Coronavirus

2,006,477 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PackMom said:

Wearing my masks may not stop it, but it might keep it away from a few people. It's worth it to me.

Didn't say it wasn't. Simply responded back to someone saying doing distancing will never happen. It happened for months and the virus kept spreading and still is. If you want to wear a mask, by all means, wear a mask. Nothing I said says you shouldn't.
PackMom
RunsWithWolves26 said:

PackMom said:

Wearing my masks may not stop it, but it might keep it away from a few people. It's worth it to me.

Didn't say it wasn't. Simply responded back to someone saying doing distancing will never happen. It happened for months and the virus kept spreading and still is. If you want to wear a mask, by all means, wear a mask. Nothing I said says you shouldn't.
Didn't mean it that way. Sorry I phrased it poorly.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

I didn't see that many masks in public personally. I think effort or diligence or compliance (or whatever term makes you feel better) with masking would make a difference.
I tend to agree. I just got back into town from visiting my son. Had to take him the last set of things for his house and did his grocery shopping for him, so he does not have to risk exposure. He is currently negative for the virus (tested in last few days) and he wants to keep it that way. Staying negative for the virus allows him to continue conditioning and practicing on his own in the facilities.

What I noticed this weekend with regards to masks is the following:

1. My wife and I went to a restaurant in the town of Wake Forest Friday night. We wore masks to enter (waited in car until table was ready), removed them to eat, put them on to leave. Of the patrons in the restaurant, I would estimate 25% wore masks - really a piss poor effort on the part of people.
2. On Saturday, went to a restaurant in Cameron Village and sat outside to eat. Wore masks until we decided to eat outside and the table was a good 8 feet or more away from others. My wife went inside to order and wore a mask. We sat outside without masks, since no one was near us. Put masks on to take our trash inside to dispose of it and kept masks on until in the car. Of the people I observed wearing a mask, I would estimate 80%, even though Raleigh now has a mask order in place.
3. After eating, went to one store in Cameron Village to shop. At the door, it said masks required to enter. My wife and I were already wearing masks, so not a problem at all. Everyone in the store was wearing a mask and seemed to be doing a good job of social distancing as well.
4. Saturday night, we chose to get takeout, due to our experience the night before at the Wake Forest restaurant.
5. In Winston-Salem, we had to to go to a grocery store. Of course, my wife and I wore masks and I would estimate 85-90% of people in the store were wearing masks.
6. My wife and I wore masks while dropping off stuff for my son. We got him takeout for lunch as well.

This was all of the social interaction we had this weekend and expect for the really poor job I saw of people wearing masks (or not wearing them), I was impressed with a couple of other locations. I really do not understand people's resistance to wearing a mask. It is easy and it does more good than harm. I really am tired of hearing excuses from people for not wearing one. It is our best hope of diminishing the spread of the virus and avoiding another lock-down. Plus, we really have to find a way to have college sports in the Fall. I can not express how devastating it will be to the athletes if the season is cancelled. If you are refusing to wear a mask now, you are just selfish. No other explanation will cut if for me.

Bottom line - your rights end where my lungs begin.
lumberpack5
1. A lot of people are not very bright. Just a fact. I'd say this is half of those that do not wear.
2. There are some Trump and anti-government folks refusing to wear masks. I'd say this is 30% of those I run into and they are vociferous about it.
3. 20% forget.
I like the athletic type
Civilized
lumberpack5 said:

1. A lot of people are not very bright. Just a fact. I'd say this is half of those that do not wear.
2. There are some Trump and anti-government folks refusing to wear masks. I'd say this is 30% of those I run into and they are vociferous about it.
3. 20% forget.

LOLOL. Great summary. I love data and think you could do all sorts of studies on this, but they'd be a waste of money.

Lumber's already nailed it.
Packchem91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Packchem91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

I didn't see that many masks in public personally. I think effort or diligence or compliance (or whatever term makes you feel better) with masking would make a difference.

Everyone was locked down for months. Heard daily "15 to stop the spread" blah blah blah. Nothing changed. It kept spreading just like it will with mask being worn
Not like it is now.

Are you actually arguing we should not need to wear masks?

