Coronavirus

2,004,789 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Werewolf
PossumJenkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SK did not lock down. As mentioned..they tested extensively. Also used a mass of technology that provided disease location in real time, tracking quarantined patients to make sure they stayed quarantined. Did a LOT with cell phone and geo technology that would maybe be considered over the line on civil liberties with all the privacy folks...but it obviously worked. That said testing is the key. Gotta know the problem to deal with it.
IseWolf22
PossumJenkins said:

SK did not lock down. As mentioned..they tested extensively. Also used a mass of technology that provided disease location in real time, tracking quarantined patients to make sure they stayed quarantined. Did a LOT with cell phone and geo technology that would maybe be considered over the line on civil liberties with all the privacy folks...but it obviously worked. That said testing is the key. Gotta know the problem to deal with it.
SK's ability to roll out testing in huge numbers, very quickly should be studied by every nation after this crisis
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

Goodbye small businesses in NC.

You honestly provide nothing of substance to this thread. Do you mind starring your own thread so you can post constant nothing's for yourself to read? Literally, you come here to talk down to people who don't believe exactly like you, make a comment like this one that provides nothing constructive or productive to the thread whatsoever and have constantly belittled others opinions, thoughts, fears, ect.

I am strongly against the governor's prescribed response to this. I think it will continue to destroy small businesses as it has already started to do. There is not a statistical reason for this decision now. As was already mentioned by another poster, thousands of tests were done this weekend. Evaluate those tests and go from there.

Decisions based on what might happen instead of what is happening are going to put a lot of people out of business.

Noone attacked you or went the route you enjoy of name calling. Tour last post was deleted for personal attacks, ie, name calling. This one was edited for the same reason. You can make a point without calling someone dumb, stupid, over the top, etc etc.
Mormad
No worries bud. I directed nothing at you purposefully. I think based on your posts you're appropriately concerned. We all know we don't know the true incidence or death rate. Some take solace in the low numbers, and I hope they stay low as we learn more.
RunsWithWolves26
PossumJenkins said:

Thanks for the info! Was just going to look it up because I wasn't sure.
RunsWithWolves26
Mormad said:

No worries bud. I directed nothing at you purposefully. I think based on your posts you're appropriately concerned. We all know we don't know the true incidence or death rate. Some take solace in the low numbers, and I hope they stay low as we learn more.

All good buddy. My wife is a two time cancer survivor who works in the medical field. To say we are taking this seriously is probably an understatement. With her already weakened immune system, I am cautious about everything we do. I go get what we need and she stays home. Leave the shoes at the door, wipe down everything, etc. It would break me if somehow I got this because I wasn't being careful and gave it to her. I'm a healthy guy but her past medical history makes her higher risk.
Mormad
So sorry to hear how you're being affected, and good luck to you and your bride, my friend. Stay healthy and stay happy. She's so blessed to be a survivor!! That's so cool.
statefan91
RunsWithWolves26
Mormad said:

So sorry to hear how you're being affected, and good luck to you and your bride, my friend. Stay healthy and stay happy. She's so blessed to be a survivor!! That's so cool.

Thyroid cancer tried to beat her twice and she laughed. Never even brings it up. Doesn't believe she is any tougher then the next person. Tough as nails for sure and lord knows I ain't trying to cross her! I will ask a favor seeing as you are in the field. KEEP POSTING and updating us on what you're seeing. It is much, much appreciated here!
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Thanks for sharing this. I had mentioned a few pages back about how the USA and Italy had their first cases right about the same time and how much better the USA was doing as compared to Italy. Didn't know this info about Italy and SK. Great, great post!
RunsWithWolves26
For someone smarter then me I ask this. 8 days ago, the administration put out the 15 days to slow the virus protocol. In 7 days that will be the end of the 15 days. What should we be looking for at that point as a sign of progress, flattening the curve, etc? Basically, how will we know it is working. I've heard the trump administration and the NY Governor say in the past 24 hours, we have to open things back up soon. Does that mean at the end of the 15 days, the government begins to slowly open back up things and industries that have been shutdown for a week now? I know it won't all happen at once.
statefan91
This is a better cliff notes version of the SK approach, if you click on the thread he walks through the major points in each tweet.

barnburner
statefan91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I see people constantly comparing Italy and the USA. Italy's death rate is 9.3% while the USA is at 1.3%. south Korea is at 1.2%. With hundreds or thousands more being tested over the next 7-10 days, we could see the USA and their numbers saying similar to South Korea. I've been watching South Korea all along. They are the closest example we have to what the USA is and will do.
Do you mind talking about what SK is doing now? I haven't been following them but did they do total lockdown and open things back up? Are things improving there and getting back to somewhat normal lives?
I understand SK not only did tons of testing but posted on the internet everywhere people who tested positive had gone (anonymously) ., People could go on the internet and see if they had been in these areas at the same time. They mapped it out to predict progress of the disease and were able to get n front of it. I suspect this will be the model for the next time.
packgrad
packgrad said:

By 5 p.m. March 25, the following must close:

Bingo Parlors
Bowling Alleys
Ice Skating Rinks
Indoor Exercise Facilities (e.g. gyms, yoga studios, and martial arts facilities)
Health Clubs
Indoor Pools
Live Performance Venues
Movie Theaters
Roller skating Rinks
Spas
Sweepstakes Lounges
Video game arcades
Personal care and grooming businesses, including:
Barber Shops
Beauty Salons
Hair Salons
Manicure/Pedicure Providers
Massage Therapy
Nail Salons
Tattoo Parlors

Going to be hard to support these like you do your favorite restaurants (ordering takeout).
IseWolf22
Bingo Parlors are a thing??
RunsWithWolves26
IseWolf22 said:

Bingo Parlors are a thing??

