Coronavirus

2,018,913 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Werewolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC has 255 cases with 0 deaths. Hope we wrap up this quarantine mess next week.

Edit... reply wasn't directed at you WW. Didn't realize it would do that.
vanuel
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Everpack said:

I wonder if there is any way to tell if the increase in covid19 deaths has had a negative effect on flu deaths?

I say that with this anecdotal evidence. My grandmother passed away two weeks ago today. She was 82. She was also obese and diabetic and had not taken care of herself at all since my grandfather passed several years ago. She lived with an aunt who works at a dentist office. Both of them woke up four weeks prior to her death with a cold. Five days later she was admitted to the hospital for dehydration and the flu. A week later she was moved to a rehab facility at a local nursing home. A week later she was moved to their hospice care and two days later she passed. Her cause of death? Pneumonia.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandma is in a nursing home and I'm truly worried about her
It has breached the facility that my mother is in as of this afternoon. Nothing that I can do now but hope for the best.
statefan91
New York is now sheltering in place. I'm just not sure where the **** things go from here? Like how long is California, New York, etc going to stay as shelter in place before everyone goes crazy and disregards things?
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

New York is now sheltering in place. I'm just not sure where the **** things go from here? Like how long is California, New York, etc going to stay as shelter in place before everyone goes crazy and disregards things?

I've been wondering the same exact thing myself. Btw, any news on your wife?
statefan91
Thanks for asking - still waiting on results. Test was done Wednesday morning but I guess there was a surge in testing so it's been harder to get results back quickly.

Hopefully that 45 minute test you linked to earlier will be widely used and help s quickly get control of this.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Thanks for asking - still waiting on results. Test was done Wednesday morning but I guess there was a surge in testing so it's been harder to get results back quickly.

Hopefully that 45 minute test you linked to earlier will be widely used and help s quickly get control of this.

You are in our prayers and were on the prayer list this morning. Please keep us posted. From what I've read, those test are starting up middle of the week. Would be a big game changer. Fingers crossed and continued prayers for your entire family.
WolfQuacker
Got tested this morning, probably have it. Wife had a coworker test positive and came down w/ symptoms about 10 days ago. She's recovered. I got symptoms starting last wednesday. Fluctuating fever on and off, max around 102 so far and seems to spike at night. No respitory issues yet, and none for the wife, but I have a ways to go. I was neg for flu, and expect covid19 results in 4-10 days. Life's been better.
statefan91
WolfQuacker said:

Got tested this morning, probably have it. Wife had a coworker test positive and came down w/ symptoms about 10 days ago. She's recovered. I got symptoms starting last wednesday. Fluctuating fever on and off, max around 102 so far and seems to spike at night. No respitory issues yet, and none for the wife, but I have a ways to go. I was neg for flu, and expect covid19 results in 4-10 days. Life's been better.

Prayers for you - did your wife get tested too? Do you have children?
WolfQuacker
Thanks. Appreciate that. No kids. Wife didn't get tested because she wasn't comfortable going into an office where suspected patients were sent. We tried to find drive up tests but the triangle seems to suck in this arena despite supposedly having some of the best healthcare available in the southeast. Sorry, just ranting as I try to type on my phone with chills
PackMom
Prayers for statefan91's wife and WolfQuacker and anyone else dealing with this or other illness. Bad time to be sick with anything. Take care of yourselves!
packgrad
My primary care doc is still doing routine appointments. Have a physical this morning. Parking lot is a ghost town.
Wolfpackrich1
My doctor called me and canceled my yearly physical scheduled for this week and rescheduled for June. Guess different doctors different guidelines on who they are seeing.
packgrad
My doctor said they stayed open so their employees would be able to get hours so they could pay them. I slow clapped. I had a similar conversation with my guys in the parking lot this morning. I Work in renovations. The guys were asking when we were going to close. Had to remind them that we don't get paid if we don't work. Who is going to pay their bills? We mostly work outside. Inside work where we have to interact with other people, we are not doing right now. Outside work, let's do it!
RunsWithWolves26
Half the cases in the USA are in NY state. This week is going to be pivotal in relation to exactly what happens with this virus in the country as a whole.
BigPack1517
packgrad said:

NC has 255 cases with 0 deaths. Hope we wrap up this quarantine mess next week.

