Coronavirus

2,006,720 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I certainly think some of the"rules" re: mask wearing make very little sense.

I do think the severity of disease seems to be less in general. Nobody who matters has ever professed masks would wipe out the disease. They probably slow the spread (there is evidence in the literature) and they probably lessen the severity of disease by decreasing the inoculum when you're exposed.

Covid positive patient in the ED this weekend: wouldn't keep his mask on and finally tried to hide it from the staff instead of wear it. That kind of idiocy makes me a little salty.

There are plenty of people trying to make a reasonable effort to wear masks, but we all get away from them at times and that's enough for this virus to virus.

I'm sure Alex Berenson would not agree, but I'll once again ask these questions because we're all big boys and obviously smart enough to be pack fans and can use our own common sense:

1: would you rather take a sneeze in the face from someone with covid when you're both masked or unmasked?
2. If you get covid, will you mask around those you love?
3. If you have covid, and sneeze in a mask, is the inside of that mask wet? If so, do those droplets contain covid? If so, is that virus that would have been expelled into the air otherwise? If so, are those around you then exposed to less virus?
4. Does inoculum size matter in virology? If so, and those droplets in your wet mask contain virus that would have otherwise inoculated your buddy with even more viral load, is there a chance he'll get a milder disease or even fend off the disease with his immune system? Not saying he would be completely shielded from disease and may still test positive, but if the inoculum he sucks in has less viral load doesn't it seem to make sense he has a better chance of mild to no disease?

I've read the studies, I've studied virology long ago, I've talked to colleagues, I've searched the available evidence. But none of it matters when it comes right down to it, because i know the answers to these questions and that common sense guides my actions, governor be damned.

If you simply don't believe masks matter, then I'm sure they are looking for volunteers to be in the unmasked arm of the randomized study taking coughs/sneezes in the face from those with verified active covid.

Carry on, fellas.
redsteel33
3. If you have covid, and sneeze in a mask, is the inside of that mask wet? If so, do those droplets contain covid? If so, is that virus that would have been expelled into the air otherwise? If so, are those around you then exposed to less virus?

Every person I have seen sneeze or cough has lifted their mask prior. Not some - every single one.
packgrad
redsteel33 said:

Every person I have seen sneeze or cough has lifted their mask prior. Not some - every single one.

I sneezed into my elbow/shirt sleeve as instructed by medical professionals, but more specifically, my teacher wife. Immediately wished I had used my hands. Had a stringer. On a black shirt. Fortunately I was almost at my truck.
TheStorm
redsteel33 said:

Sounds like you only see what you want to see then, as my experience has been the complete opposite.
ncsualum05
Mormad said:

I do think the severity of disease seems to be less in general. Nobody who matters has ever professed masks would wipe out the disease. They probably slow the spread (there is evidence in the literature) and they probably lessen the severity of disease by decreasing the inoculum when you're exposed.

Covid positive patient in the ED this weekend: wouldn't keep his mask on and finally tried to hide it from the staff instead of wear it. That kind of idiocy makes me a little salty.

There are plenty of people trying to make a reasonable effort to wear masks, but we all get away from them at times and that's enough for this virus to virus.

I'm sure Alex Berenson would not agree, but I'll once again ask these questions because we're all big boys and obviously smart enough to be pack fans and can use our own common sense:

1: would you rather take a sneeze in the face from someone with covid when you're both masked or unmasked?
4. Does inoculum size matter in virology? If so, and those droplets in your wet mask contain virus that would have otherwise inoculated your buddy with even more viral load, is there a chance he'll get a milder disease or even fend off the disease with his immune system? Not saying he would be completely shielded from disease and may still test positive, but if the inoculum he sucks in has less viral load doesn't it seem to make sense he has a better chance of mild to no disease?

I've read the studies, I've studied virology long ago, I've talked to colleagues, I've searched the available evidence. But none of it matters when it comes right down to it, because i know the answers to these questions and that common sense guides my actions, governor be damned.

If you simply don't believe masks matter, then I'm sure they are looking for volunteers to be in the unmasked arm of the randomized study taking coughs/sneezes in the face from those with verified active covid.

Carry on, fellas.

This is why I asked you. Because I agree with what you're saying and I know you know this stuff. But the mystery remains as to why we are in worse shape now than ever before with the most uniform anti-viral behavior in our societies history. And for the record yes I wear the mask. I also have heard your point about less droplets escaping and someone potentially infected with less viral particles. However I thought this virus was very efficient at replicating itself once in your system. So how does that work from an infectious disease standpoint? Is it the less viral load you ingest/ or that infects you the less likely replication will be possible due to immuno response?
redsteel33
TheStorm said:

redsteel33 said:

Sounds like you only see what you want to see then, as my experience has been the complete opposite.

