Coronavirus

2,007,935 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
Pacfanweb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

Bas2020 said:

LOL.. Biden was doing Rally's in March/April while telling Trump he was a racist for banning flights from China/Europe.

Bill DeBlasio was telling people to go out and enjoy dinner in New York.

Pelosi was telling people to go to "China Town" and have fun and dont be scared.

Cuomo was putting infrected people in Nursing homes.

Democrats bundled Rona a heck of a lot worse... there is a youtube video of cut ups showing all the stupid things Dems said back in the spring...

Saying 'stupid' things in early March, before the WHO labeled Covid a pandemic and before the severity and extent of the virus was known, is different than continuing to say stupid stuff for the last seven months. We were all behaving much differently in early March than we were even a couple of weeks later. There were a few hundred known cases in America at that time, and a handful of deaths, mostly in nursing homes. Things have changed a little over the last seven months.

All well and good, and probably true.

However, the Dems are talking about just that time frame, in which they (Biden) claim they would have done better....yet it can be demonstrated with evidence that they in fact, did WORSE.

So imagine if Cuomo was President. Or DeBlasio.

I didn't hear Trump telling everyone to go out and have dinner, or ordering old people around the country with Covid back to the nursing homes.

There is "saying stupid things" and actually "DOING stupid things".

Given the unknowns at the time, Trump didn't do too bad. Everyone has the answer NOW. But they didn't back then. Hell, you had Pelosi criticizing the initial China ban. And even later, when it was proven to be the correct thing to do, all she said was "It wasn't this great moment".

Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Bas2020 said:

LOL.. Biden was doing Rally's in March/April while telling Trump he was a racist for banning flights from China/Europe.

Bill DeBlasio was telling people to go out and enjoy dinner in New York.

Pelosi was telling people to go to "China Town" and have fun and dont be scared.

Cuomo was putting infrected people in Nursing homes.

Democrats bundled Rona a heck of a lot worse... there is a youtube video of cut ups showing all the stupid things Dems said back in the spring...

Saying 'stupid' things in early March, before the WHO labeled Covid a pandemic and before the severity and extent of the virus was known, is different than continuing to say stupid stuff for the last seven months. We were all behaving much differently in early March than we were even a couple of weeks later. There were a few hundred known cases in America at that time, and a handful of deaths, mostly in nursing homes. Things have changed a little over the last seven months.

All well and good, and probably true.

However, the Dems are talking about just that time frame, in which they (Biden) claim they would have done better....yet it can be demonstrated with evidence that they in fact, did WORSE.

So imagine if Cuomo was President. Or DeBlasio.

I didn't hear Trump telling everyone to go out and have dinner, or ordering old people around the country with Covid back to the nursing homes.

There is "saying stupid things" and actually "DOING stupid things".

Given the unknowns at the time, Trump didn't do too bad. Everyone has the answer NOW. But they didn't back then. Hell, you had Pelosi criticizing the initial China ban. And even later, when it was proven to be the correct thing to do, all she said was "It wasn't this great moment".

I was reading an article recently that speaks to some of what you are describing.

Given Trump's already strong disapproval ratings, people and especially Democrats may be ascribing "Worst president ever to have during pandemic" to him when a more rational or balanced analysis comparing us to the Covid struggles of other countries around the world simply lead you to something more like "not good handling of pandemic."

Other politicians from either party clearly would've made early mistakes just like he did. Whether or not they would've made the exact same mistakes, or done better or worse in the aggregate is unknowable.

What we do know is that Trump is historically unpopular and there was never any chance the Democrats wouldn't seize upon that during this election cycle. Republicans call it "orange man bad," but it's not unique to the orange man.

Candidates always seize upon the weaknesses of their opponent when campaigning and when you have a historically unpopular president, that strategy is going to be amplified since Trump's extremely high disapproval ratings are his biggest campaign weakness.

