Coronavirus

1,981,009 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today appears to be day NCDHHS finally caught up from the holidays for Covid-19 death reports in NC. Below is a graph showing the number of deaths reported today (+82), represented on the day the death actually occurred and not the day they were reported. Blue bars represent PCR tested deaths and orange represents Antigen tested deaths.

statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

Mormad said:

Hearing the pfizer vaccine may be available for our hospital soon after 12/10. Seems most who talk about it will opt in, some will wait for the second round.

Yeah I'm not worried (yet) about some Americans saying they won't take the vaccine.

I have a strong feeling the proportion that will take it goes up once they see tens of millions of people taking it with no side effects.

I'm in that bucket. I wouldn't want to be in the first round, but I'm also very low risk and wouldn't qualify for it anyways.
But if all goes well, and I expect it will, I'll get it when it's my turn.
Bring it on
Daviewolf83
I know gyms were a discussion yesterday, but I just saw the following tweet regarding a gym in North Raleigh. Apparently, 40 cases have been linked to the gym.

ciscopack
I was just talking to my cousin about my brother going to play golf at NMB. She has a house in North Myrtle and said the family in front of her; all 4 people have Covid - 19.
packgrad
Seems like if you can just stay away from people Cisco knows you'll be fine.
WPNfamily
I can not wait to get vaccinated. I have been the biggest anti masker of them all. Still am. But I would be the first for the vaccine if possible. Covid is real and masks don't work. But gimmie that needle!
packgrad
WPNfamily said:

I can not wait to get vaccinated. I have been the biggest anti masker of them all. Still am. But I would be the first for the vaccine if possible. Covid is real and masks don't work. But gimmie that needle!

Whatever we can do to stop destroying small businesses I'm all for. Sign me up as well.
CLA327
I've mentioned before that my wife is a nurse consultant with NCDHHS. She read a first hand report about the Moderna vaccine trials and I pass it along here.....

Phase I trial:
Recall that Phase I is the safety trial where they are collecting data on initial dosing, safety, whether the vaccine shows signs of doing what they hope it will, and how the body processes the vaccine.
45 healthy 18-55 years old were placed into 3 different dosing categories (25, 100, and 250 mcg) with 2 doses given 28 days apart. 3 participants did not receive the 2nddose: 1 developed hives 5 days after the first injection and 2 others were in isolation due to a COVID exposure after the first shot. There were no fevers reported after the first dose in any group, but fevers were reported after the second dose in the 100 mcg (6/15, 40%) and 250 mcg (8/14, 57%) groups. In addition, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue, chills, and pain and swelling at the injection site were reported. No SARS-COV2 antibodies were detected in any trial participant before the first injection. SARS-COV2 antibodies were detected in half of participants after the first injection and in all participants after the second injection. The lowest immune response was seen in 25 mcg group. Similar immune responses were noted in the 100 and 250 mcg groups. This study showed us that it is important to receive both doses as half of people did not develop any detectable immune response after the first dose. It also showed that the higher dose 250-mcg regimen does not confer additional protection over the 100-mcg regimen, but does likely cause more fevers and other symptoms. There were no major adverse events. This is the kind of data they are looking for in Phase I trials to guide next steps. Additionally, if there are major safety concerns then investigation into the drug may stop here forever.

Here is the reference if you want to read for yourself:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483

While my wife did not develop any symptoms after either shot, this data is very consistent with my personal experience in the Phase III Moderna trial. After the first shot my arm hurt a little bit for about a day and that was all. About 12 hours after the second shot I woke up with chills and a mild fever. I also had some body aches, fatigue, and pain at the injection site. All in all, it was like a minor case of "man flu." The symptoms were mostly alleviated with OTC meds and lasted a little under a day before I felt fine again. The Phase 1a trial suggests that a decent number of people will experience some symptoms, but the rates may change once data is available on more people. I want to be clear; the vaccine DID NOT GIVE ME COVID. It generated an immune response in my body to the Spike protein that was produced. Your immune response and your body fighting off infection is what makes you feel so bad when you are sick. I have since received an antibody test that confirmed that I have COVID19 antibodies against the Spike protein and I would absolutely do it all again, if needed. The available trial data shows that the second shot is very important so the possibility of these types of symptoms needs to be factored in to people's decisions around timing the second shot. It would not have been fun to try and work that next day, but then again, I am a man and we are rarely seen out of bed with any type of symptoms. Pfizer/BioNTech's mRNA vaccine data shows a similar side effect profile and I will detail that in another post.

