Coronavirus

2,006,958 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
wolfman18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got my second dose of Pfizer last Friday around noon. Started to get a headache/small fever about 9pm. Took some tylenol and was fine the next day. I wonder if age has anything to do with your side effects.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Another bit of advice I was given was to make sure you hydrated a few days before the shot and especially after the shot. Seems to be helping people.

Was absolutely my experience. Hydrated for 36 hours before, supplemented with Magnesium per doc day before, day of, and day after (lot of evidence it helps all manners of headaches) and took some Advil a couple of hours after the second round.

A little tired that night but got up the next morning and went on a hike with the fam since we were taking a couple of days with the kids up near Boone. Took a nice nap that next afternoon and that was it. Arm was less sore than first round and no other effects to speak of.

Sample size of one obviously but very much recommend hydrating and Magnesium.
packgrad

Texas forever.
packgrad
Masks. It's now just about control. This family was let back on the plane, but not until after a **** ton of drama. Democrat America.

Daviewolf83
Posting a link to a really good article on variants (and other topics) by a top virologist. Some key points from the article:

- " ... there is only one known strain of the novel coronavirus -- the original one, SARS-CoV-2, first discovered in Wuhan. And, two, there's no evidence so far of a variant that can meaningfully evade vaccines, though there are several variants out there."

- "I am not worried at all that this virus is going to out-evolve vaccines. People have been looking at it the wrong way. People have been looking at antibodies. People say, "ah, the variants are less susceptible to antibodies. But, you know what? They are ignoring T cells."

- "The way vaccines work is that when you get infected after you're vaccinated you have a memory response and it takes two or three days to kick in. In those two or three days, you are going to be infected, but the infection will be kept down, you won't get sick and you probably won't transmit it." <== This is why I have been arguing that we should stop focusing on cases, once vaccinations are wide-spread. people will continue to get infected, but their body's immune system will be able to defeat it. It is all about who is contagious, not who is infected.

There is also some really good information on antivirals and why you need more than one before you treat people. The link to the article is below:

Don't Believe the Hype About COVID 'Super Strains,' Says Top Virologist

st8ofdenial
dogplasma said:

I have the J&J shot this Thursday AM before work. How immediate are the side effects, if they appear? Should I plan to possibly leave work early? (What's a convincing story that will allow me to leave work early? )

Got the J&J at 3pm today, nothing so far, arm a little sore. I'll give update in the morning, before jury duty
SexualChocolate
Got Moderna #2 on Thursday. Felt fine all of Thursday and during the night. Woke up Friday feeling chills followed by being overly tired. Lasted all day. Woke up Sat and felt fine.
PackPA2015
The man does not mince words about all the mistakes that were made in prevention and communication. We really messed up. Great article. Thanks for sharing Davie!
statefan91
Was looking at the NC DHHS site and some different things jumped out to me: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

• We have been < 1000 hospitalizations since 3/17; this was always a number that I looked at just because I remember how big of a deal it was when we first went over that number
  • 25% of the population 18+ has been fully vaccinated
  • 38% of the population 18+ has had at least one dose
  • The highest % positivity in the past month was in early March, 6.8% on 3/8
  • Deaths really appear to have dropped off significantly, not sure if it's because it's a lagging indicator or not
ciscopack
packgrad said:

Texas forever.
It looks great but in my uneducated opinion, it's 2,3,4,5 months too soon. Hopefully we can get by and not bring this mess back around for more, despite humans being humans. When stuff is starting to work, why not have a little more patience until most everyone is vacinated? Why play with fire? Hopefully upticks just fade away. i totally understand the want to get back to normal asap; I'm just afraid humans can't hang? We'll see.

COVID-19 cases spike in Michigan, fueled by infections among kids

Ohio continues to see uptick in new COVID-19 cases with increase of 2,293 Saturday

Illinois - COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations continue to see an uptick

North Dakota - First District discusses uptick of child COVID-19 cases, virus variants

Young people fueling COVID-19 virus uptick according to CDC

wilmwolf
Wayland
statefan91 said:

Was looking at the NC DHHS site and some different things jumped out to me: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

• We have been < 1000 hospitalizations since 3/17; this was always a number that I looked at just because I remember how big of a deal it was when we first went over that number
  • 25% of the population 18+ has been fully vaccinated
  • 38% of the population 18+ has had at least one dose
  • The highest % positivity in the past month was in early March, 6.8% on 3/8
  • Deaths really appear to have dropped off significantly, not sure if it's because it's a lagging indicator or not

A large number of deaths reported daily by NC DHHS are backlogged from weeks or months ago.

