Coronavirus

2,001,583 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Werewolf
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just an FYI. If you are near jacksonville, come get a shot. They have plenty and have been looking for anyone who wants one. You can search it on the starmed website.
statefan91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Just an FYI. If you are near jacksonville, come get a shot. They have plenty and have been looking for anyone who wants one. You can search it on the starmed website.
Good advice, StarMed has tons of appointments available in Mecklenburg county as well.
WolfQuacker
PackMom said:

WolfQuacker said:

I need my first shot in Wake county area. Willing to drive a bit, but not going to do HT. I don't think I have a preference on vaccine. I'm not having any luck finding openings and looking for suggestions.

TIA
'Quacker
If you don't find what you want on vaccinespotter (which is pharmacies), here are a few more:

https://unityphr.com/campaigns/starmed/vaccine

https://covid19.wakegov.com/vaccine/

https://www.wakemed.org/patients-and-visitors/covid-19-information/covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.dukehealth.org/covid-19-update/join-waiting-list

https://www.unchealthcare.org/coronavirus/vaccines/phase-1b-covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.conehealth.com/covid-19-information/covid-19-vaccine-information/

If you don't mind my asking, is there a problem with HT? I know some people who went there and they haven't mentioned any problems, but it wasn't in Wake County.

edited to fix links

Thanks all. It's a me thing re: HT. I can't explain it in a way that is rational LOL. I have the same feeling about WalMart. I'm not going to pretend it's something anyone will understand or agree with, and I'm ok with that.
ncsualum05
My county already has it posted on their website anyone 16 and older can get one now. My county as of today has shown 15% of population done. I'm getting 2nd shot next week.
PackPA2015
FlossyDFlynt said:

PackPA2015 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

bigeric said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

dogplasma said:

Its not a bad idea in theory. But it also means I would have to trust government and businesses to use my health information and not use it in some sort of nefarious way. Forgive me, but I dont trust government or businesses enough to use that information at face value.
Aren't they already building a vaccinated data base? When I received my first shot, they had an appointment list, by name, date & time. They made an appointment for the second shot, again by name, date, time & location (different location). I'm sure when I go next Tuesday, they will have their list, by name, date, time & type vaccine.
It is a one of the mass vaccine locations operated by the National Guard. It was/is quite efficient, though.
I have zero doubt they are. But to me, there is a big difference in a database and having to show every single business/person I interact with proof of vaccination. I would be shocked if vaccination information doesnt fall under HIPAA laws. I realize its also a bit of a gray area, but at the same time, the grocery store doesnt need to know if I am vaccinated
Nothing can be required on a widespread basis, yet, until the vaccine is fully approved (not under emergency use authorization), as far as I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong). Now, vaccines or proof of them can be required in general for some functions. Think vaccines for public schools, so it is not strictly under HIPAA per se.

Obviously, I have no idea where this is going politically, but I think once we get back to that influenza-like level of transmission, any requirement would be looked upon with much scrutiny. However, things like cruises, since this was such an initial big issue, may be able to get away with it.
It makes perfect sense to me that there will be some situations where its required to show proof of vaccination. My work has already said it will be mandatory (healthcare consulting where almost all our clients are hospitals, so it makes sense). What I am against is for pretty much every single business to have to show proof of vaccination. We havent with flu vaccination in the past, I dont see why this should be different.
No, I agree. Again, trying to predict political issues is a crapshoot, but I don't believe that will happen or be allowed to happen other than with very specific entities, such as healthcare employees being required to wear a mask while working if refusing the vaccine, cruises, etc.
ciscopack
The Wake Co. site has interesting data...

A Safe, Effective Vaccine

Here's what you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccine:

Scientists had a head start.

Although the COVID-19 vaccines were developed quickly, they were built upon years of work in developing vaccines for similar viruses.

No coronavirus in the vaccines.

