Coronavirus

2,007,096 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
SSPack said:

You can buy mask spacers from Amazon that fit inside your mask and keep you from sucking the mask in when breathing heavily on the treadmill. Running with a mask still sucks but this at least makes it suck a little less. I've also heard the Under Armour sports masks coupled with the mask spacers are the way to go. I've ordered one and will try it out when it arrives next week.
Let us know what you think of that mask. Might be a consideration.
wilmwolf
I got one of the UA masks. It's comfortable. I worry about the parts that go over my ears, they are very thin and seem like they might not hold up great, but that remains to be seen. I don't have one of the mask spacers, that seems like it would be even more uncomfortable to me, but I can't say.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
No way I'm running outside by myself with a mask on. Dumber than wearing one in my car driving around by myself.
metcalfmafia
Was so excited to head to Village Draft House for a beer yesterday after a rough day at work.

Didn't realize you can't take your mask off at the table except when you're "actively" eating or drinking. Is this a new rule implemented over the holiday?
PackMom
Mormad said:

No way I'm running outside by myself with a mask on. Dumber than wearing one in my car driving around by myself.
Since I go to walk about 6 am, I don't see too many other people out then. I have been known to drive from physical therapy to the grocery store without taking my mask off in between. Mine are sufficiently comfortable that sometimes I don't think about it until I get home and see the mask bag hanging on the washer.
910wolf
Civilized said:

910wolf said:

I've heard some rumors circling that the Governor's next order will be a 9:00 PM curfew

There's no way.

That's like a bad game of telephone.

I could see the governor mandating bars and restaurants close by 10 or something but no way is it a blanket curfew.
Sure hope it's not true, it would be absolutely idiotic and an abuse of power. This came from a Country Club president and restaurant owner who were told it was being considered if numbers didn't turn around.
Daviewolf83
910wolf said:

Civilized said:

910wolf said:

I've heard some rumors circling that the Governor's next order will be a 9:00 PM curfew

There's no way.

That's like a bad game of telephone.

I could see the governor mandating bars and restaurants close by 10 or something but no way is it a blanket curfew.
Sure hope it's not true, it would be absolutely idiotic and an abuse of power. This came from a Country Club president and restaurant owner who were told it was being considered if numbers didn't turn around.
We should know in less than an hour. Cooper is giving a press conference on Covid at 3pm today.
Daviewolf83
metcalfmafia said:

Was so excited to head to Village Draft House for a beer yesterday after a rough day at work.

Didn't realize you can't take your mask off at the table except when you're "actively" eating or drinking. Is this a new rule implemented over the holiday?
I believe this is correct. Unless actively eating or drinking, your mask must be worn in a restaurant. The protocols change so much and are so different in each state, it is hard to keep up sometimes. It is listed as exception C in the latest mask order from 11/23. The mask order states the following:

Certain businesses are required to have patrons and employees wear face coverings whether they are inside or outside unless an exception applies. Specific occupational settings, including health care settings, should continue to follow existing protocols and require surgical or procedure masks or N95 respirators, as indicated. These businesses must follow the requirements for face coverings as described in Executive Order 147. These businesses, to the extent they are open are:

Retail Businesses;
Restaurants
Personal Care, Grooming, and Tattoo Businesses;
Child Care Facilities, Day Camps, and Overnight Camps;
Gyms, Exercise Facilities, and Fitness Facilities,
State Government Cabinet Agencies;
Transportation;
High-Density Occupational Settings Where Social Distancing is Difficult, including manufacturing settings, construction sites, and migrant farm or other farmsettings;
Meat or Poultry Processing Plants (new surgical mask requirement);
Long Term Care Facilities (new surgical mask requirement);
Other Health Care Settings (ongoing adherence to CDC guidance) Exceptions.

Face Coverings do not need to be worn by an individual, worker, customer, or patron in public places and business settings who:

a. Has a medical or behavioral condition or disability and cannot wear a face covering (including, but not limited to, any person who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious or incapacitated, or is otherwise unable to put on or remove the face covering without assistance); Requirements for the Use of Face Coverings and Masks 3 November 23, 2020 NC DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
b. Is under five (5) years of age (please see StrongSchoolNC Public Health Toolkit school guidance for requirement for requirements for K-12 schoolsettings);
c. Is actively eating or drinking;
d. Is swimming;
e. Is seeking to communicate with someone with hearing loss in a way that requires the mouth to be visible;
. Is giving a speech for a broadcast or to an audience;
g. Is working at home or alone in a vehicle;
h. Is temporarily removing his or her Face Covering to secure government or medical services or for identification purposes;
i. Would be at risk from wearing a Face Covering at work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines;
j. Has found that his or her Face Covering is impeding visibility to operate equipment or a vehicle; or
k. Is a child whose parent, guardian, or responsible person has been unable to place the Face Covering safely on the child's face.
l. Children under two (2) years of age should not wear a face covering.
m. Is (1) a professional or collegiate athlete that is strenuously exercising or recovering from exercise and (2) training for or participating in a sport that is under the oversight of a league, association, or other organizer that required teams and players to follow a protocol for reducing risk from COVID-19
redsteel33
Just got the email - masks required for soccer* while playing...crazy.