There will obviously be continued lagged reporting, but unless some counties are sitting on major backlog, things are considerably down... likely to the lowest numbers since April-May 2020.

Recently up to 80% of the deaths reported have been from weeks to months ago. Yesterday was one of the lower reports with only 43% coming from more than 3 weeks ago.

dogplasma
What will get NC out of the mask mandate? Some combination of percent vaccinated and hospitalization/death stats? I don't think officials want to put out specifics so I don't recall seeing anything reported.

I remember early on the thought was at least 60% of the population immunized to keep things under control, but then that was revised upwards of 80% at some point. Don't know if that's a primary input or not but I would think there has to be some percent immunization threshold as a factor.
FlossyDFlynt
Science
packgrad

Wayland
packgrad said:

Illusion of Control with a heavy side of Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Egos so large that any kind of mea culpa is unfathomable.
statefan91
packgrad said:

I don't care why they're dropping - as long as they keep dropping then I think it's awesome
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

What will get NC out of the mask mandate? Some combination of percent vaccinated and hospitalization/death stats? I don't think officials want to put out specifics so I don't recall seeing anything reported.

I remember early on the thought was at least 60% of the population immunized to keep things under control, but then that was revised upwards of 80% at some point. Don't know if that's a primary input or not but I would think there has to be some percent immunization threshold as a factor.
The governor and the NCDHHS director have not provided any definitive guidelines or metrics for ending the mask mandate. Always remember, the mask mandate and the restrictive policies were put in place to flatten the curve and not to end the pandemic. In the early days of the mandates last year, they always said we needed to see 14 days of declines in hospitalizations, cases, and percent positives to relax the mandates. We have seen well below this and there has been some relaxing, but no discussion of mask mandates and what needs to happen to end them.

I have consistently said that when we get to 50% of the population vaccinated, we should remove the mask mandate and I stand by this guideline. Based on everything I have read, prevalence of immunity from previous Covid-19 infection is in the 15% range, so adding this to the 50% figure means at least 65% of the population should have immunity. Additionally, there seems to be some evidence coming out of Israel and the UK that cases and hospitalizations drop when the overall population or a specific age group achieves a first dose vaccination level of 50% of the represented population. I have definitely identified a drop in hospitalizations by age group when the 50% threshold for first vaccine dose is reached, so I believe there is some validity to this guideline.

I would make one other point that a couple of people (one is an infectious disease doctor) I follow on Twitter have made regarding a guideline to end mask mandates. This guideline is that mask mandates should end after the vaccine as available for anyone who wants a vaccine, plus 30 days. The plus 30 days allows for the timeframe to get a first and second dose. If you assume by the end of April or early May that we will be at a point where anyone who wants a vaccine can get one, the mask mandates should end by mid-June. I agree this is a good target and it also lines up with the timing where I would project 50% of the population is vaccinated.

If the mandates do not come down after mid-June, they are going to be met with resistance by a lot of people in the health community. I am definitely not as optimistic as some that the government will easily lift the mask mandates when the metrics I mentioned are met. Unfortunately, there is a vocal minority of people known as "Zero Covid" proponents and they will likely continue to try and keep restrictions and mask mandates in place. They believe any Covid death is bad and we can not relax our restrictions until we get to a point of close to zero deaths. Additionally, they do not agree with relaxing restrictions when deaths and cases get to the level of the yearly flu (something I have advocated for in the past).

I do predict if mask mandates to hang on beyond mid-June, you will likely hear some mention of variants. If they say anything about variants and use them as an argument to keep mask mandates, you should ignore anyone who makes this argument. As I posted last night, no variant has been found that is not impacted by the current vaccines and to continue to cite variants is just done to needlessly scare people.

It is interesting that the Biden Administration announced a public contest for people to design a better mask and are offering $500,000 in price money for the winners. I do understand that improving mask designs has great benefit to the medical community, but part of their assumption is we need a better design so people will continue to wear a mask during the pandemic. If mask mandates were to end soon, why do we need this contest right now? It does not give me a good feeling about the potential of mask mandates ending in the next couple of months.