COVID-19 vaccines imitate the infection, so our bodies think that we are infected without being infected. This creates the antibody defenses we need to fight off COVID-19 if and when the real COVID-19 virus attacks.

Thorough & successful testing.

More than 70,000 people participated in clinical trials for two vaccines to see if they are safe and effective. To date, the vaccines are nearly 95% effective in preventing serious illness and death due to COVID-19 with no safety concerns.

No major side effects.

Some people may have temporary reactions after being vaccinated, such as swelling from the injection, tiredness or feeling bad for a day or two. By February 2021, over 45 million Americans had received the vaccines without any new reports of major side effects.

COVID-19 Vaccine

Widespread usage of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines will help stop the spread of disease in our community. Everyone who wants a vaccine will eventually be able to get one for free.

Until the vaccine is more widely available, we strongly encourage you to continue practicing the 3 Ws Wear a face covering, Wash your hands and Wait six feet apart.

TheStorm
ciscopack said:

I go to a restaurant or place of business and they have multiple please distance as best as possible and wear a mask in this business on doors and windows; a blind man can see them. I go in and ALL of their workers are wearing masks. Do they want to wear them? NO ..... IT IS CALLED RESPECT!
Guess what? myself and everybody else on this thread does the exact damn thing... we just don't virtue signal about it like you do... two weeks after my final vaccination, I'm expecting that I should be allowed to get back to normal anywhere and everywhere...

rednwhitegetrite
Glasswolf
TheStorm said:

ciscopack said:

I go to a restaurant or place of business and they have multiple please distance as best as possible and wear a mask in this business on doors and windows; a blind man can see them. I go in and ALL of their workers are wearing masks. Do they want to wear them? NO ..... IT IS CALLED RESPECT!
Guess what big guy... myself and everybody else on this thread does the exact damn thing... we just don't virtue signal about it like you do... two weeks after my final vaccination, I'm expecting that I should be allowed to get back to normal anywhere and everywhere...

Now, just for old times sake... throw another one of your hissy fits for us!
Vaccine or not businesses have the right to require a mask and I'm fine with it. I've been going to my favorite watering holes for over a year now (Carolina Ale House, Sammy's, The Brickhouse and Lynnwood Grill) for 9 - 10 months. I walk in wearing a mask, tell them I'm sitting at the bar. I sit down, order and when it comes I take my mask off. I haven't missed a single day of work. I know way to many have lost jobs.
TheStorm
Well... which is it? "for over a year now" or "9-10 months"... because I can promise you that's not what you were telling this board three (3) weeks after the ACC Tournament last year... as I remember it, you were throwing yourself up against the racks of your friendly big box home improvement stores because you might have seen someone not wearing a mask (and immediately blaming it on Trump!).

"For over a year now"... who do you think you're kidding?
statefan91
Davie - I caught one of my regular podcast this morning and it featured someone you've mentioned a lot, Dr. Monica Gandhi:

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/984387395
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Davie - I caught one of my regular podcast this morning and it featured someone you've mentioned a lot, Dr. Monica Gandhi:

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/984387395
Thanks for the link. I had seen a post from her about an interview she did with NPR, but had not had time to look for it. Having the link will definitely help. I wish more in the mainstream media would look to her and others like her to balance out their coverage.

I do like her approach, given she is very pragmatic and at the same time, she has a tremendous amount of knowledge about infectious disease and vaccine effectiveness. I have followed her on Twitter for several months, starting shortly after vaccines began rolling out. She has provided a lot of good information and education on how our immune system works, particularly T-Cells. Additionally, in the past I have posted a chart she maintains on the efficacy for all of the current vaccines. I highly recommend following her, if you do not already.
Wayland
NC DHHS stealth edited their CLI surveillance report. While they identify they updated it, no where to they give justification or track changes.

I found this chart changed for the better.