Also, it can't be ignored that Trump's been so ineffective at developing, communicating, and executing policy-based decisions that he doesn't have a lot of policy to run against. Combined with how very unpopular he is, Biden's campaign strategy is not surprising at all and virtually all other politicians in a similar position to Biden, campaigning against a historically unpopular president, would do the same.
Daviewolf83
While Wayland is enjoying a well-earned vacation, below is some of the data he normally supplies daily:

10/5/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
219,754 (214,209 PCR + 5545 Antigen)
NC Deaths
3606 (PCR) + 31 (Anitgen) = 3637
Currently Hospitalized
971 <- 92% reporting (was 907 at 91%)
Completed Tests
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1,905 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
+3 Deaths Overall since yesterday

52% of Deaths are from Congregate setting

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2248 positive cases over 32,941 new tests. 6.8% positive rate. (DHHS 6.4%)

Dates of Death Reported 10/5:
10/4(1), 10/3(2), 10/2(2), 10/1(2) <== PCR Deaths
10/3(1), 10/2(1) <== Antigen Deaths

They added previously missing deaths in today's report, since the total number added is greater then the total number of new reported deaths.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

There's the ongoing argument that Covid has become political. Based on what I'm seeing, Biden's entire campaign is built and focused on Covid. Clearly, in my opinion their strategy is to appeal to those who are terrified of getting sick. It's certainly no secret that the media hates Trump and he's earned a lot of that but I think the media has done a very good job of setting the table and giving the Dems something to run on. Is Covid something to be concerned with? Certainly. Has the media portrayed it in the most apocalyptic way possible? Certainly. For me, the question when deciding who to vote for- what would the democrats run on, what would their rallying cry be if Covid didn't exist? Outside of 'orange man bad', I can't come up with anything. They have the same exact platform that I've heard over and over and over and over and over- make rich Americans and corporations pay their fair share, remove tax loopholes, create millions of new jobs through clean technology. We've heard this repeatedly. Personally, in a Covid free America I don't think anyone had a snowball's chance in Hades of beating Trump.
Democrats have been telling the media and their base exactly what they want to do. They try to downplay it some but some of their leadership is pretty upfront about it.

Biden at the debate wouldn't answer the question about packing the supreme court. Some in his leadership circle have pledged to do that. Schumer has said if we get the senate nothing is off the table. Plenty of democrats have called for it. What people don't realize is how radical and dangerous this is.

"Packing the court". What does it really mean? There have been some very consequential decisions over the years that have had 5-4 votes. And I'm not talking about abortion or healthcare. I'm talking about bill of rights, freedom of speech, right to bear arms cases. Democrats take power and they put their judges on the court to legislate from the bench. Change it to 11 or 13 or whatever they want to have a big majority. It effectively ruins one branch of government and puts our constitution and republic on the chopping block. Again you already have big tech companies actively censoring political opinions they do not like. That would only increase with absolute immunity but then censorship could leak into other portions of our society. People could lose freedom and government could amass a lot of power. Any law could be passed through a democrat house and a filibuster proof senate. Democrats have also pledged to take majority and get rid of 60 vote filibuster. So a simple majority could pass anything. Green new deal, medicare for all? No problem... but you're going to have pay more taxes and give up more rights to pay for it. Adding DC and Puerto Rico as states to get even more deep blue representation would pack the house and senate so to speak as well.

This is not some conspiracy... it really could happen. In fact many of their leaders are calling for it. The court question alone disqualifies Biden from taking the office of the presidency. Vote Republican to save the Republic.
ciscopack
I'll be surprised if Franklin Graham does not have Covid-19; he was sitting beside Thom Tillis at the party.
wilmwolf
Daviewolf83 said:

While Wayland is enjoying a well-earned vacation, below is some of the data he normally supplies daily:

10/5/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
219,754 (214,209 PCR + 5545 Antigen)
NC Deaths
3606 (PCR) + 31 (Anitgen) = 3637
Currently Hospitalized
971 <- 92% reporting (was 907 at 91%)
Completed Tests
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1,905 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
+3 Deaths Overall since yesterday

52% of Deaths are from Congregate setting

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2248 positive cases over 32,941 new tests. 6.8% positive rate. (DHHS 6.4%)

Dates of Death Reported 10/5:
10/4(1), 10/3(2), 10/2(2), 10/1(2) <== PCR Deaths
10/3(1), 10/2(1) <== Antigen Deaths

They added previously missing deaths in today's report, since the total number added is greater then the total number of new reported deaths.

Thank you so much for briefly returning this thread to its purpose.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackBacker07
"Biden at the debate wouldn't answer the question about packing the supreme court. Some in his leadership circle have pledged to do that. Schumer has said if we get the senate nothing is off the table. Plenty of democrats have called for it. What people don't realize is how radical and dangerous this is."