You've been griping for months to reopen. We have, in many cases. And we should expect some uptick in rates when doing so.
But it isn't asking you, or anyone else, too much to put a mask on so we don't, while going thru opening, putting us back into purgatory?

Actually, I was onboard and supported the shutdown for months. I responded to the never gonna happen comment. We tried all this shut down, wear masks, social distance, etc,etc, and the virus us still spreading. It ain't worked but if you wanna wear a mask, have at it. You ain't stopping this just like you ain't stopping the flu.
I don't want to wear a mask. I just think its the considerate thing to do. And yes, I know that is something that is difficult to come by nowadays.

And...pretty much every medical person, believer in science, and person of intelligence -- attributes I'd think NC State grads would be aligned with -- have suggested that while is most certainly not a preventative, it can absolutely reduce risks of spread.

There is a reason the United States and a bunch of backwards places like Brazil are still seeing rampant spread....where places accustomed to following orders of masks (and maybe...just maybe, more considerate people) are seeing a decline?
RunsWithWolves26
Packchem91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Packchem91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Mormad said:

Everyone was locked down for months. Heard daily "15 to stop the spread" blah blah blah. Nothing changed. It kept spreading just like it will with mask being worn
Not like it is now.

Are you actually arguing we should not need to wear masks?

You've been griping for months to reopen. We have, in many cases. And we should expect some uptick in rates when doing so.
But it isn't asking you, or anyone else, too much to put a mask on so we don't, while going thru opening, putting us back into purgatory?

Actually, I was onboard and supported the shutdown for months. I responded to the never gonna happen comment. We tried all this shut down, wear masks, social distance, etc,etc, and the virus us still spreading. It ain't worked but if you wanna wear a mask, have at it. You ain't stopping this just like you ain't stopping the flu.
I don't want to wear a mask. I just think its the considerate thing to do. And yes, I know that is something that is difficult to come by nowadays.

And...pretty much every medical person, believer in science, and person of intelligence -- attributes I'd think NC State grads would be aligned with -- have suggested that while is most certainly not a preventative, it can absolutely reduce risks of spread.

There is a reason the United States and a bunch of backwards places like Brazil are still seeing rampant spread....where places accustomed to following orders of masks (and maybe...just maybe, more considerate people) are seeing a decline?

Ok
wilmwolf
Guess we should lump those inconsiderate backwards heathens in Sweden into that category.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

I tend to agree. I just got back into town from visiting my son. Had to take him the last set of things for his house and did his grocery shopping for him, so he does not have to risk exposure. He is currently negative for the virus (tested in last few days) and he wants to keep it that way. Staying negative for the virus allows him to continue conditioning and practicing on his own in the facilities.

What I noticed this weekend with regards to masks is the following:

1. My wife and I went to a restaurant in the town of Wake Forest Friday night. We wore masks to enter (waited in car until table was ready), removed them to eat, put them on to leave. Of the patrons in the restaurant, I would estimate 25% wore masks - really a piss poor effort on the part of people.
2. On Saturday, went to a restaurant in Cameron Village and sat outside to eat. Wore masks until we decided to eat outside and the table was a good 8 feet or more away from others. My wife went inside to order and wore a mask. We sat outside without masks, since no one was near us. Put masks on to take our trash inside to dispose of it and kept masks on until in the car. Of the people I observed wearing a mask, I would estimate 80%, even though Raleigh now has a mask order in place.
3. After eating, went to one store in Cameron Village to shop. At the door, it said masks required to enter. My wife and I were already wearing masks, so not a problem at all. Everyone in the store was wearing a mask and seemed to be doing a good job of social distancing as well.
4. Saturday night, we chose to get takeout, due to our experience the night before at the Wake Forest restaurant.
5. In Winston-Salem, we had to to go to a grocery store. Of course, my wife and I wore masks and I would estimate 85-90% of people in the store were wearing masks.
6. My wife and I wore masks while dropping off stuff for my son. We got him takeout for lunch as well.