LOL.
Glad to know that there are folks doing the opposite of what I have seen.
redsteel33
packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

I sneezed into my elbow/shirt sleeve as instructed by medical professionals, but more specifically, my teacher wife. Immediately wished I had used my hands. Had a stringer. On a black shirt. Fortunately I was almost at my truck.
Noted. I just said they lifted their mask. I did not comment on elbow, into the open air, etc.
Pacfanweb
redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

Noted. I just said they lifted their mask. I did not comment on elbow, into the open air, etc.
So you're proving that the mask can't work if people don't use it. If you're going to EVER use one, then when you have to cough or sneeze is THE time to have it on.
redsteel33
Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

So you're proving that the mask can't work if people don't use it. If you're going to EVER use one, then when you have to cough or sneeze is THE time to have it on.
I thought you already knew that....
TheStorm
Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

Even if when you are sitting in your house by yourself... yeah, we get it... and yeah, more people are wearing masks than ever and it has done nothing to slow the spread of the virus.
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

The elbow is a CDC approved locale of a sneeze.
PossumJenkins
"Nobody who matters has ever professed masks will wipe out the disease."

While i agree with you...i think it was terrible theater in the least or extremely poor judgement for the director of the CDC to say he would rather have a mask than a vaccine. While either angry at the position he had been put in by the current administration or truly his belief he was stating...either way i don't believe it furthered any trust in an already lacking CDC.
Pacfanweb
TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

Even if when you are sitting in your house by yourself... yeah, we get it... and yeah, more people are wearing masks than ever and it has done nothing to slow the spread of the virus.

Yes but the virus has been are over here for nearly a year now. So just simply saying more people are wearing masks but it is still spreading does not remotely tell the whole story.
This many people wearing masks 8 months ago would have greatly slowed it down.
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

Yes but the virus has been are over here for nearly a year now. So just simply saying more people are wearing masks but it is still spreading does not remotely tell the whole story.
Why? It would still be here though, and more people would probably be getting it now.
Mormad
PossumJenkins said:

"Nobody who matters has ever professed masks will wipe out the disease."

While i agree with you...i think it was terrible theater in the least or extremely poor judgement for the director of the CDC to say he would rather have a mask than a vaccine. While either angry at the position he had been put in by the current administration or truly his belief he was stating...either way i don't believe it furthered any trust in an already lacking CDC.

Totally agree
Mormad
TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

You can't really say that, can you? Do we know what it would be like if nobody wore masks? Would we have approached early models? For all we know, masks have been a resounding success? Maybe?
Pacfanweb
packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

Why? It would still be here though, and more people would probably be getting it now.

And even more would be getting it without the mask usage we have now.
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

redsteel33 said:

packgrad said:

redsteel33 said:

And even more would be getting it without the mask usage we have now.

Call me crazy but I don't think Herr Cooper's most recent decrees have helped mask usage at all. I don't even know what you're arguing anymore though. Masks would not have stopped this virus. You understand that, yes?
Mormad
ncsualum05 said:

Mormad said:

Carry on, fellas.

This is why I asked you. Because I agree with what you're saying and I know you know this stuff. But the mystery remains as to why we are in worse shape now than ever before with the most uniform anti-viral behavior in our societies history. And for the record yes I wear the mask. I also have heard your point about less droplets escaping and someone potentially infected with less viral particles. However I thought this virus was very efficient at replicating itself once in your system. So how does that work from an infectious disease standpoint? Is it the less viral load you ingest/ or that infects you the less likely replication will be possible due to immuno response?

Yessir. The lower the viral load, the less likely you are to become infected because of your own ability to overcome the infection with an immune response, and the milder the disease in those with intact immune systems.

An example: with modern HIV therapies, infected individuals are carrying imperceptible viral loads. Therefore, the risk of transmission has plummeted. This is especially important to people like me who operate on people every day. Before these therapies, at risk people avoided getting it by avoiding risky behavior (social distancing) or using condoms ( masks) which also weren't 100% effective but lowered the risk by reducing exposure. Not a perfect example, but i think helps illustrate my point.

Also, think about how viruses go around your family. With each successive person, do the symptoms seem to get worse or better?
910wolf
I've heard some rumors circling that the Governor's next order will be a 9:00 PM curfew
packgrad
910wolf said:

I've heard some rumors circling that the Governor's next order will be a 9:00 PM curfew

That will stop it. But only if we can get 100% of people at home by 9. With daylight savings time though, might want to consider 7pm. Sunset in my neck of the woods is at 5pm, so it'll be dark dark by about 545 or 6. 7 will give the selfish people that don't work from home time to get home from work.
Civilized
910wolf said:

There's no way.

That's like a bad game of telephone.

I could see the governor mandating bars and restaurants close by 10 or something but no way is it a blanket curfew.
Ripper
Mormad said:

Carry on, fellas.

