Coronavirus

1,980,703 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Werewolf
jkpackfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-touted-by-trump-saved-his-life/

Another good outcome. Hopefully this stuff works
RunsWithWolves26
jkpackfan said:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-touted-by-trump-saved-his-life/

Hard reading the part about him saying goodbye to his wife and kids and dang in glad it worked.
jkpackfan
No kidding I can't imagine being faced with that.
statefan91
Thank you to everyone for your responses, means a lot in these crazy times.

On that note, I'm pointing all good karma to WolfQuacker in hopes that his results are negative and he gets past whatever he has quickly.
Packchem91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I may be alone in this, but I am a big fan of Dr. Berx. She knows her stuff, she explains it well and doesn't speak in what ifs and assumptions. Always good when she gets extended time answering questions.
First time I"ve really seen her, but thought she was outstanding at answering, while being deferential. Trump should have just stayed out of her way. She could even avoid answering the actual questions w/o making the media member feel like a fool. So much more pleasant (and informative) than to have to listen to Trump
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Thank you to everyone for your responses, means a lot in these crazy times.

On that note, I'm pointing all good karma to WolfQuacker in hopes that his results are negative and he gets past whatever he has quickly.
I'd have to guess that news was like a collective ability to finally breathe out after holding our breath for a number of days. That's great to hear.
RunsWithWolves26
Packchem91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I may be alone in this, but I am a big fan of Dr. Berx. She knows her stuff, she explains it well and doesn't speak in what ifs and assumptions. Always good when she gets extended time answering questions.
First time I"ve really seen her, but thought she was outstanding at answering, while being deferential. Trump should have just stayed out of her way. She could even avoid answering the actual questions w/o making the media member feel like a fool. So much more pleasant (and informative) than to have to listen to Trump

I've been saying for a while. Let Dr. Berx, Dr. Fauci, VP Pence talk. Trump needs to say as little as possible. He wasn't terrible today but he usually isn't good either.
Daviewolf83
jkpackfan said:

It is anecdotal at this point, but some of the early results are promising. With clinical trials starting tomorrow, hopefully we will get some sound scientific results in a few weeks. I am hopeful it works and can help save people.

More importantly, they need to keep working on expanding testing capacity. I am encouraged by some information today that they are close to having a test people can do themselves.If they can provide those quickly it would go a long way to getting the economy back to normal.

South Korea and Israel are two countries using Test-and-Trace to combat the virus and will be restarting their economies in a couple of weeks at the most. This is what the US has to do when they lift the lock-downs. The way it works is you test anyone who says they have symptoms, test anyone who interfaces with people (drug store, grocery store, healthcare workers). If any test positive, you test anyone who they came in contact with (this is the Trace part). If they are found positive for virus, they go into 12 day quarantine. If found to be negative, they can resume normal activities. Currently South Korea and Israel are seeing fewer new cases every day.

The US will not be able to sustain the lock-down for more than two months without completely destroying the economy. They have to get to Test-and-Trace as soon as possible. To do so, they need testing capacity of 120,000 tests/day.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Dr berx just said the average age of a person who dies from this in Italy is around 80. I knew the population was older and that would contribute to the higher numbers but that was astounding to me to hear. That really says a lot about their numbers in Italy.
This was the same as China. The average age of deaths there was 80. I read an interesting article in The Atlantic this weekend that talks about how the virus is thought to work and why some segments of the population are more susceptible to getting seriously ill. You can read it here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/03/biography-new-coronavirus/608338/
packgrad
I just don't see test and trace working here. Personally, I would be fine with it if it meant we could get people back to work. Libertarians (especially), Republicans, and Democrats (especially as it could be used on illegal aliens) are not going to agree with relaxing civil liberties that allow the government to track all of your movements. I know the argument will be that they can anyway. But nobody will want to give them that authority as it is a slippery slope. We can't even get a stimulus through, that was agreed to in principal, before the Speaker returned to town. Additionally, the problem isn't the same throughout the country. I don't think our problem, and handling of the problem, should be the same as NYC. Obviously our governor disagrees with me, but I think he's a feckless fool.

Our economy is wrecked now. We seem to be doing all we can do to continue to destroy it.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Dr berx just said the average age of a person who dies from this in Italy is around 80. I knew the population was older and that would contribute to the higher numbers but that was astounding to me to hear. That really says a lot about their numbers in Italy.
This was the same as China. The average age of deaths there was 80. I read an interesting article in The Atlantic this weekend that talks about how the virus is thought to work and why some segments of the population are more susceptible to getting seriously ill. You can read it here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/03/biography-new-coronavirus/608338/

Didn't know that about China. Thanks for sharing that link buddy!
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

I just don't see test and trace working here. Personally, I would be fine with it if it meant we could get people back to work. Libertarians (especially), Republicans, and Democrats (especially as it could be used on illegal aliens) are not going to agree with relaxing civil liberties that allow the government to track all of your movements. I know the argument will be that they can anyway. But nobody will want to give them that authority as it is a slippery slope. We can't even get a stimulus through, that was agreed to in principal, before the Speaker returned to town. Additionally, the problem isn't the same throughout the country. I don't think our problem, and handling of the problem, should be the same as NYC. Obviously our governor disagrees with me, but I think he's a feckless fool.

Our economy is wrecked now. We seem to be doing all we can do to continue to destroy it.