This was all of the social interaction we had this weekend and expect for the really poor job I saw of people wearing masks (or not wearing them), I was impressed with a couple of other locations. I really do not understand people's resistance to wearing a mask. It is easy and it does more good than harm. I really am tired of hearing excuses from people for not wearing one. It is our best hope of diminishing the spread of the virus and avoiding another lock-down. Plus, we really have to find a way to have college sports in the Fall. I can not express how devastating it will be to the athletes if the season is cancelled. If you are refusing to wear a mask now, you are just selfish. No other explanation will cut if for me.

My mom doesn't wear a mask because she is extremely closterphobic. Guess she's just selfish.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Guess we should lump those inconsiderate backwards heathens in Sweden into that category.
No. The two (2) liberal board experts have spoken. It's all Trump supporters!

I've been wearing a damn mask in public since the very beginning and more often than not I'm one of the very few wearing them. Still. Grocery stores there have been a higher percentage wearing them. Lowe's Home Improvement? Maybe 25% (and there are more now than there were at the beginning). ABC Stores? LOL.

I still have the damn thing around my neck anytime I go out, specifically so that if I am in the presence of others that are wearing one, I can put it on out of pure common courtesy. There is nothing wrong with anybody wanting to wear a mask and I can be courteous and wear one when it is necessary as well.

But it shouldn't become mandatory now. Not if it hasn't been mandatory all along. And definitely not for leftist politics. No - that's spelled N O - young people were wearing them for over two (2) months. Until the protests and riots that is. Why weren't they wearing them all along? Maybe they wear them at the protests for another convenient reason, who knows? (Lumber can do one of his famous scientific studies on it... and Civilized can chime in and agree with him)

I just stopped at a gas station / convenience store on Friday down here at the coast. I pretty much always pay at the pump - but this time I had to use the restroom, so I went inside. Place was packed. I was the only person wearing a mask. A lot of young people were in there on the way to the beach for the afternoon. No masks.

I'm still waiting to read about the first hot spot outbreak from one of the 350+/- ABC Stores around the state that were deemed as "essential services". Took them 2-3 weeks before they put up any splashguards... different construction method from store to store... about 1/4 of those workers are wearing masks anymore. They can't control who comes in and out of the door though. We talked about Lowe's Home Improvement and Home Depot. Why hasn't there been an outbreak from any place like that in North Carolina? These places get a heavy volume of Hispanic construction workers (within their mix of people from all backgrounds)... MAYBE you'll see one of the older ones (50+) wearing a mask.

But now all of a sudden after the riots and the looting and the pillaging... the masks are going to magically wipe out the virus - and anyone not wearing one is a Trump supporter. I guess Roy was a Trump supporter up until a couple of weeks ago, huh?
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

They just made a blatantly poor choice. They're one of the worst at testing and have 4x the number is cases as their Scandinavian neighbors that locked down. They mistakenly feel their death rates are so high because they're just so much better at reporting them. And, to top it off, only less than 7.3 percent have antibodies to the virus. So their whole herd immunity project has failed them. Their own former state epidemiologist said, "we're learning that the swedish model wasn't the smartest."
Mormad
I have concerns that herd immunity is the answer with this or any virus.

For the same reasons, I have concerns about the efficacy of the current vaccines going to trial.

Both are dependent upon producing antibodies against the spike protein, a protein that will likely morph. We may produce antibodies, but we have no clue how long they'll last nor how much immunity they actually confer.

There are reasons we are still riding the plateaued wave of 25k cases a day and Europe has seen their wave decline. We can't get off the first wave to even start to discuss the possibility of a second wave.
Wayland
Mormad said:

For the same reasons, I have concerns about the efficacy of the current vaccines going to trial.

Both are dependent upon producing antibodies against the spike protein, a protein that will likely morph. We may produce antibodies, but we have no clue how long they'll last nor how much immunity they actually confer.

There are reasons we are still riding the plateaued wave of 25k cases a day and Europe has seen their wave decline. We can't get off the first wave to even start to discuss the possibility of a second wave.
But those places that killed the most are done with the first wave. The plateau is coming from places that locked down before things got completely out of control but after the virus had already penetrated the community. It is exactly what 'flattening the curve' looks like. Ignore the healthcare capacity, since we didn't reach it. But at some point those who didn't control the virus (NY, NJ, MA, western Europe) have a curve that passes those that did. While those that were actually successful in preventing spiking continue to deal with it. That was kind of the point, wasn't it?

