Coronavirus

2,006,632 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

There is a group, probably just as much on the fringe as those hard-line anti maskers, who think that masking should be the new normal, vaccines or not. To my perspective they are much louder than the folks on the other side, but that may be colored by the fact that I am friends with one and see her posts every day on my Facebook feed. She will not go anywhere in public, indoors or out, vaccine or not, without a mask, makes children wear them everywhere, etc. Any time any of the restrictions are lightened, she's all over the comment sections screaming about how we're all going to die. There are kooks on both sides.
Understatement of the year, brother.

ETA: CDC just released new guidelines on travel. Fully vaccinated should feel safe to travel both domestic and international, mask recommended of course. They did not require self-quarantine or testing when coming back form international travel, but recommended one or the other.

New CDC Guidelines
statefan91
PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

There is a group, probably just as much on the fringe as those hard-line anti maskers, who think that masking should be the new normal, vaccines or not. To my perspective they are much louder than the folks on the other side, but that may be colored by the fact that I am friends with one and see her posts every day on my Facebook feed. She will not go anywhere in public, indoors or out, vaccine or not, without a mask, makes children wear them everywhere, etc. Any time any of the restrictions are lightened, she's all over the comment sections screaming about how we're all going to die. There are kooks on both sides.

ETA: CDC just released new guidelines on travel. Fully vaccinated should feel safe to travel both domestic and international, mask recommended of course. They did not require self-quarantine or testing when coming back form international travel, but recommended one or the other.

New CDC Guidelines
Surprised they would OK international with potential for variants that aren't currently contained.
PackPA2015
statefan91 said:

PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

New CDC Guidelines
Surprised they would OK international with potential for variants that aren't currently contained.
I was too, to be honest, but I am assuming they are really betting on the new evidence that the vaccines will still cover the variants well enough to prevent outbreaks.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

statefan91 said:

PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

New CDC Guidelines
I was too, to be honest, but I am assuming they are really betting on the new evidence that the vaccines will still cover the variants well enough to prevent outbreaks.
I posted one study yesterday and I have seen a few others, suggesting the vaccines will protect us against most, if not all of the known variants. The Pfizer study of 40,000 people indicates the vaccine is:

- 100% effective at preventing severe disease in the real world
- Effectiveness lasts for AT LEAST 6 months and likely longer
- Showed a 91.3% vaccine efficacy against the B.1.351 S. Africa variant

In the case of the UK, they have continued to see dramatic declines in infection, hospitalizations and deaths, despite having seeing a significant spread of the UK variant. The UK has vaccinated at a higher rate than any other country in the world, with the exception of Israel and are definitely seeing the effects of this effort.
dogplasma
NM
Daviewolf83
I have read with interest the back and forth discussion in recent days with regards to masks, the effectiveness of mask mandates, and should be continue to wear a mask after vaccination when knowingly coming in contact with a known positive case. I definitely have appreciated the back and forth and I think it has to the greatest extent possible, remained very civil. Interesting points have been made by both sides and I believe everyone is earnest in their beliefs. Thanks for keeping the thread as positive as possible with regards to a contentious issue.

I think a post by Civilized helped to really frame the whole mask mandate controversy and why people have strongly held beliefs. Masks have become a sign of government control and a large number of people have strongly held beliefs about the role of government and the amount of control it can exert over our lives. The pandemic and the associated health policies have tested all of us over the past year. Some of the policies make sense, so they are more easily adopted. Others, such as mask wearing mandates have been met with resistance, since they are a very visible sign of government's control.

Just the use of the word "mandates" designates a level of control. We all have to recognize that in the US, many people have a very deep-seated distrust of the collective government and as such, policies that do not appear sound (one day Fauci says don't wear a mask and later he says you must) are met with distrust. This is why messaging by the government and national leaders is so critical. You only have one chance to get it right and if you change your guidance or messaging, it generates distrust. Couple this with an already deep-seated distrust and you get reactions like you see today on this thread and all over the nation.

I am at a point in the pandemic (I actually reached is months ago) where I do not blame any one individual for the spread of cases. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I have encountered people on Twitter who use cases as evidence of "Trumpists" (her term, not mine) not wearing masks and she likes knowing how many cases we have, since it helps her to know how many "Trumpists" are not wearing masks. Obviously, she views what is happening through a political lens. I on the other hand recognize that even if we all wore masks, the virus would still exist and spread. This reminds me of the ridiculous thing the last CDC director said about masks being more powerful than vaccines (I am paraphrasing, but you remember what was said). It was absolutely reckless and further emphasizes my point no messaging. People think, if we all wear masks the virus will go away and this is just not going to happen.