While the investigator team is blinded to group allotment, it is hard to completely blind the treatment group as to whether they have received vaccine or placebo due to the symptoms that may be produced by the vaccine. It was pretty clear that I had received something. It also seemed likely that my wife was in the placebo arm as she never even developed so much as arm soreness. To me, that makes the recently reported Phase III 95% efficacy data for preventing symptomatic COVID19 disease potentially even more impressive because I feel like, if anything, people would perhaps take on riskier behaviors if they believe they have been vaccinated, resulting in more potential exposures in that group. This is obviously speculative.

Phase 2a trial:
This trial included 600 healthy participants, but the data has not been publicly published as of yet. Recall that in Phase 2 trials the goal is assess for safety, dosing, and development of an immune response. The trial was randomized, blinded, and placebo controlled. Participants were first subdivided by age: 18-55 and 55+. Each age group was then split further by being randomized into either a vaccine or placebo group of either a 50 mcg or 100 mcg dose arm. For example, a 58-year old would be randomized to either the 50 mcg or 100 mcg arm and then randomly receive 2 of those vaccine doses or 2 shots of saline (salt water) 28 days apart.

You can read about the trial design here: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fclinicaltrials.gov%2Fct2%2Fshow%2FNCT04405076%3Fterm%3Dmoderna%26cond%3Dcovid-19%26draw%3D2%26fbclid%3DIwAR241MNOZVzgWqSpH9Uqn3U6RWbJddergG_X648wJ8xyG8L1Vt2dH6qcWj8&h=AT0KFD1JDcrvvMh1MhiPUSNlNPZO9D9fKpfQYAR7uTJ5G7uv3cS5Oxwq8efa8sQhiFo_vP0sfRC2LR7L4zfhl0op5KFVZEAJ64rtz2wOQt_RBJLX2C41MQ0Q7A2F2P-aVK5o&__tn__=-UK-y-R&c[0" class="postlink " target="_blank">=AT1-U-5q1Lgc-Ssfr4PvIL304XBZ4JI1ikCiqOdBl0uTY_WPrmrUOxtNbvVBAjLC2kgnZUBRKcifdnwG5EzlaeGLcPaPm5nr7tfENgrJICTUPWHEMIY-nCCOY0QD2eRNX613cGut0YWI6VofJ06eqslGQWUDtLDIIP3f7dyorL1qZ7bY2nlRVUBVtOf6-kBqmqAt5IyPpaxUVOw]https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04405076...

Based upon the initial Phase I trial results, they dropped the 250-mcg dose because it caused more adverse effects while not conferring additional immune protection. They also added a 50-mcg dose to see if this would offer similar benefit with even fewer side effects in comparison to the 100-mcg group.
The Phase 3 trial included 30k participants. The researchers chose the 100-mcg dose so one can infer that in the Phase 2a trial the 50-mcg dose did not produce the immune response for which they had hoped. Participants were randomized to either receive 2 x 100 mcg doses or 2 saline placebo shots spaced ~28 days apart. During interim analysis, the following results were reported in a press release: 90 cases of symptomatic COVID19 occurred in the placebo group compared 5 cases in the treatment group. 11 cases of severe COVID19 occurred and were all in the placebo group. There were no significant safety events reported and the rates of side effects reported after the second dose included fatigue (9.7%), myalgia (8.9%), arthralgia (5.2%), headache (4.5%), pain (4.1%) and redness at the injection site (2.0%). Fever data was not reported and it is important to note that this was simply a press release that has not been peer-reviewed and that the full data has not been made publicly available at this point.