If Sweden doesn't have some level of herd immunity (I hate to use that term because it is become tainted and no one has a clue what it means for COVID-19) what is the current force acting downwards on their virus?

Sweden Mobility Data

Sweden has had the same 'success' in reducing the virus that all the other hardest hit places did. And while their mobility increases their deaths and new ICU cases decrease. That is the complete opposite behavior you would expect from the virus. Why?

Not saying they made all the correct choices, but they give us something to compare against for data purposes from an immunity standpoint. We know how bad it was in Sweden and it was about as bad as the worst hit Western European countries who actually did lock down (again too late to matter).

Could we be doing a much better job with controlling virus spread, sure. We should continue to take appropriate actions to limit the spread, test like crazy, try and identify, and isolate cases.

We know based on Sweden, UK, Spain, Italy, NY, MA, NJ or any of these hard hit areas that the detectable '%' of AB required for a downward pressure is much lower than what would be expected to achieve herd immunity. So something else is going on in conjunction with detectable IgG antibodies.

I don't know enough to know what that is. But I know we have a control country and we have yet to see a rebound in somewhere that was hard hit.

Again, not saying the virus isn't present, and we shouldn't do due diligence to prevent the spread. Even in places that have been hit hard.

If we actually captured the true number of cases in the NE US at the peak it would be mindblowingly high but testing capacity was awful then. What we are seeing is exactly what we expected to see all along with flattening the curve, we peak lower and later than those that did nothing (or in my contention put in procedures way too late to have any actual effect on their peak).

We were too late for this just to 'go away'. So keep taking precautions and try and catch as many cases as you can to isolate.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

No. The two (2) liberal board experts have spoken. It's all Trump supporters!

I've been wearing a damn mask in public since the very beginning and more often than not I'm one of the very few wearing them. Still. Grocery stores there have been a higher percentage wearing them. Lowe's Home Improvement? Maybe 25% (and there are more now than there were at the beginning). ABC Stores? LOL.

I still have the damn thing around my neck anytime I go out, specifically so that if I am in the presence of others that are wearing one, I can put it on out of pure common courtesy. There is nothing wrong with anybody wanting to wear a mask and I can be courteous and wear one when it is necessary as well.

But it shouldn't become mandatory now. Not if it hasn't been mandatory all along. And definitely not for leftist politics. No - that's spelled N O - young people were wearing them for over two (2) months. Until the protests and riots that is. Why weren't they wearing them all along? Maybe they wear them at the protests for another convenient reason, who knows? (Lumber can do one of his famous scientific studies on it... and Civilized can chime in and agree with him)

I just stopped at a gas station / convenience store on Friday down here at the coast. I pretty much always pay at the pump - but this time I had to use the restroom, so I went inside. Place was packed. I was the only person wearing a mask. A lot of young people were in there on the way to the beach for the afternoon. No masks.

I'm still waiting to read about the first hot spot outbreak from one of the 350+/- ABC Stores around the state that were deemed as "essential services". Took them 2-3 weeks before they put up any splashguards... different construction method from store to store... about 1/4 of those workers are wearing masks anymore. They can't control who comes in and out of the door though. We talked about Lowe's Home Improvement and Home Depot. Why hasn't there been an outbreak from any place like that in North Carolina? These places get a heavy volume of Hispanic construction workers (within their mix of people from all backgrounds)... MAYBE you'll see one of the older ones (50+) wearing a mask.

But now all of a sudden after the riots and the looting and the pillaging... the masks are going to magically wipe out the virus - and anyone not wearing one is a Trump supporter. I guess Roy was a Trump supporter up until a couple of weeks ago, huh?

Why didn't we just allow people to keep smoking in every restaurant like we had done historically?
Why didn't we just allow people to ride in the back of station wagons with no seat belt before. Both of those were done everyday when I was a kid.....so we sure as heck should never have changed.

I'm not sure if masks should be mandatory or not. Seems it would have, at minimum, helped, and we'd likely be a lot more used to it now. Of course, there was no supply to make them mandatory 3 months ago. Not sure there was one even a month ago. But there is now.