I don't believe the economy is wreaked. Is it hurt? Absolutely! But personally, I believe as things return back to normal, it will go right back up. It won't be a fast, within a month jump, but the small business sector will rebound, the government will finally pass a decent stimulas and jobs will be going again. Hell, I've seen multiple companies just in the past week having hiring interviews looking to hire people right now. Amazon just announced over the weekend they are looking to hire 100,000 people ASAP. It won't be lightning fast but imo, the economy is far from wreaked. It was strong before this and it will be after. Just asking 2009/2010, the stock market will rebound, low interest rates will dominate and the jobs will be there.
Glasswolf
https://www.wral.com/arizona-man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-to-treat-coronavirus/19026003/
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Daviewolf83
Glasswolf said:

https://www.wral.com/arizona-man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-to-treat-coronavirus/19026003/
He drank fish tank cleaner that was not meant for human consumption.
Glasswolf
Daviewolf83 said:

Glasswolf said:

I know, but people listen to what our leaders say. No way most would have done it...They just saw Chloroquine

Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

I actually lean libertarian, but am willing to be pragmatic when faced with unusual situations. In this case, if it is a choice between getting life back to normal in a month versus staying in lock-down for several months, I would support Test and Trace. Until a vaccine is developed or a more effective treatment is found, it seems to be our best hope. Otherwise, coming out of the lock-down with no treatment measures or further, enhanced testing is likely to just see the virus flair back up.
packgrad
I'm on board with whatever gets us back to work soon.
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

Glasswolf said:

This is one of the many daily articles that give Trump ammo when he cries "Fake News". Everything is Trump to blame.
cowboypack02
packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Glasswolf said:

This is one of the many daily articles that give Trump ammo when he cries "Fake News". Everything is Trump to blame.
I think if the honest media was actually the rule instead of the exception this would solve alot of our problems politically in the country.
Ground_Chuck
410 cases in NC, 46,000 cases nationwide.

We will probably 80k cases by end of week.
packgrad
cowboypack02 said:

packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Glasswolf said:

I think if the honest media was actually the rule instead of the exception this would solve alot of our problems politically in the country.

100% agree.
packgrad
Anecdotal positive results from a NY doctor.

Glasswolf
packgrad said:

Anecdotal positive results from a NY doctor.

Just read that. Fingers crossed. We still need more testing

RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

Right on track then. Dr. Berx said last week they expected cases to be between 50,000-150,000
Ground_Chuck
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

Right on track then. Dr. Berx said last week they expected cases to be between 50,000-150,000

By the end of the month or total?
PossumJenkins
With increased testing, confirmed cases are going to sky rocket. It doesn't prove anything than that we have more tests.

There's positives and negatives out of that. Positive, we'll realize that thousands of people have been walking around with this and the majority of them it has not affected severely. Negative, thousands of people have been walking around with this spreading it.
RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

By the end of the month or total?

I believe she was speaking of total but not 100% on that. She talked about it in terms of taking steps now to prevent what has happened in China and Italy. She may have been using it as a reference and not a definate. That I do not know.
Bas2020
Certain sectors have not stopped in all this . Just drive through a new construction development in Wendell and there are contractors all over the place . All working as usual .
statefan91
Bas2020 said:

Certain sectors have not stopped in all this . Just drive through a new construction development in Wendell and there are contractors all over the place . All working as usual .
Yep - I've been taking long walks to get some peace away from the kids and everything while they're napping and I've seen crews doing drain work in people's yard and painting and all sorts.
packgrad
Bas2020 said:

Two segments of our business have been affected. The segments that do work in retail upfits and apartment capital improvement projects. Both have had customers shut down work for as little as 60 days up to indefinitely. Other segments are business as usual.
Bas2020
packgrad said:

Bas2020 said:

Two segments of our business have been affected. The segments that do work in retail upfits and apartment capital improvement projects. Both have had customers shut down work for as little as 60 days up to indefinitely. Other segments are business as usual.

FWIW traffic all over the triangle is as bad as it usually is . In my just 2 eyed opinion 80% of us are still working . Mom & the kids home .
IseWolf22
Bas2020 said:

packgrad said:

Bas2020 said:

FWIW traffic all over the triangle is as bad as it usually is . In my just 2 eyed opinion 80% of us are still working . Mom & the kids home .
We must be in very different parts of the triangle because that is not true at all. My wife drives from Cary to Durham each day and estimates that cars on the road are down 60%.
I have been working from home, but I've run errands around 5 PM several times recently and there was no traffic at all. Usually in my area it would be packed at that time
RunsWithWolves26
So far today, the total number of cases and total number of deaths is down from yesterday. Still more time to go today so we shall see what happens
IseWolf22
RunsWithWolves26 said:

So far today, the total number of cases and total number of deaths is down from yesterday. Still more time to go today so we shall see what happens

I've been monitoring the past week or so and it seems like most numbers are added in the afternoon and evening. I'll see small increases until 2-5 PM then next morning the increase looking back the day before will be large.
RunsWithWolves26
IseWolf22 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I've been monitoring the past week or so and it seems like most numbers are added in the afternoon and evening. I'll see small increases until 2-5 PM then next morning the increase looking back the day before will be large.

Was watching that myself. It made a decent jump from this morning until right now. So far 27 new deaths the past 24 hours.
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.