You can read the press release here: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Finvestors.modernatx.com%2Fnews-releases%2Fnews-release-details%2Fmodernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR15lwxEOxa8c6TYdUwL_cYlTFVjk-qYhysJqREUZdOM3w023JgOjvON1b4&h=AT0A56qqnUtLd8tgCOUInKPnuqz4FnEONKZ4qeTeUh3F5mR5BpAVr9zkD01q6Mb_P7n5jKwbrRPsgRad8uaYLnUOWDN8OZxHwTTa9Z_Mi9rSZgj6vQpHo_UF75OoeIADGydd&__tn__=-UK-y-R&c[0" class="postlink " target="_blank">=AT1-U-5q1Lgc-Ssfr4PvIL304XBZ4JI1ikCiqOdBl0uTY_WPrmrUOxtNbvVBAjLC2kgnZUBRKcifdnwG5EzlaeGLcPaPm5nr7tfENgrJICTUPWHEMIY-nCCOY0QD2eRNX613cGut0YWI6VofJ06eqslGQWUDtLDIIP3f7dyorL1qZ7bY2nlRVUBVtOf6-kBqmqAt5IyPpaxUVOw]https://investors.modernatx.com/.../modernas-covid-19...

As Moderna is applying for EUA, the FDA will be reviewing all of the raw trial data on safety, adverse effects, immunogenicity, and efficacy, in order to make an assessment on whether the vaccine appears efficacious and safe enough to begin administering to additional people outside of a controlled trial setting. The European Union is undertaking a similar process so there will at least be two large, well-established regulatory bodies reviewing this data. These decisions are tough and the timeline has to be balanced against the known threat from COVID19. The FDA timeline of review appears to be about 2 weeks from application/data receipt. My next post will be about the Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine, which appears to be the initial vaccine offering that will be headed to North Carolina. I sure hope we have some super freezers on standby.
As I have stated in earlier posts: Questions, concerns, and productive discussion are welcome; anti-vaxxer propaganda is not.

Disclaimers: I have no financial conflicts of interest relevant to this topic, other than receiving a small stipend to be a Moderna trial participant like all of the other vaccine trial participants. My real conflict related to this topic is that I may have confirmation bias due to a desire for these vaccines to be safe and to work so that I, along with the rest of my colleagues, can hopefully stop seeing people die from or be physically, emotionally, and financially wrecked by COVID19. These posts are for educational purposes and are reflective of my own interpretation of the medical and scientific literature at this time. Science, by definition, changes with time so these views may change, as well. The views expressed are not representative of the views of my employer and should also not be considered individual medical advice. If you have concerns, you should discuss further with your healthcare clinician.
Daviewolf83

CLA327 - Thanks for posting this information. It is much appreciated. With regards to the Pfizer vaccine, it was approved in the UK today and they can now begin distribution and vaccinations. I am optimistic it will be approved in the US next week and vaccinations will begin a couple of days later. While it will take months to begin reaching broad distribution in the US, I am hopeful the initial doses will help reduce deaths in the population that is currently contributing to over half of the daily deaths in NC - congregate facilities and nursing homes.

It was interesting to learn tonight that many of the large hospitals in the area are NOT requiring their staff to get vaccinated. This applies to UNC Hospitals and Wake Hospitals. I was surprised, since they said staff in these facilities are required to be vaccinated for the yearly flu.
ciscopack
packgrad said:

Seems like if you can just stay away from people Cisco knows you'll be fine.
Not worried about it at all....no different than any other flu...media hype...

6,000 will die from lightning strikes this year.

Meanwhile...22,000 have already died from the regular flu in the U.S. this 2019-2020 flu season. With 36 million infected, and 370,000 hospitalizations.

No. I'm living my life just as I was before this ridiculous hysteria over nothing. Are you staying at home?

Yes, the biggest threat in all of this is not some virus that is on the level of the regular flu. It's the draconian, hysterical, over-the-top reactions that are being taken by businesses, governments, etc.

~ 35,000 people die in car accidents every year.

Israeli Nobel Laureate: Coronavirus spread is slowing
Michael Levitt praised Israel for its preventative measures. He said most people are naturally immune, and that since the infection rate in China is slowing down, "the end of the pandemic is near."
By DONNA RACHEL EDMUNDS
MARCH 20, 2020 12:09

Reporter asks if someone in White House is calling it Kung Flu? Important question.

