in the US right now and that number is going to grow exponentially in the coming weeks. However, the media makes absolutely no mention of the vast, vast majority that get the disease, recover and are now most likely immune to it. If you subtract those people, the number is much, much smaller. Of course, I guess bigger numbers fit the narrative and talking about people recovering maybe doesn't help as much with sensationalizing the story.
Mortality rate is likely lower than 1%, so more than 99% should make a full recovery. My parents are in the high risk group and they are not going out of the house. Doctors appointments cancelled. My daughter has a health condition that also puts her in a high risk group, but she has a job that is 100% remote (full time entertainment writer). She has a friend doing her grocery shopping and leaving the groceries at her door. We got her some food and food for her dog tonight and did the same thing. Left the food at the door and said hello from 15 feet away when she opened the door to get the food.

For most people, they will survive if they get the virus and I am not worried for myself or the rest of my family. I am fortunate that I can work from home for weeks with no impact to my productivity. My company closed our offices down over a week ago, so I have been working from home for a while. I am saving a lot on gas and not having to deal with the commute to the Research Triangle Park every day.

The best way for NC to get back to work is to implement Test and Trace, but I have very little confidence they will do so. NC can not stay shutdown for more than two months, so they better come up with something. I am encouraged by the low number of reported active cases in Raleigh (and even Durham) and definitely the low number of deaths. Like the President, I am very optimistic that the new drug treatments will work. I actually read about the drugs and some of the testing results a couple of weeks ago and wondered why it was taking so long for the news of the drug's success to reach the health professionals. They will really need to put an emphasis on producing the drug in much larger quantities, since I do expect it to be successful. Even though it is entering clinical trials in NY starting today, doctors are allowed to use it for off-label purposes.
Pacfanweb
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned along with the rise in positive Covid tests, is the HUGE rise in number of tests, period.

The number of new tests is WAY out of proportion to the number of positives.

https://www.dailylobo.com/article/2020/03/opinion-bad-graphs-suck-a-primer-on-covid-19-data-coverage

https://imgur.com/a/1er9OCq

RunsWithWolves26
Pacfanweb said:

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned along with the rise in positive Covid tests, is the HUGE rise in number of tests, period.

The number of new tests is WAY out of proportion to the number of positives.

https://www.dailylobo.com/article/2020/03/opinion-bad-graphs-suck-a-primer-on-covid-19-data-coverage

https://imgur.com/a/1er9OCq

Very interesting
TopsailWolf
Don't get the one time $1200 check. That's not helpful at all if this shutdown lasts even 4 more weeks. Defer mortgage/rent payments and utility payments for the time being, increase unemployment benefits (which they did), and give out checks once the country opens back up for business to help stimulate economic spending.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.