As for case studies....college FB teams seem to be one. Kansas State --- had zero cases. Kids went to a party, I'm sure no masks. They went to 2, then 8, then 14 cases in just a short period of time. Out of 100 or so kids.

As for the protests....I'm sure they've had a much bigger impact than has been reported. Other than the benefit of being outdoors typically which is less of a conductor they surely were close enough to have caused spread. I think its quite clear why that's not being hyped though.

I guess I look at it and say, at the end of the day, two wrongs don't make a right. Wear masks in public or with other people.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

I definitely have the same concerns. People keep saying that we will be fine, once we get the vaccine and I cannot agree with them. I heard this yesterday from some family members. As I pointed out to them, a vaccine typically takes 5-10 years to develop, once it is developed it does not provide protection to all people, and even if effect, it will not be adopted by all people. Just look how hard it is for some people to allow their children to be vaccinated with the MMR vaccine. This is why I keep saying we are going to have to learn to deal with the virus and restart the economy with the virus present. One way to do this is by wearing masks.

One question for you regarding treatments, if you have time to answer. Over the past few months I have seen random reports on the benefits of Vitamin D to help fight the virus. I have dismissed most of these as anecdotal reports about it's benefit, since they seemed to be too easy of an answer. Last night, I watched a video by a British doctor who reports almost daily on the virus, its symptoms, and possible treatments. For several months, he has been touting the benefits of Vitamin D and in one of his most recent videos, he provide some info from a couple of studies that show Vitamin D may be effective in suppressing the body's reaction to the virus, reducing inflammation and the harm that comes from the body's reaction.

Have you seen any of these studies and if so, do you think there is something here that could be helpful? You can see the entire video here:

bigeric
Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

My father was a bit more restrictive.

Said MY rights stopped at the end of my nose.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
wilmwolf
No amount of wearing masks will make it go away. Wearing masks is an extension of staying at home, designed just to slow the spread of the virus. If/until a vaccine or treatment is created, the virus will continue to exist and will continue to kill people. Actually, it will continue to do that forever, just like other similar viruses do, it will just fall down to the range of deaths that society has silently agreed are acceptable for whatever reason. Despite all of the concern that we are somehow mismanaging this thing, deaths countrywide were at a two month low yesterday. It will jump up when the weekend reporting catches up, but it is still trending downward. If not for the epic, mind blowing failures regarding long term care facilities, how much better would our numbers look?

I have no problem wearing a mask. I have been and will continue to do so. If it means we get back closer to normal sooner, I'm all for it. But people shouldn't be under the mistaken idea that they are going to get the virus from passing someone on the sidewalk who isn't wearing a mask. We also don't need to jump to shame people who aren't wearing masks inside places like grocery stores. If there are ten people in a store, and eight of them are wearing a mask, that's ok. Yes, I've seen the graphic your Aunt Karen posted on Facebook about the odds of transmission with one person wearing a mask versus both people wearing masks, but as long as you aren't engaged in an extended, close quarter conversation with that person, just go on about your business without worry. Politicizing wearing masks is stupid, and both sides are doing it, so there is no moral high ground there.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

No amount of wearing masks will make it go away. Wearing masks is an extension of staying at home, designed just to slow the spread of the virus. If/until a vaccine or treatment is created, the virus will continue to exist and will continue to kill people. Actually, it will continue to do that forever, just like other similar viruses do, it will just fall down to the range of deaths that society has silently agreed are acceptable for whatever reason. Despite all of the concern that we are somehow mismanaging this thing, deaths countrywide were at a two month low yesterday. It will jump up when the weekend reporting catches up, but it is still trending downward. If not for the epic, mind blowing failures regarding long term care facilities, how much better would our numbers look?

