Music You're Listening To Now...

37,670 Views | 331 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by caryking
Cornpack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My favorite group, The Black Keys, is releasing a new album later this month. Based on the singles they've released, I think it's gonna be pretty good.

Here's my favorite one they've released so far:

Retired internet funny guy
TheStorm
caryking said:

I'm really into Melody Gardot right now... of course, I listen to mostly late 50's, easy 60's jazz.
If you don't mind me asking cary, what brand of pipe tobacco do you smoke?
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

I'm really into Melody Gardot right now... of course, I listen to mostly late 50's, easy 60's jazz.
If you don't mind me asking cary, what brand of pipe tobacco do you smoke?
LOL... yea, I'm not a smoker. Like I've said before, I'm the most odd redneck on the board. God, Guns, NASCAR, and Jazz.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
Packchem91 said:

Zach Bryan. Grew up in the Texas / OK Red Dirt music scene. I heard one of his songs on Yellowstone (great show for upcomers in music scene), and started listening to his other songs....really like him.
I'd put him in the vein of Tyler Childers, with more Texas sound than Kentucky twang.

Has a new album coming out of 30 songs he's written

This one, which have seen in lots of concert performance on his IG feed, may be the best of all he's done so far - Something in the Orange

Wolfer79
Brooks and Dunn
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Brooks and Dunn
Good call. I know nashville country music has gone off the rails with the groups today, but Brooks and Dunn was so good.
caryking
Any of you music folks also have a nice 2-channel audio system?

Joe Biden
smitt86
Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Zach Bryan. Grew up in the Texas / OK Red Dirt music scene. I heard one of his songs on Yellowstone (great show for upcomers in music scene), and started listening to his other songs....really like him.
I'd put him in the vein of Tyler Childers, with more Texas sound than Kentucky twang.

This one, which have seen in lots of concert performance on his IG feed, may be the best of all he's done so far - Something in the Orange

His latest release "Open the Gate" is fantastic and almost guaranteed to he on an episode of Yellowstone.

Saw OP compared him to Childers, which I get but think is a bit unfair. Childers is so damn good and this kid is just busting on the scene. Has a ton of potential as a songwriter but not nearly as good vocally as Tyler. Saw Tyler and Sturgill live and Tyler has a freight train of a voice.
Oldsouljer
Sexual chocolate.
Packchem91
smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

His latest release "Open the Gate" is fantastic and almost guaranteed to he on an episode of Yellowstone.

Saw OP compared him to Childers, which I get but think is a bit unfair. Childers is so damn good and this kid is just busting on the scene. Has a ton of potential as a songwriter but not nearly as good vocally as Tyler. Saw Tyler and Sturgill live and Tyler has a freight train of a voice.

Haaa, I was the OP too. I agree he doesn't have the vocal power of Tyler….my comparison was more on the legit songwriting skills and strength of song. And he's never had any production until this new record! Just give the guitar and let him play

I saw that Sturgill / Childers concert, and for that particular night…Childers was the better performer.
But that was Sturgills rock concert (amd he had Covid). I'd like to see him at the Ryman with the bluegrass players
Packchem91
smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Btw, to your point on Tyler, just stumbled across this. That voice, my goodness. So so talented

TheStorm
Driving the other day and was flipping through Sirius XM on my steering wheel and happened upon a Seals and Croft intro... literally caught the very first notes.

I became immediately jacked because I was absolutely sure that it was the start of "Summer Erb" (makes me feel fine... blowin' through the jasmine in my mi-ind...).

My euphoria was very short lived, as alas... it was "We may never pass this way again" instead.
GuerrillaPack
There are so many "forgotten" and criminally underrated American rock bands. IMO, these two bands here (among many others of that era) blow The Beatles out of the water. For some reason, the "Establishment" has propagandized Americans to believe that all the "best" bands are British.

Wolfer79
going through episodes of Live From Daryl's House
GuerrillaPack
Wolfer79
Eric Church

Sinners Like Me

Heart on Fire
caryking
Still listening to Jazz from the 50's and 60's. Also, The (Young) Rascals were a very good band. They were based out of New York.

Joe Biden
WolfQuacker
Just finished 3 nights of Billy Strings at Koka Booth here in Cary. They are one of my very top favorite bands right now and Koka Booth is about 3 miles from our house, as the crow flies. Did not disappoint. Over the course of the 3 nights, they did 78 songs and no repeats. The lead guitarist and namesake of the band, Billy Strings (real name William Apostel) led a pretty tough life in rural Michigan surrounded by heavy meth and other drug usage. This step-father introduced him to bluegrass music at an early age and he grew up learning to play that (Watson, Scruggs, Flat, etc). The band does do a good bit of traditional bluegrass, but most of their songs incorporate the jam band and metal influences from Billy's teen years. Many songs, like linked below, can go 15-20 minutes live and you can really feel the Grateful Dead influence. A big part of their success is that Billy surrounded himself with a phenomenal banjo, mandolin, and bass player. All of them are incredible at their craft, and Billy is a phenom on the guitar - best flat picker maybe ever (Grammy's to back up my claim). It's amazing to hear some of the jammy stuff that comes out of his 6-string acoustic guitar, the same guitar that has beautiful tone on a plat picked Red Rocking Chair or Rueben's Train a song or two earlier.