Edit... reply wasn't directed at you WW. Didn't realize it would do that.
I just do not think it is realistic to think that you will be able to wrap up quarantine measures next week.

As of Saturday afternoon I believe there were 260ish cases in NC, however, between Friday/Saturday alone there were around 8,000 people in the State that got tested (3,000 on Friday and around 5,000 on Saturday). Which means 8,500 people in the State that got tested on those days would not know until the middle of this week at the earliest whether or not they will test positive.
ZAXPACK15
I found this article comforting and hopefully accurate.

https://www.amgreatness.com/2020/03/19/dangerous-curves/
3rd generation CALS grad
Mormad
The numbers I received yesterday shows that 4.5 percent of those tested are positive (252 out of 5272 tested), so that suggests 260ish will be 700ish by mid week. 450 deaths in Spain last night, 750 in Italy. NY not expected to peak for 3-4 weeks, at which time they'll need 900 ICU beds. They currently have 2patients sharing a single ventilator. This is an ugly ugly situation and actually fairly scary to me. This is no flu. I have cancelled all non emergent surgery for weeks, and I am asking patients to please consider telemed instead of office visits. I sincerely hope those of you who feel this is being way overblown are going to be correct, but we in the medical field simply can't afford the downside risk. We are taking this extremely seriously, and I implore you to do the same. Good luck to you and all you come in contact with if you don't.
RunsWithWolves26
ZAXPACK15 said:

I referenced this a few pages back. Doctors have been saying for weeks now that they were seeing these exact symptoms in November and December and even early January and couldn't pinpoint it. They would test for the flu and it would come back negative.
wilmwolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

ZAXPACK15 said:

I referenced this a few pages back. Doctors have been saying for weeks now that they were seeing these exact symptoms in November and December and even early January and couldn't pinpoint it. They would test for the flu and it would come back negative.
I experienced symptoms consistent with the virus in December. Negative for flu. Lasted about three weeks for the most intense symptoms, and continued to have mild respiratory issues and coughing after that. I'll never know what it was, but as I said at the start of this thread, I meet people from all across the country, and the world, on a daily basis, so I don't put it out of the realm of possibility.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
NY doc at Presbyterian told our group this weekend they had 600 admitted and 120 on a ventilator. That sht is frightening.
Mormad
As of this morning at 8:35 per the NCDHHS:

297 cases in NC with no deaths
8438 completed tests

15, 219 us cases, with 201 deaths
statefan91
Schools in NC closed until 5/15 - not sure what that means for daycares or children being able to progress to next grade level / graduate.

IseWolf22
Mormad said:

As of this morning at 8:35 per the NCDHHS:

297 cases in NC with no deaths
8438 completed tests

15, 219 us cases, with 201 deaths
As of 1:30 PM, the JohnHopkins tracker (which is usually 6-12 hours behind), has:

NC - 328
US total - 40,961

New York - 20,875

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
packgrad
Goodbye small businesses in NC.
RunsWithWolves26
I see people constantly comparing Italy and the USA. Italy's death rate is 9.3% while the USA is at 1.3%. south Korea is at 1.2%. With hundreds or thousands more being tested over the next 7-10 days, we could see the USA and their numbers saying similar to South Korea. I've been watching South Korea all along. They are the closest example we have to what the USA is and will do.
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

Goodbye small businesses in NC.

You honestly provide nothing of substance to this thread. Do you mind starring your own thread so you can post constant nothing's for yourself to read? Literally, you come here to talk down to people who don't believe exactly like you, make a comment like this one that provides nothing constructive or productive to the thread whatsoever and have constantly belittled others opinions, thoughts, fears, ect.
Mormad
CDC of noon: 33404 US cases with 400 deaths