Lots of Twatter speculation a cure has been found. Successful testing in China and France. Malaria drug with z pack.

It's absolutely being used to push a totalitarian agenda. People have been warning for years that scenarios such as this would be used to declare martial law and advance other elements of the elite agenda for a "New World Order".

Again. 4 people in the hospital in NC currently. I know it's worse in other areas. I'm just not sure how that overwhelms the healthcare system

Man, the cynical, conspiracy theory, black helicopter side of me can't help but at least ponder the possibility this entire virus, ensuing chaos and impending economic collapse was concocted in a Chinese government office somewhere.

Ron Paul is calling the coronavirus threat a hoax:

Our economy is wrecked now. We seem to be doing all we can do to continue to destroy it.

Fearing coronavirus, Arizona man dies after taking a form of chloroquine used to treat aquariums

Trump said today he wasn't the economy opened back up by Easter. That's still 3 weeks away. How that affects the economy is going to be interesting to say the least. (wants)

UK epidemiologist believes half of UK population already has virus and has begun developing herd immunity.

In NC, more people have died from the regular flu in March than Coronavirus.

Ohhhh okay so this is a media conspiracy designed to boost ratings of The Bachelor. Got it. Makes total sense.

April -

Me, I'm small business, as is my brother and most friends. I've visited many many businesses and restaurants in NC and SC since last February and I own 99.99% virus masks and wear them in those businesses and I visit friends and family without masks....try not to hang too close. Lost probably $65,000 this year and did not apply for loans or cash any checks for no service rendered....none. I'm good and ready for the vaccine shot too. I don't like to read but I know of past history.....Spanish flu, bubonic plague, black death and such.
packgrad
More do as I say not as I do Covid leadership.

ciscopack
I social distance as best as possible, wash my hands often and 99.999% times to wear good quality masks in general public (missed ~3 in summer when masks were missing), take vitamins inc. vitamin D, go outside often and I am of an older age and too much weight

Real fruity came later than April 1...

Canada yesterday - 114 x 8.7 = 1006 US - 2777; it's colder in Canada

wartime President.
wilmwolf
My God, what the hell does any of that mean? You are the Yin to GP's Yang.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

My God, what the hell does any of that mean? You are the Yin to GP's Yang.

That's some more roboheel bot stuff right there for sure.
Steve Williams
Staff
ciscopack said:

I social distance as best as possible, wash my hands often and 99.999% times to wear good quality masks in general public (missed ~3 in summer when masks were missing), take vitamins inc. vitamin D, go outside often and I am of an older age and too much weight

wartime President.
cisco- that's some cryptic stuff right there bro. You gotta break it down for us simple folk.
WarrenPeace
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm in quarantine now and damn if this ain't ridiculous. Had a small fever, a couple days of body aches, and lost taste for a couple days. Flu was much worse a couple years ago when I had that.
statefan91
ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

ciscopack said:

wartime President.
cisco- that's some cryptic stuff right there bro. You gotta break it down for us simple folk.
Sure....I used to skip things when I was requested to solve math problems on the chalk boards; use up 4 chalk boards and skipped some of the process.

My previous post " to that one" had some chosen Covid-19 posts in this thread from the start to April 1; cisco posted twice in this thread's first 35 pages. We have 8.7 times the population of Canada and those numbers (114 and 2777 were deaths yesterday in Canada and US from Covid-19). Donald Trump who has not met with the Covid Task Force in 5.5 months once mentioned he was a "wartime President" on Covid-19. Supposedly he is routinely briefed? I think he's scheduled a rally in Georgia this weekend, if anyone wants to attend?

May 2018 - The Administration disbands the White House pandemic response team.

January 22 - "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine."

January 24 - Trump praises China's handling of the coronavirus: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

January 28 - "This will be the biggest national security threat you face in your presidency...This is going to be the roughest thing you face" Trump's National Security Advisor to Trump

February 2 - "We pretty much shut it down coming in from China."

February 7 - "It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flu... This is deadly stuff" [Trump in a private taped interview with Bob Woodward, made public September 9]

February 10 - "Looks like by April, you know in theory when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away."