Case in point (I have mentioned this in the past), I have two good friends who became infected while wearing masks. They both know who the infected person was while they were wearing masks and the person they came in contact with was also wearing a mask. They told me they were very surprised when they were diagnosed (got tested after learning the person they contacted was infected), since they had been wearing a mask ("correctly" in their words) at the time. Both of their cases were very mild and I think this could likely be due to the fact they were wearing masks - a reason I will get to shortly.

As I said, I have read most of the comments in this thread recently, including Mormad's question about visiting someone who is known to be infected with Covid-19, after you are vaccinated. It got me thinking about systems (after all, my education is Industrial Engineering and this is what we are taught to think about) and how a systematic view would apply to both vaccinations and mask wearing. As some of you know from my past posts, I am not a big believer in mask wearing after being vaccinated and this comes, in part, from viewing mask wearing and vaccination as an entire system.

Think of is this way, if you have been vaccinated, you have 85% to 100% protection against severe disease and in most cases, 100% protection against hospitalization and death (chart attached below). These are very good percentages. I then started looking for studies that would tell me how protective (from a quantitative point of view) wearing a mask would be. In this quest, I found a very interesting meta analysis (I will link it below) on the CDC's website. In the study, it pointed out the following:

"Increasing rates of asymptomatic and mild infection with COVID-19 have been seen over time during the pandemic in settings adopting population-level masking."

My initial reaction was, Wow. How could this be? Wouldn't you expect mask wearing and in turn, mask mandates to be lowering infection levels in the population? I think the key here is the use of the word "asymptomatic." Remember what I said earlier about my friends. They were wearing masks, they became infected while wearing the mask, and were surprised when they tested positive. They were surprised, since they were asymptomatic. Some other studies were cited in the analysis, pointing to the following with regards to mask wearing and asymptomatic cases:

"A report from a pediatric hemodialysis unit in Indiana, where all patients and staff were masked, demonstrated that staff rapidly developed antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 after exposure to a single symptomatic patient with COVID-19. In the setting of masking, however, none of the new infections was symptomatic."

"in a recent outbreak in a seafood processing plant in Oregon where all workers were issued masks each day at work, the rate of asymptomatic infection among the 124 infected was 95%."

"An outbreak in a Tyson chicken plant in Arkansas with masking also showed a 95% asymptomatic rate of infection."

So, what am I left to conclude? Here's my thinking:

1. Do mask mandates lower the spread of symptomatic cases of Covid-19? I believe the answer is yes, based on what I just posted.

2. Do mask mandates lower the spread of asymptomatic cases of Covid-19? Based on the studies cited and the comments in the analysis (and my own personal experience with my friends - yes I know it is anedotal), I would say the answer is yes, but not in 100% of cases. A couple of the studies I mentioned were congregate settings and I do believe in these types of settings, mask wearing is not 100% and in the cases cited, it was only 5% effective in reducing asymptomatic cases. If you assume many, due to the nature of the work (manual labor in difficult conditions) were not wearing masks properly, it is likely the protection is much greater.

3. Is the wearing a masks, after being vaccinated, additive protection? This is where my systematic approach comes in. If a vaccine gives you 85% to 100% protection against symptomatic infection, will a mask give you more protection. In this case, it depends. If you already have 95% to 100% protection from asymptomatic infection from a mask, it is not likely the mask will give you any more protection. In these cases, a vaccinated person wearing a mask would have redundant protection (ie., no added benefit). You can not have greater than 100% protection, just like you can not give more than 100% effort. If you assume the protection threshold at the 85% level, then it is possible wearing a mask will give you added protection (assuming it is additive), but this protection level would be an incremental ~10%.

4. Did people engage in less than safe practices while wearing masks, such as being in large, indoor crowds and still get infected? I believe the answer to this is yes. The masks likely gave people the sense that if I wear a mask, I can engage in behaviors that still put me at risk. In these cases, mask wearing did not prevent the spread and in some ways, it encouraged it. Remember, the CDC has advised (and Dr. Birx said many times) that you have to social distance while wearing a mask. I believe many people ignored this advice and assumed the masks would allow them to act in a more risky manner.

5. Was there a positive to the mask mandates and the wearing of masks? The analysis I cited would suggest there was, but it is not for the reason you would think. It was due to the fact that the masks prevented symptomatic and severe cases and in turn, allowed asymptomatic people to become infected and develop antibodies and T-Cells. In a backward kind of way, it was a positive. Here is the exact quote from the analysis:

"Although asymptomatic infection can be problematic in terms of increasing spread,4 it can also be beneficial.14 Higher rates of asymptomatic infection with SARS-CoV-2 lead to higher rates of exposure, as was seen with antibody testing campaigns in Japan48 or the surveillance study in the pediatric hemodialysis unit in Indiana.39"

I had to read this a few times for it to sink in, but it is accurate. So, where does this all leave me on the topics discussed over the past few days? Here is where i land.