I have no problem wearing a mask. I have been and will continue to do so. If it means we get back closer to normal sooner, I'm all for it. But people shouldn't be under the mistaken idea that they are going to get the virus from passing someone on the sidewalk who isn't wearing a mask. We also don't need to jump to shame people who aren't wearing masks inside places like grocery stores. If there are ten people in a store, and eight of them are wearing a mask, that's ok. Yes, I've seen the graphic your Aunt Karen posted on Facebook about the odds of transmission with one person wearing a mask versus both people wearing masks, but as long as you aren't engaged in an extended, close quarter conversation with that person, just go on about your business without worry. Politicizing wearing masks is stupid, and both sides are doing it, so there is no moral high ground there.
I agree with you. Ultimately, masks or no, other forms of preventative measures are needed -- like pairing with smart behavior and social distancing.
I just don't get the tough guys who refuse to wear one now. They aren't that bad. I don't wear them when I'm outdoors....though if I ever were inclined to go to a protest rally, I sure would.

As for politicizing it -- at the individual level, I agree....however, it most certainly has been politicized by our POTUS, and other political leaders. When you go into very public places like the Ford factory where they are required and when you know the cameras are on you, you take your mask off....that is to "encourage your followers", and politicize the thing.

Ultimately though, as Storm so angrily pointed out....its the young people who are the worst at wearing, and lord knows they lean away from POTUS....
ETA: And to bring it back more local, our governor has also proven to be a political hack thru this thing, and I'm not sure how anyone takes anything he says seriously at this point.
ncsualum05
You can forget getting everyone on board with masks or anything at this point. Our leadership fumbled the football from the start and then they picked it up and punted it in the stands and stuck their middle finger up at us. Now nobody trusts anything that comes out of Cooper's mouth and they have good reason. They should've been encouraging mask use from the start rather than shut it all down. After a couple weeks to a month of seeing how this virus reacted they could've opened back up earlier and gotten more people on board with masks. People are so sick of the politics and the virus now they don't care. Hell Fauci admitted that he lied early on about it so we could ramp up mask production. We were so poorly prepared from the start from a PPE standpoint, and we watched China hoard everything and lie about everything for 3 months to the rest of the world. And on top of that we find out that the wuhan virus believes in black lives matter but is against Trump rallies. Cooper plays political games and punts the RNC. So why would anyone take it seriously when you have the back and forth all the time from "leaders'?

I'll wear a mask in public in certain settings. I don't usually wear one at work or at a restaurant (I don't work in a big place with a lot of people). I wore one at BHI during family vacation the other week. Wearing one outdoors in most cases is stupid and I won't do it. But I don't doubt masks help to a certain extent.
Mormad
Nobody pretended a mask would end all transmission. That's silly. But masks do indeed reduce the risk of transmission, and why wouldn't we all be willing to do something so simple to reduce our risk? If it cuts the rate of transmission 10% and every human committed to taking this one simple step for whatever reasoning they chose, that could make a profound impact on our numbers and maybe help us open up or end the political nonsense??? Remember those asymptomatic testing numbers I posted from meck? 5.5% of exposed healthcare workers vs 27% of household exposed? What's the difference? Masks and hand washing. That has to at least SUGGEST to folks that we could do better if we'd just use common, simple, reasonable, and proven practices? We all wanna open things up I think. If that's true, then **** the politics and wear a mask and wash your hands. It won't magically end all transmission, but maybe it'll flatten our curve to something lower than 25k/day. Don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful that measures have flattened the curve below some of the original worries, but I'm not so sure that 25-30k/day was really the goal.

I can't help but think Who cares if the governor makes masks mandatory or should have done it earlier or whatever? We should have all taken it upon ourselves to mask up and wash up from the outset, and then maybe none of the political crap I hate so much would even be necessary or maddening because it would require no change in a reasonable and proven behavior.

I was in a grocery store in tightsqueeze, Va yesterday lol, and every single employee had their masks below their noses, and one check out lady had a face shield on without a mask. Come on, man.
PackMom
Here's another mask anecdote for you. I was astonished when a young man came to my door at supper time the other day "to share with me my insurance options." Uninvited, unexpected, no mask. I just told him I have someone to advise me and shut the door.

Why on earth would anyone be going door to door like that now?
packgrad
I don't think anyone is politicizing washing hands. It is when we start adding things that aren't being discussed/politicized that the message gets blurred and the arguments frayed. There is no doubt the governor has botched the handling of the state. Additionally the selective outrage about who is masked and who isn't masked when protesting makes you question the importance. You never hear about the "tough guys" not wearing masks as it pertains to some protests for some reason....