Timeline of Trump's Coronavirus Responses

He's still the leader of the United States of America for another 48 days. Work hard to help us Mr. President.

Federal Reserve Chairman Powell says businesses may need more help than a vaccine to recover when he said congress should keep the $455 billion in the Cares Act "as a backstop for our still strained and vulnerable economy." He said small businesses may struggle the next few months and they may need help to get to the light at the end of the tunnel. Grants may be needed.

acslater1344
WarrenPeace said:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm in quarantine now and damn if this ain't ridiculous. Had a small fever, a couple days of body aches, and lost taste for a couple days. Flu was much worse a couple years ago when I had that.

Similar experience here back in June.

Of course, I've made it 33 years without ever catching the flu, but didn't make it 3 months without catching covid. That's the big difference. Contagious as all hell.
Civilized
WarrenPeace said:

Sorry to hear this! Very glad the symptoms seem pretty mild...
TheStorm
statefan91 said:

SCIENCE!
metcalfmafia
wilmwolf
I'm sure that will be much more effective than all of the mask mandates that are currently in place.
metcalfmafia
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm sure that will be much more effective than all of the mask mandates that are currently in place.
Exactly. Some will follow and some won't.
redsteel33
ncsualum05
metcalfmafia said:

Our leaders never cease to amaze me. Let's put in even MORE mask mandates. Let's all wear the mask harder b/c we aren't wearing it hard enough! Put on 2 masks! If we wore the mask better the virus will go away!

*********I can't believe this guy might be president.
metcalfmafia
People not wearing masks in public is such a low percentage at this point. I'd love to see the numbers on that if they somehow existed.
PackMom
ciscopack
metcalfmafia said:

People not wearing masks in public is such a low percentage at this point. I'd love to see the numbers on that if they somehow existed.
You've got to get out in the country. I know of 3 local convenience stores where mask wearing is less than 50%...I don't sit there and count but I'd guess 35% wear masks. The people behind the counters are mask-less. I'd guess if most of those people went to Lowes, they'd find 1 but some would not.

The Family Dollar behind one of those convenience stores; I'd guess 80% wear masks there and the employees wear them. WalMart in Zebulon.....probably around 90%+.

metcalfmafia
ciscopack said:

metcalfmafia said:

You've got to get out in the country. I know of 3 local convenience stores where mask wearing is less than 50%...I don't sit there and count but I'd guess 35% wear masks. The people behind the counters are mask-less. I'd guess if most of those people went to Lowes, they'd find 1 but some would not.

The Family Dollar behind one of those convenience stores; I'd guess 80% wear masks there and the employees wear them. WalMart in Zebulon.....probably around 90%+.

Are you confident in saying that your local convenience stores are the same as the rest of the country? Cause that's what I'm talking about here.
ciscopack
I think he's been encouraging that for a while! He's not the president yet, so he's not stepping on toes. It's a request to save lives and get the light at the end of the tunnel a little closer. In public....please wear a mask to protect yourself and others, is the idea.
In remarks at a June event in Wilmington, Biden also said there should be better guidance from the administration around mask-wearing.

"We absolutely need a clear message from the very top of our federal government that everyone needs to wear a mask in public, period," he said.

He wore a mask when he places a wreath on the Delaware Memorial on May 25.

Joe Biden said he'd start wearing a mask in public on April 5, 2020 and he also said the 2020 convention might be virtual on that day
Biden says he'll follow CDC mask guidance: "Listen to the Faucis of the world"

April 5, 2020

ciscopack
metcalfmafia said:

ciscopack said:

metcalfmafia said:

Are you confident in saying that your local convenience stores are the same as the rest of the country? Cause that's what I'm talking about here.
Absolutely not.
metcalfmafia
Just tired of the "if we just wear masks..."

People are more often than not wearing masks. Stop saying the same thing over and over.
wilmwolf
I was unaware that gas stations in Zebulon were driving the hospitalization numbers in the state. Learn something new every day.
Everpack
ciscopack said:

metcalfmafia said:

Ah yes, maskless, rural American convenience stores are the super spreaders for a worldwide respiratory virus pandemic. Do you even hear yourself?
First Page Last Page
Page 187 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.