Coronavirus

1,980,707 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Werewolf
WPNfamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had COVID back in February. I get shot number one on Saturday. By mid May there is a zero % chance I wear a masks anywhere. People can look at me funny all they want. Not doing it.
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

I had COVID back in February. I get shot number one on Saturday. By mid May there is a zero % chance I wear a masks anywhere. People can look at me funny all they want. Not doing it.
I am getting my shot (J&J) on Saturday as well. I am going to a clinic in Winston-Salem, since I will be in town to attend my son's second practice/scrimmage of the Spring. I plan to take it easy on Sunday if I have any side effects. Looking forward to having the protection of a vaccine, since it is more effective in protecting me than a mask.
WPNfamily
Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

I am getting my shot (J&J) on Saturday as well. I am going to a clinic in Winston-Salem, since I will be in town to attend my son's second practice/scrimmage of the Spring. I plan to take it easy on Sunday if I have any side effects. Looking forward to having the protection of a vaccine, since it is more effective in protecting me than a mask.
My vax flavor is a surprise. I honestly have zero preference. I don't think there is a bad one really. J&J for a one and done would be nice. Mine is at Davidson College. I think the arena there has a one day blowout going. I am supposed to play golf Sunday so crossing my fingers for no side effects. Sore arm or not I will have to play through. Honestly pretty excited and early on I was a now way I am getting a shot guy. Hoping for a good Sunday for both of us.
ciscopack
WPNfamily said:

A lot of people don't care about others; you ain't alone. Most people have to be tougher than some. I have a buddy that was in Lowes yesterday complaining to me about the mask he was wearing on the phone. If you can't hang Andy; take it off! I ain't skerd.
packgrad
Wearing a mask means you "care about others more". Lol.

Virtue signaling 101
packwest
At some point, you have to commit to the idea that the vaccine is going to work as intended. I get that we're probably not there yet with less than 50% having a single dose, but we're awfully damn close.
WPNfamily
ciscopack said:

WPNfamily said:

A lot of people don't care about others; you ain't alone. Most people have to be tougher than some. I have a buddy that was in Lowes yesterday complaining to me about the mask he was wearing on the phone. If you can't hang Andy; take it off! I ain't skerd.
If I have had COVID and am 30 days past my first vax and already had my second then why wear a mask. Seriously I am willing to listen.
bigeric
For kicks and giggles, let us all get UNC masks, and wear them while driving.

Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
dogplasma
They should give out those colored rubber bracelets post-vaccination, like the ones Livestrong used to be known for. Then those that are fully vaccinated could wear one those instead of a mask.

For those that are following Covid talk closer than me, is there evidence to show that vaccinated people can't/don't carry the virus? Doesn't seem like they would (you would hope), but uncertainty there could be a reason to keep masking until we hit some vaccination threshold.
FlossyDFlynt
dogplasma said:

They should give out those colored rubber bracelets post-vaccination, like the ones Livestrong used to be known for. Then those that are fully vaccinated could wear one those instead of a mask.

For those that are following Covid talk closer than me, is there evidence to show that vaccinated people can't/don't carry the virus? Doesn't seem like they would (you would hope), but uncertainty there could be a reason to keep masking until we hit some vaccination threshold.
Sounds like a vaccine passport to me, so itll be a hard pass from me. I realize there are places where Ill have to prove I am vaccinated (work for one), but in no way am I carrying something on me that says I am vaccinated
ncsualum05
ciscopack said:

WPNfamily said:

This is exactly the kind of attitude that keeps this whole virus a ****storm of politics and virtue signaling. Saying that someone doesn't care about others because they want to take their mask off after being fully vaccinated?

Say that to yourself several times and ask yourself if that makes any freaking sense.
TheStorm
ncsualum05 said:

ciscopack said:

WPNfamily said:

This is exactly the kind of attitude that keeps this whole virus a ****storm of politics and virtue signaling. Saying that someone doesn't care about others because they want to take their mask off after being fully vaccinated?

Say that to yourself several times and ask yourself if that makes any freaking sense.
He doesn't care... he's going to cling to that stance as long as he can, regardless of whether it makes any common sense or not.
ciscopack
I go to a restaurant or place of business and they have multiple please distance as best as possible and wear a mask in this business on doors and windows; a blind man can see them. I go in and ALL of their workers are wearing masks. Do they want to wear them? NO ..... IT IS CALLED RESPECT!
dogplasma
FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Sounds like a vaccine passport to me, so itll be a hard pass from me. I realize there are places where Ill have to prove I am vaccinated (work for one), but in no way am I carrying something on me that says I am vaccinated
Yeah, it was just a random thought as an easy way to signal that you're safe to be mask free as you go out and about. Maybe not a great idea. Getting enough people vaccinated and lifting the mandate is the goal.
FlossyDFlynt
dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Yeah, it was just a random thought as an easy way to signal that you're safe to be mask free as you go out and about. Maybe not a great idea. Getting enough people vaccinated and lifting the mandate is the goal.
Its not a bad idea in theory. But it also means I would have to trust government and businesses to use my health information and not use it in some sort of nefarious way. Forgive me, but I dont trust government or businesses enough to use that information at face value.
Steve Williams
Staff
Saw a sound bite from a guy last night, not sure if he was on Biden's covid team, CDC or WHO but was with one of them. He said even if all 330 million people in the US got vaccinated we still shouldn't go back to normal because there were variants across the globe that could get into the US and spread. I guess we're in this for the long haul.
dogplasma
Daviewolf83's link above has discussion with a well known virologist about variants. According to him the concern is overblown with respect to vaccine effectiveness.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