I wear masks when I go into the grocery store, HD/Lowe's, and basically all retail places. I do not wear them in restaurants and outside. Outside there is no need. In restaurants I don't think there is either. It's a bit of a respite for inside mask wearing for me. The most damage is going to come from the kitchen, and I can guarantee-damn-tee you the cooks are not wearing their masks over hot grills all night. Same for the dishwashers in their hot rooms. I'm willing to take that risk to eat out and feel a sense of normalcy. If seeing people not wearing masks at restaurants bothers you, I'd think you should just not go out to eat. Where grocery stores are 80/20 or 90/10 wearing masks/not wearing masks, I'd say the inverse is true for restaurants. Heck, one we ate at in Wrightsville yesterday, a couple waitresses had the mask on their chin. They're not wearing them in back.
packgrad
Yeah. That's crazy. Just for comfort of potential customers, a mask should be worn. Sales 101.
WolfPacker54
Sorry, but wearing a mask isn't political, it's common sense. Just like coughing into your elbow or washing your hands. People might want to make it into a political topic, but it's really not.

I consider myself to be quite conservative, but I have enough sense to cover my face in public when I know it reduces the chance of me getting or transmitting a highly infectious disease. You may disagree, but I think not doing so is selfish and shows lack of common courtesy for your neighbors.

What's the difference between this and seeing someone come out of a bathroom stall and not wash their hands? Society has universally agreed the latter is gross and shameful. Have you ever heard anyone argue against it? "But I hate the smell of the soap, and my hands get all wet!" Would we not all mock someone who responded that way? I see mask-wearing in the same light.
packgrad
Edit.... nothing to do with coronavirus. Deleted. My bad.
Wayland

Maybe a portion of that pressure that isn't being found in AB testing?

Alternatively, is there a possibility of calibration issues in AB testing?

https://osf.io/y3fxt/

All this is why I have been going off of a 'detectable' AB %. Because while low, there was some sort of downward pressure being applied when these hardest hit places started getting to a certain % of 'detectable IgG AB with current testing'. I am still grasping at straws, but it is obvious that there has been something missing. These may not be what it is.... but there is something forcing these curves down.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

6/16/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
829 <- 85% still stable since increased from 73% yesterday reporting
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
723 Deaths are now Congregate (+17)
97 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+7)
+36 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

334 Deaths assumed General Population (+12)
820 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+24)

193 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+6)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1196* and NandO is at 1169 deaths

751 positive cases over 12,942 new tests. 5.8% positive rate.

6/17/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
846 <- 86% reporting (was 829 at 85% yesterday)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
729 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
99 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+14 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

340 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
828 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+8)

195 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+2)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1208* and NandO is at 1181 deaths

1002 positive cases over 16,001 new tests. 6.3% positive rate.

Dates of deaths reported today:
5/22 - 1
5/31 - 1
6/2 - 1
6/13 -2
6/14 - 2
6/15 - 3
6/16 - 4

Don't know who the back log belongs to. I think the majority of the deaths today were reported out of Meck/Guilford. But since they are also the two hardest places, just as likely to be the current reports.
6/18/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
857 <- 88% reporting (was 846 at 86% yesterday) still roughly stable. higher % report.
Completed Tests

733 Deaths are now Congregate (+4)
99 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+0)
+14 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

343 Deaths assumed General Population (+3)
832 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+4)

195 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+2)

WRAL is at 1222* and NandO is at 1181 deaths

1333 positive cases over 26,256 new tests. 5.1% positive rate.

7 deaths reported today occurred between 6/11 and 6/17

54% of the delta in the case ethnicity data (where available) were Hispanic.
6/19/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
871 <- 91% reporting (was 857 at 88% yesterday) new high, but higher %. Roughly stable
Completed Tests

745 Deaths are now Congregate (+12)
105 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+22 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

347 Deaths assumed General Population (+4)
850 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+18)

191 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-4)

WRAL is at 1235* and NandO is at 1181 deaths

1652 positive cases over 18,638 new tests. 8.9% positive rate.