1. Would visit a known Covid infected person after being vaccinated without wearing a mask? Before answering, a brief story. When I was a kid (I've mentioned this before too), my mom sent my brother and I to play for an entire day with neighbors who were infected with the measles, in hopes we would become infected. This was before we had a measles vaccine and it was considered better to catch the measles as kids instead of in adulthood. Needless to say, it did not work. My brother and I never became infected and several years later, we got the vaccine after it was developed. Would I knowingly do this with something as deadly as Covid-19? No. Would I do it after being vaccinated? Likely not, but my fear level would be greatly reduced.

2. Do we need to continue wearing masks in public after vaccination? As I have stated before, I believe we should continue wearing them until them until 50% of the population has been vaccinated or three months after vaccines become so prevalent that anyone that wants one, can get one. When will this be? Likely in mid to late June.

3. Do I think people who are vaccinated can meet together and not wear a mask? Yes.

4. Do I think you need to wear a mask outdoors, even with other people around, after being fully vaccinated? No.

5. Will mask mandates remain longer than they need to be in effect? Unfortunately, I believe the answer is yes. Fear is a powerful thing and we have had a year of the media and national leaders spreading irrational fear. For this reason, mask mandates will likely remain in effect longer than required and the shaming of people not wearing masks will continue.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post. I am sorry it is so long, but I had a lot to say about the subject. If your opinion on the topic is different than mine, it is okay. You might not agree with some (or all) of what I said and that is okay. I like hearing different views and as I mentioned before, I appreciate honest and fair discussion.

Here is the link to the study I mentioned and the chart on vaccine efficacy (chart source: Dr. Monica Gandhi):

Masks Do More Than Protect Others During Covid-19

Vaccine Efficacy:
packgrad
Good stuff, Davie, as usual. Great layout of your position. Well thought out and put together. Will have to give this one another read later tonight or this weekend so I can check out your links.
Mormad
All that just to say, "i agree with mormad."

I kid. Great stuff, Davie.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

All that just to say, "i agree with mormad."

I kid. Great stuff, Davie.
Thanks. I just had to work it out in long form to get to that point ;-)
Civilized
I'm definitely enjoying that novel later tonight, with a bourbon in hand.

Thanks as always Davie.
Daviewolf83
Messaging on Covid vaccines continues to be a mess for the current administration and is not helpful at all. It appears politics are in control yet again. This is why I believe masks will be required, long after we have vaccinated people at sufficient numbers to say they are not necessary. The decision will be based more on politics and less on science and levels of risk.

Coming on the heals of the CDC's mismanagement of the school reopening guidelines a few weeks ago, we now have the very confusing and obviously politically guided messaging on the ability for vaccinated people to travel. So far, I am not impressed with the new CDC Director.

statefan91
While I didn't like her message earlier this week (or last?) that was talking about impending doom, this doesn't bother me. Seems like they're saying vaccinated people that need to do essential travel should feel safe doing it, but they're not recommending everyone start going to Myrtle Beach and Six Flags just yet.
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

While I didn't like her message earlier this week (or last?) that was talking about impending doom, this doesn't bother me. Seems like they're saying vaccinated people that need to do essential travel should feel safe doing it, but they're not recommending everyone start going to Myrtle Beach and Six Flags just yet.
The CDC guidelines say nothing about "essential travel." It says the following on their website:

"Fully vaccinated people can resume domestic travel and do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel."

If I missed the "essential travel" wording on the CDC website, please let me know. The guidelines say nothing about rising cases and where you should avoid traveling. The CDC director added this later, after guidelines were published. If rising cases were important (which they are not) it should have been included in the guidelines. To add it later in Tweet only confuses the messaging and confused messaging is bad messaging.
wilmwolf
We're months beyond essential travel being a thing, if it ever was. I live at the beach, it was a banner year for tourism last year.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

We're months beyond essential travel being a thing, if it ever was. I live at the beach, it was a banner year for tourism last year.
Yep. Topsail Island had a record year for vacation rentals as well... blew the top off of the previous record.

Guess what states the bulk of those visitors came from? A N D the early wave of them that invaded last March and first half of April (when they were fleeing their own states to get away from it) were initially resistant to mask wearing in grocery stores, liquor stores and retail shops (cussing at retail workers, etc.)... I'd say it was very late April / early May before you started seeing 95%+ masks inside stores here on the NC Coast and most of those initially not doing it were mostly a decent portion of those in the construction field and tourists from out of state...
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

The CDC guidelines say nothing about "essential travel." It says the following on their website:

"Fully vaccinated people can resume domestic travel and do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel."

If I missed the "essential travel" wording on the CDC website, please let me know. The guidelines say nothing about rising cases and where you should avoid traveling. The CDC director added this later, after guidelines were published. If rising cases were important (which they are not) it should have been included in the guidelines. To add it later in Tweet only confuses the messaging and confused messaging is bad messaging.
"CDC discourages non-essential domestic travel by those who are not fully vaccinated."