Saw a sound bite from a guy last night, not sure if he was on Biden's covid team, CDC or WHO but was with one of them. He said even if all 330 million people in the US got vaccinated we still shouldn't go back to normal because there were variants across the globe that could get into the US and spread. I guess we're in this for the long haul.

(not directed at you Steve)
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

Daviewolf83's link above has discussion with a well known virologist about variants. According to him the concern is overblown with respect to vaccine effectiveness.
There is also a long Twitter thread posted by Dr. Monica Gandhi (Infectious Disease doctor I have referred to often) regarding variants. If you have time, I suggest reading through it in its condensed form at the following link:

Let's talk B117 and why I don't think this variant is going to deter our progress

Bottom line - The risk from variants continues to be overblown. There is a new study out of the UK and it basically says the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK was not impacted by new variants in any measurable way.

Here's the link to the UK study:

The course of the UK COVID 19 pandemic; no measurable impact of new variants

Here's the link to the interview with Dr. Vincent Racaniello, a top virologist who wrote the book on viruses. This is the link you referred to that I posted a couple of days ago:

Don't Believe the Hype About COVID 'Super Strains,' Says Top Virologist
WolfQuacker
I need my first shot in Wake county area. Willing to drive a bit, but not going to do HT. I don't think I have a preference on vaccine. I'm not having any luck finding openings and looking for suggestions.

TIA
'Quacker
Daviewolf83
WolfQuacker said:

I need my first shot in Wake county area. Willing to drive a bit, but not going to do HT. I don't think I have a preference on vaccine. I'm not having any luck finding openings and looking for suggestions.

TIA
'Quacker
You can use the following link that PackMom posted a week or so. I found it to be very helpful and accurate. You can sort by type of vaccine. It shows locations throughout NC where there are open appointments for all pharmacies (Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Harris Teeter).

North Carolina Covid-19 Vaccine Spotter
Mormad
Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

There is also a long Twitter thread posted by Dr. Monica Gandhi (Infectious Disease doctor I have referred to often) regarding variants. If you have time, I suggest reading through it in its condensed form at the following link:

Let's talk B117 and why I don't think this variant is going to deter our progress

Bottom line - The risk from variants continues to be overblown. There is a new study out of the UK and it basically says the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK was not impacted by new variants in any measurable way.

Here's the link to the UK study:

The course of the UK COVID 19 pandemic; no measurable impact of new variants

Here's the link to the interview with Dr. Vincent Racaniello, a top virologist who wrote the book on viruses. This is the link you referred to that I posted a couple of days ago:

Don't Believe the Hype About COVID 'Super Strains,' Says Top Virologist

Gawd, yes. Let's get every person who is willing vaccinated and get as close to normal as we can and as quickly as normal. Things will not be "normal" among society for a long long time because so many different people view their own personal risk so differently (like i said, there will be those who mask up during flu season and/or freak out every time they sniffle and that's ok), but i agree with Monica that the vaccines are getting us closer with each passing shot.
wilmwolf
PackMom posted this link a ways back. I know several people that have found what they were looking for this way.

https://www.vaccinespotter.org/NC/
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
bigeric
FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Its not a bad idea in theory. But it also means I would have to trust government and businesses to use my health information and not use it in some sort of nefarious way. Forgive me, but I dont trust government or businesses enough to use that information at face value.
Aren't they already building a vaccinated data base? When I received my first shot, they had an appointment list, by name, date & time. They made an appointment for the second shot, again by name, date, time & location (different location). I'm sure when I go next Tuesday, they will have their list, by name, date, time & type vaccine.
It is a one of the mass vaccine locations operated by the National Guard. It was/is quite efficient, though.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
PackMom
WolfQuacker said:

TIA
'Quacker
If you don't find what you want on vaccinespotter (which is pharmacies), here are a few more:

https://unityphr.com/campaigns/starmed/vaccine

https://covid19.wakegov.com/vaccine/

https://www.wakemed.org/patients-and-visitors/covid-19-information/covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.dukehealth.org/covid-19-update/join-waiting-list

https://www.unchealthcare.org/coronavirus/vaccines/phase-1b-covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.conehealth.com/covid-19-information/covid-19-vaccine-information/