Original

Updated

New CLI comes out today.
PackPA2015
That is a really odd update as you can tell it completely changes the data. Wonder what happened with that? I wish they would have said the reasoning for it.
packgrad
They've never explained their updates/revisions where situations don't look as dire as before.
WPNfamily
Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

I had COVID back in February. I get shot number one on Saturday. By mid May there is a zero % chance I wear a masks anywhere. People can look at me funny all they want. Not doing it.
I am getting my shot (J&J) on Saturday as well. I am going to a clinic in Winston-Salem, since I will be in town to attend my son's second practice/scrimmage of the Spring. I plan to take it easy on Sunday if I have any side effects. Looking forward to having the protection of a vaccine, since it is more effective in protecting me than a mask.
I found out today I am getting J&J also. I am pumped I only need to do this once. The stuff in Colorado has my wife worried now. I am going regardless! If the site is still seeing people, then jab me!
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

I had COVID back in February. I get shot number one on Saturday. By mid May there is a zero % chance I wear a masks anywhere. People can look at me funny all they want. Not doing it.
I am getting my shot (J&J) on Saturday as well. I am going to a clinic in Winston-Salem, since I will be in town to attend my son's second practice/scrimmage of the Spring. I plan to take it easy on Sunday if I have any side effects. Looking forward to having the protection of a vaccine, since it is more effective in protecting me than a mask.
I found out today I am getting J&J also. I am pumped I only need to do this once. The stuff in Colorado has my wife worried now. I am going regardless! If the site is still seeing people, then jab me!
I am not really concerned at this point. My son got the J&J vaccine last Tuesday at his university and had fairly standard symptoms (chills, fever, headache) for about 12 hours. Symptoms hit around 12 hours after vaccination (9pm) and last during the night. He felt well enough in the morning (7:00am) to go to football practice. A couple of his teammates had the exact same symptoms, but theirs hit later, since they got their vaccinations in the later afternoon on the same day as my son.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

That is a really odd update as you can tell it completely changes the data. Wonder what happened with that? I wish they would have said the reasoning for it.
I totally get mistakes happen.

But as someone who works with documentation, (for me) once a document is released, any subsequent changes need to be identified with a reason for change. Not saying you need full on track changes, but at least a what and why.
PackPA2015
Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

I totally get mistakes happen.

But as someone who works with documentation, (for me) once a document is released, any subsequent changes need to be identified with a reason for change. Not saying you need full on track changes, but at least a what and why.
I totally agree. Really, really odd. It does not help their credibility for sure.
Wayland
New CLI is out. Just by raw number of admits, it looks like 65+ is now BELOW both 50-64 and 25-49.

JamesJohnson
Staff
Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

I am not really concerned at this point. My son got the J&J vaccine last Tuesday at his university and had fairly standard symptoms (chills, fever, headache) for about 12 hours. Symptoms hit around 12 hours after vaccination (9pm) and last during the night. He felt well enough in the morning (7:00am) to go to football practice. A couple of his teammates had the exact same symptoms, but theirs hit later, since they got their vaccinations in the later afternoon on the same day as my son.

Got the second jab yesterday. Woke up feeling like I wanted to sleep all day. About halfway through practice when the temperature stating rising it hit me. Came home got a nice nap. Now it feels about like a hangover.
statefan91
Got my second Moderna shot earlier today
JasonNCSU
Got my first Moderna shot today... So far no soreness or side effects... Hoping it stays that way. Preparing myself for what round 2 has to offer...
tuffy1006
got the first one easter sunday and dont feel anything....I never feel anything with flu shots either

2nd one is April 26th
dogplasma
Got J&J early this morning. The initial jab in the shoulder hurt more than expected - like a bee sting (for about a minute) and not like flu shots I'm used to. Was fine for about ten hours then it kicked my butt for the next five. Fever, chills, aches. Now, suddenly, I'm wide awake and feel fine.
packgrad
Maybe your arm was tense when they put it in. I didn't even feel either if mine. Now, my shoulder was sore after, but the shot was zero pain.
dogplasma
That's what I assume, too, but the nurse told me to relax before the shot and I did. I wasn't expecting to feel anything, so I wasn't nervous at all, but that MFer hurt, lol. It's also likely that I'm just a big wuss.

