Music You're Listening To Now...

37,136 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by wolfbreath
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GuerrillaPack
I realized recently how underrated Seger is. Some amazing songs.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Steve Williams
Staff
Love Seger. Bunch of great songs.
barnburner
just got turned on to radioparadise.com and am super impressed. Listened for over 3 hours yesterday and did not hear a dog all night.. Played everything from Dylan to Yes to Miles Davis to Motown to Psychedelic Furs. Will be a regular listener now.
GuerrillaPack
One of the best live performers ever. The real deal

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
ciscopack
GuerrillaPack said:

I realized recently how underrated Seger is. Some amazing songs.

Bob Seger rocks....been to 3 of his concerts. The last one I went to was in Greensboro and it was snowing; I didn't realize there was a concert. I was in a convenience store on the other side of town and a lady came in saying she was going to a concert and I asked who. She said Bob Segar and my plans changed, as did the plans of the 2 people riding with me. We were near the stage, in the isle most of the night and it was too loud for the upper 70's guy who brought the liquor in with his trench coat on. He said, "They'll search me." I told him they won't search you, you old fart. I told him to go find a seat at the top of the arena and he did and he was happy then, after several complaints earlier and enjoyed the show.

Bruce Springsteen too. I have not seen either lately but they were some hard workers at concerts. I don't know how Bruce did it? Giving back at every city he went to....yeah he was making money and giving back too. Regular dude that loves music. I hate Clarence Carter is gone.
GuerrillaPack
An interesting thing to me about popular music of the 1960s is this idea that the Beatles were so great. I've never liked them or thought that their music was either that good or ground-breaking, and always thought they were hugely overrated. And while I'm no expert on music history, it seems to me that the Beatles copied the style of a lot of American artists that broke out a few years earlier -- for example Buddy Holly.

Buddy Holly, by the way, formed a band called The Crickets in the 1950s. Crickets....beatles...see the similarity in even the naming of their band?

Here's "That'll Be The Day" by Buddy Holly and The Crickets, recorded in 1957. The Beatles didn't form as a band until 1960. The look of the band and style of the music is very similar to what the Beatles produced.

Here is another American artist, Dion, who's music and style the Beatles possibly emulated. This is "Runaround Sue" from 1961.

Both of these songs are far better than any song the Beatles ever did. In my opinion, the best song the Beatles ever recorded was "Twist and Shout". But guess what... it is a cover of a song done by other artists, first made popular by the Isley Brothers in 1962. The Beatles covered it in 1964. The Beatles also copied the excellent arrangement of the song done by the Isley Brothers...so the Beatles didn't even put their own " spin" on the song.

Steve Williams
Staff
Admittedly, the Beatles were a little before my time but I couldn't tell you a single song of theirs that I like. Interestingly, Elvis Pressley was from roughly the same time period and there's songs of his that I'd still listen to today. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
ciscopack
Steve probably missed 3 channels on TV before they came out with the rotary antenna? The Beatles seemed to be a little better after they split but if you were anticipating a TV show in 1964 that others had done before and after, you know the magic of Ed Sullivan. I visited both sets of grandparents as a young lad on weekend nights. On Saturday I got to watch black and white TV and Porter Wagoner and later with Dolly or rastling or Gleason and later Hee Haw in color. On Sunday nights, I saw beautiful color TV and vivid colors but Ed waited a while to go to color but Bonanza was color as was Walt Disney's Wonderful World.....(magic stuff on Sunday night!). It's funny thinking you had a color TV and some shows were black and white and if you had a black and white TV, color shows were in black and white.

What I'm getting at, many up and coming music acts got big in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show. Elvis was there as was the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Doors, Buddy Holly, Jackson 5...

Ed Sullivan - What Was It Like To Witness The Beatles' American Debut On Ed Sullivan, On This Day in 1964?

caryking
Steve Williams said:

Admittedly, the Beatles were a little before my time but I couldn't tell you a single song of theirs that I like. Interestingly, Elvis Pressley was from roughly the same time period and there's songs of his that I'd still listen to today. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I think the Beatles and Elvis comparisons is mainly geographical. In fact, I think a better comparison for geography is Elvis and Frank Sinatra.