These hospitalizations need to go down. The only bright side is that the % of reporting hospitals has increased each day that the overall number has increased. The number is relatively stable but NEEDS to decline.

The case total is lower than last Friday, so not a new high. That is a positive we see a little case stabilization, maybe.

16 of the deaths reported today are from the last week. There was an adjustment and one death was removed from 5/27. One death reported today was as far back as 5/17, one additional on 5/31.

Deaths are still being driven by congregate facilities.

Of the cases with a reported ethnicity, over 50% of new cases are Hispanic.
6/20/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
883 <- 87% reporting (was 871 at 91% yesterday) new high.
Completed Tests

749 Deaths are now Congregate (+4)
106 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+15 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

357 Deaths assumed General Population (+10)
855 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+5)

192 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+1)

WRAL is at 1262* deaths (Questionable sourcing. Doesn't make corrections when numbers adjusted)
NandO is at 1197 deaths (may be no longer keeping separate count from DHHS)

1549 positive cases over 19028 new tests. 8.1% positive rate.

Hospitalizations creeping up. Both ICU and overall are higher. Still need to turn that corner. First day in a while not driven by congregate deaths. Most of the ICU increases are coming out of EHPC (Eastern NC) and MHPC (Meck). Most other groups are relatively stable.
6/21/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
845<- 74% reporting (was 883 at 87% yesterday) Lower reporting %. Stable/Small increase
Completed Tests

752 Deaths are now Congregate (+3)
108 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

360 Deaths assumed General Population (+3)
860 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+5)

190 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-2)

WRAL is at 1269* deaths (Questionable sourcing. Doesn't make corrections when numbers adjusted)
NandO is at 1197 deaths (may be no longer keeping separate count from DHHS)

1412 positive cases over 14434 new tests. 9.8% positive rate.

3 day case rate reported last 6/12-6/14 = 4638, 6/19-621 = 4613. Cases stable week over week.

60% of new cases with ethnicity reported today are Hispanic. Need to keep focusing resources there to help.
6/22/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 12:00pm)

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
870<- 73% reporting (was 845 at 74% yesterday) Lower reporting %. Higher # admits.
Completed Tests

754 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
109 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+1)
+3 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

360 Deaths assumed General Population (+0)
860 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

191 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+1)

WRAL is at 1273* deaths (Questionable sourcing. Doesn't make corrections when numbers adjusted)
NandO is at 1220 deaths (may be no longer keeping separate count from DHHS)

804 positive cases over 11570 new tests. 6.9% positive rate.

Less than half of tests today had ethnicity data, would be interesting to know sourcing.

All 3 reported deaths were from 6/20-6/21.
Wayland
New NC DHHS Dashboard data coming today.

County demographic data coming to the dashboard.

As well as child care facility outbreaks.
metcalfmafia
My pool reopened today. All is right in the world.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Cheers to that!
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

metcalfmafia said:

Cheers to that!

Might cheers a little early today. Don't tell the boss!
Wayland
metcalfmafia said:

Civilized said:

metcalfmafia said:

Cheers to that!

Might cheers a little early today. Don't tell the boss!
Our pool reopening a few weeks ago, is one of the few things that has kept me sane. Given me a place to go where things almost still feel normal.
packgrad
Ours too. We have 2 time periods where you can go so that the staff can clean between. You can only go to one session and you have to make reservations at least the day before and can't attend without a reservation. Our pool was rarely full before this. Not a fan of the reservation system, but at least we have the pool!
metcalfmafia
No reservations for us. Just 50 percent capacity.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Ours too. We have 2 time periods where you can go so that the staff can clean between. You can only go to one session and you have to make reservations at least the day before and can't attend without a reservation. Our pool was rarely full before this. Not a fan of the reservation system, but at least we have the pool!

We live in an older neighborhood without a pool. I'd kill for access to one, reservations or not. We'll hit up Ridge Road public pool normally but not this summer it looks like.

We're contemplating just joining another neighborhood's pool. Tempted by the University Club but at $3k/year it's hard to get enough utilization out of it to justify the cost.

There are far fewer problems in your life and in the world when you're sitting beside some water with a beer in your hand!
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.