From their guidelines.

Travel is not the issue and hasn't been an issue for a long time. What they want to say is "please don't travel and have mass orgies in wine cellars and then return home and go right to work" and some of that is included in their messaging but it is clouded by the "non-essential domestic travel".

Travel in itself is not unsafe.

The virus is endemic, it isn't about travelling. It is about what activities do you engage in. There is a non-zero degree of risk in every second of your life.

I appreciate everyone having their own acceptable level of risk. Policy is so disconnected from reality, it is just bizarre. We keep trying to cater policy to the people that haven't left their basements in a year because this is the apocalypse.
Wayland
Civilized
Wayland said:

have mass orgies in wine cellars

Address, or else you're lying.
Wayland
Civilized said:

Wayland said:

have mass orgies in wine cellars

Address, or else you're lying.

Fidelio
WarrenPeace
I am traveling to Florida with my family by plane and we're not vaccinated and I don't care what the CDC says.
Wayland
Per CDC. Source @kerpen

75% of all US 65+ with at least one dose. 54.7% series complete.

40.1% of all US 18+ with at least one dose. 23% series complete.

wilmwolf
You would think that 75% of the most vulnerable portion of the population being vaccinated, even in part, is a pretty big deal.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
wilmwolf80 said:

You would think that 75% of the most vulnerable portion of the population being vaccinated, even in part, is a pretty big deal.
For mortality... big deal. Again the risk stratification is off the charts.

In NC with currently 12136 reported deaths with COVID:

83% of the deaths are +65 years of age. (10,060)

13.5% of the deaths are between 50-64 (1640)

~3.6% are under 50:

• 0.025% 17 and under (3)
  • 0.135% 18-24 (15)
  • 3.44% 25-49 (417)

1 death missing an age.

statefan91
We just need to get shots in arms - data continues to indicate good resistance to severe disease amongst variants as well

IseWolf22
Wife and I both got Pfizer round #1 on Friday.

I was light headed for about an hour, and the next day my arm was pretty sore. Otherwise no issues. Scheduled for round #2 at the end of the month.
statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

I was light headed for about an hour, and the next day my arm was pretty sore. Otherwise no issues. Scheduled for round #2 at the end of the month.
Great news, glad to hear. I have my second Moderna shot on Thursday.
ciscopack
IseWolf22 said:

Same for me.... I thought the light headed was that it was 3PM and I had ate nothing all day. Arm was a little sore the next day but not Tetanus shot sore. I'll eat before the next shot for sure.

I hate seeing the maskless large gatherings without some space.....just when we're chasing normal. I don't want a 4th wave and non-normal anything this coming fall. I think people can go on vacation and be smart about it. Humans will be humans.... fill up the Texas baseball stadium.
RunsWithWolves26
Another bit of advice I was given was to make sure you hydrated a few days before the shot and especially after the shot. Seems to be helping people.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Another bit of advice I was given was to make sure you hydrated a few days before the shot and especially after the shot. Seems to be helping people.
I am scheduled to get the J&J shot on Friday afternoon. Thanks for the advice and I will definitely give it a try.

My son got the J&J vaccine last week and he had a fever and headache that lasted around 12 hours. Luckily, he got the vaccination early enough on the day he got vaccinated for the symptoms to end prior to football practice the next morning. He had a couple of teammates to get their vaccination later the same day and they were still feeling bad the next morning and opted out of practice. He is so happy to have the vaccine and not have to quarantine if he comes in contact with someone who is infected. He still has to wear a mask during all team events and on campus.

They had a practice/scrimmage on Saturday and parents were allowed to attend (no one from general public). We all had to wear masks in the stadium and space out. It was such a nice day and so nice to get to watch some football again.
statefan91
I hadn't heard that Columbia, SC was a hotspot. That's a bit concerning to me in Charlotte, hopefully this helps.

dogplasma
I have the J&J shot this Thursday AM before work. How immediate are the side effects, if they appear? Should I plan to possibly leave work early? (What's a convincing story that will allow me to leave work early? )
bigeric
^
If you feel you need an excuse, then any excuse will do.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
packgrad
dogplasma said:

I have the J&J shot this Thursday AM before work. How immediate are the side effects, if they appear? Should I plan to possibly leave work early? (What's a convincing story that will allow me to leave work early? )

Mine kicked in between hours 12 and 36. But no longer. Sore arm for a while, but that doesn't count.
FlossyDFlynt
Just registered with Wake county. No idea what the turn around time for appointments are at the moment. I did somewhat chuckle as their criteria put me in group 4, even though I was waiting until group 5
Colonel Armstrong
Why you can't believe anything coming from news sites these days. They've developed a narrative and will stick with it till the end.

First Page Last Page
Page 252 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.