Why should the SC be at 9 seats forever? IIRC, when it was set at 9 in the late 1800s we had 9 circuits. We now have 13 and tons more case load, correct? The number of justices has changed over time, mainly for political reasons.

EDIT: We should probably move this to another thread.
Y'all means ALL.
Daviewolf83
ciscopack said:

I'll be surprised if Franklin Graham does not have Covid-19; he was sitting beside Thom Tillis at the party.
I would not be surprised if Rev. Graham does not have the virus. He may not have come in close proximity with the person that Tillis contracted the virus from. Most information I have read over the past several months indicates it can take 2-4 days after becoming infected before you become infectious and it can take 3-14 days for symptoms to appear.

Rudy Giuliani said this morning that he sat right beside Gov. Chistie during the debate prep for several hours and he has not tested positive so far (has been tested twice since Friday) and he said he has no symptoms. If someone is in the early stages of having become infected, they may not pass the disease on to others.

We have a neighbor who now has the virus. She believes she contracted the virus while visiting family in West Virginia the weekend of 9/26, since she had not left her house, since returning from West Virginia. She did not begin having symptoms until Wednesday (9/30) and she tested positive on Friday.

The science tells us we need to come in close contact (closer then 6 feet) for a prolonged period of time (10 minutes or more) to be at significant risk to catch the virus. This is why I do not worry when I pass someone in a store while wearing a mask. If we both have a mask on, the chances of catching the virus in a brief encounter are extremely remote.
IseWolf22
PackBacker07 said:

"Biden at the debate wouldn't answer the question about packing the supreme court. Some in his leadership circle have pledged to do that. Schumer has said if we get the senate nothing is off the table. Plenty of democrats have called for it. What people don't realize is how radical and dangerous this is."

Why should the SC be at 9 seats forever? IIRC, when it was set at 9 in the late 1800s we had 9 circuits. We now have 13 and tons more case load, correct? The number of justices has changed over time, mainly for political reasons.

Court packing is associated with authoritarian regimes and downfall of democracy. The only way to expand the SC without ruining all trust in the institution is a measured, bipartisan process. Not just allowing the party in power to add 4 justices of their choosing.
Civilized
Daviewolf83 said:

While Wayland is enjoying a well-earned vacation...

I read this and my immediate thought was "OMG What did Wayland do to get himself banned??"
ciscopack
IseWolf22 said:

PackBacker07 said:

Court packing is associated with authoritarian regimes and downfall of democracy. The only way to expand the SC without ruining all trust in the institution is a measured, bipartisan process. Not just allowing the party in power to add 4 justices of their choosing.
Are we playing by the Merrick Garland rules or the Amy Coney Barrett rules???
Daviewolf83
Please move the discussion on "court packing" to another thread. It has no place in this thread. Thanks.
packgrad
Good news. "Don't let it dominate your life." Amen, brother.

Daviewolf83
I saw an interesting chart earlier this morning, showing how the US is doing with New Daily Cases compared to the rest of the world. I thought I would just provide a snapshot that shows how the US is currently doing versus some of the major European countries. I included Sweden (it is the line missing a label), since their deaths have fallen dramatically, since the first few months.

The graph below is normalized for population differences, so you get a better idea of how each country is doing, regardless of population differences. As you can see, France, Spain, and the UK are currently seeing a higher number of daily new cases than the US. Additionally, Sweden is starting to see a significant increase (compared to their data a month ago) in new daily cases.

The bottom line. Be slow to congratulate and chastise other countries, since the virus has a mind of its own and is going to rise and fall. Until we reach herd immunity through a combination of a vaccine and the spread of the virus through the population, I believe we will continue to see this type of data. A vaccine and the infection of large numbers of the population will both required to reach a level of herd immunity to slow the spread.

Everpack
Bas2020 said:

IF you removed New York we would rank #47. The Best amongst industrialized nations in the entire World. Point Being... US has done A heck of alot better with Covid then the media is telling you.

It's baffling to me how much this fact is glossed over. If you take away the one city in the country that is the anomaly to all other areas in our enormous country, this event isn't even a blip on our radar. But, orange man bad, Cuomo is savior.
cowboypack02
ciscopack said:

IseWolf22 said:

PackBacker07 said:

Are we playing by the Merrick Garland rules or the Amy Coney Barrett rules???