If you don't mind my asking, is there a problem with HT? I know some people who went there and they haven't mentioned any problems, but it wasn't in Wake County.

edited to fix links

IseWolf22
WolfQuacker said:

TIA
'Quacker
Try registering with Wake county. The past week or so several people (myself included) were able to schedule appointments just a day after registering for the waitlist.
FlossyDFlynt
bigeric said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Aren't they already building a vaccinated data base? When I received my first shot, they had an appointment list, by name, date & time. They made an appointment for the second shot, again by name, date, time & location (different location). I'm sure when I go next Tuesday, they will have their list, by name, date, time & type vaccine.
It is a one of the mass vaccine locations operated by the National Guard. It was/is quite efficient, though.
I have zero doubt they are. But to me, there is a big difference in a database and having to show every single business/person I interact with proof of vaccination. I would be shocked if vaccination information doesnt fall under HIPAA laws. I realize its also a bit of a gray area, but at the same time, the grocery store doesnt need to know if I am vaccinated
packwest
US has taken this on the chin, but stories about lack of oxygen and vaccine distribution in countries like Brazil make me thankful to live in America.
ciscopack
WolfQuacker said:

TIA
'Quacker
I kept searching Franklin county and Walgreens and could not find an opening a month ago so i went here and was signed up quickly (Wake County)... got it on Sunnybrook Rd. with scheduled appointment....took about 30 minutes.......you're supposed to wait 15 minutes after the shot too (outside).....

They had about 10 people giving shots in the building and you are masked and in line for about 25 minutes......outside and inside. Lots of people working both inside and out....very organized. Take your phone with QR code you receive or print it. Lady outside scans them all.

https://www.nc.gov/covid19
PackPA2015
FlossyDFlynt said:

bigeric said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

I have zero doubt they are. But to me, there is a big difference in a database and having to show every single business/person I interact with proof of vaccination. I would be shocked if vaccination information doesnt fall under HIPAA laws. I realize its also a bit of a gray area, but at the same time, the grocery store doesnt need to know if I am vaccinated
Nothing can be required on a widespread basis, yet, until the vaccine is fully approved (not under emergency use authorization), as far as I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong). Now, vaccines or proof of them can be required in general for some functions. Think vaccines for public schools, so it is not strictly under HIPAA per se.

Obviously, I have no idea where this is going politically, but I think once we get back to that influenza-like level of transmission, any requirement would be looked upon with much scrutiny. However, things like cruises, since this was such an initial big issue, may be able to get away with it.
ciscopack
ciscopack said:

WolfQuacker said:

TIA
'Quacker
I kept searching Franklin county and Walgreens and could not find an opening a month ago so i went here and was signed up quickly (Wake County)... got it on Sunnybrook Rd. with scheduled appointment....took about 30 minutes.......you're supposed to wait 15 minutes after the shot too (outside).....

https://www.nc.gov/covid19

I saw a sign in Walmart in Zebulon that they were giving Covid-19 Vaccines....it was night when I saw the sign. I checked and many of them are.
FlossyDFlynt
PackPA2015 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

bigeric said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Nothing can be required on a widespread basis, yet, until the vaccine is fully approved (not under emergency use authorization), as far as I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong). Now, vaccines or proof of them can be required in general for some functions. Think vaccines for public schools, so it is not strictly under HIPAA per se.

Obviously, I have no idea where this is going politically, but I think once we get back to that influenza-like level of transmission, any requirement would be looked upon with much scrutiny. However, things like cruises, since this was such an initial big issue, may be able to get away with it.
It makes perfect sense to me that there will be some situations where its required to show proof of vaccination. My work has already said it will be mandatory (healthcare consulting where almost all our clients are hospitals, so it makes sense). What I am against is for pretty much every single business to have to show proof of vaccination. We havent with flu vaccination in the past, I dont see why this should be different.
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

It makes perfect sense to me that there will be some situations where its required to show proof of vaccination. My work has already said it will be mandatory (healthcare consulting where almost all our clients are hospitals, so it makes sense). What I am against is for pretty much every single business to have to show proof of vaccination. We havent with flu vaccination in the past, I dont see why this should be different.
I believe based on the numbers, the flu is much less transmissible and much less deadly. I don't think comparing it to flu vaccination requests is a 1:1.
wilmwolf
Perhaps, but it seems that based on current information the covid vaccines are quite a bit more effective than the seasonal flu vaccines.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
statefan91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I believe based on the numbers, the flu is much less transmissible and much less deadly. I don't think comparing it to flu vaccination requests is a 1:1.

It is overall much more deadly than the flu but has a different risk stratification based on age. Part of the reason we should be heavily weighting vaccines based on age or comorbidities.

For children, influenza is more deadly. There is an eventual pivot point (late teens? early 20s?) as age increases where COVID becomes more deadly and then the curve steeply increases.
First Page Last Page
Page 254 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.