(* - NCYSA Club Youth Soccer)
Daviewolf83
redsteel33 said:

Just got the email - masks required for soccer while playing...crazy.
I assume you are talking about high school sanctioned sports. I had heard the state association had passed a rule saying masks had to be worn for all sports. I know it does not apply for college sports - yet.
redsteel33
Daviewolf83 said:

redsteel33 said:

Just got the email - masks required for soccer while playing...crazy.
I assume you are talking about high school sanctioned sports. I had heard the state association had passed a rule saying masks had to be worn for all sports. I know it does not apply for college sports - yet.

Club youth soccer.
Sorry - should have made that clear in the original post.

Perhaps just a last resort before they shut it down...
SSPack
I use the mask spacer with a disposable mask and to be honest it's not uncomfortable.
ciscopack
Some public health researchers predict that the death toll by March could be close to twice the 250,000 figure that the nation surpassed only last week
PossumJenkins
I mean...they've really nailed these "predictions" so far...so no one hold their breath. Also, a mask on a child playing soccer outdoors is actually more dangerous than the Coronavirus is to that child i would think.
TheStorm
SSPack said:

I use the mask spacer with a disposable mask and to be honest it's not uncomfortable.
Have you had your mask tested yet to see if the spacers might be opening any degree of small gaps along the sides that are letting free-flowing air in?

Don't worry. That will be next.
Colonel Armstrong
Another lie from Cooper and Cohen

Mormad
PackMom said:

Mormad said:

Since I go to walk about 6 am, I don't see too many other people out then. I have been known to drive from physical therapy to the grocery store without taking my mask off in between. Mine are sufficiently comfortable that sometimes I don't think about it until I get home and see the mask bag hanging on the washer.

Haha, i have to! You're the best, PackMom!
Mormad
PossumJenkins said:

I mean...they've really nailed these "predictions" so far...so no one hold their breath. Also, a mask on a child playing soccer outdoors is actually more dangerous than the Coronavirus is to that child i would think.

Yup, just silly.
Mormad
On initial thought, i think the whole "actively eating or drinking" is just hogwash.

But, given the fact that full service restaurants are known to be at risk places and we don't know the covid status of indoor patrons, that stupid rule or recommendation makes some sense i guess. I know this will go over like a lead balloon with many people and with Alex Berenson, but if I'm out eating with my fam and some dude with covid he's not aware of is at the table next to us, I'd be glad he had to wear his mask most of the time he's sitting there unless he eats like my 3yo mutt. I'm just dumb enough to believe that such nonsense would decrease the risk to my fam, maybe moreso than the magical 6 ft. But having to do so with my mask will keep me out of restaurants moreso than the risk of contracting covid. Ain't that some sht lol.
packgrad
Mormad said:

On initial thought, i think the whole "actively eating or drinking" is just hogwash.

But, given the fact that full service restaurants are known to be at risk places and we don't know the covid status of indoor patrons, that stupid rule or recommendation makes some sense i guess. I know this will go over like a lead balloon with many people and with Alex Berenson, but if I'm out eating with my fam and some dude with covid he's not aware of is at the table next to us, I'd be glad he had to wear his mask most of the time he's sitting there unless he eats like my 3yo mutt. I'm just dumb enough to believe that such nonsense would decrease the risk to my fam, maybe moreso than the magical 6 ft. But having to do so with my mask will keep me out of restaurants moreso than the risk of contracting covid. Ain't that some sht lol.