Don't be like that...

Since the founding of our country if one party is president and the other party is in charge of the senate during an election year then the SC Justice either doesn't get a vote or gets voted down

Since the founding of our country if the same party has both the presidency and the senate then the SC Justice gets to be on the supreme course.

The only reason that democrats are mad about it now is because the rule doesn't benefit you.

I'm going to include an article that has been sourced for you to review.....
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/history-is-on-the-side-of-republicans-filling-a-supreme-court-vacancy-in-2020/

Let me know after you've read it and them maybe we can have an actual conversation
ciscopack
Daviewolf83 said:

ciscopack said:

I would not be surprised if Rev. Graham does not have the virus. He may not have come in close proximity with the person that Tillis contracted the virus from. Most information I have read over the past several months indicates it can take 2-4 days after becoming infected before you become infectious and it can take 3-14 days for symptoms to appear.

Rudy Giuliani said this morning that he sat right beside Gov. Chistie during the debate prep for several hours and he has not tested positive so far (has been tested twice since Friday) and he said he has no symptoms. If someone is in the early stages of having become infected, they may not pass the disease on to others.

We have a neighbor who now has the virus. She believes she contracted the virus while visiting family in West Virginia the weekend of 9/26, since she had not left her house, since returning from West Virginia. She did not begin having symptoms until Wednesday (9/30) and she tested positive on Friday.

The science tells us we need to come in close contact (closer then 6 feet) for a prolonged period of time (10 minutes or more) to be at significant risk to catch the virus. This is why I do not worry when I pass someone in a store while wearing a mask. If we both have a mask on, the chances of catching the virus in a brief encounter are extremely remote.
That wasn't Tillis beside him anyway.....other side of the isle and further back was Franklin. (I thought it was the other day)
bigeric
Everpack said:

Bas2020 said:

IF you removed New York we would rank #47. The Best amongst industrialized nations in the entire World. Point Being... US has done A heck of alot better with Covid then the media is telling you.

It's baffling to me how much this fact is glossed over. If you take away the one city in the country that is the anomaly to all other areas in our enormous country, this event isn't even a blip on our radar. But, orange man bad, Cuomo is savior.
Where would New York rank by itself?
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
SupplyChainPack
President Trump arriving at the White House now!
Civilized
Everpack said:

Bas2020 said:

For that to be meaningful analysis, you'd need to go remove the worst-affected city from every other country in the world and then re-rank the countries.
packgrad
SupplyChainPack

Donald The Orange Returns Triumphantly As Donald The White

https://babylonbee.com/news/donald-the-orange-returns-triumphantly-as-donald-the-white/?utm_content=buffereb9ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Wayland
Civilized said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I read this and my immediate thought was "OMG What did Wayland do to get himself banned??"

Ignoring the world and numbers for the most part, so lalalalala (and thanks Davie)

But finally have internet for first time since State game.

SupplyChainPack
Yes! Thanks for sharing!
Steve Williams
Staff
Wayland, where ever you are...stay there. That looks glorious.
Packchem91
Yellowstone River? That gorge is as stunning as anywhere you'll find in the world. What is amazing is when you are upriver (Yellowstone Lake side), how wide and slow the river is....and then it gets so powerful as it squeezes into that little neck of the falls.

For a guy who has spent the last 6 mos analyzing Covid stats, you must feel 200% better seeing Mother Nature at her finest.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

Everpack said:

Bas2020 said:

For that to be meaningful analysis, you'd need to go remove the worst-affected city from every other country in the world and then re-rank the countries.
Correct. You should remove the largest outbreak city for each country for the comparison to be more accurate. Another way to analyze differences is to compare a US state to a European nation. For example, let's compare Illinois to Sweden. I chose these two, since they are very similar in population size and density, but they have had very different outcomes.

Here are the relevant statistics:

Illinois:
Population = 12.7 million
Percentage of population urbanized = 88.5%
Population of largest city (Chicago) = 2.7 million
Largest City's Density = 11,942 people per square mile
Average # people per household = 2.6 people

Covid Cases = 306,133 cases (24,159 per million)
Covid Deaths = 9,054 deaths (714 per million)

Restrictions: Illinois has a mask mandate, had severe lockdowns of non-essential businesses during the early months of the virus, and closed schools soon after the virus hit in March.