Friend of mines wife plays bingo every weekend. She wins $5,000 at least twice a year with that stuff. Mindboggling to me!
ncsupack1
packgrad said:

packgrad said:

By 5 p.m. March 25, the following must close:

Bingo Parlors
Bowling Alleys
Ice Skating Rinks
Indoor Exercise Facilities (e.g. gyms, yoga studios, and martial arts facilities)
Health Clubs
Indoor Pools
Live Performance Venues
Movie Theaters
Roller skating Rinks
Spas
Sweepstakes Lounges
Video game arcades
Personal care and grooming businesses, including:
Barber Shops
Beauty Salons
Hair Salons
Manicure/Pedicure Providers
Massage Therapy
Nail Salons
Tattoo Parlors

Going to be hard to support these like you do your favorite restaurants (ordering takeout).

Crazy
statefan91
Wife's test results came back all clear - excited I'll be able to go to grocery store and pick up supplies and get out a little more, past five days have been a challenge for sure.
packgrad
Great news. Congratulations.
GuerrillaPack
In New Jersey, people are now in a near total lockdown. That means no travel on the roads - with some exceptions, such as going to the grocery store and to visit family. Only those who work "essential" jobs are allowed to travel the roads to go to work.

As I mentioned on an earlier post a few pages back, there is "chatter" all over the internet about people who work at "essential" jobs being given these letters to show to law enforcement, allowing them to travel the roads.

And the Governor of NJ is warning that he is serious about prosecuting violators, scolding them for not following the orders and threatening them with criminal charges. Here is the article:

Link

Quote:

On Saturday, Murphy announced he's putting New Jersey into near-lockdown mode to combat the spread of the coronavirus, ordering nearly all of the state's 9 million residents to stay at home and mandating that non-essential retail businesses be closed until further notice.

Last week, Murphy "strongly" suggested that people refrain from non-essential travel between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Now, he said, that's a 24-hour order to keep off the roads.

Scary.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Wife's test results came back all clear - excited I'll be able to go to grocery store and pick up supplies and get out a little more, past five days have been a challenge for sure.

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!! Best news I've heard all day!!!
cowboypack02
statefan91 said:

So happy to hear this!
Colonel Armstrong
statefan91 said:

Awesome news!
Glasswolf
statefan91 said:

Fantastic news
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

BP Cox
Staff
statefan91 said:

Great news...digital high 5 to y'all!
vanuel
statefan91 said:

Thank God. Good for you man!
packgrad
It's unfortunate that irrelevant pork is halting the stimulus bill. Small business be damned.
RunsWithWolves26
According to the president, the malaria drug along with a zpack will start being distributed tomorrow morning in NY. He says that countries who have struggled with malaria and take this medicine for that, have shown very small numbers of the COVID19 in their countries. Fingers crossed this actually works. Has been used a few times already to great success in people with COVID19 in the USA already.
RunsWithWolves26
Dr. Berx just announced self swabbing to start this week. She also said the rate of spread for NY is 28% as compared to 8% across the rest of the country. Ay be why Cuomo has been a little more animated the past couple of days then he was before.
RunsWithWolves26
313,000 test have been administered and completed. Just over 41,000 positive test so far for this completed test.
vanuel
RunsWithWolves26 said:

According to the president, the malaria drug along with a zpack will start being distributed tomorrow morning in NY. He says that countries who have struggled with malaria and take this medicine for that, have shown very small numbers of the COVID19 in their countries. Fingers crossed this actually works. Has been used a few times already to great success in people with COVID19 in the USA already.
I know that there is some controversy regarding this idea, but we have to take some chances. The alternative is disaster. It's no worse than using containment as a strategy which is also a band aid for not having a proper vaccine.
RunsWithWolves26
vanuel said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I know that there is some controversy regarding this idea, but we have to take some chances. The alternative is disaster. It's no worse than using containment as a strategy which is also a band aid for not having a proper vaccine.

Agreed. I've seen several medical experts speak about this combination and they all say, yes, it has its drawbacks, most common one is build up of calcium in the eyes which can be fixed without much issue but as some point, you've got to just go for it. Cuomo, to his credit, has pushed really hard for this and I'm glad he has. My hope is it helps. It is not a cure but if it can cut the virus duration in half and lessen the symptoms, that would be a huge step forward for everyone.
RunsWithWolves26
I may be alone in this, but I am a big fan of Dr. Berx. She knows her stuff, she explains it well and doesn't speak in what ifs and assumptions. Always good when she gets extended time answering questions.
jkpackfan
statefan91 said:

Awesome news brother.
RunsWithWolves26
Dr berx just said the average age of a person who dies from this in Italy is around 80. I knew the population was older and that would contribute to the higher numbers but that was astounding to me to hear. That really says a lot about their numbers in Italy.
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.