If people are interested in reading more, here is a very good article concerning when the pandemic is over and life can return to normal:

A Simple Rule of Thumb for Knowing When the Pandemic Is Over
Daviewolf83
More good news today:

packgrad
God bless Texas
wilmwolf
I expect that the goal posts will continue to be moved for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
dogplasma
Thanks for that. I'm no immunologist but somewhere around 60% of the population vaccinated with no long lines for shots seems pretty reasonable. Especially if hospitalization rates are down. You could probably make a case based on hospitalization alone.
Daviewolf83
Here's an ethical question, for all to consider. I thought it would be a good topic and is something I have been thinking about the past couple of weeks.

The question is this:

Once everyone has the opportunity to get the Covid-19 vaccine if they want a vaccine, for those of us who got a vaccine, do we have an ethical obligation to continue to wear a mask and social distance to protect those people who, for various reasons, have chosen to NOT be vaccinated?

I will give my answer to start the discussion and it is simple. NO, I do not believe I have an ethical obligation to wear a mask and social distance to protect those who have "willingly" chosen to not be vaccinated for Covid-19.
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

Here's an ethical question, for all to consider. I thought it would be a good topic and is something I have been thinking about the past couple of weeks.

The question is this:

Once everyone has the opportunity to get the Covid-19 vaccine if they want a vaccine, for those of us who got a vaccine, do we have an ethical obligation to continue to wear a mask and social distance to protect those people who, for various reasons, have chosen to NOT be vaccinated?

I will give my answer to start the discussion and it is simple. NO, I do not believe I have an ethical obligation to wear a mask and social distance to protect those who have "willingly" chosen to not be vaccinated for Covid-19.
Absolutely not. Once you have been vaccinated and we have gotten to a threshold, I think you had recommended 50% immunity, we shouldn't be expected to continue wearing masks. Some might, I might even if going into crowded spaces. But it shouldn't be mandated.
wilmwolf
No.
packgrad
Nope.
FlossyDFlynt
Daviewolf83 said:

The question is this:

Absolutely not. We cannot make regulations based on the minority voluntarily not taking the vaccine. It is their choice not to get vaccinated, they will have to live with their choices and whatever consequences come from said actions. I dont even see it as an ethical obligation, its a hard no from me.

Now, I wouldnt begrudge them if they chose to continue wearing the mask, as it is their choice. But the moment I am vaccinated and the mandates are lifted, the mask goes in the trash
Daviewolf83
Thanks for the replies so far and I appreciate the honest answers. I will also add that my question is not hypothetical, but is based in part, on a very real world scenario (related to colleges/universities and also sports teams). I also saw it posed as a question on Twitter, so I was curious to get some other opinions.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

The question is this:

Absolutely not. Once you have been vaccinated and we have gotten to a threshold, I think you had recommended 50% immunity, we shouldn't be expected to continue wearing masks. Some might, I might even if going into crowded spaces. But it shouldn't be mandated.
Definitively will not continue to wear one for Covid.

But in the future if I'm not feeling well, I may wear a mask if I need to leave the house. Just as a courtesy to try and not spread whatever cold I have.
statefan91
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

The question is this:

Absolutely not. At that point it's a choice and I believe in freedom of choice.
Daviewolf83
It's starting and is what I predicted. By mid-June, California will lift all restrictions, but KEEP the mask mandate. They are not going to let it go so easily.

PackPA2015
In my opinion, no, those who are vaccinated should not have to wear masks to protect those who are unvaccinated. In the medical field, I can foresee those who refuse a covid vaccine being required to wear a mask during the viral seasons. This would be just like the rule made for those who refuse a influenza vaccination and work in healthcare.

As far as NC dropping the mask mandate, I honestly think it will be June barring some unforseen spike. If we do not hit that vaccine plateau, it may even be earlier.
Colonel Armstrong
I will not be wearing a mask unless absolutely required 10 days after my second dose. Sorry in advance to everyone
mdreid
i think we're closer to normal than we think,

i was able to get out to a local bar saturday night to enjoy a few beers and live music with friends, other than the limited capacity it was like it was before this pandemic. it was nice to see everyone enjoying the music and not giving a crap about the mask rule.
First Page Last Page
Page 253 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.