If you are into this kind of music, even a little bit, I encourage you to check it out - especially a live show if possible.

Wolfer79
Scotty's "Damn Straitt" is a well written song
caryking
This is my best friend, from High School, band... He plays the banjo...

Joe Biden
WPNfamily
It's been 6 months nonstop Whisky Meyers, Blackberry Smoke, and Cody Jinx for me.
Wolfer79
Meatloaf

Two out of Three ain't Bad

Bat Outta Hell

Rock and Roll Dreams Come True

not a fan of Paradise by the Dashboard lights except end when they get to "now I'm praying for the end of time"
Bell Tower Grey
I've always had a thing for jazz. Been on a Mindi Abair binge lately. Great alto saxophonist. She's made some good music. Currently have her album "It Just Happens That Way" on in the background. An easy on the eyes 53 year old that can blow a horn. She performs solo and also with her band, The Boneshakers.

smitt86
Wolfer79 said:

Meatloaf

Bat Outta Hell

not a fan of Paradise by the Dashboard lights except end when they get to "now I'm praying for the end of time"
There aren't many "bad" Meatloaf songs.

Those are some classics, but over the last few months I've really been into:
"All Revved Up with No Place To Go"
"Objects In the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are"
"Not A Dry Eye In The House"
and "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth"
Wolfer79
Godspell
movie version
TheStorm
Hilarious. Tommy James and The Rascals better than The Beatles... always good for a laugh, you are.

You can take The Beatles and split them up into the four solo acts and each of the four had more Billboard appearances as individuals than either one of your examples.

Sometimes it just makes better sense not to make a stupid comment to start with...
caryking
TheStorm said:

Hilarious. Tommy James and The Rascals better than The Beatles... always good for a laugh, you are.

You can take The Beatles and split them up into the four solo acts and each of the four had more Billboard appearances as individuals than either one of your examples.

Sometimes it just makes better sense not to make a stupid comment to start with...
I'm not much of a Beatles listener and I agree, there is no comparison between the two bands. That said, The Rascals had some really, really good songs!

Best live concert - Paul McCartney

That was an amazing show. Thinking about what I saw, the historical relevance was awesome. BTW, it was at Carter Finley Stadium.

Joe Biden
GuerrillaPack
TheStorm said:

Everything with art and music is personal preference. "The World" apparently thinks that "Friends" or "Big Bang Theory" are great TV shows. I find both of those shows to be absolutely revolting and unwatchable.

Same with the Beatles. I don't care how many people consider them to be "the greatest ever" or whatever. I hate their music. Probably the "best" song they recorded that I can listen to is "Twist and Shout", and that was a cover song that was done better by The Isley Brothers, and which the Beatles just copied. By the way, The Beatles are well known to have plagiarized and stolen much of "their" music -- much from American blues artists. And Led Zeppelin did the same thing. Search YouTube for it, and there's many videos proving it.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Marco
LIV Golf is in New Jersey this weekend, hosted by you kno who!!Who going?9/11,never forget!!Of course he did,all about tha money with him!Disgusting!!Get mad all you want,facts are facts!If ole Joe was hosting some of you would have heart attack!!Jus my opinion!!Gooack!
Packchem91
smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Another example of your point about Childers. That is a special voice. Hope he releases a new record soon

Wolfer79
Marco said:

LIV Golf is in New Jersey this weekend, hosted by you kno who!!Who going?9/11,never forget!!Of course he did,all about tha money with him!Disgusting!!Get mad all you want,facts are facts!If ole Joe was hosting some of you would have heart attack!!Jus my opinion!!Gooack!

I fail to understand the connection to music, probably because I am old
Wolfer79
smitt86 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Meatloaf

Bat Outta Hell

There aren't many "bad" Meatloaf songs.

Those are some classics, but over the last few months I've really been into:
"All Revved Up with No Place To Go"
"Objects In the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are"
"Not A Dry Eye In The House"
and "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth"

all great choices also
Wolfer79
episodes of "Live From Daryl's House "

now on The O'Jays
Wolfer79
interesting question

Of every musician who tragically died young, who do you most wish you could hear all the future music we missed out on?

Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

interesting question

Of every musician who tragically died young, who do you most wish you could hear all the future music we missed out on?

Keith Whitley
Jim Croce
Sam Wilson
Kurt Cobain
Bob Marley

I honestly can't keep up with all the rock guys who died early - I'm sure there are many…

One that would have been interesting to see how he evolved though im not sure we missed much on his music - Elvis. Im guessing he would have remained a lounge lizard, unless he'd gotten rid of Colonel Tom

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.