General points here... Elvis was more Southern as Frank was more Northern. Some in the south were turned off by the Beatles as they were encroaching on Elvis. So, I see these acts (in general) were geographically based fan support.

I'm from N.C. and so is my entire ancestry; so, I'm an Elvis fan. My wife is from Ohio and her family are Frank fans. Now, the Beatles came along and disrupted the whole music industry; however, segments were dug in and didn't like the sound.

GP, you are correct, the Beatles did copy other sounds, in fact, most of the UK were really into the US R&B sound. They put a spin on it and became popular...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Steve Williams
Staff
BTW, really odd but I did like a lot of the Beatles work as solo performers, George Harrison in particular. Cloud 9 probably ranks up there as one of my favorite albums.
Wolfer79
just seems appropriate to sing along with today

ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

BTW, really odd but I did like a lot of the Beatles work as solo performers, George Harrison in particular. Cloud 9 probably ranks up there as one of my favorite albums.
..and with these dudes....

ciscopack

Steve Williams
Staff
That's a group of legends right there.
griff17matt
I discovered Pete & Bas today and my life will never be the same
Bell Tower Grey
Never knew about this one until watching the Zurich Open while ago:

GuerrillaPack
Love the late 80s music...takes me back to my childhood....I hear some of these songs and I'm transported back to the summers of 1988 & 89 riding the slide dozens of times at the public pool in Kannapolis NC, with the sound system blasting the radio all day long.

ciscopack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Sang with passion!
GuerrillaPack
I just stumbled on this song 5 minutes ago from my YouTube recommendations. Haven't heard this in forever, but it's one of the best songs of the 80s. Shame that this isn't played on the radio anymore.

GuerrillaPack
Just heard this on the radio after not hearing in a long time. Great song.

Packchem91
Sturgill just released another new album - this one a concept album "The Ballad of Dood & Juanita", where he tells a story in a Willie Nelson style! I like it. Several songs stand on their own as really good listens, but for a guy who is truly unique in his style, its another cool effort that differentiates him from everyone else.
TheStorm
I'm trying to figure out how this thread just showed up on my watched topics thread with a new response when there are none.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I'm trying to figure out how this thread just showed up on my watched topics thread with a new response when there are none.
lol, is this your way of saying my new post is that worthless? Or is this the sign you have blocked me now?
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

lol, is this your way of saying my new post is that worthless? Or is this the sign you have blocked me now?
Man... I don't have you blocked. It just wasn't showing up on when I clicked the link.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Man... I don't have you blocked. It just wasn't showing up on when I clicked the link.
I thought maybe your last chastising of me for wasting time arguing with one of the more ardent posters had done you over, lol.

The watched topics is a feature I've never used.
BP Cox
Staff
Frampton Comes Alive FTW
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
FourOaksWolf
RIP Charlie Watts.
CALS Alumni
Gopack80
Lotta Grateful Dead for me lately. Never was a huge Deadhead, but always appreciated them and enjoyed some of their more "well known" tunes, but lately, it's been a deep dive into some really great stuff I was missing out on.

Here's some Sugaree for everyone:
Packchem91
Zach Bryan. Grew up in the Texas / OK Red Dirt music scene. I heard one of his songs on Yellowstone (great show for upcomers in music scene), and started listening to his other songs....really like him.
I'd put him in the vein of Tyler Childers, with more Texas sound than Kentucky twang.
Bell Tower Grey
Just found Ray Wylie Hubbard. Love it.
JocoPack
Can't remember if American Aquarium has been mentioned much on this thread, but the lead singer BJ Barham is a State grad and avid Pack fan. He just released part 2 of his Slappers, Bangers, & Certified Twangers albums where he covers a lot of 90s era country hits.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
GuerrillaPack
Been feeling the Bee Gees lately.

Two of the greatest pop songs ever right here...

Wolfpackrich1
Classic Rock and classic country. Old school here
caryking
I'm really into Melody Gardot right now... of course, I listen to mostly late 50's, easy 60's jazz.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.