This is the source of the NC numbers which doesn't match the 15k NC reported. Weird. But who cares, still a mess out there
wilmwolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I see people constantly comparing Italy and the USA. Italy's death rate is 9.3% while the USA is at 1.3%. south Korea is at 1.2%. With hundreds or thousands more being tested over the next 7-10 days, we could see the USA and their numbers saying similar to South Korea. I've been watching South Korea all along. They are the closest example we have to what the USA is and will do.
IMO any comparisons that don't take into account average population age, population density, geography, etc. are not really worth anything. Italy has 532 people per square mile. The US has 94. NYC is 26,000 per square mile. NC is 213. The virus simply is going to spread differently in those places.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
I think we'll handle this well and limit deaths. But it's going to take a coordinated effort. We need stimulus money (we've propped up the economy for a long time, time to keep doing it), research, drugs, vaccines, isolation, ventilators, care facilities, and PPE. Hanes has started producing PPE, 3D printing companies are trying to produce PPE. If you care about small business and you have the means, support them. Saw a prediction of 30 percent unemployment today. Crazy.
BigPack1517
Mormad said:

The numbers I received yesterday shows that 4.5 percent of those tested are positive (252 out of 5272 tested), so that suggests 260ish will be 700ish by mid week. 450 deaths in Spain last night, 750 in Italy. NY not expected to peak for 3-4 weeks, at which time they'll need 900 ICU beds. They currently have 2patients sharing a single ventilator. This is an ugly ugly situation and actually fairly scary to me. This is no flu. I have cancelled all non emergent surgery for weeks, and I am asking patients to please consider telemed instead of office visits. I sincerely hope those of you who feel this is being way overblown are going to be correct, but we in the medical field simply can't afford the downside risk. We are taking this extremely seriously, and I implore you to do the same. Good luck to you and all you come in contact with if you don't.

I'm one of many who want to say how grateful I am for those of you who work in the medical field and the things you are doing during this time.
statefan91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Do you mind talking about what SK is doing now? I haven't been following them but did they do total lockdown and open things back up? Are things improving there and getting back to somewhat normal lives?
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Do you mind talking about what SK is doing now? I haven't been following them but did they do total lockdown and open things back up? Are things improving there and getting back to somewhat normal lives?

Reported today that their death rate has leveled off. They also went straight to mass testing, something, that should be and I believe has already started being done here in the USA. Mass testing has been huge for SK throughout this entire situation. It's one of, if not the biggest reason that they have been able to sonewhat control what is going on. They've been able to test so many that they have been able to isolate so many more to keep the spread down. As for locking people down. I havent seen that but I could have missed it with all the constant noise and news going on. I will see what I can find on that and get back at you. Still praying for your family. Keep us updated.
Mormad
Totally agree, and I've been preaching this to my colleagues and friends for days. That said, what is happening in the high density populations is profoundly affecting those everywhere. And it seems so hysterical in some ways to me, but WHEN it reaches your circle it will get very real. Those who lose loved ones because they're one of the 1.3 percent will realize every death is one too many. I'm so thankful we're not in a high density area, but the numbers are growing rapidly and soon we'll see nc deaths. I worry about bringing it home to my family. Oh well, I'll shut up now. We all deal with these things differently, but I can tell you my medical colleagues, my family, and I are very very concerned.
IseWolf22
Mormad said:

CDC of noon: 33404 US cases with 400 deaths

This is the source of the NC numbers which doesn't match the 15k NC reported. Weird. But who cares, still a mess out there
CDC numbers will lag behind everything else. They are the most conservative source, only reporting confirmed cases sent to the CDC. This has value when you want to talk certainties, but I'd rather trust respected data conglomerates that will give more recent data.
RunsWithWolves26
Mormad said:

Totally agree, and I've been preaching this to my colleagues and friends for days. That said, what is happening in the high density populations is profoundly affecting those everywhere. And it seems so hysterical in some ways to me, but WHEN it reaches your circle it will get very real. Those who lose loved ones because they're one of the 1.3 percent will realize every death is one too many. I'm so thankful we're not in a high density area, but the numbers are growing rapidly and soon we'll see nc deaths. I worry about bringing it home to my family. Oh well, I'll shut up now. We all deal with these things differently, but I can tell you my medical colleagues, my family, and I are very very concerned.

Just so we are clear and I'm not attacking you or saying you were directing anything at me. I use the 1.3% death rate number as a reference. In no way so I believe that number means it's ok if someone else dies. I've taken this entire situation seriously. Never have I washed my hands, sanitized, etc as much as I have lately. Not just for my own safety, but for others. Again, just wanting to clarify my reasoning for using the percentage number I use.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.