Masks (cloth/surgical) don't work for Covid-19. Berenson doesn't have anything to do with the evidence. He just reports it.
Civilized
Ripper said:

Masks (cloth/surgical) don't work for Covid-19. Berenson doesn't have anything to do with the evidence. He just reports it.

Define 'don't work'.
Pacfanweb
Ripper said:

Berenson cherry-picks whatever makes his point, just like any other biased media member.

And ANYTHING that blocks the spray/droplets from a cough/sneeze/talking helps. Some more than others, but they all help, at least a little.

Again, it's about the viral load, as Mormad already told us. You need to work on understanding that better.
Steve Williams
Staff
Not sure how many of you go to the gym but the new mask mandate is absolute murder. I guess if you're 20-something then maybe it's no big deal. If you're 50+ trying to run on a treadmill, it's damn near impossible. Which leads to- have there been any documented outbreaks traced back to workout facilities? I haven't heard of any but I'm guessing at some point some old dude is going to stroke out with his mask due to oxygen deprivation.
Colonel Armstrong
I've had to take multiple breaks while on the treadmill because it's tough to breathe through the mask (also because I'm getting more out of shape lol)
statefan91
You guys need to enjoy the nice cool air and run outside.
wilmwolf
I'm very thankful to have a treadmill and free weights in the garage. Professional and olympic athletes train with masks on sometimes to build endurance, but I don't fall in either category. If I had to work out with a mask on, I wouldn't do it. I already wear one most of the day, and the times when I've had to exert myself with it on were not pleasant.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Herr Cooper dictates that masks must be worn outside too when exercising. Back in my marathon running days I used to wear masks for training purposes. Now the run itself is hard enough that l the idea of adding a mask too is a deal breaker for me.
Daviewolf83
Steve Williams said:

Not sure how many of you go to the gym but the new mask mandate is absolute murder. I guess if you're 20-something then maybe it's no big deal. If you're 50+ trying to run on a treadmill, it's damn near impossible. Which leads to- have there been any documented outbreaks traced back to workout facilities? I haven't heard of any but I'm guessing at some point some old dude is going to stroke out with his mask due to oxygen deprivation.
There is a recent study that looked at location information to determine what activities are leading to the spread of coronavirus. In this study, they did find that full-service restaurants and gyms are contributors to the spread. It looked at data from several metropolitan areas to make these conclusions. For example, in Chicago, 10% of the places people visited lead to 85% of the predicted infections. The list of these places included full-service restaurants, fitness centers, and places of worship. These places had the highest risk for disease transmission.

This study is currently going through peer review and there are questions about their analysis, the models they used and the data mentioned in some of the peer reviews. You can see a link to the study here:

Mobility network models of COVID-19 explain inequities and inform reopening

As to NC, I just double-checked the Cluster report and they do not separate out gyms in the reporting. If you look at the report, you will see that indoor activities seem to have higher cluster events and cases. You can see the latest report here:

Covid-19 in NC Cluster Report

Personally, I have chosen not to go to a gym at this time. This is based on my understanding of places to avoid to be safe from airborne viruses. Bottom line, being indoors in close, crowded spaces with poor airflow and ventilation are places to avoid. For example, when I go to a restaurant, I only eat outside when possible. If not possible, I get takeout and prefer they bring it to my car.

I do understand that exercising is a great idea and being as healthy as possible should be everyone's goal. We do know that people who are healthy have much better outcomes if they contract Covid-19, so I applaud anyone who tries to stay healthy at this time. Personally, I would recommend exercising outdoors as much as possible and if you do go to a indoor gym, I would only go if there is adequate spacing of people in the gym and good ventilation.

I also recognize that exercising while wearing a mask is difficult. My son has been wearing a mask for all conditioning and practices since June. He has told me how difficult it is, but they have not choice in the matter.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

There are virtually no outbreaks traced to gyms. Stupid requirement.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

Herr Cooper dictates that masks must be worn outside too when exercising. Back in my marathon running days I used to wear masks for training purposes. Now the run itself is hard enough that l the idea of adding a mask too is a deal breaker for me.
Requirements to wear a mask while exercising outside are not based on any science and as such, it is a stupid rule. This is one rule I would happily break. I can understand if I am running in a tightly packed group, it might make some sense, but exercising by myself with no one nearby puts no one at risk.
SSPack
You can buy mask spacers from Amazon that fit inside your mask and keep you from sucking the mask in when breathing heavily on the treadmill. Running with a mask still sucks but this at least makes it suck a little less. I've also heard the Under Armour sports masks coupled with the mask spacers are the way to go. I've ordered one and will try it out when it arrives next week.
TheStorm
statefan91 said:

Yeah, but we're being told to wear them outside as well now...
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.