I don't think a lot of restaurants are going to enforce it. I expect breweries and local top chef restaurants to comply. I do not expect the smaller ethnic restaurants my wife and I dine in to though (Korean, Indian, and Mexican). The owner of my favorite Korean spot almost cries every time she sees us come in because her restaurant is suffering so much under these decrees.
Mormad
Korean? Dang that sounds good. Where?
packgrad
Mormad said:

Are you in the triangle? If so, Vit Goal Tofu in the 54/55 area in Durham near RTP. Love the place. Give it a try if you ever go out. They do space tables where they let people sit. Unfortunately they haven't had enough traffic for it to matter lately.
SSPack
Nothing would surprise me at this point. Someone mentioned youth soccer a few posts up...we got the email saying that spectators must wear a mask. Never Mind the fact that you are outdoors and socially distanced.
wolfman18
packgrad said:

Mormad said:

Are you in the triangle? If so, Vit Goal Tofu in the 54/55 area in Durham near RTP. Love the place. Give it a try if you ever go out. They do space tables where they let people sit. Unfortunately they haven't had enough traffic for it to matter lately.
One of my customers. Great people and great food.
TheStorm
Are any of the NFL or NCAAF players testing positive, actually getting "sick"? Other than the Clemson DT with symptoms, I can't seem to remember the media giving any specific examples.

Obviously, I would certainly expect that there are others, but I just wonder why we aren't getting "names".
Civilized
packgrad said:

Mormad said:

Will have to try this. Haven't had Korean in years but love it and used to frequently hit a spot near 54/Maynard in Cary when I worked on that side of town.
wilmwolf
I wonder if there are any long term complications related to the wearing of masks that will ever get studied. Specifically, I have a bunch of masks, and I don't know where most of them were manufactured or what exactly they are made of. The aforementioned Under Armour mask is the only one made by a reputable company. At the beginning of this, I bought whatever I could find because I needed it to be able to continue to work. Bulk paper masks with no information attached at all. Weird off brand nitrile gloves. I know enough people in manufacturing who have been to some of the countries that normally make these kinds of things to make me skeptical that these things that are touching my skin and I'm breathing through all day may not be made up to the same standards as we would expect our medical supplies to be. I'll continue to do what I need to do to be able to work and live, and roll the dice that I'm not breathing some sort of hazardous off gas or something. It's just something that has crossed my mind more than once as an unintended risk.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
GuerrillaPack
addresses covid:

Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

The independent review board that is supposed to approve the vaccine for the US is to meet on 12/10 and if approved (most expect it to be approved some day), the US should start to see vaccines on 12/12 to 12/14. I am not sure why the independent board in the US is not meeting until 12/10, but it is possible they are using the period between the time the application was filed and 12/10 to review all of the data.

While the Pfizer vaccine is important, the requirements to keep it super cold will limit where it can be used. For this reason, I am more interested in the Moderna vaccine and getting it approved. You will likely see the Pfizer vaccine used in more urban areas with large medical centers that have the facilities to keep the vaccine at the proper temperatures. The Moderna vaccine does need to be kept cold, but does not need to be kept super cold (requires refrigerator level temperatures) and for this reason, the Moderna vaccine has the potential to be used in more rural areas of the country.

One of the keys will be getting people to accept being vaccinated, once the vaccines become more readily available in the Spring and Summer. The most recent poll I saw, showed less than 60% of people would get the vaccine when it becomes available. I think there are people who refuse to take any vaccine and this contributes to some of the results. I also think there are people who really do not understand how vaccine development works and are afraid of a vaccine that was developed so rapidly.

Personally, I will have no issues getting vaccinated. I have read the science behind these vaccines and have read about the side-effects. I have not seen anything that gives me pause in taking any of the vaccines we will have available. The approval process is not being rushed and the independent review board is made up of scientist that have no political or corporate leanings. They are all about the science.
statefan91
I have seen that the delay is because UK does rolling reviews and has been reviewing information, whereas US required a full document dump and then time to review.

I'm the same way, I'm ready to be vaccinated ASAP. I wanted to sign up for trials but my wife wouldn't let me ha.
ciscopack
This young man may be on here? I hope he doesn't mind me posting his Twitter thoughts.

I won't look for it but his wife and someone kin to her or him went shopping for a birthday present and the kin had Covid-19 without any symptoms at that time. He's been at Rex the last 3 days. Best of luck to John getting much better soon!
Mormad
Hearing the pfizer vaccine may be available for our hospital soon after 12/10. Seems most who talk about it will opt in, some will wait for the second round.
Civilized
Mormad said:

Hearing the pfizer vaccine may be available for our hospital soon after 12/10. Seems most who talk about it will opt in, some will wait for the second round.

Yeah I'm not worried (yet) about some Americans saying they won't take the vaccine.

I have a strong feeling the proportion that will take it goes up once they see tens of millions of people taking it with no side effects.
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

Yeah I'm not worried (yet) about some Americans saying they won't take the vaccine.

I have a strong feeling the proportion that will take it goes up once they see tens of millions of people taking it with no side effects.

I'm in that bucket. I wouldn't want to be in the first round, but I'm also very low risk and wouldn't qualify for it anyways.
But if all goes well, and I expect it will, I'll get it when it's my turn.
First Page Last Page
Page 186 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.