Sweden:
Population = 10.2 million
Percentage of population urbanized = 87%
Population of largest city (Stockholm) = 2.4 million
Largest City's Density = 11,000 people per square mile
Average # of people per household = 2 people

Covid Cases = 94,283 cases (9,320 per million)
Covid Deaths = 5,895 deaths (583 per million)

Restrictions: Sweden has no mask mandate, did not lockdown all business, but did have some limits on restaurant seating and limits on groups. Sweden did not shutdown in-person learning for elementary schools. They did limit attendance in middle and high schools, but all schools are currently open.

Bas2020
We're all gonna get this damn virus in the next 2 -3 years . Every single one of us . Vaccine will only work on 20% of the population . 50% will probably get it and never know it .

Best thing to do is eat healthy , exercise and then pray that your body is equipped to handle it . And once you do get it realize the drugs are getting better to deal with it .

Only alternative is to stay inside for the next 1,000 or so days and be miserable . 99.6% chance you will be ok .
wilmwolf
Excellent info. I've said multiple times in this thread that comparing the whole of the US to individual countries in Europe was fairly meaningless. With our varied geography, demographics, population density, and varying restrictions we are much more like fifty individual countries thab one homogenous entity when it comes to this virus.
SupplyChainPack
That's a good analysis.
WolfPacker54
Bas2020 said:

We're all gonna get this damn virus in the next 2 -3 years . Every single one of us . Vaccine will only work on 20% of the population . 50% will probably get it and never know it .

Best thing to do is eat healthy , exercise and then pray that your body is equipped to handle it . And once you do get it realize the drugs are getting better to deal with it .

Only alternative is to stay inside for the next 1,000 or so days and be miserable . 99.6% chance you will be ok .

What makes you think the vaccination would only work on 20% of people who get it? It has to have at least 50% effectiveness in clinical trials to even receive FDA approval...
ciscopack
Wayland said:

Civilized said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Ignoring the world and numbers for the most part, so lalalalala (and thanks Davie)

Nice pic! Enjoy your travels!
Civilized
Wayland said:

Civilized said:

Daviewolf83 said:

So awesome Wayland thanks for sharing!
GoPack2008
Steve Williams said:

There's the ongoing argument that Covid has become political. Based on what I'm seeing, Biden's entire campaign is built and focused on Covid. Clearly, in my opinion their strategy is to appeal to those who are terrified of getting sick. It's certainly no secret that the media hates Trump and he's earned a lot of that but I think the media has done a very good job of setting the table and giving the Dems something to run on. Is Covid something to be concerned with? Certainly. Has the media portrayed it in the most apocalyptic way possible? Certainly. For me, the question when deciding who to vote for- what would the democrats run on, what would their rallying cry be if Covid didn't exist? Outside of 'orange man bad', I can't come up with anything. They have the same exact platform that I've heard over and over and over and over and over- make rich Americans and corporations pay their fair share, remove tax loopholes, create millions of new jobs through clean technology. We've heard this repeatedly. Personally, in a Covid free America I don't think anyone had a snowball's chance in Hades of beating Trump.

210,000 people are dead.

Covid wouldn't be a losing issue for Trump if his administration had done anything remotely effective in handling it.

Packgrad and Bas and all the other cultists are going to jump all over this comment, but if you look at polling including in key swing states, A huge majority of Americans do not Trust Trump on covid. He could have prevented that himself.
packgrad
GoPack2008 said:

Steve Williams said:

210,000 people are dead.

Covid wouldn't be a losing issue for Trump if his administration had done anything remotely effective in handling it.

Packgrad and Bas and all the other cultists are going to jump all over this comment, but if you look at polling including in key swing states, A huge majority of Americans do not Trust Trump on covid. He could have prevented that himself.

They also don't trust radlibs like you. Saying Trump has done nothing effective just accentuates how deranged you are. You have been a cheerleader for the virus from the start. You get giddy about the numbers, cheered for sports not to start, and blame any and everything on Trump and the right. You are a truly deranged person.

I know you're disappointed that Trump has not been affected poorly by the virus. I know you'll be screaming at the sky again this November. You can cheerlead your "polling" now like you cheerlead the virus numbers and cheerleader against sports. You will be wrong again. Just another of many times.
First Page Last Page
Page 166 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.