Note: My friend ahead of me in line said he didn't feel much of anything. Also, his wife had previously gotten the J&J vaccine and had no side effects at all. So, the dogplasma-is-a-wuss theory has got some real merit. No one should think their experience will be like mine. It was certainly worth it.
TheStorm
My primary care provider makes me submit bloodwork every three months like clockwork... after a while you just learn to ignore it (carry on a conversation while not looking at the needle being jabbed into you)... I couldn't tell, I'd even been given a shot 3 minutes after I received mine. Pfizer dose 1. #2 scheduled for 4/20.
Daviewolf83
Here is my rant for today. Some people making policy in this nation are really, really stupid. I will say it again:

Outside >>>>>>>>> Inside

When ever possible, get outside and enjoy yourself. If you need to meet with other people who might not be vaccinated, do so outside. We should be encouraging people to visit outdoor parks, not limiting participation at parks. By mid to late June, over 50% of the population will have received a dose of the vaccines and likely will be fully vaccinated. If you do not feel safe, don't go. Let people make their own determination of risk.

TheStorm
Daviewolf83 said:

Here is my rant for today. Some people making policy in this nation are really, really stupid. I will say it again:

Outside >>>>>>>>> Inside

When ever possible, get outside and enjoy yourself. If you need to meet with other people who might not be vaccinated, do so outside. We should be encouraging people to visit outdoor parks, not limiting participation at parks. By mid to late June, over 50% of the population will have received a dose of the vaccines and likely will be fully vaccinated. If you do not feel safe, don't go. Let people make their own determination of risk.

I don't know what is wrong with some people... seems like I've been outside since last April.

We have some extremely serious political "pussiness" going on in this country right now... and it's becoming overly sickening!
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Outside >>>>>>>>> Inside

There is basically zero COVID risk by being outside in a National Park, regardless of community spread.

If they have crowd management issues, that is one thing, but to blame COVID is lame.

During my trip in the fall, Zion was a zoo. Access to the main canyon is limited some by shuttle since you can't drive up it during parts of the year, but anyone who wanted to walk or bike could still get in. Even with limited shuttle access, it was by far the most crowded park we went to.

I believe at times Arches and Canyonlands (Island in the Sky district) both restricted cars through the gates at times (more due to lack of parking than anything else). But those seemed to be later in the day, no issues if you were there to start the day. Didn't really have any other issues at any national parks or monuments.

kmb717
dogplasma said:

Got J&J early this morning. The initial jab in the shoulder hurt more than expected - like a bee sting (for about a minute) and not like flu shots I'm used to. Was fine for about ten hours then it kicked my butt for the next five. Fever, chills, aches. Now, suddenly, I'm wide awake and feel fine.
I had a very similar experience with my J&J. Got it around 9 AM on Wednesday morning. Felt completely fine until 7:30 Wednesday night. Had the chills, aches, and was a little nauseous throughout out the night. The worst symptom by far though for me was having the worst headache I've ever had in my life that lasted until about Noon yesterday. Felt completely fine by around 3 yesterday.
dogplasma
Maybe bears carry Covid. Anyone eaten by a bear would be at significantly higher risk of infection.
PackMom
Hope those with side effects feel better soon!
WolfQuacker
I had Covid pretty bad in March 2020 - 13 days of 102ish fever.

First shot of Moderna yesterday at 2:00. Shot didn't hurt in the least. Little tiny sting a few mins after. But by 6:00 I felt like I'd been punched by Kimbo Slice. Can barely lift it above horizontal today.

Some myalgia and loopiness which progressing as we get further into the day. No fever as of yet and no headache. Feeling tired, but that's been the norm since Covid if I'm being honest.
First Page Last Page
Page 255 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.